• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
I recall there being talk about the game being completely different on higher difficulties.

Which is the best?

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Jedi Grandmaster was too hard for me personally, had a lot of fun on Jedi Master difficulty, though.

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
I ended up switching to the easiest difficulty a couple of hours in, it was the only way to make the lightsaber feel like a lightsaber.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I played it on the difficulty before the last one. (I think Jedi Master instead of Grandmaster). The game felt great, but when I got to the final encounter I ended up switching to easy, the difficulty spike was insane). You can switch difficulty at any time and there's no achievements/trophies tied to them so change it as needed

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Jedi Master is the best difficulty, if I recall. You have to play carefully and its not easy, but it makes the game intense. On easy its way too easy.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
I would say Easy Mode if you are into the story.

The game copies Dark Souls a bit too much without it being as good as those games, which means that the game doesn't give you the tools to deal with rough situations; in DS the game demands things of you that the game allows you to do, in Fallen Order the game expects you to do things the combat itself struggles to do, with slow animations or combos that can't be cancelled, etc. Higher difficultly is just an exercise in frustration rather than an enjoyable ride, unlike From Soft games imo

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Jedi Master is roughly in line with a Souls game, maybe a bit easier. Jedi Knight is supposed to be the "normal" difficulty but it's super forgiving.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Played on normal, i'm not a good "souls" player and didn't have much difficulty except for trying to beat a mini boss on the first planet right at the start of the game who kicked my ass until I came back at the end and the final boss fight. Lost both battles like 10 or 15 times.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Grandmaster or bust

Edit: to elaborate, I started out on Grandmaster, at some point I got a bit frustrated and lowered it, but it became such a cakewalk that I regretted it and switched it right back and it made the end-game parts way more satisfying. I should have stuck to Grandmaster the whole time.

Akabeko

Oct 27, 2017
I switched to Easy pretty early on. It was a little too easy, but I wasn't enjoying the combat enough to spend any time getting better at it.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
I beat it on Grandmaster (hardest) and really enjoyed the challenge it brought, though obviously there were hard or frustrating moments. You can switch difficulty on the fly so just see what you're comfortable with.

Oct 25, 2017
I think you'll be fine on normal or hard. Once you've learned every enemy's patterns hardest isn't actually that hard either. But I didn't have that much fun playing on hard when I was still learning the ropes.

I also don't think the game is "completely different" on any difficulty.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
Played on Jedi Master, felt just about right. Provided some challange without ever getting stuck somewhere, mightve been a better experience on Grandmaster though.

Oct 31, 2017
Jedi Grandmaster is what I started with and didn't look back. The tight parry windows feel so good because you know the exact rhythm you need to take out enemies. I tried a second playthrough on the next difficulty down right after my first and the larger parry window just felt sloppy.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Jedi Master pushed back enough that it made the game semi engaging, so I had a good time with that.

OP
OP
Ocarina_117

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
I started with grandmaster but these god damn ram like aliens are giving me issues.

My pride wont let me lower it :(

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Jedi Master felt right for the most part but at the second half it started to get a bit easy.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
How would people compare its difficulty to GoW? To hijack the thread a bit. Highest one on GoW was too tough for me, second highest felt great.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's a consensus already, seems like. Gonna throw my 2 cents anyway. Had a ton of fun with Jedi Master, and normal goons would sometimes kill me, to my eternal shame, which is appropriate considering who Respawn looked at for inspiration for the combat system.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I started on Grand Master while it's not super hard per se, I felt that the game's mechanics and enemy encounters weren't made tight enough for that difficulty, nor was the combat satisfying enough for it to feel good. I had trouble with timing and I was constantly getting clubbed to death by a group.

Jedi Master felt good enough though, not too easy and not too hard.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I started with grandmaster but these god damn ram like aliens are giving me issues.

My pride wont let me lower it :(
Which enemy is that?

Keep in mind there's a mini-boss early on that's really hard and will OHKO you on Grandmaster at the very start, but you can return to it later (and even in the same level a bit further you can do a plunging attack on it that takes off half its health bar). I stubbornly tried to beat it for so long like an idiot lol, it wasn't worth it, just come back later.

Fake edit: wait, the "ram like" enemies... do you mean on Kassshyk? If you're that far into the game already you're doing fine, don't give up! IIRC they are quite slow, so you can probably cheese them with Force powers like Force Slow or something to make them way easier.

How would people compare its difficulty to GoW? To hijack the thread a bit. Highest one on GoW was too tough for me, second highest felt great.
It's very different. GoW higher difficulties turns everything into damage sponges which really sucks. Jedi Fallen Order doesn't do that, instead you become a glass canon and the parry window is narrower, forcing you to git gud.

Edit: assuming GoW = God of War here but Gears of War might also apply xD

doublejon

Jan 10, 2018
I'm not super great at video games so I played on normal and it was perfect for me. Easy seemed too easy even for me. On normal I rarely (if ever) died from normal enemies, but had a good amount of challenge from the bosses.

Logan

Oct 25, 2017
Default aka standard aka normal difficulty aka the way it's meant to be played for the first/blind playthrough.

Easy - Story Mode
Normal - Jedi Knight
Hard - Jedi Master
Very Hard - Jedi Grand Master

May 19, 2020
I finished it on whatever the second to last difficulty was and I feel like I didn't get much fulfillment out of it. It plays like a sloppier version of a FromSoft game and I wonder if I would have enjoyed it more as a dumb slasher game on easy mode.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Default aka standard aka normal difficulty aka the way it's meant to be played for the first/blind playthrough.

Easy - Story Mode
Normal - Jedi Knight
Hard - Jedi Master
Very Hard - Jedi Grand Master
Idk, Jedi Knight seems like it was the devs reducing the difficulty of the game at the last minute, whereas Jedi Master seems to be the difficulty that the game was designed around. Even the sliders explaining how challenging each element of the game is are set to the 'middle' on Jedi Master.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Probably the second hardest. I beat it on the hardest difficulty without too much trouble but I also play a lot of Soulslike games.

Funnily enough, I got tired of exploring the game's world and ended up only getting the first optional stim upgrade.

I had 2 stims and didn't know you could upgrade it untill last level when I posted here hahaha.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Put it on easy cause the game is fucking tedious otherwise. I hated the game on the normal setting, but enjoyed it a lot on easy. Sekiro was one of my favourite games last year, so it's not a difficulty thing, it just feels better to me. The Souls stuff in the game honestly feels dumb as hell.

Brentos

Oct 28, 2017
I really wanted to play this game on the higher difficulties, but the load times were a bit rough after dying (for my liking anyway). I'm kind of just waiting to play it on newer hardware...here's hoping the PS5 can load these older games super quickly.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
This game is quite simply at its best during Jedi duels. You need to be on the Jedi Master difficulty for those to have the weight and tension to make them memorable. I can't imagine this game having any real impact on the easy mode.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on how into action games you are cause I would always recommend cranking the difficulty up if your a very seasoned player. If you're just there to take in the story then obviously you can crank it down. The best option is to just not play at all because boy Fallen Order is bad.

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
Jedi master felt just about right for me. A little tough in the beginning, but you became a unstoppable Jedi later on which I enjoyed.

May 19, 2020
Depends on how into action games you are cause I would always recommend cranking the difficulty up if your a very seasoned player. If you're just there to take in the story then obviously you can crank it down. The best option is to just not play at all because boy Fallen Order is bad.
I wouldn't call Fallen Order bad, it's just aggressively mediocre/unmemorable and gets a huge pass because of a drought in single player Star Wars games. I've absolutely played worse action games.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't call Fallen Order bad, it's just aggressively mediocre/unmemorable and gets a huge pass because of a drought in single player Star Wars games. I've absolutely played worse action games.

Honestly? I think being mediocre is more of a crime than being bad. Being outright bad is sometimes way more entertaining than something that lands so firmly in the middle that its completely unremarkable.

Mathiassen

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Played it on normal. Started out on the hardest but the long load times after death were just horrible. Lost patience.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Which enemy is that?

Keep in mind there's a mini-boss early on that's really hard and will OHKO you on Grandmaster at the very start, but you can return to it later (and even in the same level a bit further you can do a plunging attack on it that takes off half its health bar). I stubbornly tried to beat it for so long like an idiot lol, it wasn't worth it, just come back later.

Fake edit: wait, the "ram like" enemies... do you mean on Kassshyk? If you're that far into the game already you're doing fine, don't give up! IIRC they are quite slow, so you can probably cheese them with Force powers like Force Slow or something to make them way easier.

It's very different. GoW higher difficulties turns everything into damage sponges which really sucks. Jedi Fallen Order doesn't do that, instead you become a glass canon and the parry window is narrower, forcing you to git gud.

Edit: assuming GoW = God of War here but Gears of War might also apply xD

Uhh yeah its God of War sorry lol

Okay good to know. Can I change difficulties here unlike in GoW if I pick the highest one?