• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dog Weissman

Banned
Sep 12, 2020
I had an elderly Indian couple come into my work when I worked in retail who weren't able to speak English really. I used the Google translate app on my phone and helped then the best I could.

When I helped them get what they needed the older man told me I have a beautiful heart.

Was ten years ago.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
"I like how you talk"
It was unprompted, from someone I'm pretty sure wasn't flirting with me, and just really pleasantly out of left field.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
I get compliments so rarely that you'd think I'd remember them, but I don't. I guess the greatest I can think of is a young kid who I used to babysit years ago, he became such a good friend to my brother (closer to his age) and I that we just spent a lot of time together after he got old enough to mind himself. He once told me that he sort of saw the two of us together as a kind of analogue of Calvin & Hobbes, and that's probably the greatest thing anyone has ever told me. I loved Calvin & Hobbes long before this but it has made the series that bit more special to me now.

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool
"if it were any bigger it'd hurt"
"that's bigger than average"

giphy.gif

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
When I was younger, people would tell me that I looked exactly like the lead singer from MCR. Others would say I looked like Jack White. For some reason it was always those two. (I literally don't see the resemblance to White, but definitely see it for the MCR guy.)

I'm not a fan of either but it was a nice reoccurring compliment I guess.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Apparently a girl said I had cute eyes, and another girl told me I had beautiful eyes. Which, ngl, felt really good

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
"I want to be like you when I'm older."

I don't like kids much but they are alright sometimes.

"You have an ass like a professional baseball player"

I was reading a visual novel a while ago, and they kept saying that one of the girls had a big butt because she was a baseball player, and I was like what? But I guess it's a thing haha.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
One time, I was having it rough. I was venting to a friend and they said "but you're Transistor. You can do anything."

That's stuck with me forever.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Growing up, people would always go on about how long and lovely my eyelashes were.

There was also a girl who told me she would get light-headed when ever I was around her. Felt weird knowing I had that affect on someone.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
I supervise the box office of a concert venue. This one show we had, the promoter held the entire front row for $500 front row meet & greet packages. Unfortunately, these packages didn't sell well and the promoter didn't cut off meet and greet packages sales and open the unsold tickets to be purchased at the normal top ticket price until the day of the show. This resulted in 3/4 of the front row being unsold 3 hours before the show.

Some customers who already purchased top priced tickets but weren't in the front row noticed the front row came available and called or walked up to the wicket asking for exchanges. My staff and I gave them all free upgrades without hesitation because nobody was going buy these tickets at that point and 3/4 of the front row sitting empty would just be dumb.

The next day I get an email from my uncle asking me if I worked the show the night before and gave a woman a free upgrade into the front row. I say yes and he tells me that person was friend of his and they were raving to him about how it was the best customer service they had ever received and that they were a box office manager for 20 years and would have never done that themselves.

The other one I remember was in grade 10 math. The teacher had an absolutely gigantic equation on the blackboard at the start of class and as an oral exercise the class spent probably 15-20 minutes slowly working through simplifying the equation until it got down to something like y=(x-5)/3. The teacher points to the starting equation and asks "what is Y if X is -5?"

The whole class is furiously scribbling in their notebooks and I'm just sitting there looking around at the class for a few seconds thinking to myself "how does nobody else see this?" I raise my hand to 1/2 the class making "how the hell have you solved that already?" groans and I say -10/3.

Teacher says I'm right, don't use this, use that. Point of the lesson is: Simplify your equations before solving them. One classmate turns around, looks at me and says "wow you are so smart".

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
While not a direct spoken compliment, when I was in a band, a longtime fan got a tattoo of our logo. He showed me, and the lead singer, even though all seven of us were around...they just called us aside instead of doing it in front of the group for some reason. It blew my mind.

I thought about them as the band had a meltdown and broke up about two months later.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Your voice makes me wet"

Like damn, not even in the middle of sex stuff, just the middle of a combo with some girl I knew.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
asked a girl if i should get earrings and she said "only if you want to be more perfect."

after a show i performed at (guitar), an incredibly talented piano player came over to me and gave me a "we're not worthy" reaction.

i sang to someone and they got chills.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I get a lot of, "You should be podcaster/DJ/etc." because apparently the way everyone else hears my voice/speaking cadence is much better than how it sounds to me.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Well, some lady at a Sam's Club once mistook me for Patricia Arquette. That was a pretty nice compliment.

Edit: Kind of an unintended compliment I received was from my Honors professor my first semester of college. He accused me of plagiarizing a paper I turned into him, saying it was the most "advanced" he had ever read in 30 years as an undergraduate instructor. (My other professors confirmed to him my authorship of the paper.)

Last edited:

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When I was a blackjack dealer, this weird player told me I was "built like a tennis player." In my opinion, the closest to an actual tennis player I look is to that photo of Trump playing tennis, so it's quite a compliment.

terrible

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I wanna build a trophy room with all my fav compliments engraved onto gloriously tacky silver trophies (I'm Canadian so picture various Stanley Cup type things). I would polish them daily.

My most recent fav was "nice hair". Thank you, it is nice.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
Eh, I've been lucky enough to have a few. The most recent one that first came to mind was, "Wait, you've never had a girlfriend? How do you know how to do tha........FUCK"

still haven't had a gf

ProtomanNeo

Oct 27, 2017
I was vacationing in Europe and a small group of French women who turned out to be models said "sorry to bother but we just had to tell you, you are beautiful."

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know, i don't really remember compliments very much. I don't remember anyone saying i'm pretty or anything in some way that i couldn't think "yeah of course you'd say that". So i don't know. Apparently i'm pretty good at my job because i have people coming after me from recommendations i don't even know about. But that's kind of a hassle and i wish they wouldn't say those kinds of things...

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"You have the best posture I've ever seen."

Girl just stopped me in the hallway in college to say that. I was like uh, thanks? What a weird compliment. Clearly not trying to hit on me, just wanted to take the time to praise my posture. lol

Tranquility

Oct 28, 2017
I just saw my old german teacher in the supermarket. I remember on the last day of school she told me I was the best student in her 25 years of teaching.

Oct 27, 2017
Newnan, GA
The industry I work in has a lot of people that are forced to move often to find jobs. So it is tough to make long term friends. A husband and wife that I hang out with from work said to me that "we've made a lot of acquaintances over the last few years, but we definitely consider you a friend or even family".