• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SliChillax

Oct 30, 2017
Tirana, Albania
So in your opinion I would like to hear your reasons why. Removing NY and LA to make room for less known cities as I'm curious to explore America more in the near future.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
LA is not a good city to live in. It's a good city to VISIT

A ton to do, but cost of living is high, traffic is nightmarish, public transportation is garbage, it's really hot, and there's nowhere to park.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'd say it's the other way around. Things being relatively far apart and weak public transportation makes visiting things take a long-ass time. Living there though, find yourself a nice neighborhood and life is amazing. So good it almost makes me forget I'm poor.

OP
OP
SliChillax

SliChillax

Oct 30, 2017
Tirana, Albania

A ton to do, but cost of living is high, traffic is nightmarish, public transportation is garbage, it's really hot, and there's nowhere to park.
I agree that's why I'm removed it from the list immediately. The US has so much to offer and I wanna hear some opinions about less known cities

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'll quote Roger Ebert:
"Chicago is the largest habitable American city."

Honorable mention probably goes to Austin, TX, Seattle, WA, Denver, CO, Minneapolis, MN, San Diego, CA and Nashville, TN.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Sedona for the hiking without huge crowds

San Diego for the southern Cali living

Kansas City for great art, sports, food, affordable-ish housing, decent jobs, safe, pretty accepting, etc

Wisconsin for all the above reasons but no sports but better temps in the summer

Portland, Maine

Dallas ain't too bad, but I prefer San Antonio

Chicago if you have New York money, anyway

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
I suppose it depends on what lifestyle you prefer for starters. There's city life, suburban, rural and so on.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Miami.

2542-EA82-E074-406-D-853-E-C555-E48590-A7.jpg

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

I love it here and hell no the weather is perfect

(Unless you're in the Valley but don't live there)

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Depends on what you are looking for in a city. I'd say Boise is pretty damn livable.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Los Angeles is the single most overrated city in the US. Salton City, CA is the real winner. So you can live next to human arrogance in the form of a toxic, inhospitable, inhabitable "sea". The midday toxic dust and the piles of dead fish just seal the deal.

for real tho, I just spent the night in Flagstaff, and I wouldn't mind giving a few years of my life there. Grand Canyon around the corner, get to have all 4 seasons, outdoor recreation close by. Sounds good

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
If you can handle the cold then somewhere like Portland, Maine. Or maybe Milwaukee or Indianapolis for cost of living reasons.

If you can handle the heat then I really enjoyed Houston if you live inside the loop.

Outside the places on the west coast with a somewhat Mediterranean climate, most US cities are either too hot or too cold. Usually both depending on the time of year.

Wow, loaded question - do you prefer mid-sized cities or large cities?
I personally prefer to live in mid-sized cities and visit large cities, but anyways...

For now, I'll assume you mean large cities - so here a few that haven't been mentioned yet.

Minneapolis routinely gets rated highly for livability - it also has a fairly robust bike culture with some public transit to boot.
Not to mention the awesome city of St. Paul is right by. Cool winter culture (no pun intended) that seeks out being as cozy as possible, with lots of natural forests still around. And lakes. Tons of lakes.

San Diego is a tourist's dream in Southern California. Things are much more compact than LA, has great food, weather, beaches, attractions, and food! For living, it is slightly more cost effective than LA, but it's still coastal California.
It's the full package. Highly recommended if you're going to California.

Nashville is an up-and-coming southern city that I've heard nothing but rave reviews from everyone who's visited.
Great nature close by, good shopping, and tons of local great Southern food (think American BBQ and whisky) is what I hear. Lots of music is based there, but also lots of country western music - which...yeah...not my favorite.

My personal favorites for a true Southwestern experience are:
Albuquerque and Santa Fe, New Mexico.
New Mexico just has a culture all to its own - for better or worse. ABQ isn't exactly a safe city, but most tourists shouldn't find too much trouble.
Both cities have amazing New Mexican food and unique sites to see, including some excellent old towns and Native American culture. Even better, they are both connected by a one-hour train ride called the Rail Runner Express, so it's easy to check out both.
If you had to pick one for tourism, though, it's probably gotta be Sante Fe - just google some pictures to find out why.

Not to mention, along with the culture, they are both by the far southern Rocky Mountains, so you can feel free to take hikes while you're there.

Denver is out there too, but I think New Mexico is the more unique cultural experience in the Rockies - that said, Denver also has a good transit system and a fun downtown, so that's a plus. Denver would be the more livable city.

I could go on for many hours - try to list some preferences to narrow it down! There are easily 50 decent sized cities that you could get a different experience from in the US.
Edit: I based this off of your location and mostly assumed you wanted to visit some more cities - do you want to find a place to live in the US?

Last edited:

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Houston or Dallas are great places to live, not so much to visit.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Also, OP, are you interested in migrating to the US, or just visiting?

If you're just visiting, DC IMO is the best city for foreigners to visit. Los Angeles sucks for tourists, IMO.

Texas IMO is a great place to live if you're an immigrant. Houston and Dallas have high immigrant populations.

Last edited:

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
get to have all 4 seasons

Usually when people say this they mean it's freezing cold in the winter. There are four seasons in California too, but you can at least spend time outside year-round, which is extremely important to me as a dad with a young son. Fuck being forced to stay indoors for months on end because of the weather. If anything, California is still a little too cold for me--at night and in spring.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
It has its problems, but I quite like living in the Phoenix metro area. I'd actually have a hard time choosing somewhere else to live.

You say no LA or NY, but I wouldn't want to live there, or anywhere else in those states.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
It has its problems, but I quite like living in the Phoenix metro area. I'd actually have a hard time choosing somewhere else to live.

You say no LA or NY, but I wouldn't want to live there, or anywhere else in those states.

Stockholm syndrome?

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

nah. Besides the summer, I don't hate anything else here. I also hate hot weather + humidity, or humidity in general, which rules out a lot of places. I would never want to live anywhere on the east coast, I already spend too much time in the mid-west visiting relatives. The only place left is the west coast, and I want to live in a medium to large city. California hates modified cars, so I could never live there. That doesn't leave many places left. Seattle is nice, but really expensive. I haven't spent much time in Portland so I don't know much about it. There's Vegas, but is it really that much different than Phoenix? Probably not.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
nah. Besides the summer, I don't hate anything else here. I also hate hot weather + humidity, or humidity in general, which rules out a lot of places. I would never want to live anywhere on the east coast, I already spend too much time in the mid-west visiting relatives. The only place left is the west coast, and I want to live in a medium to large city. California hates modified cars, so I could never live there. That doesn't leave many places left. Seattle is nice, but really expensive. I haven't spent much time in Portland so I don't know much about it. There's Vegas, but is it really that much different than Phoenix? Probably not.

That's good to hear. Sometimes I wonder if my opinion on Phoenix is just clouded on bias because I was born and raised here, but yeah, aside from the summers, our city is pretty damn great.

OP
OP
SliChillax

SliChillax

Oct 30, 2017
Tirana, Albania
Also, OP, are you interested in migrating to the US, or just visiting?

If you're just visiting, DC IMO is the best city for foreigners to visit. Los Angeles sucks for tourists, IMO.

Texas IMO is a great place to live if you're an immigrant. Houston and Dallas have high immigrant populations.
I'm interested in moving to the US. Doing my masters and then maybe settling in after. I love New York, it's the only city I've been in the US but I wanted to see some alternatives because I hate cold winters. I come from a very lively city and I'm used to going out and interacting with people. I wouldn't fit in a quiet city where it's pretty but stale regarding social life.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
I'm interested in moving to the US. Doing my masters and then maybe settling in after. I love New York, it's the only city I've been in the US but I wanted to see some alternatives because I hate cold winters. I come from a very lively city and I'm used to going out and interacting with people. I wouldn't fit in a quiet city where it's pretty but stale regarding social life.

Houston and Dallas sound like good choices for you. Summers are shitty in Texas, but Texans are friendly and outgoing, and you can find people from all over the world in places like Houston and Dallas. It's also very cheap to live in relative to New York and Los Angeles. Austin is also very good, UT Austin is one of the best schools in the state.

Last edited:

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
I would maybe say Seattle.

Only visited in summer. Not bad.

But do you live in LA, or when people ask you where you're from you give a town and then when you realize that they have no idea what you're talking about you say LA because it's in the county and close enough?
I mean, the actual city of LA is oriented kinda weird. So you can live within the vicinity (aka a "Neighborhood") and not even know it, or you can live in a different city and be really close, eg Pasadena or Glendale. You can technically be out in the boonies near the docks and still reside within the city of LA! I consider all the regions within 323, 310, 562, etc to be LA.

Living within a 10-20 mile distance from downton is good enough, IMO. You're going to have the same amount of traffic almost everywhere and there's stuff to do all around that.

However we're not supposed to be talking about LA!

See how ridiculous the border is?

1920px-la_county_incow7je1.png

Last edited:

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
Usually when people say this they mean it's freezing cold in the winter. There are four seasons in California too, but you can at least spend time outside year-round, which is extremely important to me as a dad with a young son. Fuck being forced to stay indoors for months on end because of the weather. If anything, California is still a little too cold for me--at night and in spring.
Most places that get cold as shit, have tons of snow and ice or both have found ways to function through them. If you absolutely hate the cold then of course it'd be hell but because you've gotten several feet of snow or it's cold as hell doesn't mean the people just all get time off from work to just nope out and sit by the heater at home.

Feb 1, 2018
I'd say it's the other way around. Things being relatively far apart and weak public transportation makes visiting things take a long-ass time. Living there though, find yourself a nice neighborhood and life is amazing. So good it almost makes me forget I'm poor.

This. I found a quiet neighborhood in the northeast part and it's amazing. No annoying youtubers, wannabe actors, and dipshit transplants from the midwest, its all old people from NYC who are settling down in the west. Old money and no traffic.