• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What's the best city in Texas?

• Houston

Votes: 67 14.3%
  • San Antonio

Votes: 61 13.1%
  • Dallas

Votes: 49 10.5%
  • Austin

Votes: 262 56.1%
  • Forth Worth

Votes: 10 2.1%
  • El Paso

Votes: 14 3.0%
  • Arlington

Votes: 4 0.9%

• Total voters

Azerare

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone is moving to Austin for various reasons. Good and bad thing. Kinda sad i might not be able to find a place near my hometown with how much the city limits keeps spanning out and pushing folks out of neighboring towns.

Macam

Nov 8, 2018
The answer is obvious: It depends.

I grew up in Houston and it's improved a bit, but it's like Los Angeles without the nice weather and with a lower cost of living (because there's no zoning, hence the flooding, low density, and massive traffic). It's a melting pot, it has its pockets, great food, but it's pretty boring and you'll be driving long distances everywhere. Absurdly humid.

Austin is great if you're in college, an alcoholic, or a white tech bro (if you're all 3, congratulations). Liberal politics (with ample libertarian douches), a shit ton of bars, and mostly centered around downtown; I'm sure surrounding areas have grown since. Traffic is atrocious, but has nice green spaces. In the decade I lived there, it grew enormously and was already becoming unwieldy. The food scene was....forgettable. Fun to visit, wouldn't go back to live.

Dallas area reminded me a lot of Houston; a lot of the same issues, if seemingly snottier.

San Antonio I never spent much time in, but probably a good place these days for someone who wants the balance of Austin with one of the other major cities. I'm probably cast my vote here, if only because you could daytrip to Austin if needed, and still get the boring, low-ish cost of living Texas offers without having to go across a massive cement sprawling urbanscape, with a decent sprinkling of what made Austin fun two decades ago,

The rest of the cities blow. Galveston is trash. Corpus doesn't have anything going for it except industrial pollution. Lubbock and College Station can DIAF.

Armoured_Bear

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Why are Californians flocking to Texas?
Texas sounds like one of the least appealing parts of the USA, is it just because lots of California is stupidly expensive?

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
I used to edit the Dallas Observer's music section many years ago and have a soft spot for East Dallas, M Streets, Little Forest Hills, etc. (And I worked at a used CD store off Lovers and Greenville when those existed.) Dallas and Fort Worth each have cool pockets, where they are better to live in than to visit. I loved living right off Lower Greenville and Lewis when I was there, in terms of food and bars and things to do, and there's even more decent stuff built up there now.

Denton fucking rules. No idea if I'd ever wanna live there, but some of the best Texans on earth come from there.

Austin was amazing in the beginning of the '00s when I was there for college, back when everything was cool and dirt cheap (and SXSW was only $40 for the whole fest). There's more terrain and shit to do there, so I'll always recommend it to anybody who's never been to Texas before, but it sure ain't an undiscovered gem anymore.

I've never been to San Antonio or Houston as an adult, and never to El Paso. I should probably do that pilgrimage before Texas catches on fire.

Marfa, Terlingua, Big Bend natl park, Alpine, and that fort nearby with the observatory: do 'em all as a road trip if you can. One of the best trips of my life.

Plano can suck a fart.

Nov 2, 2017
I used to edit the Dallas Observer's music section many years ago and have a soft spot for East Dallas, M Streets, Little Forest Hills, etc. (And I worked at a used CD store off Lovers and Greenville when those existed.) Dallas and Fort Worth each have cool pockets, where they are better to live in than to visit. I loved living right off Lower Greenville and Lewis when I was there, in terms of food and bars and things to do, and there's even more decent stuff built up there now.

Hah, I'm pretty sure I know exactly the one. I lived in a suburb south of Dallas and we'd drive in to go to that place, it was that good. There was a lot of good stuff going through there, and also someone was selling promo copies of unreleased dance music to them. More than once I left that place having paid $7 for a CD that wasn't out for a month.

JohnsonUT

Oct 27, 2017
Why are Californians flocking to Texas?
Texas sounds like one of the least appealing parts of the USA, is it just because lots of California is stupidly expensive?
Texas cities are pretty good places to live relative to most other areas of the US. Texas cities are much cheaper than California cities. In addition, Texas has no state income tax. So rich people can come here, pay very little in taxes, and talk about how pro-business Texas is. For now, we will not get into the ethics of shifting the tax burden to low income citizens or the abhorrent effects on education and children's healthcare.

kms_md

Oct 27, 2017
Texas cities are pretty good places to live relative to most other areas of the US. Texas cities are much cheaper than California cities. In addition, Texas has no state income tax. So rich people can come here, pay very little in taxes, and talk about how pro-business Texas is. For now, we will not get into the ethics of shifting the tax burden to low income citizens or the abhorrent effects on education and children's healthcare.

No state income tax (it was the reason I chose TX as my state of residence in the military)

Composer

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Houston is a dirty ass city. A dystopian hellscape which brings out the worst nature in everyone cursed to live and eventually die here. On the plus side it has the raunchiest strip clubs i've ever been to, just try not to get murdered in the parking lot when you leave.

It also has great ethnic food, I would rank the food here, as even better than all the hyped Instagram yuppie places from Austin. Granted Austin gave us Ramen Tatsu-Ya and Hopdobby. But basically come to Houston for the tits and tacos(whichever order you prefer). If you are here for any other reason you are doing it wrong.

I want to experience a real city one day. Mountains, streams, lakes, the ocean, culture, history all that stuff other cities take for granted. Seriously just drive down I-45 from the Woodlands to Hobby Airport and tell me there is a God, although you'll be praying to him when a maniac cuts across three lanes going 90mph to make their exit.

Every line of this is spot on about Houston. I laughed too hard.

JohnsonUT

Oct 27, 2017
People generally like the idea of no state income tax even when they end up paying much more in taxes through high sales taxes and super-high property taxes.

report-charts-figure04.jpg

Mar 3, 2019
Houston is a dirty ass city. A dystopian hellscape which brings out the worst nature in everyone cursed to live and eventually die here. On the plus side it has the raunchiest strip clubs i've ever been to, just try not to get murdered in the parking lot when you leave.

It also has great ethnic food, I would rank the food here, as even better than all the hyped Instagram yuppie places from Austin. Granted Austin gave us Ramen Tatsu-Ya and Hopdobby. But basically come to Houston for the tits and tacos(whichever order you prefer). If you are here for any other reason you are doing it wrong.

I want to experience a real city one day. Mountains, streams, lakes, the ocean, culture, history all that stuff other cities take for granted. Seriously just drive down I-45 from the Woodlands to Hobby Airport and tell me there is a God, although you'll be praying to him when a maniac cuts across three lanes going 90mph to make their exit.

Don't forget the on ramps every 500 feet on the right, and off ramps on the left every 500 feet. Middle lane is the only safe area there

kms_md

Oct 27, 2017
I think I-35 through from north of The University of Texas through south of downtown in Austin is much more treacherous than any stretch I encountered in Houston (but it has been awhile).