• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What's the best city in Texas?

• Houston

Votes: 67 14.3%
  • San Antonio

Votes: 61 13.1%
  • Dallas

Votes: 49 10.5%
  • Austin

Votes: 262 56.1%
  • Forth Worth

Votes: 10 2.1%
  • El Paso

Votes: 14 3.0%
  • Arlington

Votes: 4 0.9%

• Total voters

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
I used to live in Denton when I was much (much) younger but I don't remember much about it. Whatever it was back then, I'm sure it's much different now.

I have family that currently live outside of Austin - it's always good for a visit. Seems like a cool city but I don't have nearly enough exposure to it to decide whether it's better than all the others.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Houston. I don't know a single city in Texas that doesn't have traffic issues so I don't get why that's even a criteria.

I drove through El Paso for the first time a few months ago and it seemed like a nice place.
As a short lived(temporary) Houston resident and frequent Texas city visitor I have to say I get it on the traffic. Houston feels like it's on another level of traffic due to how spread out the city is.

The one thing that really, really sucks about Houston is it is often a days excursion just to go from one side of the city to the other. I live in midtown/montrose and lets say my girlfriend came into town(which she did) and wanted to try In N Out and go see a movie at Alamo(pre-covid obviously) it was literally a days long excursion to drive 40 minutes to In n Out, then another 40 minutes to get to Alamo, then god forbid the movie lets out when there's traffic, and there was lol, so that was a nice 80 minute trip. Basically three hours to go from the heart of the city to two of its perimeter branches.

To me it's just a really poorly designed city. I know no city is really as good as NY in this regard, but Houston seems to be perhaps the most egregious example of poor American city planning.

But I will say, for all those faults I do enjoy the city in my short time here.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
The greatest grift Texas ever pulled is convincing people that Galveston is a good tourist destination.

I wonder how much of this is a holdover from when it apparently was a good tourist destination. At one point it was Vegas before Vegas.

I think the aquarium in Corpus is good too? Or at least I've heard.

Corpus also has the Lexington, which is a really cool ship to tour (or spend the night on if you get the chance to).

Last edited:

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
San Antonio has better Mexican food than El Paso?! It's different but I'd be interested in trying more. Dallas traffic made me feel unsafe but it's the place I'd be most likely to move to because at least it moved unlike Austin. I really enjoyed living in Austin 6 years ago but after having visited years prior to moving there, the slide downward was evident. Didn't realize Arlington was so large but I've lumped it in with that Metro. Ft. Worth sucks.

Nov 16, 2017
I lived in Houston for near five years and would move back. I made the best of the traffic by reading something like 50 audiobooks in a year, which was awesome. Food was great and my apartments were next to bars in the Upper Kirby area, so I always enjoyed that. It's on the shortlist for places my wife and I will finally end up, although I think Seattle is going to win out in the end.

The hurricanes and general flooding sucked ass though. RIP first car.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
why the hell is fort worth on that poll
Or Arlington.
We got DFW 3 times and San Antonio not even once.

8tVPuIN.gif

Anyway, it's either San Antonio or El Paso for me, I like Austin a lot too.
Though honestly, El Paso is only technically in Texas, they're not even on the same time zone as the rest of the state.

The Kidd

Oct 27, 2017
I've lived in San Antonio most of my life, so I'm biased, but I find it a very comfortable city compared to the rest. I honestly hate Austin's atmosphere and traffic. I don't dislike Dallas or Houston but would rather stay in SA.

Nov 2, 2017
Austin. Dallas is you stick to Deep Ellum.

Sadly, I don't even suggest Deep Ellum at this point. Ellum is gentrified as shit now. I've been looking for where to go, and my answer more and more seems to be leaving the entire Dallas area rather than a neighborhood, because there's really no replacement for what Ellum was 10 years ago, or even 5 years ago.

Definitely not Dallas in the summer time, went one year and almost fainted from the humidity.

I'm going to suggest you might not like Houston then. Dallas is dry by comparison.

Oct 31, 2017
I moved to Texas, just outside of the Baytown side of Houston, at the very start of the year with my family (what timing). I'd quit my job and just came down here with them, because it honestly seemed like the best, logical thing to do considering where we were and what I was doing. That there's going to be way more opportunity for me going forward down here, not considering what's happened in the world/U.S. this year...

We live on the eastern outskirts of Houston and considering how things have been, I've really not explored or seen the city proper at all. I've hardly driven around/gone out at all in this year.

I'm definitely open to moving elsewhere in the state, separate from Houston proper and staying right with my folks, but I definitely don't know where might be optimal, so this thread is definitely interesting.

For context, I come from podunk, small town Appalachia that's been on the sharp decline for years, so in many ways, a lot of stuff is both pretty exciting and a big change. The central part of the state, the Austin/San Antonio region, definitely seems like it could be the best place for me personally. More green, more hills, probably slightly less humid, and it sounds like a bit less gridlock traffic which is good but not THAT big of a deal for me honestly.

I really enjoy driving personally, so being in a vehicle isn't too bad. But I do worry about getting sick of it, which I think Houston could easily do to a person after awhile, especially if their commutes are extra hellacious.

Another thing is, the cost of living in and around the Houston area seems to be not too bad. And coming from a cheap living place, that is definitely a pro. Though the flat swamps of the Houston area is kind of drab, compared to the hilly, green, temperate weather environments I come from.

It does sound like living somewhere situated between/around SA/Austin seems like it could be a best of all worlds/maximized positives in terms of where to live here for me.

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Houston is a dirty ass city. A dystopian hellscape which brings out the worst nature in everyone cursed to live and eventually die here. On the plus side it has the raunchiest strip clubs i've ever been to, just try not to get murdered in the parking lot when you leave.

It also has great ethnic food, I would rank the food here, as even better than all the hyped Instagram yuppie places from Austin. Granted Austin gave us Ramen Tatsu-Ya and Hopdobby. But basically come to Houston for the tits and tacos(whichever order you prefer). If you are here for any other reason you are doing it wrong.

I want to experience a real city one day. Mountains, streams, lakes, the ocean, culture, history all that stuff other cities take for granted. Seriously just drive down I-45 from the Woodlands to Hobby Airport and tell me there is a God, although you'll be praying to him when a maniac cuts across three lanes going 90mph to make their exit.

Last edited:

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
The only two towns I've spent much time in are Austin and Dallas, and of those I prefer Austin, though 'better than Dallas' is an incredibly low bar. Dallas sucks.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly, I don't even suggest Deep Ellum at this point. Ellum is gentrified as shit now. I've been looking for where to go, and my answer more and more seems to be leaving the entire Dallas area rather than a neighborhood, because there's really no replacement for what Ellum was 10 years ago, or even 5 years ago.

Design District is poised to become the new Deep Ellum if its given time. Only problem is gentrification has slowly found its way to corners there as well which might keep it from ever reaching that point.

Jun 10, 2020
Texas
As an ex-Californian living in Austin, Austin is the best but I love all the major cities in Texas. All of the middle tier cities suck ass though like Lubbock, Amarillo, Odessa, Abilene, Waco, Galveston, Corpus Christi, etc.

Also, Arlington probably doesn't belong on this list.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
why the hell is fort worth on that poll

It's based on population haha. Otherwise, no one would ever put it on a poll like this.

San Antonio has better Mexican food than El Paso?! It's different but I'd be interested in trying more.

Yes. San Antonio's Mexican food is amazing especially the non-touristy places.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised by all the San Antonio love in this thread.

True Underdog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA

I'm going to suggest you might not like Houston then. Dallas is dry by comparison.

I moved away from Dallas in 2015 but even before that, when DE first got that speakeasy that appealed to the Uptown crowd, I knew it was downhill from there; subsequent bars (including that piano bar) seemed to appeal to that crowd. Nothing against them, it's just not what Deep Ellum used to be.

I used to host pub crawls in DE and am bummed at how much the "crowd" there has changed every time I go back.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
can't speak to el paso and SA too much but they're all nice places to live, especially when you factor in COL

the hate on H-town is all kinds of wtf. some of it is certainly warranted - it is an ugly ass city, strip mall hell suburbia sprawl, pub transport? *raspberry* but i suspect these people spent two days there to visit their aunt maude or something

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Fort Worth's art museums, zoo, and downtown area are all excellent. Easily the best zoo in the state. The Stockyards are a neat attraction as well. It's not unreasonable for it to be someone's favorite.

I was kidding haha. I actually like Fort Worth. It's not my favorite but it's not bad.

Mar 3, 2019
Austin is way too hipster/tech bro/buy an artisanal burger for 30 bucks for me. Downtown Houston or San Antonio has a beautiful river walk so that's might pick

Nov 2, 2017
I moved away from Dallas in 2015 but even before that, when DE first got that speakeasy that appealed to the Uptown crowd, I knew it was downhill from there; subsequent bars (including that piano bar) seemed to appeal to that crowd. Nothing against them, it's just not what Deep Ellum used to be.

I used to host pub crawls in DE and am bummed at how much the "crowd" there has changed every time I go back.

Oh yeah, that's really about when it took a hard turn.

I remember when that piano bar came in, and they co-sponsored that year's Observer Music Awards Festival, that guy trotted around all night to get introduced on a bunch of stages and got booed basically every time because the people who were at the festival were like 80% not his crowd.

For anyone not local, that festival is just held across a bunch of bars in like a two block area. A good indication of who that festival crowd was could be seen two years(I think?) before, where I was outside a biker bar that was part of the festival just after midnight and stumbled across a giant crowd around a couple of drunk folks practicing some amateur dentistry using a motorcycle and a piece of string.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
As an ex-Californian living in Austin, Austin is the best but I love all the major cities in Texas. All of the middle tier cities suck ass though like Lubbock, Amarillo, Odessa, Abilene, Waco, Galveston, Corpus Christi, etc.

Also, Arlington probably doesn't belong on this list.
Damn man, just no need for that.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
can't speak to el paso and SA too much but they're all nice places to live, especially when you factor in COL

the hate on H-town is all kinds of wtf. some of it is certainly warranted - it is an ugly ass city, strip mall hell suburbia sprawl, pub transport? *raspberry* but i suspect these people spent two days there to visit their aunt maude or something
It breaks my heart the way people shit on Houston. It's ugly and traffic sucks, but it's a huge melting pot of people who are nice/down to earth and food that's great no matter what side of town you find yourself on. Maybe because it hasn't been taken over and made New SF like Austin?

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Houston has its issues but it's one of the best values of job market to affordable housing ratios out there.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Arlen has always kinda felt like Grand Prairie to me.
Which city (or rather, suburb) would offer the most authentic King of the Hill lifestyle?
Arlen is supposed to be Garland, Richardson, Arlington and Allen. Basically all DFW suburb cities.

Austin is overrated now. There's still a lot to love but it's getting way too crowded for the infrastructure (Oracle and tesla announcements are just one more death sentence for the city). In 10 years it's going to basically be bay area unliveable for most people. Austin's also always lacked some of the really specific food diversity of Houston and Dallas.

San Antonio is amazing, people think it's just the riverwalk/highly tourist areas but there's so much great cuisine and history to discover there.

Last edited:

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
Crucial categories. Feel free to correct me.

Best Mexican Food: San Antonio
Best BBQ: Austin
Best breakfast tacos: San Antonio
Least Bad Traffic: El Paso
Best Weather: Austin/San Antonio
Worst weather: Houston
Best for watching sports: Dallas
Best for traveling elsewhere: Houston
Most unique geography: El Paso
Most unique geography that makes you want to actually go outside: Austin
Most sprawl: Houston
Best public transportation: None
Most affordable: San Antonio
Best amusement parks: Arlington
Best for big music events: Houston
Best for diverse music events: Austin
Best for college students: Austin
Most diverse: Houston
Best culture/history: San Antonio
Most unique: El Paso
Most Ft Worth city: Ft Worth
This list is pretty accurate.

A decade or two ago I would have easily picked Austin but it's gotten heavily gentrified, it's not very affordable anymore, and the traffic is ASS.

Last edited:

zerocypher

Oct 27, 2017
Native Texan here having lived in Austin, DFW, and Houston. I'm curious how Arlington made the list?

JohnsonUT's list is pretty accurate. Never been to El Paso so I can't judge. I'd like to nominate Dallas as most pretentious. Austin is also about to get stupidly expensive thanks to all the tech companies.

Deleted member 25870

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Everyone will say Austin. Which might be correct, tbh I never lived there to really say, but always had a good time when I visited.

People are really down on Houston. The humidity, the traffic, and all the potholes really don't help. But I like living in it, it's relatively affordable, major enough to get plenty of concerts and comedy shows, also movie releases, etc so you don't miss out, mostly. And there's an international airport, so if I'm traveling (usually to the Middle East to visit family) I don't have to go through the nightmarish US domestic flight experience.
Austin is too expensive for what what you get and the poor infrastructure should turn any sane person away. The city appears to be in an unstated competition for finding the worst ways to handle growth. The hype draws people in. I lived there for 11 years, but I was ready to leave in 2. Work and pay is good, but you'll spend a chunk of your day in your car. Parks are full on weekends and weekdays, with many people working short work weeks, meaning everything is always packed. It's been this way for years and the locals (those are from there) constantly ramble on about how great it was before all the Californians moved there. If one does move there make changing plates a priority.

I agree that Houston gets a lot of crap, but the work is good, the pay is good, and the cost of living is cheap. The traffic is bad, but it pales in comparison to cities of equal size. You'll probably never get bored there either. Seriously, it's a massive city and there's always something to do. Well unless you like climbing mountains. It's pretty flat.

If I had to move back to TX I would move to Houston or Dallas and make trips to CTX, or catch a flight to somewhere with more verticality on the weekends.

Please note I have no dog in this fight. I've never been to Texas, though I have a cousin that lives in Houston, but never visited there. Maybe I will someday. This is just more from my curiosity given that people are massively flocking to Texas, especially the big cities. I saw an article that about 700,000 people migrated from California, just California in the past decade, so I want to know more about all this hype. Also, I picked the top 7 most populated cities for the poll (7 choices maximum) so don't be mad at me if you city is not included.
Houston will probably remind you of LA. At least it reminds me of LA. It would feel familiar if that's where you're coming from.

The Californian influx is real though. Most are moving because it allows them to finally realize the dream of owning a big house for a fraction of the price, a nice car, and maybe even a couple of years off. I can't blame them, though the rising cost of living makes it difficult for people who are from TX.

Oh and don't let anyone say otherwise. Everywhere is hot and humid. Learn to love AC. If you aren't running it to stay cool, you're running it to keep the humidity at bay. There are a couple of months out of the year where you can drive comfortably with the windows down. Well, El Paso and west TX is dry, but that's really the only exception. Oh and also expect to drive everywhere. Public transit is nonexistent; window dressing at best.

Last edited:

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hovering over Austin, but I can't make the click because District 6 just voted in a fucking QAnon nutcase.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
As a Houstonian for the past 10 yrs, this city would suck so much less if it isn't so easy to get flooded. Even some random heavy showers can easily flood the street around my apt.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Crucial categories. Feel free to correct me.

Best Mexican Food: San Antonio
Best BBQ: Austin
Best breakfast tacos: San Antonio
Least Bad Traffic: El Paso
Best Weather: Austin/San Antonio
Worst weather: Houston
Best for watching sports: Dallas
Best for traveling elsewhere: Houston
Most unique geography: El Paso
Most unique geography that makes you want to actually go outside: Austin
Most sprawl: Houston
Best public transportation: None
Most affordable: San Antonio
Best amusement parks: Arlington
Best for big music events: Houston
Best for diverse music events: Austin
Best for college students: Austin
Most diverse: Houston
Best culture/history: San Antonio
Most unique: El Paso
Most Ft Worth city: Ft Worth

Alright list is solid but I'm going to give Ft. Worth something a little better.

Most stereotypically Texas: Ft. Worth

The stockyards in Ft. Worth is what the national and global media has extrapolated all of Texas to be since 18XX.

texmechanica

Nov 19, 2018
Yeah JohnsonUT's list is spot on. El Paso is super underrated, I recommend everyone make a weekend trip out there. The food will really blow you away.

I've lived in San Antonio, Austin, and Houston and would rate them in that order, but if you have kids or care to own a home then Houston jumps Austin.

It's really nice to see San Antonio get the respect it deserves. I feel like there was a similar thread a few years back and every mention of SA was nothing more than "Riverwalk lol SeaWorld lol".

Beignet

alt account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
As a Houstonian, I just can't vote for it. We've got some decent food and culture but the sprawl and traffic are waaaaaaaay too much and hurricanes/flooding fuck us up all the time. We also gave you guys Dan Crenshaw so... sorry about that.

Austin would be my vote but it's becoming way too gentrified as of recent and it's going to get even worse as people like Musk set up shop, and the city infrastructure is quickly becoming Houston-tier with the sprawl and underfunding in face of the population explosion. Believe it or not, the California expats we get tend be the Republican/Libertarian types who want to pay as little taxes as possible and be amongst "likeminded conservatives" while instantaneously buying all the good property after selling off their overpriced SF/LA home.

San Antonio it is then.

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
Fort Worth's art museums, zoo, and downtown area are all excellent. Easily the best zoo in the state. The Stockyards are a neat attraction as well. It's not unreasonable for it to be someone's favorite.

I'll vote for Forth Worth (formerly known as Fort Worth). It's the most relaxed of the major cities, has the best brewery scene in the state and fairly respectable on distilleries. Whenever things get back to normal, Dickies Arena means we'll get more major concerts than in the past. Even being on the extreme outer edge of the city, downtown is 15 minutes away. Heim and Panther City BBQ are two of the best in the state. We're starting to get more local spots for food/drink like Near Southside and Magnolia Ave.

Also I pay the same amount for a new 3100 sq ft house as someone in Austin would for a two bedroom apartment.

Now if you're the type who needs to be out on the town on the weekend nights, it's probably the worst of the major cities outside of El Paso, but it does have some decent spots.

My preference: Fort Worth, Dallas, Austin, Denton, El Paso, San Antonio........... Houston.