• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Honestly, it's from a game I don't even really like.

latest

I just really like the red vs blue color contrast, which also goes with the Samus vs. Dark Samus theme, and the space setting with the planet/stars below them.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
And why is it Secret of Mana?
30332-secret-of-mana-snes-front-cover.jpg

Seriously I've barley played this game and this is still one of the most gorgeous boxarts I've ever seen.
I've never played this game, but it's my choice too. Have it as my PSN theme

The JPN version is even better

seiken-densetsu-2-box-front.jpg

This artwork is probably the best I've seen on a game cover. Definitely top 10 of all time.

This is probably the coolest repeated imagery for a video game series

wasteland-3-random-pn.jpg

The statements these covers make are always immediately evident—dilapidated buildings, obvious confrontation ... The world goes to hell, and humanity goes with it

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I've never played this game, but it's my choice too. Have it as my PSN theme

The JPN version is even better

seiken-densetsu-2-box-front.jpg

This artwork is probably the best I've seen on a game cover. Definitely top 10 of all time.

This is probably the coolest repeated imagery for a video game series

wasteland-3-random-pn.jpg

The statements these covers make are always immediately evident—dilapidated buildings, obvious confrontation ... The world goes to hell, and humanity goes with it

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Yeah, it's called "Wanderer Above a Sea of Fog" by Casper David Fiedrich.
Yeah that's it thanks. Of course botw didnt pioneer the concept, but I think the parallels between Halo Infinite and BOTW are really striking. Both are anticipated entries in classic franchises that aim to chart a new course and return to relevance after some lesser entries. Both are launch titles for new hardware that are intended carry a lot of weight for making the new box a success, while also launching on the previous less successful box. For that reason I do draw a direct line between the Halo cover art back to BOTW.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Yeah that's it thanks. Of course botw didnt pioneer the concept, but I think the parallels between Halo Infinite and BOTW are really striking. Both are anticipated entries in classic franchises that aim to chart a new course and return to relevance after some lesser entries. Both are launch titles for new hardware that are intended carry a lot of weight for making the new box a success, while also launching on the previous less successful box. For that reason I do draw a direct line between the Halo cover art back to BOTW.
I get what you're saying, but speaking purely in terms of visuals - honestly, I don't see it. They have a somewhat similar composition, but they don't look that close to me. The weights are all different, the colors are different... Calling it a "rip-off" is quite a stretch IMO.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
And why is it Secret of Mana?
30332-secret-of-mana-snes-front-cover.jpg

Seriously I've barley played this game and this is still one of the most gorgeous boxarts I've ever seen.

yup this is almost thirty years old and still immediately striking, awe inspiring, recognizable.
Some of these other choices.. for example and feel free to quote me in three decades , but ain't nobody going to be remembering that Halo Infinite cover with the same type of fondness.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Psygnosis box art is always incredible to see, they were masters at amazing art.

18j2ww5p6tazljpg.jpg

18j2ww7o7yqa4jpg.jpg

And of course we can't forget the classic.

197343-lemmings-dos-front-cover.jpg

Stefarno

I ... survived Sedona
Oct 27, 2017
The box art from Gravity Rush is so good and the full version is even better:

62WuBcw.jpg

Every time this thread appears I think about how this amazing box art was ruined by sticking all those logos on it:
mPCP79u.jpg