• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Story-time

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Some games offer a real sense of adventure and the possibility of going on an adventure. They let us use their gameplay to go off and discover things for ourselves or they hold our hands to show us amazing scenes and scenery. Either way, the medium is brimming with sights, monsters and heroes that move through real ordeals to arrive in a place of change and catharsis.

It's story-time folks!

I want to know what kinds of adventures you remember from the games you played. As always, examples below for some inspiration:

OoT-Ganons-Castle-Bridge.jpg

Ocarina of Time: The finale
In the summer of 2002 I finally got to play more than just the opening hours of Ocarina of Time together with my friend who had it and an N64. Taking into account all the dungeons we completed and the temples we conquered and side-quests we cleared (Biggoron Sword ftw) the culmination was incredible and the final bosses are perfect and the ending from a story-POV was incredible. This was my first exposure beyond just having the tone of adventure that a video-game could truly go from A to B and feel as if something had moved for me. I felt the passing of time, age and wear and tear of going through so many things and seeing all the amazing things flash before me as my friend and I entered this final dungeon.

1-kyle.png

Hotel Dusk: Room 215 - Discovering the final secrets
Again, it all comes down to the finish line. This is a Nintendo DS game (for those who don't know) in a point-and-click style with very interactive and mechanical puzzles, and A+ tier writing from the golden age of NoA's localization. It simply tells a really good mystery plot with empathetic characters and people I got to know, and by the time I reached the final chapter my heart was racing. This was a page-turner, and I was standing before something completely unknown that just added up to the pile of secrets that seemed to occur in this one hotel. I will not say what the big twist is, but it can be boiled down to a single sentence. It starts with the letter "O". If you're intrigued I recommend you play this game however you can. It's simply amazing and it felt like the conclusion to a real arc as it wrapped up on par with the best TV-shows out there.

5c748a1e33453.webp

Zelda: Breath of the Wild - "Wherever You Were in the Mid-point of the Journey"
I've been quite down on this game. I think it's overrated, and in fact I put it off for the longest time after my initial 20 hours, but last year I returned. Something Miyamoto said about the game in an interview (he's exec producer on it) is that rather than telling a traditional story this game is more about the story that occurs inside the player's head, and for a long time I felt like that was a bunch of hogwash, and then... I got to this point in my playthrough. After uncovering every memory and beating three of the Divine Beasts I decided now it was time to go seek out that forest they mentioned. I found the Master Sword and was engulfed in nostalgia for the whole series. In many ways BotW feels so different for a Zelda game, rejecting most of its recent formula in favor of its 'Open-Air' design. But pulling out the sword I felt the journey I had been on. I climbed so many hills, and went to so many high places and made my way down again, always thinking about how I wanted to go from A to B and experimenting with mechanics, and along the way all you do is soak in the serene atmosphere in the game. And that makes every standout moment so much more impactful among all the low-paced tranquility. Picking up the Master Sword I could feel my purpose, to finish the last dungeon and find Ganon inside the castle. This game was a testament to how game mechanics are effectively the device to tell the story. I don't think the story is good in this game, but because the interface for it is so mechanics-driven, it almost feels like a good tale. More of this, please.

With my gushing out of the way, what are your examples of games you played that instilled a real feeling of adventure and journey in you?

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
All three metroid primes, especially the first game though in terms of an adventure. Bioshock. Paper mario 64 and ttyd.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Exploring the Ruins in La-Mulana for the first time is a feeling i'll never get again!

La-mulana 2 was amazing, but since it was the same style, it didn't feel as amazing as the first time with the first one!

Same for the Demon's soul really

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
I always got this vibe in Grim Fandango thanks to the journey-like nature through the underworld, combined with the incredibly varied and thought out locations that I still find thoroughly unique to this day.

And I'll go with you on the two Zelda's. While there are some (arguably equally) great games in the series, those two struck a chord with me that emphasised the passage of time and a hugeness, without ever diving into repetition.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
The ending arc of Persona 4, with things getting more serious until the true ending. The pace picks up, the routine is broken and you're suddenly expected to pay more attention to what's happening and solving pretty tense situations. It's a lot of fun.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
From the opposite ends of spectrum Nier: Automata and Inside

From a more traditional standpoint The Witcher 3

chimpsteaks

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Sep 12, 2019
N64 was my second console as a kid after Sega Genesis. When i played the original Paper Mario it felt like I was actually part of this grand adventure. I had this big cardboard block playset and I recreated irl that boss Goombas castle from the prologue. No matter how good of a game Ill ever play from now on, I'll never recreate the way I felt playing that game when I was ~7 years old and feeling like I was actually part of a huge quirky adventure

Oct 26, 2017
Both Chrono Trigger and Grandia absolutely nail the sense of adventure that seems so absent in JRPGs these days.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
In Death Stranding, I was trying to get from point a to b for a delivery.

I had a choice, I could take a path that went around a mountain and went through some BT infested areas or I could attempt to scale the mountain with my limited supplies.

I decided that I'd had enough of BT encounters for the day and opted for the moutain.

But I had completely underestimated just how difficult walking in snow was, how big the mountain was and how I hadn't actually account for how far the distance was due to vertical terrain.

If I'd gone the other route, it would have been slowed down to avoid the BTs, but it would have been quicker. What happened was a fight against the elements and limited resources and still ended up having to navigate BTs, all because the game didn't throw up a block to my path. I wore out boots, exhausted ladders and ropes and all of my energy drinks, by the time I'd made it to the destination I had nothing left.

And it was absolutely incredible.

idonteven

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
runescape when i was a little kid,going to a part of the map that was new to me was so awesome

Ploppee

Nov 28, 2018
The first weekend I owned Oblivion. I was 15 at the time and had just got a TV in my bedroom. I literally woke up, got myself breakfast and set off into the woods. Didn't emerge until Monday. The sense of discovery was unlike any game I'd played before. I was too young to play Morrowind when it came out but I started it for the first time a couple of weeks ago and am getting a similar experience but there's something to be said about the responsibility free amazement I felt at 15.

Sep 21, 2019
Skyrim. No game has ever gripped my attention for such a sustained period of time. Ever. All 300 hours were pure joy, and the adventures I had, little stories that developed from the emergent gameplay, and rush of adventure I'll just never, ever forget.

It's a masterpiece.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
Pretty much all of Digimon World for me.
I loved wandering around the island, not knowing what will happen. Will that digimon challenge me to a fight? To a game? Should I help it? Maybe it only wants to talk! Training your digimon to ultra level. Trying to find rare digimon that had special conditions and open up more of the island. I wonder what the jungle is hiding, or who lives on the top of the mountain. What's the deal with the spooky mansion or the giant fish in the lake? Minimal hand holding, maximum satisfaction with figuring out on your own.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still think about things I did in Half Life Alyx daily, like it was something I lived. I don't want to spoil things for people, but some of the stuff I went through is unbelievable.

Oct 27, 2017
There are a lot from back when I was a kid.

One from when I was a little older that I still remember is playing Baldur's Gate shortly after it came out. I had to go and invade some Kobold hideout or something and it was at that point that the game really clicked for me. I ended up playing all through the night until 6am without really realizing it. Then, I did the same thing the next night. After that I lost interest in the game (as I did most games during that period in my life) but I always think back to that particular experience.

Recently I've been feeling pretty good about Breath of the Wild. That game never clicked with me until about a week ago and I've been so immersed in it.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
In Death Stranding, I was trying to get from point a to b for a delivery.

I had a choice, I could take a path that went around a mountain and went through some BT infested areas or I could attempt to scale the mountain with my limited supplies.

I decided that I'd had enough of BT encounters for the day and opted for the moutain.

But I had completely underestimated just how difficult walking in snow was, how big the mountain was and how I hadn't actually account for how far the distance was due to vertical terrain.

If I'd gone the other route, it would have been slowed down to avoid the BTs, but it would have been quicker. What happened was a fight against the elements and limited resources and still ended up having to navigate BTs, all because the game didn't throw up a block to my path. I wore out boots, exhausted ladders and ropes and all of my energy drinks, by the time I'd made it to the destination I had nothing left.

And it was absolutely incredible.

Something similar happened to me when I decided to climb a mountain for a delivery instead of going around it with a path I already discovered. I just wanted to get to the summit, but it was very taxing for my equipment and by the time I got close to the top I was out of battery and a snowstorm was raging. I had no idea what to do, and I was still quite far from my destination, when out of the haze came... a battery charge station built by another player. I was so happy, I gave them a hundred likes. It was the perfect example of why DS can be so captivating and emotional. These moments make the game special, not the bullshit story.

MC_Leon6494

Sep 7, 2018
Definitely some late night wanderings in Minecraft come to mind. Just going off in a direction and spelunking to my heart's content. Ending up far far away from where I started with an inventory stuffed with loot. Clambering up mountainsides to view great vistas that nobody else has ever seen. Oooh baby

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
Super Mario RPG I think was the first game where I really felt like I was on an epic quest, exploring cool locations and areas and meeting memorable characters. By a similar nature, the first two Paper Marios fit the bill. The only other game I think to really follow up on that raw sense of adventure is Final Fantasy VII; there's nothing like leaving Midgar and exploring the map for the first time.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Pokemon Red was far from the first RPG I played as a kid, but it's one of the first games I distinctly recall getting that feeling of adventure with. Trekking through long cave dungeons to get to new towns, coming out of Viridian Forest and seeing a new cave to the side with a blocked off walkway, communicating to me that the game map is bigger than I first thought... I've always felt that the game being portable (and thus being a more intimate experience + having more time to actually play it) somewhat helped that experience a bit.

I suppose Banjo Kazooie was another one for me as well, aside from the already mentioned Grandia. (Which might arguably be the GOAT at capturing this specific feeling)

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Probably something like FF7 where the timing of the type being new and my age combined to make it feel like this wonderful, new, adventurous experience.

Mass Effect 2 was also similar in terms of me being engaged, I've never been as engrossed in a single player game as I have with that one. I felt fully immersed in that world, it felt like such an adventure.

CarolinaMike

Oct 27, 2017
Illusion of Gaia definitely gave me this feeling as a kid. I was completely engrossed in the story/adventure and got to visit the Incan Ruins, Nazca lines, pyramids, Tower of Babel, etc...

Also, I still vividly remember Hamlet's sacrifice all these years later. Legitimately, one of the most emotional gaming moments I have ever experienced.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
first playthrough of World of Warcraft co-op with my brother

also FF7 & 9 as a kid

Horror

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Instead of games, I can tell you that the one system and its library that gave me the sense of escape and adventure was the Nintendo DS.

In the midst of the housing market crash, I lost my job, my home, my savings. Through all of that, I kept my DS, even after having sold a lot of my older PS2 and GameCube games to put spending money in my pocket.

Games like The World Ends With You, GTA: Chinatown Wars, Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin, Phoenix Wright, Radiant Historia, Dragon Quest IX, motherfucking GHOST TRICK all represented an epic era of gaming for me. The DS itself took me on that grand adventure and I'd trade all other gaming experiences from any other era to relive that one high-water mark just one last time.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Breath of the Wild.

There's a certain feeling you get in past Zelda games, where you finally obtain a cool item that lets you do more than you could previously. BotW was able to do the same thing for me, except this time by constantly providing an incredible return-on-investment for my own creativity. (One of many, many examples: when I realized that you could throw a metallic boomerang in the air and then use your tablet's magnetism power to direct it wherever I wanted to create an impromptu spinning death blade, and then seeing how actually-effective it was, that was an endorphin rush akin to finding the Hookshot in OoT for the first time.) My entire playthrough was a combination of both that, a nearly endless supply of incredible vistas and sights, and tons of other big surprises peppered in, for well over 200 hours. Even the weirdly-derided puzzle shrines were a way for me to both take a break from all the adventuring and keep my creativity strong at the same time.

Honestly, nothing else is on BotW's level for me, even now. I have a feeling that will only change when its sequel finally hits.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
Though it's not what I would call my #1 game, it's what came to mind when asked of best adventure:

Dragon Quest IX on DS
288863.jpg

Yeah, your character is the silent protagonist, but everything just came together so wonderfully for me. There's a great overarching story, but you weave through all these great little story vignettes, some touching or funny, some pretty sad to be honest. And you're gradually changing classes that alter your gameplay and are awesome to look at. The gameplay the whole time just feeding more into the adventure.

I put in well over 100 hours with the game, mining grottos well after the story was over, and I loved every minute of it!

Jan 10, 2018
Playing an MMO for the first time. I remember how excited I was just to start the game launcher for Final Fantasy XI. It felt like sci-fi when real people were running around texting each other, trading items and doing battle. I've also never felt like a beginner so much as when I played an MMO for the first time. You really looked up to the ones that had a lot of resources and hours of combat experience.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Any moment in Morrowind, really. You actually had to find the place you were looking for without any map points and markers.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
When I first played Morrowind in 2003, I rolled my character wrong, tried to rush things, picked a bad weapon, and then got killed by a scrib right outside of Seyda Neen. I put the game down for a month or so. One day I figured I would try again.

And then it clicked. From the moment I left Seyda Neen and successfully made it to Balmora, I knew I was hooked. No game since has captured that true feeling of exploration like Morrowind has. Oblivion and Skyrim failed magnificently at that with their POI compass and waypoint markers.

But Morrowind was a true journey. Being told where to go rather than following a marker. Having to use my curiosity to find secrets rather than looking at a compass. It was bliss.

I'd kill for another game like Morrowind, but the high sales of Skyrim and Oblivion show that connect the dot games sell better unfortunately.

Nestunt

Oct 27, 2017
Porto, Portugal
Final Fantasy VIII and NieR Automata are just ridiculously refreshing and support the claim of "only a videogame could deliver this".

Red Dead Redemption 2 and, possibly, Ghost of Tsushima are in it to transport you into an idea you have of something.