• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

• Super Mario Bros 3 (NES)

Votes: 334 50.5%
  • Zelda Link's Awakening DX (GBC)

Votes: 58 8.8%
  • Pokémon Yellow / Crystal (GBC)

Votes: 63 9.5%
  • Tetris (GB)

Votes: 76 11.5%
  • Castlevania (NES)

Votes: 13 2.0%
  • Mega Man 2 (NES)

Votes: 23 3.5%
  • Other

Votes: 94 14.2%

• Total voters

Shion

Nov 8, 2017
There's an insane amount of amazing 8bit games, but if I had to choose one I'd go with Zelda II.

Luxor

Oct 27, 2017
List is too console specific. Elite, Lords of Midnight, Underwurlde - all on the Spectrum/C64 get my votes

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Also, a bit of a fun fact is that whether or not a console is 8-bit is not always an easy thing to define. The Turbografx-16 has an 8-bit CPU, but has 16-bit graphics processors. The Game Boy Color also has an 8-bit CPU, but it also has more colors than the Turbografx, and can do stuff like this:

Oh, there's no argument there. The "8 bit" "16 bit" etc thing was always a super crazy thing to try to define, and broke down entirely by the time the Jaguar, PS1, N64 released.

The TurboGrafx/PC Engine was released in 1987 though and intended to compete against the NES and Master System. The delayed US release and shady marketing obscures this.

Harmonius

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It's running on an 8-bit CPU, so that would make it the best looking 8 bit game out there, wouldn't it

Hard agree. FF1 doesn't hold up well at all compared to what Dragon Quest was doing at the same time.
As for the first point, I'm still not sure how I'd feel about putting it on the same stage as Castlevania 3, even though they both have 8 Bit CPUs. It feels like saying that a Ryzen 2 APU and a Ryzen 2 CPU of Similar Speed with a dedicated 1060 or higher are the same machines.

Otherwise I hard agree with that point on FF v DQ, the only issue was that III/IV on the NES had to go against 4 on the SNES in NA Iirc.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Why would you include Castlevania 1 & not the generally preferred Castlevania 3? Where's Kirby's Adventure? Dragon Quest/Warrior 3 & 4 are both fantastic games that are still very playable even today, and Phantasy Star 1 was way ahead of its time (all of which I'd much rather play than a super early Pokemon game).

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I think it's Super Mario Bros.

But there are plenty of honorable mentions...

2D Metroid for life. I don't fucks with that 3D/first person shit.

16091-metroid-nes-front-cover.jpg

9c6ea44497238a22d39a4b5f4d35b394.jpg

71emFKJi4PL._SX425_.jpg

OP
OP
Concelhaut

Concelhaut

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
Why would you include Castlevania 1 & not the generally preferred Castlevania 3? Where's Kirby's Adventure? No RPGs? Dragon Quest/Warrior 3 & 4 are both fantastic games that are still very playable even today, and Phantasy Star 1 was way ahead of its time.

Castlevania 1 is deemed to be perfect while Castlevania 3 is thought to have annoying stuff.
Pokémon is RPG

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
orNw66J.png

(Chaos: The Battle Of Wizards on the ZX Spectrum. Very early Julian Gollop, and it's phenomenal.)

Harmonius

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Why would you include Castlevania 1 & not the generally preferred Castlevania 3? Where's Kirby's Adventure? Dragon Quest/Warrior 3 & 4 are both fantastic games that are still very playable even today, and Phantasy Star 1 was way ahead of its time (all of which I'd much rather play than a super early Pokemon game).
That's not even getting into the other notable exclusions of stuff like Mega Man, which has almost his entire influence tied to the NES Era(and SNES) being considered classics, yet alone the missing PC/Other systems

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
pdrZZOB.png

I just love its look, physics, and level design. It's such a joy to breeze through, I'll never get bored of replaying it.
Its still a wonderful game.

But these kids don't understand what it was like playing Mario on its release. It blew everyones' minds. And then it ushered in a golden era of platformers.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Kid Dracula on the Gameboy.

Sweet Home, Dracula's Curse, Tetris, Link's Awakening, and Demon's Crest/Gargoyle's Quest are also very strong contenders.

Billy Awesomo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
New York, New York
Where's Super Mario brothers 2? (it's seriously my favorite NES game of all time, I beat it like once a year). Also Final Fantasy and Dragon's Quest are both missing from that list. But I guess for me it'd be a tie between Mario 2 and Tetris GB/NES.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
As for the first point, I'm still not sure how I'd feel about putting it on the same stage as Castlevania 3, even though they both have 8 Bit CPUs. It feels like saying that a Ryzen 2 APU and a Ryzen 2 CPU of Similar Speed with a dedicated 1060 or higher are the same machines.

Otherwise I hard agree with that point on FF v DQ, the only issue was that III/IV on the NES had to go against 4 on the SNES in NA Iirc.

That's because Nintendo's hardware typically doesn't push the technical envelope. The Turbo is MUCH better looking than the NES, but it's not nearly as far past the Master System which is ALSO an 8 bit system.

Most people in the US have never actually played that one- the technical gap between Master System and NES games was huge.

DDsms.JPG

ddnes.JPG

pics1.png

Deleted member 20852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We had this game when I was a kid, but it got broken somehow. Apparently it's super expensive nowadays due to the limited release. But anyway, it was one of my favourites back then! I was never very good at it and don't remember much past the first two sections since that's where my attempts mostly ended.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
All these games here are better than the ones listed.

California Games

Turrican II

Maniac Mansion

Wasteland

And I could list 100 more games.. all better than those in the poll..
... commodore 64 was (and still is) the best 8bit machine ever released.

There is a world outside of the USA.. like Europe..

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Castlevania 1 is deemed to be perfect while Castlevania 3 is thought to have annoying stuff.
Pokémon is RPG

Looking at both of these threads: https://www.resetera.com/threads/best-classic-castlevania.62397/ & https://www.resetera.com/threads/th...ectively-correct-list-by-jeremy-parish.77196/ - CV3 is praised far more than CV1 (although people also like CV1). When they decided to make a TV series based on the game series, it's telling that CV3 is the one they choose to base it on. CV1 is the SMB1 of the series - it does a lot right, sets the foundations, and is a good game in its own right. CV3 is the SMB3 of the series - it expands on the original in amazing ways.

And I wonder why anyone would play OG Pokémon instead of one of the many later & improved games in the series given that the entire series is basically a remake of that original game. In contrast, DQ3, DQ4, and Phantasy Star 1 all offer unique experiences that are still worth going back to even today.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
That's because Nintendo's hardware typically doesn't push the technical envelope. The Turbo is MUCH better looking than the NES, but it's not nearly as far past the Master System which is ALSO an 8 bit system.

Most people in the US have never actually played that one- the technical gap between Master System and NES games was huge.
The Master System came out in 85. I think the NES came out in 83.

For its time the NES hardware was pretty damn good. It was really amazing to see games scroll the way NES games did when you first saw it. Obviously later hardware is going to be more powerful and capable.

I do feel like the TurboGrafx had better graphics than the Master System. Even before the addons.

Mama Robotnik

Gaming Scholar
Oct 27, 2017
Its definitely SMB3 but Wonder Boy The Dragons Trap deserves to be in the poll, that game was outstanding!

OP
OP
Concelhaut

Concelhaut

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
Looking at both of these threads: https://www.resetera.com/threads/best-classic-castlevania.62397/ & https://www.resetera.com/threads/th...ectively-correct-list-by-jeremy-parish.77196/ - CV3 is praised far more than CV1 (although people also like CV1). When they decided to make a TV series based on the game series, it's telling that CV3 is the one they choose to base it on. CV1 is the SMB1 of the series - it does a lot right, sets the foundations, and is a good game in its own right. CV3 is the SMB3 of the series - it expands on the original in amazing ways.

Sam Claiborn (IGN NES and arcades expert) played Castlevania 1 and 3 recently and he concluded that Castlevania 1 is better. Plus Castlevania 1 is one of Miyazaki's favorite games

dirtyjane

Oct 27, 2017
We had this game when I was a kid, but it got broken somehow. Apparently it's super expensive nowadays due to the limited release. But anyway, it was one of my favourites back then! I was never very good at it and don't remember much past the first two sections since that's where my attempts mostly ended.
I never played it as a kid but I love the technical stuff Sunsoft was able to do on this little machine, its clearly one of the if not the last great NES game ever made and will stand as one of those games you can marvel at how they got this even running on the machine but the best part about it is that it's a fun as heck platformer with some crazy ideas about movement.

You should try to revisit it someday the trip and adventure is definitely worth it!

theosmeo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
either castlevania 3, the original shantae on gbc, or links awakening. but old mega man games are all pretty good except for maybe 4 and 5

Lardonate

Oct 25, 2017
Always loved shmups myself so for me its probably either one of Gradius 1/2 or Dragon Spirit/Dragon Saber on the PC Engine.

I'm gonna go with Dragon Spirit. Nes versions cool but the PC Engine version is more faithful to the arcade!

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Sam Claiborn (IGN NES and arcades expert) played Castlevania 1 and 3 recently and he concluded that Castlevania 1 is better. Plus Castlevania 1 is one of Miyazaki's favorite games

And every poster in this thread that isn't you that has mentioned the Castlevania series champions 3 over 1.
Noted retro game scholar, Jeremy Parish, ranked Castlevania 3 as the 4th best game in the series. Castlevania 1 was ranked at #8.
I've played both games recently (as have many people thanks to the recent Castlevania collection) & Castlevania 1 is a good game & impressive for having started the series & being such an old game, but I feel 3 renders it mostly redundant.

Harmonius

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like citing one person from IGN vs this forum itself in a discussion for "which entry to use" is a disservice to both groups

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Home console: Super Mario bros 3
Portable console: Zelda Link's awakening

Sorry, I can't decide.