• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
Of the games I fully completed, my answer would be Indivisible. It was a fine enough game, but it was overly long and the game often had too much backtracking.

Deleted member 18179

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably Animal Crossing or Doom Eternal. In both cases I was so ready to be wow'ed and transported, but... It just didn't land. AC is so slow! And not good slow! The crafting genre has evolved so much and none of those QoL features are present.

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017
The TakeOver. Awful SoR wannabe. Bosses are all the same, checkpoints suck, the story's horrible, every stage is the same, (Hey dodge these rocks/bouncing barrels/arrows/bouncing EXPLODING ROCKS....) and suffers horribly from dude comboitis.

MasonADC

Sep 28, 2018
ACNH. Sadly I think this entry will be the standard for the future and if so I'm done with the series

Deleted member 79517

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 31, 2020
A Short Hike did nothing for me.

I don't think it's bad or anything, and I'm sure the developers are lovely people. I just felt nothing, and when it was over I was happy to uninstall it.

Oct 27, 2017
If you exclude the pile of shit games I bought off PSN because they were 10 minute games designed just to give you a platinum trophy... Then it's Doom: Eternal. By far the most disappointing game I played this year.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
The worst game I played this year in general was probably The Quiet Man. (1/10)

The worst game I've played in 2020 from 2020 is probably Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing in Disguise. (3/10)

Noog

â–˛ Legend â–˛
May 1, 2018
I feel like a bit of an asshole typing this out, but I bought a lot less indie games this year and I think that has meant that the quality of games I played has increased. I used to buy a lot of them based on hype and ultimately feel disappointed in them.

With that said, the worst game I played this year was The Avengers. The game had absolutely no idea what it wanted to be. Did it want to be a story centered on Kamala Khan's experience with reassembling the Avengers? Did it want to be a game about the five popular Avengers from the MCU? Did it want to be a Destiny-lite GAAS? Yes to all of them. But not well to any of them. The loot system was lame. The story was uninteresting and lifeless. There's a complete lack of environments. The combat isn't satisfying. A complete waste of $60 in my book.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I only played about 10 new games. So Assassin Creed Valhalla. It's too repetitive, like all the puzzles on the open world. I guess about half the chests have keys on a guard/table across the town. I think this was done to make it more varied, but it has the opposite effect.

Game was released in a rough state and requires way too many patches, to fix the crashes, frozen NPCs and buttion prompts.

NeptunePirate

Nov 1, 2017
It's not a bad game at all, but I was completely let down by Ghost of Tsushima. I was bored a few hours in. It felt like an open world game stuck in 2014. BUT I can see why people loved it, it's a beautiful well put together game.

virtua_44

Jan 16, 2019
Mine are easy. I play a bad game or two every year, on purpose
  1. The Dread X Collection - not sure if this even counts. this is an "anthology" of short horror games created during an indie dev game jam. i played it on halloween to see what was up. most of them couldn't run. the games than could were not great, but i was happy to see creativity.
  2. Guitar Hero: World Tour (for the Nintendo DS) - the only game that causes me physical pain. the DS was not mean to be played like this. ask me anytrhing.
I hate to say because I love Swery and the first game, but for me it's Deadly Premonition 2.

It runs like shit.
The story is transphobic.
It perpetuates fucking awful tropes about LGBT people being deviants.
Incest storylines are disgusting and need to go away forever.
Wow what a shame. I liked the first game a lot (though admittedly it has some vaguely transphobic themes now that I think about it).

I was thinking about playing the sequel, but now I've decided not to.

I guess Paratopic. It's creepy but not scary, mostly nonsensical, and the repeated long drives serve absolutely no purpose.
EDIT: oh YEAHH Paratopic!! I played that too. I was expecting something mind-bending rather than scary. I would've been fine if it was nonsensical, but only if it payed off somehow.
Paratopic did not pay off

Last edited:

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Avengers. I think the single player is great and the Kate Bishop dlc is a blast to play with, but the post-game content just sucks. They can add a dozen amazing characters to the game if they wanted and it wouldn't matter if the endgame content continues to be dull and repetitive as hell. I'm really worried that all those leaked characters will never happen at this point, just based on the amount of time it took for the first one to appear after being delayed and the supposed drop off of player count. Also, I'm in awe that they didn't capitalize on skins for that game. There's so much potential there, and they don't even give you anything worthwhile to spend in-game currency or real money on with the cosmetics. Black Widow has like five original skin designs and the rest are recolors of them. Why leave money on the table like that??? That's easy $$$. I don't get it.

There's a great game with co-op somewhere in the Avengers, it just got muddled up with trying too hard to be a Destiny clone. Post-story, they popped out an even more boring version of vanilla Destiny 1 with nothing much to do than Hives, Elite Hives and Mega Hives. Oh, and recycled vaults where you have to stand on numbers to complete the mission. The mission design is at the bare minimum.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
In terms of expectations and initial impressions compared to the end product, it has to be Cyberpunk 2077. I finished it more than a week ago and had time to think about it and I'm still baffled by the "10s". No amount of graphics and frames can polish this dated undercooked and unfinished game. And when I have to reload and restart multiple missions because the game glitched, something that happened across platforms, your game isn't just buggy it's broken, and that is worse when the game doesn't really have anything new or interesting outside "nice graphics" on high end PCs.

TheBored23

Aug 10, 2018
I wouldn't say that I hated it, but of the 2020 titles I played, Wasteland 3 was the one that did the least for me. I played about 12 hours and felt that it was just... Fine. The combat was okay, the world was okay, but none of it rose to a level where I felt compelled to keep playing it, so I stopped.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Not a 2020 game, but I played a few hours of God of War this year and didn't like it. That's about it.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Warcraft III Reforged.

And I didn't even buy it.

It did, however, take my existing installation of Warcraft III and made it unplayable for a long time (game would crash on startup), as well as needlessly inflate the install size by like 25GB. Apparently Blizzard thought their shiny new remaster would be so good, everyone would just completely forever forsake the original and do nothing but hand them $30+ and play Reforged for time eternal.

There's been some stinkers this year, but Reforged was the only one so bad it took another game away.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Maybe Dirt 5? I bought it yesterday, and the car physics is really limp, compared to Dirt 3 and 4.

Alooful

One Winged Slayer
Mar 27, 2020
Of Animal Crossing NH, Xenoblade DE, Hades, TLoU2, Super Mario 3d All Stars, and Tony Hawk, Animal Crossing was my least favorite experience.

I loved the series when I was younger but it's just not for me anymore. Still I think the game is a good creative outlet, with how you can combine furniture pieces to create clever scenes around the island.

Rikster

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Jun 24, 2018
California
Played a lot of games, but my god Avengers bored me to death. Repetitiveness set in real quick with combat and the open maps were lame as hell. And really three villains?

virtua_44

Jan 16, 2019
Funny how you could take a list of the best games of the year and find most of them in this thread, lol.
I was thinking the same thing. Probably more of a "most disappointing" games list, rather than "worst"

Unless everybody in this forum only plays the major AAA releases of the year, and nothing else (which I doubt)

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Bugsnax :( got it as a PS+ game on PS5, was so excited to play it, but it is Indie Game Jank from the visuals to the gameplay to the plot. disappointing.

...still keeping my "It's Bugsnax!" 7" tho

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
That's a hard one. The one game I played this year that was really bad was Pokemon Shield, but it's a 2019 title. Haven't played many 2020 titles though.

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This is tough for me. I'll say Outer Worlds - I just thought it was immediately boring.

art_vandelay

Oct 27, 2017
Watch Dogs probably. I hated the first one, liked the second one ok, back to hate on the third.

Doom Eternal was a bigger let down by far though since I actually had high expectations going in on that one...

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Keep in mind this is an enthusiast forum where everyone is making an informed decision when they decide to play a game.

We read about many terrible games that came out this year, we just didn't play them because we knew better.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I only quit one 2020 release this year and that was Raji: An Ancient Epic. Started off decently enough, but some of its strange design, repetitive combat, and mediocre voiceover work made me lose interest by the third chapter. I appreciate it for what it is, so I wouldn't say it's bad; it's just the "least good" game I played this year.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Fall Guys, I guess. It's not a bad game, I just became thoroughly bored after thirty minutes and refunded it.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
deadly premonition is an all around trash game

- the story is problematic, and feels unfinished and rushed (the 2019 sections are pretty good)
- the game is buggy and janky as hell
- the gameplay is a big downgrade from the original, and the original didn't have the best gameplay either

Mollymauk

Oct 27, 2017
Torchlight III

Big fan of the first two, but this game was atrocious. Looks like a cheap mobile game, plays awful, and is full of residue from its free to play origins.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
Paper Mario Switch is the only game I traded in this year knowing I would never ever want to play it again

Loadout

Oct 26, 2017
Israel
Minecraft Dungeons is a terrible excuse for a game. Barebones, very repetitive despite being awkwardly short, and just feels like a waste of time. This game has absolutely nothing going for him.

GlassCup64

Dec 16, 2017
I'm going with Bugsnax. I'm convinced the only people who like it is because of the song from the trailer.

Estizzle

Jan 14, 2019
#Funtime on Switch. The main levels are incredibly boring and the coolest part of the game has incredibly awful performance with freezes that are only solved by going to home menu and returning to the game, plus multiple game crashes. I've heard it's fine on other consoles but good lord it's bad on Switch.

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I found the 1.0 release of Black Mesa to be a very poor experience, unfortunately. I'd never played Half-Life but I'm a big fan of Half-Life 2 and thought that the remake of 1 looked really nice. So, like everyone else, I waited and waited until it was done and it just didn't seem to be finished at all, despite being the 1.0 release. There was a severe lack of polish in the menus, lots of graphical and audio bugs, bad sound mixing that couldn't be adjusted, and frankly I just thought the whole thing was too long and not very fun to play.

Seeing that they've continued to update the game insofar as putting out a "definitive edition" months after the 1.0 release annoys me quite a bit, because the so-called 1.0 version was clearly not complete when they put it out. The game looks to be in a much better state now but I doubt I'll ever play it again after having such a sour experience.

Sir Sonic

Jan 14, 2020
Between Bastion and Hades in my Supergiant games Binge, Transistor Really didn't clicked with me, Maybe I should give it another chance. but even the Unique protagonist and the sublime Atmosphere couldn't sell that game to me. Gameplay and specially the Crude and ugly interface of the game put me off.

and from 2020 itself...

Like many, I also got bored of ACNH but I still like the game for occasions like visiting friend's Islands or just chilling in the open. It's still a good game in my book for that

And While I HATE Tlou2's Story from start to finish (except some part of Abby's campaign), The Gameplay and Visual Presentation is still top tier in my book. can't call it the worst game.

I think from 2020, Immortal Fenyx Rising was really the worst game for me. overall it's a mediocre game. but my mistake was buying it on Switch and man the port is just slightly above "Playable state".
And gameplay wise, It really shows what was that made BotW so good and why that game's whole design philosophy was beyond some gameplay mechanics alone

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Wow what a shame. I liked the first game a lot (though admittedly it has some vaguely transphobic themes now that I think about it).

I was thinking about playing the sequel, but now I've decided not to.
I 1000/1000'ed Deadly Premonition on 360 in 2010, loved every minute of it, replayed it 2 more times over the years. When I replayed it again (Origins on Switch) earlier this year to prep for the sequel, a lot of the more problematic aspects of the game were extremely hard to ignore. I then played through The Missing (pretty good) and D4 (uh, fine I guess) just to have the most complete SWERY experience possible.

I got 10 hours into Deadly Premonition 2 before calling it quits. It's just an ugly game from top to bottom, inside and out; and only got more ugly the longer I played. You're right to skip it.

Probably Bugsnax. So incredibly disappointing. Just not fun to play.
I am also finding my least favorite part of Bugsnax is where you have to play it.

robo2000

May 3, 2018
Cyberpunk, the AI, the NPCs etc it was really a huge dissapointment for me personal. And my trust in cdpr is lower than low. Wich its a shame because after the witcher my expectations were huge (but realistic). I also believe the game isn't fixable, yes they can patch the bugs but my complaints are beyond the bugs.

Azel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 12, 2018
Yeah, Bugsnax was mine. Terribly designed game, although I enjoyed the writing and performances.