• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
FF7 remake was just a slog and I hated the combat so that. I did try a few really dull indie games on gamepass but I didn't see them through to the bitter end like I did with ff7.
This. I hated the combat, the side quests were boring, but above all I hated the story changes, Jessie, the bike guy, the fates, the awful ending, it was all just bollocks in the end.

To be fair though I had a great run of fantastic games this year so it's just FFVIIR by default. It's not terrible, just mediocre for my taste.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
Of the few new games I played, I guess... Paper Mario Origami King? I don't think it was bad or anything, it's just probably on the bottom of the list of 2020 games I played

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
Worst gaming segment was the 2020 Battletoads Spaceship puzzle which was god awful on NORMAL difficulty, I can't imagine what that was on a harder difficulty. Having you do like 8 puzzles in like a 30 second timelimit is so ridiculous where you had to start over, especially some that were really precise.

Tell me why Episode 1 takes the cake though. Having a OMG final 3 minutes does not cover up the lousy pacing, boring characters and near non-existent action in the game. I got it via GamePass but Episode 1 was so boring for me I lost interest in playing the next 2 games. I wanted to progress to see the story but the visions of it's gameplay basically tempered me wanting to go back to it. I disliked LIS: Before the Storm but even that had more action than this game. I like having trans characters and all but the game has to be fun too, sorry dontnod.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Twin Mirror by DontNod. Not a truly bad game, but nowhere near their best and overall a pretty forgettable Telltale style game. Really wanted to like it, but it felt like a hodgepodge of ideas that didn't really come together well.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't play an insane amount of new games this year.

Probably FF7:Remake

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
User Banned (1 week): Inflammatory Accusation; Hostility
Again, it doesn't matter if they're "not actually kids" when they're literally pitched as children in the beginning of the game, and then you're shown them naked in robots, so for a good portion of the game you're to believe they are naked children in robots.

Explaining it off later as "they're not actually kids" isn't really a good excuse in my mind. An easy way to avoid this? Just do face shots when they're in the robots instead of whole body shots. That way no naked bodies. Easy solution.

You either can't seem to grasp the story being told or have some personal issues you need to work out.

Nov 11, 2017
Software
Cyberpunk. Even if it wasn't so buggy it still would have been a terrible experience considering how much hyped it had (and the expectations i had).

Felt like i was playing a buggy first person watch dogs game.

Last edited:

metal

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
Cyberpunk 2077 wins handily. From the transphobia to the unplayable state on last gen to the bugs to the broken promises, deception and outright lies.

To brighten things up a bit, the best game I've played all year is God of War 2018. A bit lttp but this game grabbed me and didn't let go until I had the platinum. I have always disliked God of War games so this was a legit surprise.

StarErik

Oct 27, 2017
I had to look up a list of all released games, and I only played Grounded, Fall Guys and Age of Calamity. While Age of Calamity is a terrible experience tech-wise, I think Grounded was a major disappointment for me and makes my pick for "worst game". But it's really just not my genre. I'd call it my least-liked game, and not worst game.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
But... they aren't? Seriously go read some spoilers if you care at all.
I think you're missing the point. It's like the old saying, "If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck..." Oh but it's actually a bear, and the quacks were from a remote robot sensor, which is all revealed in the end of the game!

adz2ka

Nov 1, 2017
Discounting anything I've played less than 30 minutes; objectively it's Fifa 21. That's more an annual patch though.

Otherwise, AI Somnium Files.

GrappleMania

Oct 25, 2017
Animal Crossing New Horizon earned a special level of ire from me this year. That game is just so slow to do so many things and lacks plenty of streamlining to just make things more convenient to the point where the game became an actual chore to play. Talking to and buying thing from the camel is probably the worst UX thing I've experienced in a game in a LONG time.

BigDaddyCool

Nov 29, 2020
I'm generally pretty good about avoiding bad games, but if I had to pick, I'd say FF7R. It's an incredibly flawed game but I still enjoyed it and could even see myself playing through it again someday. It's just not as good as TLoU2, Ori 2, and Hades.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Most of the games I've played this year were carefully selected. I think my most played is Animal Crossing. Which is also probably the one I'll have to say was the worst. It probably has a lot to do with my expectations, but it's just such a bad experience for the user. There is something that could be improved with a simple change in almost every aspect of the game. I thought I'd be playing for months to come but dropped it after the second season. So much wasted time.

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
I'd probably have to go with marvels avengers. I'm not even a marvel fan so I'm not sure what I was even doing buying it. Thirsting for the loot I guess, which incidentally is the worst loot implementation I've ever seen.

Other than that... Probably carrion. It's the sort of game that should've really clicked with me but the lack of a map and the repetitive level design made it much more annoying than it should've been, and also made me completely unwilling to even attempt backtracking. Not a bad game by any stretch but definitely fell a ways short.

nath999

May 7, 2018
Probably Death Stranding, it's one of the few games this year where I just couldn't get past the mundane gameplay. There's a lot to like about the game but I couldn't get over how tedious it felt. I sunk a good 10 hours into too before I felt like I was just forcing my way through it.

Other than that I think I enjoyed pretty much everything I played this year.

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
It's definitely Cyberpunk 2077. I've played on PC and had zero crashes, few bugs, nothing gamebreaking at all. I don't have any problem with the games gameplay, the reactivity of the world, or the linear storytelling. The story just sucks and the game has absolutely nothing to say. For what seemed like a passion project at the time and was promoted to be some revolutionary thing, the game really just doesn't have any heart to it, really doesn't feel like the devs had anything to say at all. Giant waste of everyones time, especially the devs, a lot of whom seem incredibly talented. The world they created, like just the sheer geometry of it is amazing, but its all wasted on a story that is about absolutely nothing.

Deleted member 46429

Self-requested ban
Banned
Aug 4, 2018
FF7 Remake, but understand that's mostly a statement of how few 2020 games I played this year. Action games aren't my thing and the game's pacing was just awkward with a lot of padding, but for the most I like how they reimagined a lot of old scenes from FF7. But also, I don't know if I'll be getting the next FF game; they're just not for me anymore.

For reference, I think the only 2020 games I played were FF7R, Animal Crossing, Persona 5R, Xenoblade DE, and Cold Steel IV.; I'm not counting P5R and XB:DE as 2020 games since they're remasters. I played a lot of older games too, like the other trails games, Xenoblade 2, Xenogears, some Persona 4, and some others.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Code Vein. Level design and combat are everything in a Soulsborne title, and this game botched both. Dark Souls 2 is a masterpiece compared to Code Vein.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
maxresdefault.jpg

lightning16

May 17, 2019
It was Fairy Tail (not that it was bad, but just fine) until FF7R came in clutch as a Christmas present. It's not an awful game because the combat is pretty fun, but it's a slog and I'm not sure I'll be able to force myself through to the end. Entirely checked out on this FF7 Remake series going forward.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
I didn't play any bad games this year, but Bugsnax is my lowest rated at a 5/10. It was neither good nor bad. Just incredibly bland.

Honestly I pretty much expected it to be a ~5/10, but I was still in that PS5 honeymoon period and wanted something else to play.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Cyberpunk 2077, I couldn't stand the juvenile writing, the barren empty world, the performance... or anything really. 😔

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
The Avengers. played for like an evening and sold this turd instantly. runner up is Watch Dogs Legion but that i thankfully didn´t bought on my own.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
FF7 Remake was probably the worst game I played this year and it wasn't terrible, just very flawed.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Tlou2.

Not a bad game but I didn't like it at all.

I would love to see the gameplay put into factions though

Squarealex

Nov 11, 2017
Crash 4 is very a bad plateforming game
FF7 Remake, gosh the level design on dongeon is awful and the ending is all fked up... also too many Sephiroth...

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Thanks to the coronavirus i pretty much spent all of my waking time working at the hospital so i really didn't have time to play many games so weirdly enough i have to say doom eternal, i kinda liked, it a solid 7/10 but i prefer doom 2016, that game was a 10/10 for me.

In a normal year i would probably have had played 20-30 games but this year it was five so congratulations to doom eternal for being my worst game of the year despite not being a bad game at all.

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
Doom Eternal. Lore is too dense and locked behind countless collectibles, cliffhanger from the first game is not addressed (so far), and it's just not fun to play for me: gameplay objectives for upgrades make me replay encounters until I fulfill the objectives like "Kill this kind of enemy with this other weapon secondary mode hitting this exact point", and you end up juggling so many weapons I get a bit overwhelmed.

Feels like a checklist to me, and I can't get into the story as it has too much cryptic reading material and I feel out of place with all events.

Matter of taste, I guess, but I loved Doom 2016.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake is a close second, but I endured it because the combat was enjoyable.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Think I've played a total of seven 2020 games.
Bugsnax, Dreams, Loafus, Legion, Fuser, Skater XL, Devolverland Expo.

The latter being the "winner."
They deserve some kind of kudos for going ahead with this nonsense, but after 30 minutes I had negative interest in continuing to play it.
Gameplay wasn't fun and it ultimately is what it says it is; marketing.

Last edited: