• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
I make this thread every year, and each year I have to go through the list of games I played until I'm reminded of a bad one I forgot about. Well, this year, the clear choice is fresh in my mind: Cyberpunk 2077 on a base PS4. I have not played the PC version so I can't speak for that one, but I can tell you that Cyberpunk is the worst-performing game I have played for the PS4. Basically a slide show for the entire game. It's the most busted game I have paid money for in recent memory. The 55 Metascore may even be generous.

I''m not sure what the runner-up would be. I did play some Warcraft III: Reforged, and that was a disappointment, but even that is nowhere near as broken as CP2077, since the game works as intended; it's just that what Blizzard intended is worse than (and replaces) the original.

Anyway, now that we've got that one out of the way, what's the worst game of 2020 you played?

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
I played Crash 4, Ori 2, and Animal Crossing NH

Out of those, I guess Animal Crossing NH. It isn't a bad game but I don't think it's as good as the other ones

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I don't think I've really played any bad games this year. Immortals: Fenyx Rising is probably the worst I played due to it having that Ubisoft bloat, but even then it's not even remotely a bad game. In fact, it's the first Ubisoft game I've enjoyed in a long time.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
13 sentinels: aegis rim

The stupid reasons for sexualizing teenagers and a certain latex wearing character with gratuitous ass shots put me off on the game.

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Warcraft III Reforged deleted my favorite game of all time from my hard drive and also permanently removed it from my Blizzard account so I can't even download it anymore.

I think that wins.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
13 sentinels: aegis rim

The stupid reasons for sexualizing teenagers and a certain latex wearing character with gratuitous ass shots put me off on the game.
Actually, yeah, this would be my pick. It's not horrible, but the sexualized high school kids and the bog standard anime intro (high school kids in robots, etc) just don't really do it for me.

Go read up spoilers then so you can see that all of them were 18+, and why they were "naked" in the Sentinels.

Whether they're 18+ or not is kinda moot when they're portrayed in the beginning as first year high school students. So you're mean to believe they're children. Children that are naked in robots.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
I tend to drop games I'm not enjoying rather quickly but FFVII Remake was the exception because I had to see it through to the end but I truly hated that game. I don't think it's an awful by any means, just thoroughly mediocre.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Eastshade. My daughter wanted to play it and it looked fun. Love the premise. But when we sat down to play together, it was just kind of a mess. Maybe it's just the Xbox version, but it felt buggy and clunky, though I see glowing reviews of it on Steam.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As far as my choice for worst game I played in 2020 it would be a tie between Last of Us 2 and Cyberpunk 2077.

Last of Us I just wanted 15 hours of my time back. Everything with Ellie was mint then it takes a massive dump.

CP I ran on a rtx 2080 with mostly 60FPS on a mix of high settings, but even then the game does nothing remotely interesting or satisfying in the open world genre. Couple that with bugs on bugs, the canon fodder AI, awful driving, etc and it's easily the worst thing I played.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Go read up spoilers then so you can see that all of them were 18+, and why they were "naked" in the Sentinels.

Really 700 years old trope doesn't cut it with me.

1. They look like teenagers
2. They are in a highschool setting

Lame anime trope reasoning ain't gonna cut it.

Really reminds me of the "actually she's a 10000 year old demon she just looks like a kid!!!" crap.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Actually, yeah, this would be my pick. It's not horrible, but the sexualized high school kids and the bog standard anime intro (high school kids in robots, etc) just don't really do it for me.

Whether they're 18+ or not is kinda moot when they're portrayed in the beginning as first year high school students. So you're mean to believe they're children. Children that are naked in robots.

But... they aren't? Seriously go read some spoilers if you care at all.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Marvel's Avengers or Cyberpunk 2077 as a console player.

I only played Cyberpunk on a Series X so it's not as bad as Avengers in terms of overall polish or even the gameplay appeal, but I feel like I might be able to forgive the bugs in Avengers because Avengers doesn't feel like it's trying to bend over backwards to immerse me in a super serious storyline that wants to try to scratch at meaning. The effect that even a funny bug has on Cyberpunk completely brings down the entire mood that game is striving for IMO.

Neither is the worst game I've ever played or even the most disappointing, but both are candidates for the worst I personally played in 2020.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Resident Evil 3 Remake easily. not a bad game, but a disappointment and doesn't live up to 2 Remake.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Metal Gear Survive, I guess. Really did not like that game and never finished it (barely got a few hours in). The checkpoint system is infuriating in it.

Out of games released this year, I thankfully avoided the bad ones.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
But... they aren't? Seriously go read some spoilers if you care at all.
Again, it doesn't matter if they're "not actually kids" when they're literally pitched as children in the beginning of the game, and then you're shown them naked in robots, so for a good portion of the game you're to believe they are naked children in robots.

Explaining it off later as "they're not actually kids" isn't really a good excuse in my mind. An easy way to avoid this? Just do face shots when they're in the robots instead of whole body shots. That way no naked bodies. Easy solution.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Because it's fresh on my mind? Immortals. It isn't garbage by any means, but I don't like it. Considering the games I've played this year, which are mostly big budget AAA games that I enjoyed, I guess Immortals is the "worst".

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Of the games I've completed this year Resident Evil 3 Remake and The Last of Us Part 2 are at the bottom. They're not horrible, because I don't play truly horrible games, but they are games that progressively got worse and less interesting as the game went on for me.

Deleted member 76797

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
FF7 remake was just a slog and I hated the combat so that. I did try a few really dull indie games on gamepass but I didn't see them through to the bitter end like I did with ff7.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Inflammatory Accusation; Hostility
Again, it doesn't matter if they're "not actually kids" when they're literally pitched as children in the beginning of the game, and then you're shown them naked in robots, so for a good portion of the game you're to believe they are naked children in robots.

Explaining it off later as "they're not actually kids" isn't really a good excuse in my mind. An easy way to avoid this? Just do face shots when they're in the robots instead of whole body shots. That way no naked bodies. Easy solution.

Very quickly you find out they are not kids. Like complete the prologue. As for naked in robots they aren't naked in robots. The whole game is a simulation and they are in cryo tubes from conception which is why they are naked. There are no sentinels. It's a simulation to make sure they are ready to colonize the new planet millions of light years away from Earth after Earth was lost long ago.

It's not an excuse. It's told quite well and pretty early.

Sounds like you made presumptions and have self issues with those presumptions to feel like a pervert or something. :/

May 10, 2019
Evan's Remains

A short puzzle platformer with decent puzzles and platforming, but with final twists rooted in utter cynicism and disdain for the player and for humanity in general.

Basically:
Your player character is operating under the pretext of "searching for a missing scientist", but really you're an actress working with said scientist, their shadow associate (who you act openly antagonistic towards during your pretext), and the shadowy organization that both work with, all for the sake of manipulating and gaslighting a dying person. And there's other complexities that make it even more insidious, like the actress that you're playing claims to have the same name as the dying person's dead sister. So basically, the entire game that you just played? Fucking meaningless, all a lie. And there's no real moral to the story at all, everyone remotely likeable is dead at the end of the game.

Just a loathsome and disgusting pile of game.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I played five games this year: The Last of Us Part 2, Hades, Final Fantasy 7 remake, Demon's Souls, and Cyberpunk 2077

They were all good save for Cyberpunk which was a pretty mediocre RPG, and an okay-ish shooter at best. So, Cyberpunk was the worst game I played even though it wasn't outright terrible.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
There's nothing I've played this year I'd even come close to considering "bad," but I guess Godfall? It's still a 7/10 though.

EDIT: Honestly, I totally fucking forgot Avengers. Okay yeah, that.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Watch dogs legion was so bland I couldn't stand past the first hour, so it's gotta be that for me
I at least played the avengers for 30 hours but it's the easy runner up

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
Close to the Sun. was really hyped for this one.

the gameplay is non existent, the voice acting is awful, the story is very predictable and the exploration is linear and meaningless.

cool artstyle but yeah, art deco, nothing new.

FooF

One Winged Slayer
Mar 24, 2020
that release this year probably re3 which was just a massive let down or as others mentioned 13 sentinels: aegis rim which just reeked of the "18+ patch" visual novel genre so I sold it

For a game that didn't release this year Ride to hell retribution. I like to bathe in it's absolute glory every couple of years

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Not sure if it's the worst because I've probably forgotten about the worst, but the most disappointing was Avengers, for sure.

BFIB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't hate any of the games I played, but the least fun was Outer Worlds. It was a great first 5 hours, but then it becomes really tedious.

Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
I hate to say because I love Swery and the first game, but for me it's Deadly Premonition 2.

It runs like shit.
The story is transphobic.
It perpetuates fucking awful tropes about LGBT people being deviants.
Incest storylines are disgusting and need to go away forever.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Avengers I guess. Still played it for like 70 hours because I liked the combat and I got the game for free from the Verizon promo, but the environments/missions/objectives are incredibly repetitive and lacking in imagination. Most of it is copied and pasted over and over again.

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
I played F.E.A.R for the first time after seeing a few threads praise its AI. That game didn't age well IMO.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
greedfall probably, although I liked it and finished it, but 2020 was a super strong year for games in my opinion so it's at the bottom

Delroy

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Sagebrush was probably it for me. It's a game from that huge itch.io bundle. I'd heard good things about it but it just was not fun to play, look at, and the story just didn't stick with me.

Zach19593

Dec 10, 2019
WWE 2K Battlegrounds is an horrible game and I hope no one give them money for that crap work.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Kingdom Hearts: DDD.

Really didn't like the mechanics of the game and for me it was definitely the weakest game in both KH collections.

josiah

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
World of Warcraft. We gave it a try for the expansion. I think Guild Wars 2 and now BDO ruined the combat for me. That combined with the graphics made that a hard pass for us. How did it suck so much of my life in college....

grosvenor92

Dec 2, 2017
Homefront The Revolution. I glad I only borrowed it from a friend but I found the story/missions really boring. I stopped playing about halfway and gave it back to my buddy

Even though I liked the idea behind the story it definitely isn't executed very well. Also still suffers from some bugs and glitches even now

brenobnfm

Sep 28, 2019
Between Hades, The Last of Us 2 and Resident Evil 3, i'd say The Last of Us 2 is easily the worst, not sure i'd call it a bad game though.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
Paper Mario: The Origami King is by far the worst, and I really wish it wasn't. Everything that's not the combat is fantastic, but the combat is so bad that it drags all of the good stuff down with it.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Cyberpunk 2077 on Series X is a real contender. It's not completely meritless, mostly because of Keanu, but it's the first time since Aliens: Colonial Marines that I looked at a game and thought "wow, this literally has no polish."

The game is coming apart at the seams. Add in the transphobia and racial issues and it makes it really difficult for me to be forgiving to the game itself beneath that's buried under all of the technical faults.

As for that game, the world is as vast as an ocean and as deep as a puddle, the writing is so pedestrian and the narrative is so unambitious (thus far, five hours in) that it's shocking that this comes from the same team that made The Witcher 3 and the amount of bloat is just absurd. You can't take three steps without some new side mission popping up on your screen. There's a loot system that feels so perfunctory that it's abundantly clear the demand for it came from some out of touch executive who heard from their children that games with loot were "in." The enemies, normal goons wearing t-shirts and jeans, take entire magazines to put down. The aiming feels atrocious on console unless you spend an hour fiddling around with a settings menu that's dense with options and bereft of explanation.

The pacing of the narrative is fit for a linear shooter yet it's broken up by jetting around the open world, being harassed by the game as it spits new side missions at you that come out of nowhere, driving the slippery vehicles as the world streams in five feet ahead of you. Don't worry though, you'll hardly notice it under the thick blur that absolutely wrecks the IQ thanks to the abysmal TAA implementation. The game constantly looks like it's trying to peak out from behind a coat of Vaseline.

But, ya know, neon lights pretty!