• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Now that the year is almost over and we're off to the 9th generation, I would like to know what you all think is the most technically impressive character model that you've seen during the 8th generation of gaming?

You can also choose from games that have been patched for next-gen systems.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
latest

Marius from Ryse.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Ellie from TLOU2.

EclotfYWAAgFpKr

Eclow8BWAAMttd9

fQyZTCR.png

Or any of the main characters from this game, really.

Sep 12, 2018
32774054ba2aa878c596bef313374dda.jpg

Maybe bias on my part because she was my favorite character of the PS1 era but REmake 2's Claire Redfield was amazing to me. So far beyond watching the original game's CG cut scenes and thinking "maybe games will look this good in 20 years!"

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Ellie and Abby. Especially when you add in facial animations and the like.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Detroit become human had some crazy character modela as well, but animations can be a little janky, but I guess they are robots

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
They have all gotten pretty good honestly. My vote goes to Norman Reedus though.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd probably say the cinematic character models from TLOU2 or Injustice. The facial capture and animation work done in those cinematics are incredible. I feel like I remember seeing Ellie's nose deform/bend realistically when she kissed Dana. That's next level detail, IMO. The way characters remove and put on things like clothing and backpacks in TLOU2 (be it ingame or in cinematics, the latter of which obviously being more detailed) was kind of mind blowing.

Gushu

Sep 29, 2018
Ellie and Abby from TLOU2 and Arthur from RDR2.

Totally forgot Sam Porter Bridges D: Amazing model as well

Waxy

Oct 27, 2017
Ellie and Abby from TLOU2 are just insane. Big shout out to Jill from RE3R tho, I thought she looked really impressive

eebster

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Theres characters like Kratos who look great but still look videogamey. There's something dead about their eyes, no soul.
Then there are characters who just look real. Some characters from Cyberpunk come to mind (Evelyn Parker especially) or Claire from Resident Evil.

I mean, just look at those eyes. As if youre staring into the eyes of a real human

lo7gSaE.jpg

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Nah, RDR2 looks amazing overall, but the character models really aren't the best by far.
Horizon's were much better, except for the facial animation.
Horizon's faces looked like they were made from wax, RDR2 looked much more believable in this regard.

Though I think Norman Reedus from Death Stranding is the best we've seen in this gen.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Ellie and Abby are the closest we've gotten to having characters look more like actual people than video game character models.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
The more realistic characters end up looking, the creepier and odder they look to me. I think the only real way to combat that is stylization so people don't look TOO human.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
Can I factor in the way the model animates?
If so it is definitely Ellie or any other TLoU2 character.

The combination of a detailed model and believable animation makes a cohesive appearance that is far ahead of anything else I've seen so far.

Animation is also where games like Horizon or Cyberpunk lost me.
It kind of seems nonsensical to invest so much in detailed models if you don't animate them properly. It looks just dumb.

May 26, 2018
Can I factor in the way the model animates?
If so it is definitely Ellie or any other TLoU2 character.

The combination of a detailed model and believable animation makes a cohesive appearance that is far ahead of anything else I've seen so far.

Animation is also where games like Horizon or Cyberpunk lost me.
It kind of seems nonsensical to invest so much in detailed models if you don't animate them properly. It looks just dumb.

To be fair, though, the latter are open world games so animation work is going to be more thinly spread by default. They're pretty good for what they do. Same as RDR2. I think Arthur looks pretty darn good for a quasi-cartoony Rockstar-styled open world game.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Boy, when this new gen gets going...it's gonna be something to behold going off just whet's shown here.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
The models in TLOUP2. It's why the violence in the game can be so hard to watch.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Abby Ellie Joel... Nathan, they're all from the same lead character artist. So I'm just going to vote for his work.

frank-tzeng-highres-20140509-151858-fix.jpg