• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It's pretty sad.
In New York City, a man assaults a woman wearing a face mask, calling her a "diseased b****." On a Los Angeles subway, a man proclaims Chinese people are filthy and says "every disease has ever came from China."

Rampant ignorance and misinformation about the novel coronavirus, experts say, has led to racist and xenophobic attacks against fellow Americans or anyone in the United States who looks Asian.
"With news of the coronavirus, we've seen an uptick in fear of people who look like this," said Rosalind Chou, a sociology professor at Georgia State University. "Real people are affected."

And the pain ranges from physical to verbal to financial.
edition.cnn.com

What's spreading faster than coronavirus in the US? Racist assaults and ignorant attacks against Asians

Rampant ignorance and misinformation about the novel coronavirus has led to xeonophobic attacks against fellow Americans. And the pain ranges from physical to verbal to financial.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Ignorance is really what irks me the most. One of the biggest problems we face as a society is the spread of propaganda and hateful news. Everyone is glued to their screen and fed non-stop info—true or not.

With the coronavirus, people downplay its significance. It's all fun and games until it actually hurts you. There's always a scapegoat and it sucks.

Oct 26, 2017
Went to lunch just last week. A friend was visiting from UK. She said that on her flight, she overheard 2 different people wanting their seat moved because they didn't want sit by any Asians (in fear of catching a disease). The airline actually accommodated them....

zerocypher

Oct 27, 2017
A friend in Seattle was telling me how an American born Chinese friend of hers got his Airbnb canceled because he's of Chinese descent. A whole lot of ignorance going around.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
One of my co-workers is Chinese and even he said he's avoiding Chinese markets for s while.

I didn't really know how to respond to that.

Nocturne

Oct 25, 2017
yeah but it's pretty understandable you know, just paranoia over a new disease like any other new disease. nothing else going on at all

barf

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Dude it's crazy. Every Chinese restaurant I've been to since the start of the outbreak has been a fucking ghost town. Like, so people really think that this illness magically crosses the ocean to infect specifically Chinese Americans?

Mar 30, 2019
Ignorance is really what irks me the most. One of the biggest problems we face as a society is the spread of propaganda and hateful news. Everyone is glued to their screen and fed non-stop info—true or not.

With the coronavirus, people downplay its significance. It's all fun and games until it actually hurts you. There's always a scapegoat and it sucks.
Yep. It really is the biggest enemy of all. Never mind blatant evil. At least that is easy to morally stand up to and counter. Ignorance is mundane, boring, omnipresent, and seemingly benign. It is so incredibly dangerous because it sneaks up when you least expect it.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
How long until somebody suggests we "quarantine" the Asians in a central location until the coronavirus is no longer an issue?

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
One of my co-workers is Chinese and even he said he's avoiding Chinese markets for s while.

This is happening a lot at Chinese restaurants too. It's not necessarily Westerners that are avoiding these places, but actual Chinese.

It's not self-directed racism but more paranoia among the Asian community about where the risks are. Rationality tends to go out the window when the news has been broadcasting this 24/7 for the last month or so.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Oh wait so perpetual foreigner syndrome is a thing? WOW.

oY7jXmU.gif

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They're basically operating on the idea that every Asian person is Chinese and that at the end of each day they teleport back to China and therefore MUST be carrying the virus. It's baffling.

How long until somebody suggests we "quarantine" the Asians in a central location until the coronavirus is no longer an issue?
I'm sure it's already been suggested.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017

This is happening a lot at Chinese restaurants too. It's not necessarily Westerners that are avoiding these places, but actual Chinese.

It's not self-directed racism but more paranoia among the Asian community about where the risks are. Rationality tends to go out the window when the news has been broadcasting this 24/7 for the last month or so.
This isn't only happening outside of Asia. I know it's at least happening in Hong Kong. Restaurant customers have gone down a lot since the outbreak, which is actually in contrast to the markets because more people have been shopping at wet markets so that they can buy groceries and not have to go to restaurants.

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
a coworker told me she had to wait at least 30 minutes for an uber ride because the drivers cancelled on her four times. the last guy was 2 minutes away from her location and kept going around in circles. and yes, she is chinese.

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The chinese place I ate at today was packed. No word about this. I would definitely speak up if I heard this shit though.. because damn.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
a coworker told me she had to wait at least 30 minutes for an uber ride because the drivers cancelled on her four times. the last guy was 2 minutes away from her location and kept going around in circles. and yes, she is chinese.
Being Asian just seems to be enough for most people to catch shit from this. Most racists don't really care enough to get into specifics.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Being Asian just seems to be enough for most people to catch shit from this. Most racists don't really care enough to get into specifics.

The silver lining is that my Lyfts/Ubers haven't talked to me in the past week at all.

Usually I can't get them to shut up and leave me alone, but every driver I've had (and I've had five or six this week) has given me the silent treatment.

SILVER LININGS.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The silver lining is that my Lyfts/Ubers haven't talked to me in the past week at all.

Usually I can't get them to shut up and leave me alone, but every driver I've had (and I've had five or six this week) have given me the silent treatment.

SILVER LININGS.
ContentConcreteEmperorpenguin-size_restricted.gif

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Usually I can't get them to shut up and leave me alone, but every driver I've had (and I've had five or six this week) has given me the silent treatment.

SILVER LININGS.
Like talking to you is gonna give them the virus. People are fucking crazy

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't only happening outside of Asia. I know it's at least happening in Hong Kong. Restaurant customers have gone down a lot since the outbreak, which is actually in contrast to the markets because more people have been shopping at wet markets so that they can buy groceries and not have to go to restaurants.

Holy shit, you can't make this up.

There's no shortage of supermarkets in Hong Kong. Why on earth are people going to the wet markets?

edit: I should also emphasize that the wet markets in Hong Kong are nowhere like the ones on the mainland, but they're not the most sanitary of places.

Mar 30, 2019
Like talking to you is gonna give them the virus. People are fucking crazy
It's kinda the trifecta of dumbass here in the ol' US where dummies don't pay attention in health class about how diseases transmit(school dum), want the freedom to choose their own health insurance cuz 'fuck you', and have the nerve to act racist out of fear because of this piled up lack of knowledge as if it will protect them. What a bunch of asshats.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Pathetic really. Humanity is so fucked, mostly because so many of us cannot empathize with people and at least try to understand.

I will say I'm glad Yang is out, he pushed Asians stereotypes hard and I thought it was self ironic bullshit.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah, that stuff is happening in brazil too, its sad, china, and now japan and sk, should receive support and comprehension in the fight against the virus =/, but unfornately there's some people that are disgusting racists

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

There's no shortage of supermarkets in Hong Kong. Why on earth are people going to the wet markets?

edit: I should also emphasize that the wet markets in Hong Kong are nowhere like the ones on the mainland, but they're not the most sanitary of places.

It's a good place to get flesh good food. Like farmer Market in the West.
Plus just to point out wet markets is common in entire Asia, most of them, even in China sell normal stuff.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Me and my buds are all Asian; we have been frequenting Asian restaurants less frequently since this virus broke out.

We just don't want to take unnecessary risks, especially when a vaccine isn't even out yet.

However, actively hurling slurs and physically attacking people is straight up reprehensible.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Me and my buds are all Asian; we have been frequenting Asian restaurants less frequently since this virus broke out.

We just don't want to take unnecessary risks, especially when a vaccine isn't even out yet.

However, actively hurling slurs and physically attacking people is straight up reprehensible.
Honestly, I feel like if an outbreak does occur, it's more likely going to be caused by someone who hasn't been to china or interacted with people who had been there recently than the other way around because the most likely vector for an actual outbreak is someone who caught it second hand in another country and then wasn't screened for the disease because they didn't seem high risk. Anyone who's actually been travelling to or from China during a relevant time frame is going to be screened heavily right now so I feel like it's pretty unlikely one of those people would slip under the radar and cause an incident in the same way

squall23

Oct 25, 2017

They're flatout cheaper. Both types of markets also tend to sell different foods.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017

SILVER LININGS.
Each week when i take the bus into the office (i work from home usually) i keep hoping someone wouldnt sit next to me so i have the free space. But hasnt happen yet unfortunately.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
It's sad. Even in the mall people are avoiding the Americanized Chinese food buffet thing.. which like most restaurants.. is helmed by Latino folks.

Co-worker said they didn't want to even touch sushi. It's bizzare.

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So Asians have been more stigmatized because of this 'public health concern' than anti-vaxxers have ever been? I wonder what the difference is...

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
...and now my employer won't let my two Chinese employees return to work without a doctor's note saying they are "healthy".

They were screened (basically, had their temperatures taken) by the CDC upon return to the country. They did as the CDC requested and stayed home for two weeks and took their temperatures twice daily. But that's not enough now.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

In Singapore here, we had landlords who evicted mainland Chinese tenants who had to serve leave of absence or were still in China. Some students were left with nowhere to go.

We have some regulations now to say that owners of public housing who do that will be barred from ever renting out their apartments and rooms again but that probably doesn't apply to private housing.

Imagine having to come back to a country, served 14 days of quarantine and then finding your landlord has evicted you.

I dont know what's wrong with people 🙁

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Yeah some trio of dicks in MAGA hats and sweatshirts caught me sneezing in the airport. It was like something out of a cartoon.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
I feel really bad for everyone and every business that has to deal with this racist shit. The sensationalism spread by the media mixed with the ignorance of the general public is a bad mix.

I mean just look at the coronavirus thread on Era, it's full of paranoia and hysteria and a quick browse through it would give you the impression that the world is falling apart and is in anarchy. Now take the same type of paranoia and hysteria and apply it to shitty people irl and the result isn't pretty.

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
So Asians have been more stigmatized because of this 'public health concern' than anti-vaxxers have ever been? I wonder what the difference is...

I have noticed that nothing scares the hegemony more than indiscriminate "contagion." Anthrax, bird flu, Zika, coronavirus. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few probably not during my lifetime.

I'd like to see that level of concern for the homeless, the starving, the convalescent, those in internment....

That would require loving thy neighbor though.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if Trump would even lose any support making such a suggestion.
Probably not. An ex coworker of mine is a Trump supporter said Trump should round the Chinese up into camps and this was before the virus, because the whole world is at war with China. The kicker is he's Vietnamese and Im like dude you think they're going to make the distinction if they start doing that?

Also wasn't there a poll of Americans that showed like 60% of Americans that thought FDR was right to have Japanese internment camps and like 30% saying he didn't do enough posted on this forum last year?

ActStriker

Oct 25, 2017

See, stuff like this is what contributes to the paranoia. What actual risk is there?