• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
I think Garfield was the best Peter Parker but edited to hell as Spiderman, tho he had the quips.
Toby was a good Spiderman, bad Peter.
Tom is doing good with both, but I havent seen the new one yet
Mine's the opposite. I find Garfields Peter to be too arrogant and confident too where he doesn't seem like the same character. Love his Spiderman dislike his Peter. Toby's is the closest to what I think about the character and I agree with you about Tom. I haven't seen FFH yet but I find the one aspect of the character he lacks is the inventor. He just has Tony give him everything.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen FFH yet but I find the one aspect of the character he lacks is the inventor. He just has Tony give him everything.

You don't even need to see FFH (where his inventiveness is dialed up) to be proven wrong here.

The single most impressive invention of Peter Parker's will always be his physics-defying web shooters and the web fluid that goes into them. Which we watch him create on his own in Homecoming. In the middle of class.

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
Mine's the opposite. I find Garfields Peter to be too arrogant and confident too where he doesn't seem like the same character. Love his Spiderman dislike his Peter. Toby's is the closest to what I think about the character and I agree with you about Tom. I haven't seen FFH yet but I find the one aspect of the character he lacks is the inventor. He just has Tony give him everything.

This is how I feel as well. Toby was the best Peter, Garfield was the better Spider-Man, and Holland is a fair balance of both but not quite excelling at either yet. Far From Home shows that MCU Peter/Spidey is still developing into the confident character I'm used to. He hardly actually fights in HC/FFH. I feel like the most punches and kicks I've seen him do in the MCU was the like 5 seconds he spent going after Thanos in Infinity War.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
You don't even need to see FFH (where his inventiveness is dialed up) to be proven wrong here.

The single most impressive invention of Peter Parker's will always be his physics-defying web shooters and the web fluid that goes into them. Which we watch him create on his own in Homecoming. In the middle of class.
One scene isn't enough for me. Also, it's dumb as hell that he makes the web in the middle of class with high school chemistry supplies.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of feel that every iteration of Spider-Man has their own strengths and weakness.

Like, MCU Spidey: he's obviously a different re-imagining of the Spider-Man mythos, and is more of a bright-eyed kid both in and out of the suit. With ASM Spidey, he's more like a typical teenager out of the suit, but more like Spidey in the suit. And Raimi Spidey? That one's unique in its own right too.

I came to this conclusion after I watched Spider-Verse and saw how it handled different versions of Spider-Man. No one's going to like every single version, but that doesn't matter. What matters is that they all share the same tale of tragedy.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
ASM2 has a cool opening swinging scene that's better than the opening of the rest of the spidey movies. Unfortunately for ASM2, it's downhill from there.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Gwen Stacy but that's not hard lol there's only been one other and you know godbless BDH but she got nothing to work with

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Uhhh it has by far the best lead actors that this franchise has seen (albeit the portrayal of Parker in the movies not being very good)

And it has more exciting web swinging moments than the mcu spiderman movies have had

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Curt Connors. Peter and Gwen had great chemisty. And I liked the costume.

I guess those aren't necessarily things ASM did better, lol. But I did enjoy the first film and some elements of the second one.
People are a bit too harsh on them I think.

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
His suit.

(Using Tony's tech lol)

LOL!

I don't count that at all!

He ain't inventing shit.

He's using Stark tech to play a game of choose your gadgets, and then he waits for said tech to spit out a suit. In other words he put in slightly more effort than an MK11 player does when selecting how their character looks.

Last edited:

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
Lol this is just writing a key scene off for the sake of.
How is it writing it off? I really don't see how that one scene, that tells us nothing other than he created the web in class, shows Peter Parker's inventor side.

If that one scene is enough for people that's great but it's not for me. I want to see him tinkering, failing and succeeding with gadgets.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The first ASM film is still my favorite Spider-Man film so far... by a lot. I love how they captured the character, I liked The Lizard as he was portrayed, and I thought the romance between Peter and Gwen was extremely believable and fleshed out, with great chemistry between the actors.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I actually don't even remember Homecoming show Peter invent his webshooters. I need to watch it again.

I would say one scene isn't necessarily enough. Nolan's Batman didn't come across as the world's greatest detective just because he had that one scene analysing the bullet.

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
I'm not really a Spiderman fan, but at least I can honestly say that The Amazing Spider-Man 1 and 2 are the only movies about him that I enjoyed from start to finish. I've always despised the Raimi movies since I first saw them in the theater back in the day (I always hated how there is barely any dialogue in these movies, just monologue), and Homecoming is trying so hard to be funny that it becomes cringy instead. Haven't seen Far From Home yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Garfield is the definitive movie spiderman. His comedic quips and timing was excellent. His relationship with Gwen was more believeable. His emotional growth through the two movies made him seem more real, more damaged and gave him a greater depth of character than Tom Holland.

Apart from the shitty villain in TASM2, TASM1 had real characters as opposed to rote, one-note cardboard cutouts in the MCU films.

Raimi Spiderman was awesome because of the villains, TASM1 had the best Spiderman by a country mile.

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
Garfield's portrayal of Spider-man as a kinda annoying quipster is the most faithful to the comics. Also, the best looking suit in ASM2.

That scene in ASM1 in the sewer where Garfield tracks the movements of the Lizard through the vibrations in his webs is very Spidey. The movies tend to forget Peter often uses his smarts to deal with villains as much as his brawn.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
One scene isn't enough for me. Also, it's dumb as hell that he makes the web in the middle of class with high school chemistry supplies.

If walter white can do his hijinks using high school chemistry equipment in breaking bad, then peter parker can do that in a comic book movie.

Lest i need to remind people, this is the same universe where tony stark invented & created his power core & iron man mk1 suit in a cave with a car battery and a bunch of scraps.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
They're really good-looking movies. Their budgets were downright decadent and it shows on screen.

I also still think Garfield was the best Spider-Man.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I am baffled when people talk up the Peter/Gwen stuff. It's them staring whistfully, saying nothing but meaningless ad-libbing with the same filler piano melody in the background screaming "THIS IS WHAT ROMANCE LOOKS LIKE. FEEL THE ROMANCE. BE CHARMED."

Also her graduation speech is so comically on-the-nose.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Gwen Stacy was way better than Mary Jane and they had way better chemistry

There are some good and great actors in the movie (some wasted)

Quips are nice

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I do remember them wanting to cast Emma Stone in a red wig as MJ because they realized the Stone/Garfield chemistry is all they had going for them and if that's not the funniest shit ever idk what is.
Honestly I wouldn't mind because I would rather them keeping Emma Stone and not bother with MJ and just made Gwen the MJ of their series

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Why do people say the ASM2 suit is good. I don't see it as it looks like a lame cosplay to me honestly

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
The Spiderman theme was fantastic. Gwen and Peter's relationship was full of chemistry and the CGI puts the MCU stuff to shame.

Karan S'jet

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 9, 2019
I really liked the actor playing Spider-Man. Much more so than the other ones before and after him

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't seen The Amazing Spider-Man 2 since its release but I recall leaving the theater being pretty satisfied. I am, however, up for reconsidering these feelings because I know my initial thoughts can sometimes betray me. Someone want to give me an explanation for why these movies, but especially 2, are considered so bad?

Edit: Actually, I'm watching this YouTube video now from The Cosmonaut Variety Hour and it's pretty good. Currently going over why the first movie is bad as well before he even delves into the second one. lol

Last edited:

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

How can you complain in one breath that he isn't inventive enough but then get mad at him going full "box of scraps" to make his web fluid?

And there's an entire scene in Civil War practically devoted to him explaining how he's made due with the little he's got.

And then, yeah, see FFH. Inventiveness isn't something this Peter Parker lacks.

I just saw FFH a few nights ago...

What the he'll did Peter invent in FFH?!

My nigga, he made a whole suit with specialized webbing to take down Mysterio.

What are we doing here?

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
I like these films there my favourite spiderman movies. They have the best swinging physics(it seems like the games even copied them), quips in the suit and a really good suit that actually has cloth physics. The CGI effects look better than the MCU stuff in my opinion.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I wouldn't mind because I would rather them keeping Emma Stone and not bother with MJ and just made Gwen the MJ of their series

I think they should have just cast Stone as MJ, not bothered with Gwen, and not done anything with Richard Parker, and these movies would have been improved significantly.

They would have actually had to put some effort into the relationship instead of foreshadowing her death and calling it a day.

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
The...the cinematography in the second flick was nice.
The aforementioned Flash Thompson bits, what little of them there were.
Ghost Dad Captain Stacy just made me laugh each time he appeared with that stone-faced look (is that really a positive, though?).

But the movies as a whole were complete and utter garbage and that includes the main character. Garfield's Parker was just the most unlikeable main protagonist that a film expects us to root for.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
The last scene of 2 with Spider kid vs Rhino and then the real Spider-Man shows up and acts cool as fuck?

Best Spider-Man scene ever on film IMO
"You want me to come down there so you could kill me? I'll be right there"

The rest of the ASM are trash (harsh but I hate lizards design) but that is by far my favorite Spidey/NY/NYers scene ever.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The first time I saw this scene.

He's trolling the car-thief is hilarious & great.

Holy fug... I've never seen any clips from ASM before this one. Is this pre-Uncle Ben dying? Because Spider-Man is a Batman tier sociopath in this scene. He is even the one that initiates physical violence (against a non-violent car thief).

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The last scene of 2 with Spider kid vs Rhino and then the real Spider-Man shows up and acts cool as fuck?

Best Spider-Man scene ever on film IMO
"You want me to come down there so you could kill me? I'll be right there"

I've often argued the stretch from Gwen's death to the credits starting might be the best cinematic representation of Spider-Man we've had yet.

Just a beautiful bit of film.

Because Spider-Man is a Batman tier sociopath in this scene.

Holy hyperbole, Batman

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
Why do people say the ASM2 suit is good. I don't see it as it looks like a lame cosplay to me honestly
I prefer the MCU suits, but ASM 2 is pretty much Raimi´s suit with the superior eyes

Holy fug... I've never seen any clips from ASM before this one. Is this pre-Uncle Ben dying? Because Spider-Man is a Batman tier sociopath in this scene. He is even the one that initiates physical violence (against a non-violent car thief).
At that point of the movie Peter is in revenge mode trying to find the guy that killed Uncle Ben, it´s dumb

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The suits, especially the ASM2 suit looked great. I thought ASM2 had some really solid choreography for Spidey. The first electro fight was great.