• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Killing Gwen without MJ even being around shows they didn't even understand the fundamentals of that classic story.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That wack Zimmerman dubstep soundtrack was hilarious. The one with the whispers.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They cast MJ, and shot scenes with her. But the internet freak out over the casting made them cut her.

And that was absolutely disgusting. That being said, given everything we know about MJ in that film, I don't think Sony understood her character, or what her role actually was in that story.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The romance. Peter and Gwen have by far the best chemistry. Even over MJ and Peter from the MCU.

Kind of unfair since they were actually in a relationship IRL but it is what it is.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
It had the best web slinging out of any other Spiderman movie other than far from home. The spidey action in both Amazing Spiderman is incredible.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't really all that hard.

As much as I love Tom and Zendaya, Garfield and Stone had flawless chemistry. The last 15 minutes of ASM2 might still be my favorite 15 minutes of any of the Spidey films, Spider-Verse included.

And if you added the MCU Spidey's emotive eyes to the ASM2 suit, you'd have the best suit, bar none.

Garfield's Spidey was the better quipper, too.

"I'll be a god to them."
"....God's name is Sparkles?"

*chef kiss*

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Garfield had the right tone with humor while he was Spidey. Otherwise I'd agree with the consensus of this thread that they don't do anything else better and do a ton of things worse or much worse than the Tobey/Tom films.

No he didn't, Spidey cracks wise and quips but Garfield Spidey was just an asshole. In the car thief scene he comes off as a legit bully, which Spider-Man should never do. I don't blame Garfield for it, the script is the script, but it was all wrong. The ASM films are absolute garbage from top to bottom. I do feel sorry for Garfield, as he seems to have real enthusiasm for the character and he just got screwed by the dogshit terrible "creative" team on those movies, especially Orci and his godawful writing.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Best suit.

If it had the MCU eyes, it would be perfection.
The ASM suit wants to be the classic suit but just looks like a giant dick.

Webbed Suit and Homecoming Suit are both better and that's if we're just talking live action movies.

Spider Gwen, Spiderverse Parker and Miles all had better suits.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
they thought she was too ugly to portray her iirc. it was pretty fucked up.
I'm pretty sure it's because the people felt she wasn't attractive enough

???

5b1178f07708e90952468591-1536-1152.jpg

The internet was a mistake.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Hmm. Not much, to be honest.

I'd say the suit in ASM2 was pretty great. Closer to the comics than any of the other suits (although I do love the Stark Suit with the expressive eyes).

Emma Stone is always a delight, and I'd watch her in just about anything. She was a really good Gwen considering what they gave her.

Flash Thompson is definitely better in ASM, although I feel like they're going to do some interesting things with him in the MCU. The one scene is ASM that actually sticks out to me is when Flash tells Peter that he "gets it," after his uncle Ben dies. I thought that was really touching and showed that Flash wasn't just a stereotypical douchebag bully. That he was capable of empathizing with the "dweeb" that he made fun of was a nice touch.

But all of the other Spider-Man movies are better than both ASM movies. Yes, even SM3 is better, as goofy as it was it was still watchable and very Raimi.

The MCU Spideys have been the best version of Peter and Spidey we've gotten on film in live action. Spider-Verse is in a league of its own, so I don't expect other superhero flicks to reach that level anytime soon.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I thought Shailene was cut from ASM2 because the filmmakers realized introducing a new love interest at the same time they were killing off Peter Parker's girlfriend made him seem slightly insensitive

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never get the claims that Garfield's Spidey was just an asshole, like that's some mark against his portrayal.

He's no more an asshole in the first film than Spider-Man is supposed to be when he's starting out.

I thought Shailene was cut from ASM2 because the filmmakers realized introducing a new love interest at the same time they were killing off Peter Parker's girlfriend made him seem slightly insensitive

It was basically this.

I doubt the Internet freaking out over some out of context set photos had anything to do with it.

By all accounts, she didn't have a huge part in the movie anyways.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I do remember them wanting to cast Emma Stone in a red wig as MJ because they realized the Stone/Garfield chemistry is all they had going for them and if that's not the funniest shit ever idk what is.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They did then cut her out of the film for some reason

Yes, this has been discussed. But I have seen no evidence that the producers understood what MJ's character was like Pre-Gwen's Death and Post-Gwen's Death.

She is absolutely essential to that story. And she is absolutely an essential part of the Peter x Gwen romance.

(But these movies would rather have focused on Peter's obsession with Richard Parker.)

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gwen's death scene was my favorite spidey scene until Far From Home.

ASM also had the quippiest spiderman in a movie. Really felt like Spidey to me.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Spider-Man being a dick, because Spider-Man really is a dick whenever he goes into quip mode instead of just being mildly sarcastic or irreverent

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
TASM2 suit is the best looking suit ever put to film. It's been cosplayed to death at this point, so now it feels kinda cheap, but it really is a great suit.

I dug that Lizard/Spidey fight scene at the high school. Especially the part where he crawls around the Lizard like a spider.

I liked that first-person web swinging scene in ASM1.

Oct 26, 2017
They did the death scenes well.

Spidey was the right amount of quippy and his movements were cool.

Gwen had a fun dynamic with Peter.