• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
I'm not trying to piss people off here. I genuinely don't understand why Uncharted is such a loved series.

Let's talk about the gameplay first. It's mostly just bland as fuck cover shooting with 2 weapons, and regenerating health. The only exceptions I can think of are the ship graveyard in 3, and a bunch of the levels from 4, where you have to stay on the move during those bits. But otherwise, I can't think of anything that's really good about the shooting in Uncharted. If I wanted a great third-person shooter... I'd play Resident Evil 6.

And the other part of the gaming is platforming. A.k.a completely scripted moments where you just point the stick in the direction of wherever you gotta go, and mash X 90% of the time. 5% of the time, there's a rope where you can fuck around with a bit, and unsurprisingly, those are the most interesting parts of the platforming. And the other 5% is this big magnetic wall that you can stick a knife into to grab onto, and then you mash square instead.

Now the story... What about it? It all ends up being the same shit every time. It's predictable as hell. And there are no stakes at all either, because we all damn well know that the characters are gonna survive, and that only the villains die. The dialogue is also generally kinda... awkward to me. They're just constantly spouting off action film one-liners, and lame jokes. It makes up about half of the characters's dialogue. There are some good moments of relationship building, like in the beginning of Uncharted 4, but they're just so few and far between, I find it kinda hard to care.

I just don't really get why people love this series so much. For me at least, it's among the blandest games on the market.

Also, please don't just say "weLL tHaT's jUSt yOuR oPiNiOn". No shit, it's my opinion. I wasn't trying to say otherwise. To add on to that, don't say "pEoPlE jUsT LikE dIfFeReNt tHiNgS tHaN yOu". Again, fucking duh. I know that. I'm just trying to see the appeal behind this series.

EDIT:

So it seems to mostly just be a case of "Seinfeld is unfunny". Since I didn't play them at launch, I wouldn't have understand the insane degrees of hype around them.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2019
Nothing for me either, except I do like the dialogue between characters in-game and the graphics. Aside from that I don't find it special.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Loveable characters, cinematic stories with memorable spooky twists, and decent-to-fun gunplay. What's not to love? Felt kind of like our generation's Indiana Jones.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
It's the whole Indiana Jones formula done supremely well, which is worth its weight in gold these days considering what we got last time (Kingdom of the Crystal Skull).

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
It's really polished and is like a good/fun popcorn movie (edit: and no it's not exactly like indiana jones, lazy comparison).
Not all Uncharted games are good though.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
The characters, the story, the set pieces, the shooting, the dialogue. All of it is great.

Oct 27, 2017
The freedom of movement and verticality in gunplay is unmatched by most games out there. At the time, the writing/VA/dialog/mocap was groundbreaking and fluidly integrated rather than the stiff, hand animated style of other games.

And it's evolved with each entry. Really, if that wasn't clear, your bias clearly has an ax to grind because of some other reason.

Mr.fresh

Oct 31, 2017
For me it's the globetrotting adventures with characters and stories I really like paired with in my opinion fun gameplay.

Sep 25, 2018
User banned (1 day): system wars
I'm not trying to piss people off here. I genuinely don't understand why Uncharted is such a loved series.

Let's talk about the gameplay first. It's mostly just bland as fuck cover shooting with 2 weapons, and regenerating health. The only exceptions I can think of are the ship graveyard in 3, and a bunch of the levels from 4, where you have to stay on the move during those bits. But otherwise, I can't think of anything that's really good about the shooting in Uncharted. If I wanted a great third-person shooter... I'd play Resident Evil 6.

And the other part of the gaming is platforming. A.k.a completely scripted moments where you just point the stick in the direction of wherever you gotta go, and mash X 90% of the time. 5% of the time, there's a rope where you can fuck around with a bit, and unsurprisingly, those are the most interesting parts of the platforming. And the other 5% is this big magnetic wall that you can stick a knife into to grab onto, and then you mash square instead.

Now the story... What about it? It all ends up being the same shit every time. It's predictable as hell. And there are no stakes at all either, because we all damn well know that the characters are gonna survive, and that only the villains die. The dialogue is also generally kinda... awkward to me. They're just constantly spouting off action film one-liners, and lame jokes. It makes up about half of the characters's dialogue. There are some good moments of relationship building, like in the beginning of Uncharted 4, but they're just so few and far between, I find it kinda hard to care.

I just don't really get why people love this series so much. For me at least, it's among the blandest games on the market.

Also, please don't just say "weLL tHaT's jUSt yOuR oPiNiOn". No shit, it's my opinion. I wasn't trying to say otherwise. To add on to that, don't say "pEoPlE jUsT LikE dIfFeReNt tHiNgS tHaN yOu". Again, fucking duh. I know that. I'm just trying to see the appeal behind this series.

because Sony made it, people would like a turd if it was made from Sony

Mezati99

Banned
Feb 6, 2019
Planet Earth
the characters and dialogue pretty much puts every other action game to shame, add to that good gameplay and stunning graphics and you have a winner

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You don't mean to piss people off but then come off as a dick in the last paragraph. Nice.

Mar 29, 2018
Uncharted 2 and 4 have genuinely great gameplay on Crushing difficulty - exactly what you describe OP about having to stay on the move. You have to be absurdly tactical and quick thinking to beat the games on those difficulties

They also have genuinely great character development and execution

They're also Just... Really nice adventures

you don't necessarily need to overthink it beyond that

they are far bigger than perhaps they deserve because they were the first ever HD "cinematic game"s

because Sony made it, people would like a turd if it was made from Sony
Lol, really?

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Indiana Jones in video game form and the production values were amazing.

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's the video game equivalent of a popcorn flick.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
it's a fun Third person shooter with good level design and charming characters. It's not deep but it provides a nice adrenaline rush and it makes you look cool

I like RE6 a lot but holy fuck the level design is garbage

takriel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's really polished and is like a good/fun popcorn movie (edit: and no it's not exactly like indiana jones, lazy comparison).
Not all Uncharted games are good though.
Well, except you can't eat popcorn because you gotta play that damn movie

Oct 25, 2017
The combination of the first and second part of your gameplay description is what makes it great, in my opinion.

Even what is by itself a negative, which is how automated and braindead the platforming is, ends up being a positive when it's used during combat. The Uncharted series has some really creative encounter design, using this platforming and overall verticality in ways that you don't get from the vast majority of other third person shooters, including RE6, which is also a favorite of mine.

You're too focused on "which one is better", instead of why you'd specifically want to play Uncharted. I'll agree that the combat mechanics in RE6 are deeper and probably "better" than Uncharted, but if I feel like climbing, jumping and constantly moving vertically during combat, RE6 won't give me that experience at all. It's much more about exploring the mechanical depth in an empty arena (Mercenaries, where combat is much better than in the campaign itself due to extremely narrow level design that doesn't usually work well with the combat mechanics).

Storywise, I just really like the characters and the acting, and to me that's enough. It is predictable, but I don't personally care.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Nothing really. It looks pretty, but by no measure is it a great game or even a great story. It's fun enough for what it is a shallow cover shooter, and in the case of 4 a cover shooter with really good combat spaces, but it's outclassed by more mechanically interesting tps games.

And while the characters are fun, the medium has told better stories before uncharted and after it as well.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
It's a massively overpraised series that peaked with Uncharted 2 back in 2009. That was a mind blowing experience back then, and I loved it to bits. UC3 felt like it was in it's shadow, and UC4 was paced very poorly.

They also never truly advanced the Uncharted formula either past UC2

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Some people like the story and it's a decent enough cover shooter. I also thought the stealth mechanics in UC4 were good for a game of it's type. But yeah overall you either like that kind of thing or you don't.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I've only played 3 (after the hype of 2) and hated just about everything about it. I chalked it up to different strokes. I don't necessarily think it's bad, just that I don't care for the things it was doing.

Actually, I didn't hate everything--i remember enjoying my time with the multiplayer.

joffocakes

Nov 15, 2017
I came to Uncharted too late to appreciate properly (via the PS4 collection) but I feel like the spectacle of them may have been very impressive when they were fresh.

The shooting sections were too frequent and went on for too long for me but I'm not a big fan of shooting in games in general. I enjoyed the brawls of 3 and the animation transitions during those were superb. I also loved sections where you hold out the notebook to compare against markings in the environment. I'd love an option to add more of that sort of stuff and deactivate the hints while lowering the difficulty of the combat.

Basically I want Professor Layton I guess.

Anyway I dont think it's too difficult to see what people like about them. They're big fun adventures and they don't take themselves too seriously. They're also often amongst the most visually spectacular games around when they release. I can understand you not enjoying them, I'm not a huge fan either, but it's obvious why people love them. They do what they set out to do very well.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
My experience with a game has probably never differed so much from general reception as it did with Uncharted 2. Got a double pack with Uncharted 1 and 2 when I bought my PS3 after hearing everyone I knew with PS3s gushing about Uncharted 2, and I just really didn't see it at all. Played through Uncharted 1, thought it was mediocre but I wanted to make sure I was up to speed for Uncharted 2 (the game I thought I'd really like because of its reception), realized it was basically more of the same, dropped it halfway through and never looked back. The games had great graphics and good set pieces, but I don't think they were above average in any other regard (story, characters, gameplay, music). Will never get it.

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
I mean Uncharted actually kickstarted the whole cinematic gaming,explosive set pieces and Nolan North, every AAA gaming dev all tried to follow Uncharted. So Naughty Dog must have done something right.

azeke

Oct 30, 2017
Astana, Kazakhstan
It's an okay-ish action romp with an occasional setpiece.

Gameplay wise it's a cookie cutter shooter, okay climbing, idiotic melee and a story that only exist to justify bodies of main characters to move from vista A to B to C.

Maeros

Dec 21, 2017
Because I find the gameplay to be bland.

Well whenever i see people playing Uncharted on twitch or youtube they play the game incredibly bland. Stick behind the same wall for the whole gunfight and pick people off one by one. To me Uncharted is fun when i play it on higher difficulty settings and i play it more dynamic. I force myself to finish the fights as fast as possible so i jump from cover to cover. Run and gun while moving to the next cover. Melee a lot of dudes which involves nice animations when you come in running which most people probably never saw since they play the game behind one cover only.

Thats what makes the gameplay fun for me.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The gameplay is nothing special until 4 and even then it's still not excellent and it's too sparse to be truly enjoyable.

I like the graphics, acting, set pieces and like maybe 2 puzzles across the entire series. The stories are serviceable as well.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
Animations are the best of the industry
Setpieces are great
The banter is fun

That's about it for me, not between my favourite games, but are fun and short enough so the gameplay doesnt get boring,

Yoss

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I think they do a good job with immersion and getting people to feel like they're playing a movie and they're usually showcases for current gen hardware too. I feel the same way as OP, I don't see the appeal.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Elena is.

But also there aren't many games that feel like actual adventures and the Uncharted games are some of the best in that area. The characters are also wonderful.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty much playable Indiana Jones. Not particularly high art of anything, but a relatively good time, particularly 2.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
-Characters are charming and likeable.
-Dialogue and humor is fantastic.
-Verticality/platforming in combat adds an extra layer that isn't present in most third-person shooters.
-Set pieces and spectacle are exciting and top class in the industry.
-Animations are incredibly well-done.
-Visuals are a gorgeously stylized and colorful.
-Fantastic pacing lending well to extended play sessions.
-Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy have great combat mechanics and encounter design.
- Visual variety/globetrotting keeps things from getting dull.

Not that any of this is going to change your mind, but these are some of the reasons I love the series.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
For me at least, it's among the blandest games on the market.

At its time of release, there was no real parallel to Uncharted 2 - it was the best in class. Nowadays, everybody under the sun has had a stab at what it did and I think I'm over it all. The lustre is gone.

When I finished Uncharted 2, I was genuinely gutted it had ended and I feel that is quite a decent metric of whether a game is truly good or not.

Oct 25, 2017
It's charming and polished. The opposite of RE6, basically.

And also 2007 was a different time so try to view it through that lens. UC2 is a legit incredible single player campaign in terms of pacing and design. Other than the museum at the start, unfortunately.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP I'd say you've done a good job of pissing people off and being an asshole in general with not just this thread's OP, especially with that last paragraph but others ones you've been involved with as well.

Going along though, I'd say people like it for the presentation and the characters more than anything.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
its graphically impressive and is very well animated, and it also has a good dialogue flow. Thats mostly it, gameplay is very shallow. I also dont like it very much.