• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I love doing little thought exercises like this, so let's go.

I would tell him that the past isn't worth idolizing. As I've gotten older I've realized that the "present" I hated so much has become just as rose tinted as the good old days I once longed after. Basically, "live in the moment a bit more."

What about you?

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
"Don't use other people to try and fill an emotional hole."

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Can I tell my past self the winning lottery numbers I learned? Does that count?

If not then I'd tell my past self to major in computer science in college because its a better career path.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
Live the life you want to live, don't feel like you're boxed in with a specific path because school/parents expect you to go that route.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I'd go back and tell 4th grade me that my thinking is not normal and that I need to seek professional help immediately, as I face destruction. He'd understand immediately.

Actually, I'd also go back and explain this to 4th grade me's parents.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
i'd tell him the secret truth and order him to DESTROY NEOGAF

Actually i don't really have all that much to say because life turned out pretty good. Maybe something like look forward to good things.

Ripcord

Oct 30, 2017
Don't bother trying to prevent disaster. Focus on preparing to survive disaster.

Commodore64

Oct 25, 2017
you should buy a thousand bitcoin. I know a thousand dollars is a lot of money in 2011 but I have a good feeling bitcoin is going to be worth a bit more in ten years.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Quit wasting your life at a call center and get back to school. I know you don't think that you can do it, but I know that you can, because I did, and my life is better for it.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Stupid things aside like investment advice, like actual life lessons...

Don't hold onto grudges and animosity
Move on from toxic people, you don't owe them anything
In fact You don't owe anybody anything
Take up fishing sooner
Don't be afraid to end a relationship. If you have doubts, end it
Listen more, talk less, you don't have to "know everything"

This is more advice for me 15ish years ago. I've mostly been the same person for 5-10 years give or take.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
"Build the consistent habit of working out every day and eat as clean as possible, it's going to save your fucking life."
"Learn and understand personal finance and investing, because school won't fucking teach you. Oh, and also get out of your goddamn comfort zone sooner rather than later."

Oct 26, 2017
you don't actually enjoy solitude, you're suffering from avoidant personality disorder. seek help. you will eventually get better, but if you act now, you won't lose your youth like I did. and buy bitcoins holy shit trust me

Oct 29, 2017
Hit the gym
No juice only water
tenor.gif

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Stop drinking every night thinking it's no big deal. The snowball grows slowly but steadily.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Irrespective of what your upbringing taught you, what you're suffering from isn't a lack of character. It's mental illness and trauma.

Moreover, there's neither shame nor futility in pursuing psychological or chemical help for your struggles. Don't wait. Get help now, before neglecting treatment damages your brain even worse.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
He wouldn't understand. Some barriers must be crossed on your own, in your own time.

Aimi

self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 16, 2021
"Bro something not good is going to happen to you and your family when you're 18. It'll be okay one day. Don't internalize your anger or shut yourself off from those around you or you'll just end up utterly alone. That is not the way to love or be happy. People are good. Love them and yourself. Follow your dreams. Work hard for it. Do it for yourself, do it for your mom, for your brother. Be brave! I love you, I'm sorry."

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
everyone is out for themselves and you have to take care of yourself. Don't assume people will pull for you because you are nice and it's the right thing to do.

Sep 14, 2019
Take care of your health, save money, cherish the people you love, and run when you begin having doubts about your boyfriends.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It's okay to find your own ways of living and functioning in a society that was never built for you. Don't think you have to do things a certain way just because it seems "proper."

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You're the one living this life, not anyone else. So don't make decisions based on how you think others will judge you, even if they're your family.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
"Dont waste time playing MMOs, focus on studies and improve your plan/goals with contingency plans in case if something gets delayed or stopped".

If I had taken things a bit more seriously in the late 2000s and early 2010s, where I am right now, I would have been there probably 5 years ago.

Oh well, better late than never I guess. Things happen for a reason I guess.

Nov 27, 2019
"Soooooo, you know all that time you spent feeling guilty and weird about really really really wanting to be the title character in Ranma 1/2? Turns out there's a reason for that."

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
"You get distracted and give up on things easily, stop that!"

Alternatively, "don't go to school for cooking, you can learn to make Mac and cheese at home"

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
Don't waste your time, it won't wait for you.

Or sort your anxiety out, it wont happen by itself you need to do it.