• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I would feel very differently towards BOTW if it didn't have breakable weapons. It would be a beautiful and chill adventure rather than a constant stressful quest to pick up wooden sticks on the ground so that I don't break my fancy sword, just in case I need it. And when I do, I won't use it in case I really, really need it a bit later.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I love the game, but xenoblade 2:

-free to play crystals mechanic for uniques, instead of using an invisible gauge that after x amount of opens it 100% gives you a unique, and that gauge getting longer the more uniques you open.... OH WAIT! Thats actually in the fucking game already, but only for the first 3 blades. Someone on the team knew the 100% random sytem was a bad way to make a long game ven longer, and they just left it there.

-The compass system and mutilayered nearly unreadable maps. That compass only work for open world games, the only way to fix this an make sidequest and finiding stuff not being tedius in a map with so many elevations, only tiny places to get to those elevations and maps with mutiple layers of other invisible maps you cant see all at the same time, is returning to the follow the line from xenoblade 1. That we regressed the system just to make it, not more difficult, but simply a fucking mess, from the furst game to the second, makes me fear to return to that fucking compass system in xenoblade 3

-The field checks. This has 2 easy solutions rolled into 1. The first one, have all blades in the menu work as a check. Zero need to enter a clumsy menu just to change your blades for that check to pass. The other solution, its actually fixed by fixing the 100% random to get uniques, making a gauge you need to fill were a unique blade can pop up in any moment (keeping the surprise aspect, thats the only good part about it) but has a 100% chance to appear by the end of the bar, makes getting those more unique field check less of a time sink. And lets repeat it again, the game is FREAKIN LONG already, i dont even know why those more time sink systems were added in the first place.

This fight is harder on lower difficulties? I played P5R on merciless the entire time and didn't have a problem with that fight.
Yes, its nearly impossible on the easier difficulties, its INCREDIBLY hard on normal (even playing as the game wants you to play this boss), and basically super easy on merciless. Becuase in merciless baton passes and dealing weakness states to the enemies multiplies the damage by a lot (dont remember the number but is absurd, is basically one shotting every enemy and the enemy can do the same with you), so the boss really never has the time to attack your party so you are never in any danger and thats how you melt through that boss, while you inflict so little damge with batton passes in normal diificulty and the fucking robots regenerate in 2 turns (while going through the tedius item menus that have a thousand items to search for a fucking thing that makes one of your characters to inflict weakness on the enemy that doesnt in your party just so you can do the batton pas, the fucking boss has A TIMER!!!!) that makes the fight absulte trash game design.
I beat it on normal and i insulted every developer in my mind that decided that shit was a good idea. Like, it doesnt even seem properly tested, its that insane. Feels more like a (bad) joke by the devs, like they knew people would go to tne internet and figure out they should change the difficulty of the game in merciless or some shit.

Last edited:

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
Character designs in Xenoblade 2 turned it from a must play into a skip for me.

Never played Xenoblade, but character designs of Genshin Impact kept pushing me away from a game I feel like I would've played a lot otherwise (and I still managed to get around 20 hours in, but then dropped it).

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
100% agreed OP.

It's something that bugs me in a lot of games, but it was the big thing that stopped me from bothering carrying on with the game. The combat against enemies that actually reacted to your hits felt really satisfying, but then larger enemies and boss fights come along and all the fun just completely disappears and it just becomes a chore.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Never played Xenoblade, but character designs of Genshin Impact kept pushing me away from a game I feel like I would've played a lot otherwise (and I still managed to get around 20 hours in, but then dropped it).
Genshin Impact does get quite some sexualization in it (the character designer(s) seem to have a garter fetish in particular), but nothing remotely comparable to Xenoblade 2. It also helps that it at least attempts to get some sexy boys in it as well. :D

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
Genshin Impact does get quite some sexualization in it (the character designer(s) seem to have a garter fetish in particular), but nothing remotely comparable to Xenoblade 2. It also helps that it at least attempts to get some sexy boys in it as well. :D

Honestly what bothers me more than sexualization is the fact that literally the ENTIRE playable and NPC cast of the game rests on like 3 body types for each gender. Obviously body type limit in games is a thing, but with how Genshin Impact handles it feels more like dressing up samey dolls in different clothing rather than having actually different characters.

But I decided to google Xenoblade 2 and whooboy. I see what you mean :D

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
Making guns more prevalent in Hotline Miami 2 just made the gameplay loop much less fun.

Oct 28, 2017
the animus in asscreed games, seriously, fuck the animus forced segments always taking you out of the story when you are just getting into it

any kind of level scaling

picking up loot animations like i get it but i hate them when you have to wait everytime you pick something for the 2-3 seconds pickup animation to finish it is worse when it takes you to another bullshit option selection box (i see you DAI or HFW)

edit: seeing people talking about character models, it reminded me how i dislike in Horizon Frozen Wilds every freaking character model besides the buffed up dudes have the same legs

what i mean is every character has chicken legs, male and female characters including Aloy

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Honestly what bothers me more than sexualization is the fact that literally the ENTIRE playable and NPC cast of the game rests on like 3 body types for each gender.
Yep, although for me the real issue is NPC faces / hairstyles. :D

But I decided to google Xenoblade 2 and whooboy. I see what you mean :D
Yeah, bad as Genshin sometimes get (like this trailer that just dropped), it never quite reaches the levels of shit like this.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Okumura in P5R. Royal fixes so much of P5, but somehow this completely broken fight made it into the game. I only got through it by setting the difficulty to the highest - which is absurd.

It doesn't ruin the game, but it seriously makes me pause about replaying it and recommending it to friends who I know would love it but who are less likely to persevere when they hit this fight.

This boss is terrible. I actually beat it on Hard mode, but it was a struggle. Idk how this boss passed testing. The crazy part is that P5R is a pretty easy game all the way through (partially to its detriment) but this boss was a massive difficulty spike, and there's nothing else like it in the game.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
Enemies having hyperarmor when doing a charging attack in Sifu. It's incredibly annoying and forces you to do only one thing: interrupting your combo and dodging.

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
The Runey system in Rune Factory Frontier. Everything is fun and games until your crops stop growing and you have to micromanage cannibalistic runeys on top of everything else.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I feel like the Tales of series has a part of the fanbase that is really hardcore and noisy, so they always hate when you can stunlock final bosses, juggle enemies or this kind of stuff. Maybe the devs tried to cater for those people with Arise?

As a casual that mostly play Tales stuff on normal, i really like when i manage to stunlock a boss lmao

The Runey system in Rune Factory Frontier. Everything is fun and games until your crops stop growing and you have to micromanage cannibalistic runeys on top of everything else.

I couldn't think of any game that fit this thread, but yeah, it's clearly this. I remember dropping a 60+ hours game because runeys were just dying everywhere. I think i would try it again if there was some game shark code to make all regions healthy with runeys forever, dunno.

Unsighted would be a good one for this thread with its time mechanic, but you can just toggle it off in the menu, so it's okay.

Kaydigi

Apr 25, 2019
Sonic Mania having to replay the whole two acts when you run out of lives. I completed the game but found that very annoying. The levels and boss battles are longer than older 2D Sonic games so I don't feel that save format works anymore. The Sonic CD port had saves before each act and the boss act, I think that works the best.

I stopped playing the game as soon as I had to replay the whole level again.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Had a similar problem with FF VII Remake, where the fight keeps on stopping just to have a cool cinematic or whatever.

Why I really like the KH3 superbosses honestly.

It doesn't ruin the game outright, but it's safe to say that the overall reaction to the Clutch Claw in Monster Hunter World: Iceborne was tepid, to put it plainly, but it does require some explanation as to why that was the case, as much of its derision comes from it being a finicky slog of a solution to a problem they had created in the base game.

IN THE BEGINNING!... there was Monster Hunter World, and more specifically its endgame that players eventually figured out was revolving around a very particular skill called Weakness Exploit. Prior to Iceborne, WEX (which is what I'll be referring to it as from this point forward) worked on a flat value system in which the rate of critical chance (referred to as affinity in the world of Monster Hunter) done to a part on a monster that's considered the weakest part of the monster in terms of defense values, and the value changed at different levels of the skill. Those levels are as follows:

Lvl. 1: 15% bonus affinity
Lvl. 2: 30% bonus affinity
Lvl. 3: 50% bonus affinity

As you can imagine, lvl. 3 WEX is where the real magic begins to happen, especially when combined with skills like Critical Boost (which itself can get as high as 140% of the normal damage caused when a critical hit does occur for juicy hits) and Partbreaker (additional base damage done to a limb that can break that goes up to an additional 30% to have you breaking and severing parts with the greatest of ease), to say nothing of what happens when you wear armor that adds additional affinity to make your crit chances virtually guaranteed. That, in of itself, used to be somewhat tricky to do as the skill system in Monster Hunter generally has you picking and choosing between several skills that forced you to live with not being able to have everything at your fingertips to be a one-man army. Well, until they did release an armor set that did just that:

5tpxp0fxj6781.jpg

Say hello to the Drachen Alpha set! The ultimate reward for farming runs on the FFXIV collaboration quest that has hunters squaring off against Behemoth, the Drachen Alpha set very quickly became THE meta for the game, as its built-in skills granted you the likes of maxed out Crit Boost, nearly maxed out Crit Eye (this is what raises your affinity, and at lvl. 6 of 7, that's a staggering 30%), a solid amount of additional damage granted by having lvl. 3 Attack Boost, as well as some solid ancillary skills with some good utility for various weapons. But that wasn't enough, as there were two additional elements to wearing the armor that really pushed it to unseen heights: it had an unbelievably great spread of decoration slots (decorations being additional augmentations to armor sets that can allow you to slot in new skills or boost existing ones to their highest level) as each piece had at least one slot (two in the case of the head and chest pieces) and sits at a total of 1 lvl. 1 slot and 3 of each lvl. 2 and lvl. 3 slots for absurd amounts of flexibility, and the second was that the built-in set bonus of Soul of the Dragon grants you an additional skill depending on how many pieces of the armor you're wearing, with 4 pieces granting you Master's Touch, which is a skill that prevents your weapon from losing sharpness when it does make a critical hit. Needless to say, slotting in WEX and something like, oh, I don't know, Non-Elemental Boost for a then 10% raw damage bonus on weapons with no element (this eventually got nerfed to being 5% in Iceborne) meant that your uptime on maximizing your damage output was clearly moving towards something the game really wasn't designed to handle as health would just melt like no tomorrow. Sensing that this was soon to be a problem and very quickly, the developers tried to move things towards the Arch Tempered monsters as a kind of solution due to their incredibly high health and damage values, but the armor sets they bestowed simply could not compare to the kind of damage possible with the Drachen Alpha set once equipped with WEX, especially as the skills there made it possible for everyone weapon in the game to use it and see tremendous results. There was very little reason to not roll into a quest not equipped with the Drachen Alpha as your base armor with WEX installed, as it was often the best choice, period.

SUDDENLY!...Iceborne is announced and coming out imminently, and the players get a sneak peak as to the kind of balance changes coming to the game. Due to how Monster Hunter expansions work, High Rank armors are effectively useless after the first few hunts as the damage output on G-rank monsters (since renamed to Master Rank with Iceborne) simply outstrip the defense values on those armors, forcing players to start playing the game as intended and start crafting new gear from the Master Rank monsters, with additional incentives coming from MR armor featuring lvl. 4 decoration slots (lvl. 4 decorations being able to carry two skills on them instead of one) and having earlier access to more powerful skills. This is to be expected, but there were additional balance changes made to the game that would soon impact every player, regardless of owning Iceborne or not, and that started with WEX receiving a major rework. Now, the base values looked very different:

Lvl. 1: 10% bonus affinity
Lvl. 2: 15% bonus affinity
Lvl. 3: 30% bonus affinity

Quite the stark nerf to their values from how they were before, right? However, there was a catch to the nerf in that potentially, the old values still remained the same, but only if you wounded a part beforehand, in which the values would get an additional boost (5%, 15%, 20%) when hitting those affected parts, thus restoring them to their original bonus affinity values. But how does one wound a monster part? Enter the Clutch Claw!

maxresdefault.jpg

The biggest new player action addition to Iceborne from the base game, the Clutch Claw is an extension of the base game's Slinger (the thing that lets you fire off ammunition found in the world as well as player items) that allows players to, well, clutch onto monsters using the claw. Unlike mounting a monster, using the Clutch Claw on a monster does not stop them from moving around, which does put the player at risk when it enters into an attack and you'll be bucked off of it and take lots of damage. However, if you find the right opening, you will have enough time to perform a few different actions, including the aforementioned wounding that has you plunging your weapon into a monster and opening it up to receive additional damage than what was possible before. When combined with WEX, this had the benefit of you being able to do more damage than would have normally been possible had the WEX values stayed the same as a result of how wounding works, so the flat nerf effectively becomes a buff in terms of the raw numbers. So, if that was the case, why was the Clutch Claw so poorly received if you can theoretically dole out more damage than ever before?

There are often a lot of different opinions as to what hurts the idea of the Clutch Claw, but I think they can be traced down to three absolutes that I'll zero in on:

1. Monster have a LOT of health in Iceborne: This in of itself is an expected outcome for what is supposed to be the highest difficulty in MHW, but the problem that it runs into towards the endgame is that you don't really feel like that you're doing the kind of damage that you might expect to be doing as a result of just how much higher the HP pools are for monsters, particularly for elder dragons like Lunastra whose HP values are so high that it's like you're already fighting a modified quest version as it is with how long it takes to bring her down. It leads to the underlying feeling that the team may have overtuned the response to how much WEX in conjunction with other skills was impacting the output possible with it that they made the monsters too robust in retaliation, practically requiring you to wound them to keep up the tempo and not have the fights drag on too long to make the player feel far weaker than they should be at that point in the game.

2. The Clutch Claw aiming properties: Needless to say, the accuracy of the action itself is a bit lacking. If you've ever played the game, you know all too well how often you practically zero in the spot you want, let the hook fly, and then the game decides that you're instead on their hindquarters for no particular reason. Some of this is exacerbated by the very nature of the amount of zones there are on a monster to begin with, as you have monsters that can let you go practically up and down their entire length in several sections that can already make it pretty risky to get to where you need to go to begin with, but unlike mounting, which maxes out at a total of three zones (tail, back, and head), you can find yourself dealing with a monster that has twice as many, making for a very finicky experience unless you stick to situations where the monster is downed or trapped, and even a slight bit of movement on their part can cause you to go off course.

3. The impact it has on the combat flow: To help balance wounding, it only lasts for a set duration. Initially for just 90 seconds, this was eventually doubled to 3 minutes down the line as the complaints about the frequency to keep wounding parts to maximize your damage output were quite loud. Even with the doubled duration, however, it doesn't do a lot to address the fundamental problem that using the Clutch Claw really isn't all that fun to begin with, as its level of interactivity boils down to a single button press more often than not, and typically without that much risk involved unless you're a YOLO player that uses and abuses it regardless of what the situation calls for. Wounding also had to be adjusted from its small pool of weapons that could actually wound on the first instance, as lighter weapons would need at least two attacks to be able to pull of what those could do, making fights for those weapons take even longer as a result. Again, the complaints were so loud they had to rework it for those weapons so that they weren't potentially being left behind as they were initially, but it still added to the feeling that the entire mechanic felt more like busywork than a solid addition to combat at all.

It's hard to know if something like the Clutch Claw will ever come back again, given its controversial nature of it being a moldy bandage to a self-inflicted wound. I suspect that, much like swimming in Tri/3U, it'll remain a curio of its particular generation with no real impact on the series going forward, though unlike swimming, which did allow for a few monsters to have more diverse move sets as they worked differently underwater versus how they are on land, the properties of the Clutch Claw were limited exclusively to damage opportunities through either wounding or using Slinger Burst to drive a monster into a wall or another monster to down them, and the more aggressive playstyle of gen 5 MH hardly needed another way to do that with how frequently such things can happen now. Rise has a different philosophy altogether as it traded away the Slinger altogether to focus on the additional mobility options and special attack skills afforded to players through the Wirebugs (amusingly, WEX was reverted back to its pre-Iceborne values, but there are arguably more busted skills in Rise that Sunbreak may yet address), but don't be too surprised if the first gen 6 game puts the Clutch Claw back in the drawer in favor something else that won't be as polarizing.

Ogawa-san

Nov 1, 2017
Soul Sacrifice and offering charges.

Basically, attacks, heals and pretty much everything that isn't running or dodging has charges, and you have to micromanage that all the time. It's pretty unlikely to happen, but if you're careless you could end up in a long fight where after a while you literally won't have the means to attack anything anymore.

Amazing game(s) but it's a really weird mechanic that you either buy into it immediately, or end up dropping the game because it's a chore.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
The health display in Breath of the Wild.

How can that ruin anything when it's so simple and streamlined? It's impossible to read if you're colorblind and can't see red all that well. They could have turned empty hearts into dots, like Skyward Sword. They could have the current active heart be bigger and beat, like Ocarina of Time. Or they could have had the empty hearts have a bright red outline, like in Breath of the Wild when you're low on health. Or even had a black bar you could turn on behind the hearts, like the weather forecast in Breath of the Wild.

They did none of that. As a result, when the hearts are on a bright background, such as the sky, I can't tell the difference between a full and an empty heart. Breath of the Wild was just that good that it didn't turn me off the game entirely... Age of Calamity, on the other hand, uses the same health display, but for an action game where it's even more important to know how much health you have left. I dropped that game after a few hours thanks to the UI.

Skyward Sword, with all the things turned on, is a better UI than anything in Breath of the Wild, because I can actually read it.

katsu044

Mar 1, 2021
canada
love ToA to death but i do remember bosses being kinda brutally overkill on the higher levels due to it playing like a mmo boss fight
but most of the game stopped being a issue once i got the perk that lets you do more damage and take more , said it before in reality it really was just a numbers thing they only needed to tweak stagger checks and hp pool and bosses would've been totally fine early on

also love the shit out of xenoblade 2 but field skills suck and the dlc making you do every singe quest to finish it made me give up on it half way just to go on youtube and watch the rest

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
RDR2 and weapon managements. I am a very calm person and I think I screamed at my screen solely because of this.
That plus weird control, "realistic" movement that makes searching stuff a pain, yeah I didn't loved my time with it.

prodyg

Oct 28, 2017
Changing the counter system after Dead or Alive 3 just ruined that series for me. DOA3 is still my favorite in the series and will always be, unfortunately.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Enemy and loot scaling ruined TeS for me. I still play and enjoy the games but I absolutely hate it. They took everything people loved about Morrowind and changed it for the mainstream casual. I get why but it still sucks.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
The restrictive loadouts in Deathloop turned it from a game I still probably wouldn't have liked as much as Arkane's other output but enjoyed to I think their worst game in recent memory. Imagine Disohonored but you only get to use two powers at a time. Utterly terrible design decision, especially since everyone will probably want blink at the very least.

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
The ability of enemies in Souls games to clip attacks through walls is infuriating. It just straight up makes the games worse.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I was deeply disappointed in Pikmin 3 almost exclusively due to the fact fruit as a collectible was way less interesting than the treasure of the prior game and the fact the game lacked the enemy/treasure encyclopaedias.

Two things that gave absolutely zero effect on gameplay.

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
Dynamite Headdy and that stupid giant head boss that chases you, is awful and his battle design doesn't fit the rest of the game imo. I also dont like the limited continues, even on the easier japanese version, but that's not so bad. Dope game but that boss makes me not want to re play it.

Kingdom Key

Aug 4, 2021
Didn't necessarily love XC, but the visions are so fucking tiresome. ESPECIALLY the ones that occur when picking up items.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was going to be about the 3 enemy types palette swapped for the entire game.

Gespenst MKIV

Nov 1, 2017
FFX is one of my favorite games, but there are two things that really drag it down.

1 - The temple puzzles. They're clunky & time consuming.
2 - The fact that XP is only given to everyone who participates in a battle. Since it isn't divided between participants, that means the optimal strategy is to make sure every character at least pops in and defends at least once in every battle so that you get the most total XP.
This I played the HD remaster on PC with a hack that just gave everyone XP adn it made battles much more fun specially when one particular character that I never used got his solo encounter later on

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Weapons breaking in BOTW.

"Just treat your weapons as ammo." Yeah you know how in shooters your weapons spontaneously combusts when your magazine runs empty.

I'm there with you. I like attaching myself to a weapon.

Abby. I can't replay or even watch someone else play now. The 40 hours (yes that's right) prior to that were probably the best game I ever played.

You really hate Abby and don't even want to argue why. It'd be cool if you elaborated. I thought her story and character was really great. A great "other side of the coin".

kiich

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jan 2, 2018
I am also playing ToA, nearing the end. I agree with everything you said in the OP and I MUST tell you: it gets worse. Theres is a dude that is faster than your character, hits like a truck and you have almost no openings to attack.

The thing I do now is to just set artes with really short animations and be patient.

xexhaga34

Mar 27, 2022
There's this one Tales fan I know who put it best when he described the problems with Arise's battle system

"I'm going to keep it brief because frankly, I don't even enjoy thinking about Arise, and also because I'm working on a bigger critique of its combat that isn't just something that fits in a tweet or a DM, but essentially there's no depth or even the illusion of depth or decision making in the game. Depth is born when you have multiple options and have to consider which options are the best for a given situation, and have to weigh the pros and cons of each option."

"This also in turn leads to different playstyles and solutions. In a previous Tales game, different players and characters may decide to answer an enemy's attacks with blocking, backstep, critical guard, magic guard, or using artes that move them around or have invincibility. By removing almost all defensive options but one and cutting down on the variety of different effects an arte has, and making bosses unable to be combo'd, combat in Arise boils down to Dodge Now, Attack Now, repeat. Even the direction you dodge doesn't matter. Everyone's going to still have attacks like swallow blade equipped by the end of the game because committing to longer attack animations means not being able to quickly get back to Dodging Now. It's an utterly simple loop, one that I'm sure you may have noticed on some level. And I'll leave it at that for now."

Makoto

Oct 27, 2017
Late in the Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey campaign there is whole maze area with teleporters that I was stuck for hours, even with Youtube + internet maps. I really loved the game but whenever I consider replaying (to get the other endings) I remember this segment and just give up the whole idea.

deliquate

Teyvat Traveler
Feb 25, 2021
I beat it on normal and i insulted every developer in my mind that decided that shit was a good idea.

That Okamura fight is the only one that has ever made me drop a game when I was so far into it. Like, I had been LOVING Persona 5, and when I reached the Okamura fight I was invested enough to keep trying and retrying until I beat it...

But I think it took me about 6 hours? Maybe more? And by the time I finished, like... all the goodwill the game had built up over almost 100 hours was gone. I was done. I turned off my console for the night and I've never booted up the game since.

At first, just the thought of starting again made me so exhausted and angry that I couldn't bring myself to try. Lately, the anger is gone but it's also been so long that I'd have to figure out all the systems from scratch, which is always hard with a really advanced save. And there's time-sensitive stuff, too.

Just completely ruined what had been, until that moment, such a great experience.

Lengualo

May 14, 2022
UK/Mexico
Tales of Arise is a funny one for me.

Yeah, the bosses spongey and being unable to stagger them is a flaw, but still the combat system is solid; and despite Arise' shortcomings, I still think as far as RPG/ARPG combat is concerned that Tales combat is difficult to beat - Arise included.

Lengualo

May 14, 2022
UK/Mexico
Not a specific game, but quite a few JRPG's through bad writing problems and otaku pandering - which I class as more than just sexualisation. Its also how they treat female characters too, and a lot of really tired old tropes that really need to die.

Xenoblade died on its arse for me due to its combat system. I really don't enjoy MMO style battle systems, they take way too much away from the combat experience. I lasted about 5 hours with it and was so bored with battles I couldn't be bothered with it and the rest of the game wasn't strong enough to hold me.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
That Okamura fight is the only one that has ever made me drop a game when I was so far into it. Like, I had been LOVING Persona 5, and when I reached the Okamura fight I was invested enough to keep trying and retrying until I beat it...

But I think it took me about 6 hours? Maybe more? And by the time I finished, like... all the goodwill the game had built up over almost 100 hours was gone. I was done. I turned off my console for the night and I've never booted up the game since.

At first, just the thought of starting again made me so exhausted and angry that I couldn't bring myself to try. Lately, the anger is gone but it's also been so long that I'd have to figure out all the systems from scratch, which is always hard with a really advanced save. And there's time-sensitive stuff, too.

Just completely ruined what had been, until that moment, such a great experience.
Its a fucking pity this happens, and even more if they never changed that fight as a joke. The clearly knew the shit was awful when they changed everythibg in royal but that, sinceresly i would really like to know why did they really leave it as it was.

Daddy JeanPi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Don't feel bad OP. I also dropped the game afterwards. It sucked 'cause i was enjoying the game before this.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Risk of Rain 2 has a phase in the final boss fight where the boss steals all of your powerups.

In theory it is there to make sure there is always some danger for the final boss, even when you have gotten very powerful. You are supposed to damage the boss and gradually regain your powerups, going from strong to weak to strong again, highlighting the progress you have made. It's a good idea in concept.

However, in practice it makes it so getting too powerful or having certain builds is basically a guaranteed loss. Based on the powerups you had, the boss may get undodgeable one-shot attacks, summon a bunch of pets that kill you instantly, get so many defensive items that you can't damage them, etc. It is extra bad when playing in multiplayer, because the boss gets all the powerups from all players. The game is also a rogue-like, so if you are instakilled by the phase change, you lose all the progress for that run.

This is bizarre because this has so many good solutions while keeping the concept intact.

Dec 30, 2020
Dragon Quest Builders 2.

In the chapter where you're rebuilding the castle, they ask you to build a dungeon. Then they make you throw your own buddy in it. And the game prevents you from breaking him out. It's a "But thou MUST!" scenario, and your buddy looks so absolutely heartbroken after you and he formed the bestest team of creation and destruction possible. And then when they find out he wasn't the traitor, no apology.

I was so pissed off that I razed the castle I helped rebuild to the ground, tore up all of their crops, befouled their drinking water, and dug up the graves they made me dig so I could slap their dead around.