• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which one first?

• Policenauts

Votes: 32 29.4%
  • Panzer Dragoon Saga

Votes: 59 54.1%
  • Shenmue

Votes: 18 16.5%

• Total voters

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
So I have just a shade of Sakura Taisen left to go and then it's time for me to tackle one of these Sega Saturn/Dreamcast masterpieces, all of which I have very briefly dabbled with in the past but am finally ready to really commit to.

But I can't decide what to play first (I do plan on playing all three, with Shenmue 2 and 3 following after 1). Fair warning: I don't get a ton of video game time since I'm a teacher and I have a 2 year old.

So... what would you do?

Oct 27, 2017
Saga is about 3 hours per disc, really unique game so I'd say that.

tho if you're not playing through emulation it will set you back $1,000 used

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
PDS is an infinitely better game than both Shenmue and Policenauts. Absolutely go for PDS.

It also is a nearly perfectly paced JRPG at hardly 12 hours.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Shenmue's great, but it might be particularly frustrating for someone with limited time to play. Haven't played the other two, but I'd probably look into those first.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Segagagaboxarttemp.jpg

p.s. i beat PD Saga last fall. it's a game that punched way above its weight in that the ambition of the game clearly outpaced what the sega saturn (or any game system that that time) can render. The battle system is also pretty fun especially during boss battles. But the game clearly is also developed under budget constraints and the difficulty balancing is wrecked (the dragon is basically destruction incarnate by the end).

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Panzer Dragoon Saga is the best JRPG of that generation, better than FFVII or FFIX or Xenogears or any of the rest. I'd play that one, but I would probably play Panzer Dragoon and Panzer Dragoon Zwei first. PDS isn't super long so it's perfect for your situation, too.

EllipsisBreak

One Winged Slayer
Aug 6, 2019
I've played Panzer Dragoon Saga and am currently playing Shenmue. Definitely go with PDS. I've never seen anything like it.

No idea how good Policenauts is.

Zippedpinhead

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
Having only played one of these three I gotta recommend policenauts.

I know most everyone else will recommend PDS, but Policenauts is just so good. You can see the influence it had on the rest of the Kohima games. Just a really great game

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Go with Panzer Dragoon Saga. Shenmue is not a game to play in quick sessions so when you got more time to play go wih it. I didn't like Policenauts so IDK

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
Shenmue. My favourite franchise and game ever. I mean I want to see the story end etc etc but Shenmue 1 is just so relaxing and amazing to live in.

vid

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 27, 2017
If you're on a tight timeline, do what I've been doing since December 3rd (the first playable day in Shenmue) - Play through the trilogy at a rate of one in game day per real life day. It's a shockingly relaxing way to spend a bit less than an hour a day.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Shenmue is a far more enjoyable experience if you aren't in a rush. If you're trying to just mainline the story and sprint through, the magic will be lost imo.

One day I really gotta play Policenauts. Snatcher is one of my favorites and I've played pretty much everything else by Kojima.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Policenauts is cool but Panzer Dragoon Saga and Shenmue are huge moments in gaming history that I would give precedence to. I would do PDS first because it's expensive and there's always a remote chance of old discs failing.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Shenmue is a great slow, smell the roses kinda game that's also historically intriguing if you're coming to it for the first time like I did when the remasters came out.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
They're all a good time, just depends what you enjoy more in a game. PDS for JRPG with a difference, Shenmue for a slow burn Japanese adventure game, Policenauts for an anime movie adventure game from Kojima.