• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fallout?

• Doc is gone

Votes: 120 45.3%
  • Kawhi or PG13 might get moved

Votes: 17 6.4%
  • Blow it all up

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • No need to panic, just minor moves

Votes: 84 31.7%

• Total voters

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No need for any big roster shakeups. They're still right there, they just choked.

Rivers is so overrated though.

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond
Overall though, Houston is in much worse shape. Holy shit, that franchise is screwed for years to come. The best thing they can do is shop Harden for some draft pics and bargain bin Westbrook. Westbrook to Brooklyn. That would be gloriously dysfunctional lols.

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
They don't have much assets and I don't think anybody is giving you much for PG 13%. Is there a better coach than Doc that you can replace him with? I'd probably run it back sans Montrez. They have the talent but they need a lot more chemistry and Pandemic P can't play like bum.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
They should dump Doc and bring in someone that will hold guys more accountable, but they probably won't. They still have a talented roster, but their going to lose some of that vaunted depth, Lou Williams will be one year older and one year closer to being as cooked as his chicken wings, They have no cap space and no draft picks, so their only way to significantly alter the roster and add a player of significance is the Mid Level Exception which isn't a whole lot of money. I think they will likely be a worse regular season team because of this, and because the West could be stronger, which means more will have to be asked of Kawhi and PG during the regular season, which could make it even tougher to load manage and keep them fresh for the playoffs.

They are still a really good team, but this was a huge blown opportunity.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
As much as I loved the loss of these jokers, let's be serious. Who on the Clippers has trade value, remember they have no draft picks.

-Lemon Pepper Lou wildly overachieving. Move him while he still has value.

-Zubac is still a prospect so teams wouldn't mind taking on a project. Move him for a Defensive minded forward in their final year.

-Reggie Jackson. Either use him or lose him. He's in that awful zone between too good for bench, not good enough to start. But right now he doesn't fit.

-Time to move on from Doc. Ty Lue should be made head coach.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
That whole plan seemed incredibly arrogant. Doc really messed up here. They did think they would be able to vanquish NBA level competition by winging it last minute?

arrogant, exactly. That gif of lou, morris, and bev laughter on the sidelines during a game is embarrassing and entirely backs up your excellent point.

Does anyone see the overachieving Heat doing that? How about the underachieving Bucks? Heck no! Because they understand the seriousness of the moment, no matter playing well or playing poorly. Focus!

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Lou Williams is 33 years old. He's got a decent contract in terms of money as does Zubac. But what are the odds that you are getting something for either of them that helps you next season? The type of teams that want a guy like Lou are probably contenders, so they aren't giving up a valuable piece of their squad. You can maybe get a late first round pick if you are lucky, but again that doesn't help out much next year.

Mintaro

Banned
Jul 26, 2018
Look Doc isn't a perfect coach but comparing him to Jackson is so insulting. Not cool.

In terms of coaching ability? How is that not a fair comparison. In fact you could argue he's worse than Mark Jackson, since Doc has had several chances at a chip, and squandered all but one.

taro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they will but Doc should be let go. I am just uncertain who the replacement is, maybe it's promoting Lue or bringing in D'antoni or some unproven assistant or college coach with a championship pedigree but I am not feeling Doc as the answer.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
They have no future. Look at what they traded for PG: two decent role players and 7 first round picks.

All that for a player averaging 21 points a game, and disappears come playoff time. Unless they have a brilliant GM who can get some of those draft picks back, the Clippers are going to go back to being a joke since Kawhi can leave after next season if he wants.

Doc Rivers can only win when he has a stacked team of 3 superstar players, and he only won once with that trio in Boston. They need to get someone from under the Popovich coaching tree.

JorSneezy

Oct 17, 2019
I would dismiss Doc Rivers. Blowing two 20+ point leads while letting a team come back from 3-1 down, I don't know how you don't.

Do I think it's all his fault? No. George and Kawhi not making a FG in the fourth quarter last night. Shooting slumps from other players.

I personally don't like Paul George. I think he is too much talk without much results. The entire team had too much swagger. Beverley is a hell of a defender, but talking shit to Lillard who's accomplished more than you and does so much off the court felt way out of line. They need to win before doing all that.

Still have 1,000% respect for Kawhi. Stays quiet, plays hard on both ends of the court, and has proven he can carry a team.

Oct 27, 2017
I hadn't even considered the scenario of Kawhi getting traded if he indicates he won't resign. That would be bonkers but not likely

Yeeeeeeeeeer

Oct 25, 2017
west coast
i dont know how u can run it back w doc. dude has lost the entire locker room. hes been making suspect substitutions all season long. either i want to see him gone, which may be unlikely since hes got his hooks in on ballmer, or take away his toys meaning letting trez walk and trading lou. might be knee-jerk reaction but im not opposed to trading pg. dude is not a killer which is fine thats his nature but u cant be mr. nice guy playing in the west. keep mook. promote ty/cassell

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't think any big moves are necessary - I think anything major would be an overreaction especially given the weirdness of the season and bubble.

It's important to remember that this team really didn't play many games together, mostly by design (rest) but also by Trez' and Lou's bubble absences. I bet they expected to build some chemistry in the later portion of the season and then in the bubble, and they just weren't able to.

Harrell's really the big question, but I think the tight market might make that an easier decision for the Clippers if they want to keep him. Let Morris walk.

As a Celts fan I had my issues with Doc, but I don't think it's a major reason for the loss. I don't think he's an upper echelon coach, but I'd probably rather have him than at least half the NBA's coaches for this roster. I'd look to supplant him with real tacticians, rather than hiring people who knew Kawhi, which seemed to be the focus last year.

Last edited:

StoveOven

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You have one more year before Kawhi can opt out. You have to win next year or it's another 50 years of misery.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
Fire Doc. Maybe see if they can get anything worthwhile for PG. I doubt it, but they're not winning a championship with him as their #2.

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
CANCUN ON 3

in all honesty tho, next year the warriors are back, the suns look to be ascending, and the teams bounced this year will have another year of experience under their belts. The West will be an absolute war zone next season. Unless PG becomes an MVP caliber player again, these dudes are not making it out of the west with that aging roster and coach.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
All you can do is pray that this is an anomaly, that PG13 can regain his... 2018-19 form, that Kawhi was just exhausted despite the fact that they had a gigantic break in the season. I would say pay Montrezl and pay Morris, maybe even Jackson on two year contracts and run it back, because if you lose any of those guys you can't replace them. This is basically what happened the last time they blew a 3-1 lead under Doc, they ran it back, couldn't get over the hump, and completely dismantled the team, except this time they have no draft picks every other year so they have to be all in.

Or maybe Jerry West works his magic one more time.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
They won't do it, but the franchise should move to Seattle. The Clippers will forever be the "other team" in LA, and Ballmer has ties to the Cascadian area via Microsoft. It's time for the Sonics to return, and what better way than with a marquee superstar in Kawhi Leonard? ...assuming they can convince him to stay.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
They won't do it, but the franchise should move to Seattle. The Clippers will forever be the "other team" in LA, and Ballmer has ties to the Cascadian area via Microsoft. It's time for the Sonics to return, and what better way than with a marquee superstar in Kawhi Leonard? ...assuming they can convince him to stay.

If they move to Seattle he definitely isn't staying. Now back to San Diego...

Jun 10, 2018
Get rid of Fraud Rivers. Never seen a coach gifted so many talented teams and come up short.

And yes, even with the Celts he underachieved. That squad would've and should've AT LEAST won two with a better HC.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Clippers will be fine (at least for next season). The real question is, what will Houston do?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Reality: minor changes, blame on pandemic bubble, rivers on hot seat

What they should do: Blow it up, this team is never gonna get over the hump, see what you can get for pandemic P and Leonard in trade to rebuild.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
They have too much talent to blow it up. Enroll them in meditation classes or something. Teach them to get off social media, get some enforcer types, have them sign up for humbling community work, contact Mr. Roger Murray to have them do push-ups on the ice—something, anything to steel their resolve.