• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 23, 2017
The original Mirror's Edge came out in 2008.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst came out in 2016.

Both games have their fan following but what do you think is next for the IP? Do you think the IP is in hibernation?

What would you like to see improved in the future?

Phokal

Oct 25, 2017
WI
There's no way they could justify it, but it'd be fantastic to get a 4k/60 patch for the new consoles (auto-hdr or not on xbox). That and gamepass would probably see a small bump.

Edit: Now I'm imagining the dualsense usage and it'd be so cool. I've made myself sad...

Eblo

Oct 25, 2017
Does there have to be a next? Not every series needs to continue into oblivion.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
As a fan of both games - even the iPhone game - I'm happy we got multiple games in the first place.

I have little hope we'll get another anytime soon, but if EA decides to make a modern Mirror's Edge with the style and scope of ME2 but with the focus and smoothness of the missions of ME1, I'd be in heaven.

Otherwise... I'll continue to acknowledge Mirror's Edge is special, special to me, and was always destined to be a niche cult game, but one I'll treasure forever.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Not every game series gets to continue. I dont see why EA would ever return to this series. I think it's dead.

If it comes back it should be a VR title though.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Probably nothing. If it's more stuff like Catalyst, I don't think I want it back.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
i think the fact that we got a sequel at all is a minor miracle. It met expectations for EA and seems to have had reasonable legs with sales, but I think there's basically no way EA makes another one given it kind of underperformed critically

We'll always have 1 which is incredible - arguably amongst the best games of gen 7 - and honestly, for all its flaws, Catalyst has some great stuff in it and is a lot of fun to revisit its gorgeous world at high settings

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
Hope that an indie developer comes up with a spiritual successor years from now.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Catalyst was released a generation too early. That game's level design needed SSDs to avoid getting compromised.

Hopefully we get a third game eventually.

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
It was already on thin ice with 2 and they fucked it up so it's dead jim. Shame cause 1 was fantastic.

I haven't played it yet and want to but go buy Ghostrunner if you want first person traversal action.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
It was a miracle it got a second chance, and when that second chance sold poorly and had a bad reception that put a nail in the coffin.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
I was so excited for Catalyst and then I never played it after the reviews.

Will never forget getting the first one for Christmas and just absolutely loving it though.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Catalyst kinda killed it's chances for a comeback.

Unrelated, but I hate that the iOS sidescroller was delisted. I legitimately loved that game.

mirrors-edge-ipad.jpg

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Does there have to be a next? Not every series needs to continue into oblivion.
Why does there need to be a next thing?
What shitty things to say. People want more games of the franchises that they love. It's that simple and both of you know it. Don't be dicks.

Besides, AAA first-person parkour games don't really populate the market. I'd gladly trade a couple of military shooters for more, purely for diversity's sake.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
The franchise will resurface at a future point in time when EA is desperately trying to regain some foothold.

Not for the love of video gaming. But rather for Wilson's skyward cash boner.

Oct 30, 2017
One of my favorite new IPs from the 7th generation, LOVED LOVED LOVED the first game, they made a mistake by going to open world.

The game should has stayed levels based with each level being unique and different in the location \ concept \ idea.

Now, It's dead.. I don't see EA making another one :-(((

..... just imagine the gorgeous beautiful colorful world of Mirror's Edge in UE5 in 40\60FPS on current gen.... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :'-(((

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I loved the games we got (even the mobile one— I wish they'd re-release it), but yeah, I'm pretty sure it's a dead series now. I wish it weren't though.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Tbh I could see a remaster of the original, now that EA has started exploring that business. Would love to see that sometime this gen.

Other than that... Yeah, it's done :/

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
What shitty things to say. People want more games of the franchises that they love. It's that simple and both of you know it. Don't be dicks.

Besides, AAA first-person parkour games don't really populate the market. I'd gladly trade a couple of military shooters for more, purely for diversity's sake.
I don't think it's harsh to just ask why it's necessary for more Mirror's Edge? Mirror's Edge delivered on it's premise really well but I don't think anything from Catalyst really begged for a sequel. We have some awesome indie games in the VR space right now that are super cool without having to be attached to a mega corporation and a few non-VR indie titles looking to show off similar gameplay, too.

As an aside, I would like to also express that it's annoying that I was just sort of posing the question and you're out here calling me a dick. Of course I understand that people just want more for things they love, but it's valid for me to ask why they feel they need more. If you feel like the question was contentious then I apologize for that.

Dec 25, 2018
A 2nd reboot that acknowledges the previous two as a VR sim training Faith for her real test as a runner in...

Mirrors 3dge

but honestly since EAs doing remasters now I could see them remastering/releasing the first game on new consoles (not that theres much to remaster outside of bevelling a few edges).

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Big fan of the first game. Haven't played second yet but I will soon since it's on game pass.

Maybe EA comes back to it in a few years when they need another hearts and mind title. Seems like skate 4 is that now.

I'd be fine with them just releasing a game that's basically just time trials.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was a fan of the first game, but I think the need to make everything open world and all the (poorly designed) nonsense that came with it killed the series with the second one. I get making the reboot more in tune with games that were coming out at the time, but I think it lost what made the first game interesting. more focused level design can still be done with a more open (but not open world) level design

Dablado

Jan 1, 2019
Take the first game, (or the second game and remove the world and everything that is non-linear) and remove all the guns and complete the trilogy!

Or maybe hopefully a spiritual successor at least?

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
It's dead. The first game was absolutely fantastic.

Squid Icarus

Jul 11, 2019
It's not 100% comparable to Mirror's Edge, but guys, you need to play Ghostrunner. It has a lot of Mirror's Edge in its movement and there's incredible platforming and flow, even though it has a different focus. One of the most overlooked games of last year, but easily my GOTY.

On topic, I don't think there's any future for Mirror's Edge. Personally, I adore the first one but hated Catalyst for its dumb and forced open world approach and the collectibles they put everywhere, ruined all the immersion and fun for me. I should give it another chance maybe, but when I first played it and was sooo liking forward to it, man did I hate it.