• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What's Mario's best jump?

• Wall Jump

Votes: 28 4.1%
  • Somersault Jump

Votes: 186 27.2%
  • Ground Pound Jump

Votes: 11 1.6%
  • Cap Jump

Votes: 28 4.1%
  • Spin Jump

Votes: 30 4.4%
  • Long Jump

Votes: 257 37.5%
  • Triple Jump

Votes: 145 21.2%

• Total voters

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Long is the best feeling. Followed by pound and spin which are useful.

Never been a fan of triple which feels sloppy and somersault has no use.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
The long jump has the most utility, but when you need the real shit you break out that triple jump.

Jmille99

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Top three are in the exact order of my top three.

1. Long Jump
2. Somersault Jump
3. Triple Jump

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
WAH

HOOHOO

YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

There's nothing like a superbly timed and spaced triple jump in the morning.

Long jump is prob most versatile though.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'll always love the triple jump most, that simple requirement to time three jumps consecutively, making those jumps a simple game game in itself. It's brilliant.

Shout out to the somersault though, such a great feeling and looking jump.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
eqA7JW6.jpg

hXoeRhF.jpg

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna go with the one nacho theory here...

It's a summer sault into a wall jump off of it into a hat jump into a dive onto the surface you want to land.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
Long jump because it easy to use and satisfying to master in situations that need it. The somersault is also nice because of the quick verticality but is not as easy to input as long jump.

The backward jump is easy to implement for verticality but not as quick as the somersault. Same to ground pound plus jump right afterwards.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm going to go with the Triple Jump.

It isn't always the best move for the situation, but when you DO get a solid triple jump full of cleared obstacles it feels so good.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The Spin Jump from Sunshine is my favorite jump of all time. Mario is the happiest when he performs it too. It's also the closest thing to a Long Jump in Sunshine since it doesn't have it.

IMO, I think you should have put down Back Flip Jump instead of Ground Pound Jump.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Long Jump all the way. Running fast then pulling it off is so satisfying.

shinespark

Oct 25, 2017
The long jump and somersault are my favorites, but Odyssey's mid-air dive into cap jump is also top tier.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised cap jump is not getting more love.

Odyssey is the maybe the best Mario has ever controlled.
The thing is, cap jump is best when joined with a long jump. I voted triple jump though cos I'm replaying Mario64 and my favourite thing to do is time it right to triple jump into portraits. Long jump is more functional, triple jump is more fun IMO.

doemaaan

Oct 27, 2017
I understand the Long Jump, but how the heck did Somersault and Triple beat out Spin Jump...
O_o

jetsetrez

Oct 27, 2017
Long jump is useful but most of the time just feels like a way to traverse distances faster, where as somersault feels awesome for actual platforming to high areas.

I do think cap jump is highly underrated in this poll though. Especially the dive onto the cap move, one of Mario's most mechanically neat tricks.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
The immediate answer that came to my head was actually the triple jump in the NSMB games. Those games aren't perfect or anything but the feeling of jumping in them is delightful.

My actual answer might be the cape jump in SMW or the long jump in Odyssey, but I'd have to go back and try everything out to decide.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Long Jump feels like the iconic 3D Mario move. After that Somersault is probably the most satisfying to execute and spin jump is the most useful if you can angle your trajectory correctly.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Long jump is possibly the most useful but nothing beats the satisfaction of landing a triple jump.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
I understand the Long Jump, but how the heck did Somersault and Triple beat out Spin Jump...
O_o
It's just not that prevalent in the 3D games, which seems to be where most people are coming from.

Sunshine by far did it the best, but by nature it feels rather loosely controlled and if you're doing levels in a sane way it's never really needed over somersault + hover.

If you know what you're doing with it, though, it's in between a double and triple jump and can be performed on the spot. Very, very effective in tight spaces, and you sacrifice just a little of the somersault's height for so much more momentum going into a hover (and it's a longer jump to start with). It's also still available while riding Yoshi, where it goes way further by default and can be augmented by a flutter. Seriously, I'm pretty sure you can jump further with a Yoshi spin jump than a Mario jump + hover. It's nuts, and you can go virtually anywhere with it.

Somersaulting is just easier though, and still very satisfying.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
tumblr_mgq142dFMf1qzj5ggo1_500.gif

This and the backflip in the same game.
I think there are three backflips in that GIF (even though the first could have been replaced with the third jump of the handstand sequence). Though I guess doing the third jump of the handstand sequence makes Mario pause a second for applause so this is faster.

It's interesting how the handstand behaves differently based on your timing, if you do it slowly or stand around in the handstand pose your second jump is 3 tiles high, if you jump immediately upon landing you get a 4 tile jump. And of course the third jump only happens if you jump immediately again.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
somersault jump is extremely satisfying and fun. Weirdly inconsistent in Mario 64 itself, though. Can't count the number of times I tried to make it activate and it just didn't happen. Still the best one tho.

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017
Long jump feels the best, but I always felt like the triple jump is just a cool, creative idea that really opens up the movement in interesting ways. Odyssey kinda negated it with the ground pound jump, but in SM64 & sunshine, it is a major reason why high level play of those games is so interesting. Locking the highest possible jump behind a quick succession of jumps leads to lots of unique on-the-fly decision making, and allows players to skip large portions of the stage if they have the skill to pull it off. It's just a really cool piece of game design IMO.