• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Boy isn't streaming great

This looks like a licensing issue to me but it's still why I don't completely love streaming. That video game streaming future can wait till I'm in the ground

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
It's either a tech issue or pre-existing licensing agreements that kicked in on 1/1/20.
Pirates 4 is now on

u3vBU9A.gif

JaredTaco

Oct 27, 2017
Shows will leave and then return to Disney+ for the next 5 - 10 years. Eventually all the licensing deals with other services that Disney and 20th Century Fox made will expire and then the shows will stay on Disney+ permanently.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
I don't have it as it is not yet available in my country, but it does seem to be skewed towards movies and animation and has little in the way of drama. Doesn't Disney also own touchstone, new line, miramax, and abc? The list I saw seems to be missing much of those.

New Line is owned by Warner Bros, and Disney sold off Miramax many years ago.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wtf content leaves, didn't know this

With Dolittle hitting this month, weird that it's taken down...

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So a classic like home alone is already leaving a brand new service? This is why we don't need more streaming services

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
People are going to lose their minds in 2026 when Netflix gets back the Disney content they're owed.

If physical sales were still a thing, I could see a "vault" move being used to drum up sales. Like right before Xmas have a super special 4k edition of Home Alone come out on disk only or something. Or something even dumber like pulling all the star wars movies when they release the normal 4k boxset.

It's one of the reasons I stopped buying GoT seasons and even the dirt cheap Stranger Things seasons... they will always be available, and even if I don't have the service if I want to rewatch I can just sub for a month.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

Prior Licensing Commitments is the cause behind this, not some nefarious streaming vault according to TV Guide.

Beloved movies like Home Alone, The Sandlot, Dr. Dolittle, and more up and vanished from the Disney+ library seemingly for no reason. So, is it simply a glitch or are the titles gone for good? TV Guide has learned that the surprise purge of content is no accident, but we also won't be saying goodbye to these titles permanently. Once existing licensing deals expire, these movies will rejoin Disney+ on a permanent basis as expected. Honestly, were you really going to watch Home Alone again before next December anyway?

Licensing Deals
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

Op can you please put this in the OP?

Beloved movies like Home Alone, The Sandlot, Dr. Dolittle, and more up and vanished from the Disney+ library seemingly for no reason. So, is it simply a glitch or are the titles gone for good? TV Guide has learned that the surprise purge of content is no accident, but we also won't be saying goodbye to these titles permanently. Once existing licensing deals expire, these movies will rejoin Disney+ on a permanent basis as expected. Honestly, were you really going to watch Home Alone again before next December anyway?

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Well at least that makes sense. Disney should have communicated that. It better yet paid a premium to renegotiate so their service is complete.

Regardless streaming is so fragmented now that I've switched from smart TV apps, ps4, and phone with HDMI out to roku's in each room. Can search all apps, consistent UI, fast, cheap.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Shows will leave and then return to Disney+ for the next 5 - 10 years. Eventually all the licensing deals with other services that Disney and 20th Century Fox made will expire and then the shows will stay on Disney+ permanently.

Yup. The vault practice is over. Disney themselves have said this publicly and loudly.

Because people go absolutely fucking brain dead stupid when the word "Disney" is spoken

They really do. 90% of anti-Disney sentiment is just embarrassing drivel.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Here in Canada, I have access to Home Alone 1 and 2 with Starz. Might be different from country to country, though.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's always dumb, but like, the Criterion streaming service pulls the curated sh*t as well. It's not surprising anymore.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
2 month old service and content is already leaving? WTF? And double WTF for anything at all being removed. They own it all!! No licensing deals.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
OP needs an updating now that we know what the deal is.

Ain't nobody gonna read anything but what's there.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Wtf. I only subbed to watch home alone 2 over and over and over again. I'm out.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah sure licensing deals but when exactly do they get the movies back? years from now? next year? they need to be open about this stuff. mandalorian season is over and they are losing popular movies. not much reason to stay subscribed right now.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
yeah sure licensing deals but when exactly do they get the movies back? years from now? next year? they need to be open about this stuff. mandalorian season is over and they are losing popular movies. not much reason to stay subscribed right now.

Definitely agree, at the very least put that template where it says when they will be coming back.

I know they lose a ton of mcu movies back to Netflix in 2026? For a bit before it comes back permanently

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
This thread was quite a read. some of these responses are wild, hyperbole and conspiracies and vitriol right out the gate lol.