• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why would anything leave? they own all of it and their service is already anemic.

and why is it leaving so soon after launch?

christ, the hubris

Oct 26, 2017
ITT - People don't know how licensing with content works, and automatically assume it's some conspiracy on creating artificial scarcity (never mind that the idea of artificial scarcity is incompatible with the idea of digital streaming).

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Back when I worked at Carmike in my late teens and Flicka came out I really wanted to take the standee home. Not because I had any hype or appreciation for the movie itself but for the fact that with the font they used it really looked like the movie was called "Fucka".

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, massive corporations always function in a logical and consumer friendly way.

???

The entire point of a corporation is to do things based entirely on profit potential. So yes, they do things in a "logical" manner insofar as money is concerned.

Also, why are you talking about consumer-friendly? Taking away films/shows isn't new. We see this in Netflix, and even in gaming stores (PSN, Xbox Live) as well due to the licensing deals of these content. That's the nature of digital streaming, and has nothing to do with giving any benefit of the doubt or "anti-consumer" nonsense.

There are way better issues that are actually anti-consumer than this.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
???

The entire point of a corporation is to do things based entirely on profit potential. So yes, they do things in a "logical" manner insofar as money is concerned.

Also, why are you talking about consumer-friendly? Taking away films/shows isn't new. We see this in Netflix, and even in gaming stores (PSN, Xbox Live) as well due to the licensing deals of these content. That's the nature of digital streaming.
It sucks

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I don't believe in the vault, but logic to earn the most profit is often made up of inaccurate and biased information, so really shouldn't be used as a catch all as to explain away what looks like irrational behavior.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
you're asking if disney has enough content?

lol

I don't have it as it is not yet available in my country, but it does seem to be skewed towards movies and animation and has little in the way of drama. Doesn't Disney also own touchstone, new line, miramax, and abc? The list I saw seems to be missing much of those.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
I don't have it as it is not yet available in my country, but it does seem to be skewed towards movies and animation and has little in the way of drama. Doesn't Disney also own touchstone, new line, miramax, and abc? The list I saw seems to be missing much of those.

Touchstone was literally invented to be a brand for stuff Disney didn't want to put the Disney name on - that stuff will be on Hulu, not Disney+.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
???

Also, why are you talking about consumer-friendly? Taking away films/shows isn't new. We see this in Netflix, and even in gaming stores (PSN, Xbox Live) as well due to the licensing deals of these content. That's the nature of digital streaming, and has nothing to do with giving any benefit of the doubt or "anti-consumer" nonsense.

There are way better issues that are actually anti-consumer than this.

Can you give an example of Netflix removing a Netflix original? Because that would be the equivalent. Disney+ wasn't marketed as HBO but as an extensive catalogue.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I dunno what it is about POTC2, but it was also mysteriously absent from Netflix forever as well. Pirate-heads could only watch 1 and 3, lol.

Edit: oh wait that's 4, nevermind, it can get fucked.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
My educated guess is that for certain titles, they wanted them back early and were able to make short term non exclusive licensing deal to get them on the service. Those rights have now reverted and here we are.

This still sucks though and they should've communicated this clearly with customers beforehand.

Oct 27, 2017
ITT - People don't know how licensing with content works, and automatically assume it's some conspiracy on creating artificial scarcity (never mind that the idea of artificial scarcity is incompatible with the idea of digital streaming).
ITT people who logically assumed Disney's content would always be available, like Netflix's is...Especially when the content appears to be 20th Century Fox, which Disney owns. But if this is just the cases of existing contracts running their course, well I guess we'll see, but if this is Disney just vaulting certain content then they're rightfully be criticized

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Yeah I'm on the it's tech issues(for the most part) if it was licensing(or shadiness) the pages would still be live with a "coming XX/XX/XXXX" statement. mighty med was supposed to be on at launch and disappeared and that's a fully owned Disney XD series that never got licensed to any streaming service(and they have its follow up show in there)

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Probably licensing/tech issues probably. Wait until next month to see if anything else leaves before freaking out.

JimJamJones

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing as yesterday was 1/1 and that these are still available in other regions, my bet is it's a previously made, pre-D+ deal for streaming rights on another platform.

Haruko

Oct 25, 2017
Disney already said they aren't vault-ing anything on Disney+; anything being removed is assuredly because of pre-existing streaming rights deals they have to wait out or for technical issues.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Is there a list of what's coming in January?

Dec. 31

Marvel's Spider-Man (Season 2)

Jan. 1

America's National Parks (Season 1)

Austin & Ally (Season 1-4)

Billy Dilley's Super-Duper Subterranean Summer (Season 1)

Bugged (Short)

Continent 7: Antarctica (Season 1)

Cool Runnings

Dog: Impossible (Season 1)

Dr. K's Exotic Animal ER (Season 8)

Dr. Oakley, Yukon Vet (Season 7)

Dr. T, Lone Star Vet (Season 1)

Drain Alcatraz

Drain The Bermuda Triangle

Drain The Great Lakes

Drain The Ocean: WWII

Drain The Oceans (Season 2)

Drain The Sunken Pirate City

Drain The Titanic

El Materdor (Short)

First Class Chefs: Family Style (Season 1)

Hacksaw

Holes

Marvel Rising: Secret Warriors — Battle Of The Bands

Marvel Super Hero Adventures (Shorts) (Season 2-3)

Marvel: 75 Years, From Pop To Pulp!

Moon Mater (Short)

Muppet Babies Show And Tell (Shorts) (Season 2-3)

One Strange Rock (Season 1)

Out There With Jack Randall (Season 1)

Randy Cunningham: 9th Grade Ninja (Season 1-2)

Red Tails

Rescue Squad Mater (Short)

Soy Luna (Season 1)

Spinning (Short)

Super Rhino (Short)

The Golden Touch (Short)

The Lodge (Season 1-2)

The Proud Family (Season 1-2)

The Super Hero Squad Show (Season 1-2)

Time Travel Mater (Short)

Tokyo Mater (Short)

Unidentified Flying Mater (Short)

Vaprinia Ghouls Girls Rock! (Shorts) (Season 1)

Wild Russia (Season 1)

Year Million (Season 1)

Jan. 2

Life Below Zero (Season 13)

Jan. 8

Aladdin (2019)

Jan. 10

Destino (Short)

Marvel's Runaways (Season 3)

Jan. 17

Diary of a Future President

Jan. 28

The Lion King (2019)

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Cool Runnings is so much better than it has any right to be. What a fun movie.

Yep

That was one of my disappointments at the start of the service

Glad it's coming so I can watch it again for the 100th time , this time on my new tv 😂

Also Aladdin and lion king is great cause I haven't seen them yet

Still waiting for Aladdin tv series though 😒

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
A handful of movies shifting puts something in shambles? Lord the hyperbole on that is rich...
No, having an anemic offering in the first place, a bad app that doesn't cast well and has no autoplay, needing to space out new series weekly and then removing films so you can add them later, all to try to keep the anemic offering enticing, puts it in shambles.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Can you give an example of Netflix removing a Netflix original? Because that would be the equivalent. Disney+ wasn't marketed as HBO but as an extensive catalogue.

Netflix call everything that they air in that specific territory first a "Netflix Original" nowadays, so it's happened dozens of times. The Good Place and Star Trek Discovery are marketed as Netflix Originals overseas. The Expanse was marketed as a NF Original and pulled when it went to Amazon.

But even then, things Netflix have marketed as actual Netflix originations like Lilyhammer have been removed from time to time, and lots of shows people assume are NF shows but which are made by other people (HoC, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, the Marvel shows, OITNB etc etc) will probably drop off the service eventually even if it is a decade later.