• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
So yeah, what's LA like right now?

I ask because I just saw this video, from Barbs (of Geography Now fame, an excellent YouTube channel which is profiling every single country in the world)

youtu.be

Now is not a good time in Los Angeles/ California.

Hiatus Check out http://www.GeographyNow.com Become a patron! Donate to help pay for production of GN. You also get exclusive BTS footage, pics/ and access t...

In it, he announced he's taking a break from GN (totally cool), mostly because LA /California is such a trash pit at the moment.

He rails a bit against the business environment in Cali (slightly suspect imo), but then goes on to talk about LA itself. Trash everywhere, social services being cut for (to him) no reason, rash of businesses closing (it's the same story in many places though).

Etc etc etc. Is this a fair picture of LA right now? I've been to lots of places, but weirdly haven't been to LA yet. It's like a dream of mine, and I'll make it happen soon enough.

cubicle47b

Aug 9, 2019
I've heard a fair amount of talk about how dirty LA is and how bad the homeless problem is. We moved to California in February and I never went into LA (although we did go to Santa Clarita which was very nice) before everything shut down so I have no personal experience.

Sep 14, 2019
I haven't really been out since the pandemic started.

I haven't heard people talk about how dirty it's been lately 🤷🏽‍♂️

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
There has certainly be a noticeable uptick in the size and amount of homeless camps especially in the downtown and Hollywood areas. I don't notice public areas being noticeably dirtier than usual. I feel like business areas have cut back on their litter pick up as they have focused on other cleaning. The Vons near me had a lot of trash in the parking lot because all of the people who normally would deal with that are sanitizing carts. Things like that. I assume it is the same most places as tax revenues and business margins have plummeted.

On the plus side, I see almost 100% mask utilization when I go to the store for groceries.

PunchyMalone

May 1, 2018
I have been stuck in my room for 8 months now and we're still averaging 1k+ cases a day. The air quality has been shit from the fires and it has been 90-100+ degrees for a few months, so even escaping my room for a run has been unavailable for a while. Not going to lie, I feel like I'm just waiting out the days till the end of the world at this point.

Feb 1, 2018
The homeless situation just gets worse and worse, and nobodys doing shit about it because surprise surprise most city council people are landlords and the housing crisis benefits them (supply and demand)

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I say this every time I see LA in a thread title..I don't think people understand how big Los Angeles county is. If we're talking about downtown LA being Blade Runner then sure in parts it's a disaster. That said, I'm driving to my grandmas in the San Gabriel Valley about 20 minutes outside of downtown LA and we're just fine here. Blanket statements that say "LA " never make any sense

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
West coast was literally on fire. Smoke was in the air for weeks.

Oh yeah, I know, it's just the way my dude described it was very surreal, literally said "this is Blade Runner type shit, you literally can't go outside." Plus the fact that his wife is eight months pregnant, fears over the pandemic, and their A/C breaking down with wildly high temperatures going on, he's having a rough one. But he's in Hollywood so I don't know about how the rest of the city is doing.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
I say this every time I see LA in a thread title..I don't think people understand how big Los Angeles county is. If we're talking about downtown LA being Blade Runner then sure in parts it's a disaster. That said, I'm driving to my grandmas in the San Gabriel Valley about 20 minutes outside of downtown LA and we're just fine here. Blanket statements that say "LA " never make any sense
This is very true.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
We are seeing double digit growth in homeless population the past 2-3 years so that continues to escalate problems in normal hot spots including downtown, Hollywood and Venice.

California will be forever fucked until we pass sweeping deregulation on zoning. But the centrist fuck wads at the state level won't do that as a means to guarantee reelection so we stay in stale mate as more and more people get evicted.

LA is still an amazing place but it's dirty and grime and very rough around the edges. But it's always been that way. Maybe the people in Santa Monica just are Being vocal about it because their shops got looted.Boo hoo

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
Im currently in the final stages of interviews for a job in the Bay Area.

It's a "dream" job but I'm not sure if I should take it if it's offered to me.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Lived here for a year and the amount of unused space and real estate while 60k go homeless is a testament to its condition.

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
I grew up in LA county, but visited the city of LA now and then. I haven't been in California for almost 9 years now. From what I remember, LA county was great, but the city was eh. A lot of homeless people around, unfortunately. Some streets reeked of piss.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
(looks outside) I dunno, fine?

There are greater numbers of homeless tents about, I suppose. Air quality has gone back down to "normal" and life is pretty much just chugging along.

Jordan117

Oct 27, 2017
Alabammy
what's suspect about that? it's true.
It did strike me as odd that the most specific problem he mentioned was business taxes (and reduced services... caused in part by lower tax revenue), while glossing over more immediate stuff like the pandemic, wildfires, economic downturn, social unrest, etc.

Though personally the biggest yikes moment for me was him talking about taking his mom to New Orleans for a cookout with fans of the channel. Ain't no amount of social distancing that would make me feel safe doing that.

thermopyle

Nov 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah the homeless crises has gotten even worst in the 4 years since we passed measure HHH to provide $1.2 billion taxes for homeless housing. Only 200 or so units have actually been built and thousands in the "pipeline". A lot of advocates like to talk of housing only first but I think mandatory mental services need to go hand in hand, especially for those who've been homeless for years. Imagine that length of time in survival mode would give anyone issues, even if you had none starting.

But some LA neighborhoods are less affected than others obviously. I live in dtla bordering skid row so it's literally right outside my door. I had a dude completely nude rummaging in the trash while some BID guys looked on and everyone else just walking on by. I still love the city, but I wouldn't say it's in great shape.

geomon

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
006.gif

I mean, the homeless population keeps increasing each year, and neither the voters (well, homeowners, moreso) nor the government seem to want to make a concerted effort to fix it.

Otherwise, it just looks like LA with a few more homeless encampments. LA isn't the prettiest city around to begin with, so...

rhindle

Oct 27, 2017
The homelessness crisis has been held in check somewhat by the fact that there's been an eviction moratorium in place since the start of the pandemic. If that gets lifted all hell's going to break lose. Housing prices in many parts of town have actually continued to *rise* during the pandemic.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
LA County's alright. LA City was having all kinds of issues prior to the pandemic, and I imagine it hasn't gotten much better with lower tax revenue and increased expenses due to the pandemic.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I mean L.A. has always been dirty, that's nothing new. There are definitely more homeless people now.
The weather has been absolute shit for my taste in the last few weeks though :(

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
I have noticed its gotten dirtier in the streets. Assuming this is because all Street cleaning is still suspended.

And yeah. A blanket statement like "LA" isn't really a good way to narrow down the metropolis. Its quite different in every area.

edit: ahh yeah he covers this. I'm also still wondering why Street cleaning has been suspended. I'm presuming it also has to do with Parking. Since everyone is at home these days, If street cleaning were to start up again it will be a shitshow for people moving their cars (but i think they should really get street and public cleaning services back up)

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Live in 90020 four blocks from the mayor. Barely go out but seems about the same. Little dirtier. People wear masks though. Def lots of closed businesses but there are a lot of people out and about though def still noticeably less than before

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
I'm in San Diego. It's hot but otherwise great. I still can't believe how many tourists are still visiting. Biggest downside for me is that the beaches are much more crowded than usual. I'm guessing because nothing is open due to COVID. I just pretty much stay home nowadays and get out for exercise although I was lucky enough to drive out to Utah last week for some backpacking in Escalante. One thing I have really been enjoying since the lockdown is the lack of traffic. I can get anywhere ins SD now in less than 20 minutes at like any time of day. I have not been to LA since February but it was fine then, buddy lives in Los Feliz. Lots of homeless folks but otherwise everything was pretty nice. San Diego is buying up older hotels to house the homeless now and are building housing for homeless/low income folks downtown. I really hope we can get lots of these people the help they need but Homelessness is definitely SoCals number one problem besides wild fires IMO.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the homeless crises has gotten even worst in the 4 years since we passed measure HHH to provide $1.2 billion taxes for homeless housing. Only 200 or so units have actually been built and thousands in the "pipeline". A
lot of advocates like to talk of housing only first but I think mandatory mental services need to go hand in hand, especially for those who've been homeless for years. Imagine that length of time in survival mode would give anyone issues, even if you had none starting.

But some LA neighborhoods are less affected than others obviously. I live in dtla bordering skid row so it's literally right outside my door. I had a dude completely nude rummaging in the trash while some BID guys looked on and everyone else just walking on by. I still love the city, but I wouldn't say it's in great shape.

Working as a community mental health worker with many clients who experienced homelessness and now in policy around homelessness...Housing First works. Treatment First just doesn't - and was the default (and still largely is for most providers) up until people actually studied which works best to end homelessness. Keeping people on the streets or trying to force them into emergency shelter just piles up trauma, worsens physical and mental health problems, and doesn't provide a stable place for people to start treatment.

A lack of both housing supply and rental assistance are the real problem - 77 percent of extremely low income renters pay over half their income on rent. And that's beyond people experiencing homelessness. We're hearing now about landlords coming to community housing providers asking for renters with vouchers (in SF specifically with how the city has emptied) but there are not enough vouchers to get people housed.

The Chez Soi/at home study is among the best on Housing First v. treatment first.

There are a bunch more explainers on Housing First, but USICH does a decent summary.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
L.A. is amazing at marketing itself. Then tourists visit Hollywood Blvd. and realize it's a total shithole. Plus they realize there's no freeway exit for Beverly Hills.

Oct 27, 2017
Homelessness and high rents are still big concerns. And we need that fixed like yesterday. But I still love this stinking town.

I also don't put too much stock in people being all "CA makes it impossible to run a business."

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Depends on what you mean by LA. I live in the Valley, and it looks and feels exactly the same as it always has.

vodalus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CT
I live in Los Angeles, and I'm not a fan of it, but every city has its own problems. To my eyes San Francisco and New York have way more challenges ahead of them than Los Angeles.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
It's a solid snapshot of life under late capitalism. It's an ugly city both visually and deep in its soul.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
This video is the perfect example of how hard it is to describe LA. It's such a massive city made up of various regions that are completely different from one another. The east side, Hollywood, Downtown, South Central, The West Side and this is being reductive at best.

I grabbed a few of these to respond to but really depending on if you have a job right now and where you live LA is going to be very different for everyone.

I've heard a fair amount of talk about how dirty LA is and how bad the homeless problem is. We moved to California in February and I never went into LA (although we did go to Santa Clarita which was very nice) before everything shut down so I have no personal experience.

Yes the homelessness is a problem as it always has been, there appears to be a larger uptick in it as well but nothing significantly worse than it was before. There are so many reasons even with proper support this will continue, one of which being that homeless people head to fair weather climates like SoCal if they are able to make it here. California has a number of programs and social services far underserving these people but also far better than many other states.

If we're going to talk about the dirt that's just normal when the fires from the rest of the state have had ash so visible it was like ground level fog, you were able to taste smoke in the air for over a week.

Since LA is surrounded by mountains and hills it's geography makes it both less susceptible to rain and that also keeps things like smog and smoke in for longer. Without any new rain there's nothing to clean the air or the buildings and streets. It often looks kinda dusty come fall but the intense fires destroying so much of the state have exacerbated this.

I haven't really been out since the pandemic started.

I haven't heard people talk about how dirty it's been lately 🤷🏽‍♂️

Because it's not really much worse than normal except for the additional ash we received.

There has certainly be a noticeable uptick in the size and amount of homeless camps especially in the downtown and Hollywood areas. I don't notice public areas being noticeably dirtier than usual. I feel like business areas have cut back on their litter pick up as they have focused on other cleaning. The Vons near me had a lot of trash in the parking lot because all of the people who normally would deal with that are sanitizing carts. Things like that. I assume it is the same most places as tax revenues and business margins have plummeted.

On the plus side, I see almost 100% mask utilization when I go to the store for groceries.

This is less because there are more homeless from LA and more because people have had to head south from the fires, and the police in places like the valley pushing them south below the hills.

A friend of mine recently told me it's some Blade Runner type shit with black and red skies during the day.

That was for a few days from the fires, it's much worse near them in NorCal.

Homelessness and high rents are still big concerns. And we need that fixed like yesterday. But I still love this stinking town.

I also don't put too much stock in people being all "CA makes it impossible to run a business."

This. Also rents have been dropping because people who have jobs are leaving the city to work remotely from larger nicer spaces for the forseeable future. So many articles about why you should not be buying homes in the suburbs right now are because of the new surplus of remote work enabling city dwellers with the money to abondon it. Housing prices in the city have dropped in many places when it comes to purchasing, the avg home has considerably less bids on it and they are selling below what would have been the value a year ago.

Rent is much more negotiable depening on where you live. Too many buildings now are losing tenants and so they are willing to compromise on pricing and not raise rent from people who are actually able to pay.

Depends on what you mean by LA. I live in the Valley, and it looks and feels exactly the same as it always has.

This is mostly true minus mmore places are closing but this is not unique to LA and more bars/returants will continue to close without better Gov support. This is happening everywhere though, the valley so far has seemed to do better than areas liek Hollywood because they rely on tourism. Downtown is also suffering from so many clientel nno longer heading to work in the buildings that they can't afford to keep their shops open. The more residential area's like NoHo, Studio City, Los Feliz, Atwater, Venice ect are mostly doing alright and some places are seeing a increase in demand due to work from home for delivery and pickup service.

I live in Los Angeles, and I'm not a fan of it, but every city has its own problems. To my eyes San Francisco and New York have way more challenges ahead of them than Los Angeles.

I will always love the silence of San Fran residents when it comes to homelessness in LA. They know there is no where else other than their own city that having to avoid human feces on a regular basis is a thing. They pay big bucks for people to have to clean that everyday.

It's a solid snapshot of life under late capitalism. It's an ugly city both visually and deep in its soul.

What a worthless comment.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I live in the South Bay portion of Los Angeles. It's a wonderful place.

I've lived in and around Los Angeles for 10+ years. It's a lovely, vibrant and challenging city. A lot of people can't make it here for a lot of good reasons and it takes a certain type of stubborn to stick here and try. You'll be rewarded by the quality and quantity and pissed off by the cost of living and inequities.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Im leaving soon and while I'll miss the people I'll not be missing most of the city.

Like others have said people dont realize how big LA is, its practically its own small state. Parts of LA vary greatly in terms of homelessness, job stability, and living conditions. Even weather and things like the effects of fires can look fairly different based on what part of LA you are in.

that being said in a general sense I do agree with the video and the rate that housing and homelessness is increasing is especially alarming.

Ducayne

Oct 27, 2017
My now husband and I moved to LA two years ago after about a decade in NYC. We had talked about moving here for years, mostly because we work in the film business and my husband lived here previously and has circle of friends out here.

It really was the worst decision of our life. California in all is a beautiful state with lots of variety, and enjoyed our weekend trips to various spots close by (Santa Barbara, Palm Springs, etc). But I really hate LA proper. We were hoping to buy a home, but with working long hours in our industry and the awful traffic, we would only be able to afford something of the size and budget we want with a 90+ minute commute each way.

and while our circle of friends is nice, they have all have a long history. We kinda left the people and our families that we've been building relationships for people (I feel) are more acquaintances.

we also moved here and then got married on the east coast in Mexico, and I think it just really changed our perspective of what's important in our lives, which is our family and having one of our own. Now we're in the process of trying to relocate back to central PA, which is proving difficult with our careers and work experience.

Oh and covid and being stuck in our house for 7 months and down to only one salary.

edit: and yes, the homeless is awful. Worse than I ever experienced in NYC and I feel far more unsafe walking around even in my rather pedestrian neighborhood in West Hollywood than I ever did in NYC/Brooklyn.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
I lived and worked in LA, sorry I didn't sing its praises?

The management of the city have no interest in fixing its systemic problems and will allow it to decay as along as their quality of life isn't negatively impacted.

No one said you had to praise it, but your comment was as ugly as you claimed the city is and offered no real information. It comes off as someone who simply does not like LA and has adds zero value to the conversation.

The managment of the city has the same systemic problems of the gov in the country as whole. It's not just on them, it's on the residents to make them change the problems. People point to NYC homeless as not being as bad and again it just depends on where in the city you live.

The majority of people in LA absolutely care about the homeless issue, and if you were unaware of this after your time living here it means you probably weren't involved and working to help them. There are countless programs, charities and systems we have in place. Did you ever volunteer to count the homeless, did you go to a food shelter, did you donate clothing or money? If you did I don't know how you could ever believe what you wrote.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
No one said you had to praise it, but your comment was as ugly as you claimed the city is and offered no real information. It comes off as someone who simply does not like LA and has adds zero value to the conversation.

The managment of the city has the same systemic problems of the gov in the country as whole. It's not just on them, it's on the residents to make them change the problems. People point to NYC homeless as not being as bad and again it just depends on where in the city you live.

The majority of people in LA absolutely care about the homeless issue, and if you were unaware of this after your time living here it means you probably weren't involved and working to help them. There are countless programs, charities and systems we have in place. Did you ever volunteer to count the homeless, did you go to a food shelter, did you donate clothing or money? If you did I don't know how you could ever believe what you wrote.

You contradict yourself - you claim the majority of people care about the homeless issue but the residents are the ones who have to create change. Almost like there are systemic barriers that prevent real change from occurring. (The rest of the country facing similar problems doesn't take away from the failures of LA, by the way.)

Saying a city is ugly does not necessarily reflect on its average citizen but of the systems in power that prevent real material change. And yes, I worked and volunteered to help the homeless, if you need some arbitrary measurement to validate my opinion. There are many great people in LA that I love, but its ugliness is a result of the contradictions laid bare in our society. Working in Hollywood, you see the blatant hypocrisy of that sort of society all too clear, where the powerful will never give meaningful concessions to the impoverished while benefitting from keeping that system in place.

Oct 25, 2017
LA is big and wide. Some parts are great, others shit, others eh. It's like 5 states in one. These "apocalyptic" comments are probably reacting to the worse parts of Downtown LA. But almost anywhere else, it's pretty normal.
This is the truest truth in the thread.

Coolverine

May 7, 2018
these threads always enrage me because the way people here write about their experiences, it generally appears people move to LA with high hopes and dreams, their life doesn't become some fairytale, so they immediately have to shit talk the city instead of really being objective about their whole situation.

i was and born and raised and spent my entire life in southern california. i grew up not caring too much about the great variety the city has to offer. i only really grew to love it late in my adult years. I even tried to escape it a lot, but routinely found myself being "stuck" there. I did manage to move away two years ago, but I am finding my way back because a new job is taking me back home, and for that I am excited to be back, because LA is a special place.

COVID probably is fucking it up a bit, but what huge city in this country wasn't ravaged by it. It isn't perfect, but it is by FAR, nothing remotely close to a crappy place to live. just don't leave your humble midwest upbringing with little plans and think you're gonna live some lavish life. I've met several people like that and they all return home. Had I not been born there, I'd have some hesitation about trying to chase some dream.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
You contradict yourself - you claim the majority of people care about the homeless issue but the residents are the ones who have to create change. Almost like there are systemic barriers that prevent real change from occurring. (The rest of the country facing similar problems doesn't take away from the failures of LA, by the way.)

Saying a city is ugly does not necessarily reflect on its average citizen but of the systems in power that prevent real material change. And yes, I worked and volunteered to help the homeless, if you need some arbitrary measurement to validate my opinion. There are many great people in LA that I love, but its ugliness is a result of the contradictions laid bare in our society. Working in Hollywood, you see the blatant hypocrisy of that sort of society all too clear, where the powerful will never give meaningful concessions to the impoverished while benefitting from keeping that system in place.

It only is a contradiction if you believe that simply voting or wanting things to change leads to change. The apathy of previous generations and errosion of unions has lead to the general loss of knowing how to fight, protest, march and demand change. Also yes when you wrote the city was ugly in it's soul, so that certainly does reflect on it's people as the people. The systems in power that prevent real material change can always be brought down but as can be seen country wide this is never going to be easy, fast or anything but an ruthless fight. If you look at the protests, marches and growing activism in this city it's obvious that the people are willing to keep that fight going though.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
It only is a contradiction if you believe that simply voting or wanting things to change leads to change. The apathy of previous generations and errosion of unions has lead to the general loss of knowing how to fight, protest, march and demand change. Also yes when you wrote the city was ugly in it's soul, so that certainly does reflect on it's people as the people. The systems in power that prevent real material change can always be brought down but as can be seen country wide this is never going to be easy, fast or anything but an ruthless fight. If you look at the protests, marches and growing activism in this city it's obvious that the people are willing to keep that fight going though.

The culture of LA still breeds apathy to this day with its gentrification, income inequality, and other issues, so certainly, yes, that is reflected in the soul of the city. I'm okay with calling a spade a spade, despite the great people that live there. The fact that you chose to antagonize me thinking I was attacking the people who live there (including the ones trying to bring change) indicates a weird misplaced sense of priority. Aim that class antagonism at the people in charge. Cities aren't holy tribal grounds that need to be defended, the people matter far more than any concept of a city or a state.

these threads always enrage me because the way people here write about their experiences, it generally appears people move to LA with high hopes and dreams, their life doesn't become some fairytale, so they immediately have to shit talk the city instead of really being objective about their whole situation.

i was and born and raised and spent my entire life in southern california. i grew up not caring too much about the great variety the city has to offer. i only really grew to love it late in my adult years. I even tried to escape it a lot, but routinely found myself being "stuck" there. I did manage to move away two years ago, but I am finding my way back because a new job is taking me back home, and for that I am excited to be back, because LA is a special place.

COVID probably is fucking it up a bit, but what huge city in this country wasn't ravaged by it. It isn't perfect, but it is by FAR, nothing remotely close to a crappy place to live. just don't leave your humble midwest upbringing with little plans and think you're gonna live some lavish life. I've met several people like that and they all return home. Had I not been born there, I'd have some hesitation about trying to chase some dream.

lmao fucking pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease, stop posting bootstrap bullshit (nice classism aimed at the midwest btw)

signed, someone born and raised in socal