• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Video game names...

• I don't care about them...

Votes: 85 54.8%
  • Touch DIC is a real name?

Votes: 35 22.6%
  • I happen to like touch dic

Votes: 31 20.0%
  • Apex legends really is a generic name.

Votes: 48 31.0%
  • Vex.

Votes: 15 9.7%

• Total voters

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Not exactly the same situation. but it can be hard to walk into a store and explain that you are looking for Guilty Gear Accent Core Plus, and specifically that, not just Guilty Gear Accent Core.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Ehrgeiz is a hype as fuck name.

The only game were I know the title made all the difference is this:
store.steampowered.com

Full Metal Furies on Steam

From the creators of Rogue Legacy comes a "true-cooperative" action RPG. FULL METAL FURIES puts an emphasis on team play with a unique combat system where everyone is important. Play on the couch, alone or with friends, or make it an online party for up to four players!

Glad Disco Elyisum dodged that bulled, because initially it was called "No Truce With The Furies".

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
"What game are you playing?"

A. Tell the truth and attempt to say "Guilty Gear XX Accent Core+R

B. Just say Call of Duty

Chaserjoey

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
it is not just subtitles.. it is that they just seem to have added that just because.

Like what DOES RE:ZERO even mean? Like.... Im being genuine here? Do you know? "reply zero"? The ones you've listed seem fine. They all talk about the region the game takes place in (san andreas and Skyrim). Sands of time makes sense given the game's mechanics. Combat evolved speaks for itself. You are literally in a super suit of armor shooting high tech weaponry. Only one I probably think is cheesy is Reigns of chaos.. Just warcraft 3 is fine unless there already was a W3, and this was the spin off?

EDIT: another one is "Tokyo Ghoul: Re".. again... what is the Japanese fascination with "Re"?
At least at Square Enix, Re: is used to indicate it's a remake, ala Re:Chain of Memories and Re:coded.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Kingdom Hearts HD II.8 Final Chapter Prologue is a vomit-inducing name that really devalues the importance of the game collection.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Devil May Cry is a play on the saying "devil may care" which means someone who's attitude is reckless and cocky, like dante
the cry part is that even over the top ninja turtle badasses have feelings too, and thus you "even a devil may cry"

Tactics Ogre is because it's a Tactical RPG entry of the Ogre Battle series
Ogre Battle is also a Queen reference
that said, I think something "Ogre Battle Tactics" doesn't really roll of the tongue as well as Tactics Ogre

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
I don't think titles really impact what I buy tbh. I might think they're good or bad, but I'll buy the game if I think it looks good regardless.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
it is not just subtitles.. it is that they just seem to have added that just because.

Like what DOES RE:ZERO even mean? Like.... Im being genuine here? Do you know? "reply zero"? The ones you've listed seem fine. They all talk about the region the game takes place in (san andreas and Skyrim). Sands of time makes sense given the game's mechanics. Combat evolved speaks for itself. You are literally in a super suit of armor shooting high tech weaponry. Only one I probably think is cheesy is Reigns of chaos.. Just warcraft 3 is fine unless there already was a W3, and this was the spin off?

EDIT: another one is "Tokyo Ghoul: Re".. again... what is the Japanese fascination with "Re"?

Interesting! For Tactics Ogre, the tactics relates to style and presentation similar to Final Fantasy Tactics. Ogre has always been been somewhat of a plot point in the series which is usually titled Ogre Battle, so the rest of it is just the Queen song which might make the whole thing less appealing but I personally really like it, even if I didn't know it was a Queen song the (remake's) cover and title are certainly interesting to me. Does me providing some context for TO:LUCT make it a little better for you?

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I think OP is just upset his username is one letter away from being a reference to a mediocre platformer from 6th gen.

2214581-box_vexx.png

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
if we're ever talking about missed opportunities with names, I'll always be upset that Ogre Battle never got a dating sim spin-off that kept the Queen subtitle thing running

Romance Ogre: Fat-Bottomed Girls

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles X

In general Japan's pension for tacking multiple random English words that sound cool, together and calling a title is the thread winner. But its just hilarious that between the English speaking/foreign staffers they have in Japan, the internet, and all the marketing divisions in the world they work with, no one says "you know these words are nonsense together and people make fun of it"

Its likely met with "well I'm the boss so were calling it Xrd"

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
Ehrgeiz is a hype as fuck name.

The only game were I know the title made all the difference is this:
store.steampowered.com

Full Metal Furies on Steam

From the creators of Rogue Legacy comes a "true-cooperative" action RPG. FULL METAL FURIES puts an emphasis on team play with a unique combat system where everyone is important. Play on the couch, alone or with friends, or make it an online party for up to four players!

Glad Disco Elyisum dodged that bulled, because initially it was called "No Truce With The Furies".
No Truce with the Furies is a badass name and Disco Elysium is a terrible name

the internet needs to learn to read.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
How could you make that list in the OP without including underbirth or any of the kingdom hearts titles?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget Cadence of Hyrule: The Crypt of the Necrodancer Featuring the Legend of Zelda

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
I'm a really big fan of Japanese game names that have random punctuation of or a loose grasp on the English language. The titles I hate the most are generic shit like "Raid: Shadow Legends". That game could basically be any genre or setting. It sounds like it was chosen via dartboard (in a bad way).

"No Truce with the Furies" and "Disco Elysium" are both good names, although I like No Truce more. Have yet to play the game, though. And yeah, changing it was probably the right call.

I think the worst AAA name in recent memory is "Apex Legends". It's only two words, and yet there's so much overlap between those two words. Both words basically boil down to being "the best". It's like naming your game "Excellent All Stars". Awful.

Lt.Chips

Nov 4, 2017
A little different but... a game called The Outer Worlds and another called The Outer Wilds is confusing the heck out of everyone (especially on text-only posts and forums). And they came out roughly at the same time point!

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Falcom games have terrible names. I honestly think titles like "The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel" and "Ys" hold the games back.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think titles really impact what I buy tbh. I might think they're good or bad, but I'll buy the game if I think it looks good regardless.
Good names can definitely help games stand out. I doubt The Friends of Ringo Ishikawa would have gotten nearly as much attention as it did without the cool title to draw interest.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles X

In general Japan's pension for tacking multiple random English words that sound cool, together and calling a title is the thread winner. But its just hilarious that between the English speaking/foreign staffers they have in Japan, the internet, and all the marketing divisions in the world they work with, no one says "you know these words are nonsense together and people make fun of it"

Its likely met with "well I'm the boss so were calling it Xrd"
Xrd was a result of the developers creating Guilty Gear, Gear Gear X, and Guilty Gear XX without considering what this pattern would inevitably lead to. It's not as silly as where they were headed.

One has to imagine that there are people in Square Enix's PR department who wake up drenched in sweat after nightmares that they're finally going to have to start promoting Final Fantasy 30.

Queen song titles are weird Japanese?

Teo Torriatte is.

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
A good name can sell anything. Book writers discovered that centuries ago and the secret was revealed to screen writers a couple of decades ago. Now, videogame developers are testing this fine waters a d naming their creations with superb titles like "What Remains of Edith Filch" or "We happy few". Now those are titles!

I like your avatar OP.