• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Trolling / 'Valve doesn't make games' rhetoric
At this stage Valve are an online retailer that used to make video games. Until they ship something new this decade that's my opinion of them

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
shit

if Valve canned this game I'm going to have an incredibly sore ass

I''m talking 100% rear pain

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Valve is evolving. Instead of buying up promising teams and letting them release one game before killing their creativity, they're just breaking them down into cogs in the Valve machine immediately now.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Valve probably recruited them so they could convince to stop making it

But seriously, I would love to see some more of it. Firewatch ruled!

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it wasn't coming along, so they cancelled it and are doing something else. Seems like the kind of thing they'd have the luxury of doing, being a part of Valve, and part of the reason they agreed to the deal in the first place.

Not being forced to come up with damage control for the whole situation is only bad for us, not to the people who only did it because they had to, not because they enjoyed doing PR.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
It's getting really hard to defend Valve, but maybe ill give them the benefit of the doubt for the 100th time & say the team at Campo Santo wanted to work on something else, but do Valve still deserve that benefit? i dunno.

Last edited:

Deleted member 60295

Banned
Sep 28, 2019
Interesting to hear. I'll keep that in mind. Do you have receipts about there being a disinformation campaign to hurt his reputation (sounds a little far fetched...)

regardless, there's the classic outsider trying way too hard to peek in a fairly hard to penetrate organization vibe to him that's hard to ignore.

He's posted about it before elsewhere on the web. I can't remember where to find the quotes, but he has vocally admitted that he's been conned on several occasions, and is trying to avoid any further screw-ups. Also, it's not that far-fetched if you've been following him long enough and know how much some people despise him to this day.

Edit: Fuck. I just realized the posts likely don't even exist anymore. See, I believe they were made on the facepunch forums. The ones owned by the creator of Garry's mod, which were also filled with Valve fanboys. (That's why Tyler made an account their in the first place). And, well... Garry completely shut down and deleted the forums earlier this year.

Last edited:

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
History repeats itself for the tenth time. I should've listened to the people who were disappointed by the acquisition news back then.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe those employees who changed their bio are not working on it anymore and working on others things from Valve while CS as a whole is still working on the game?

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Heads down on HLVR - which is extremely close to shipping. So not working on In the Valley of Gods for quite some time now.

Also:

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I mean they just called artifact a free to play game. People tend to be proud of their ignorance here for some reason and really like to flaunt it.
Valve threads on here are insufferable. Guarantee you they've never played these games and come in with their hot takes too :()

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
From the Wayback Machine, the icon/link to ItVotG on Campo Santo's front page was removed between September 26th and October 7th of this year (there's no captures in between). The site it linked to is still up, though.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
fpdmeHP.png

This image sums up this thread pretty well.

Lain

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd apply these Jane Ng tweet to some of the posts in this thread.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Given what I understand about Valve it seems like if interest in the project waned it'd be very easy for the original CS employees to just disperse into the company pursuing other interests. The looks we've had into Valve make it seem like you have to be a cult of personality to get enough people backing your project for it to come to fruition.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is more likely — a new episode of Idle Thumbs or In The Valley of the Gods actually getting finished?

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
If that happens to be true, I'd be pretty gutted, In The Valley Of Gods looked pretty dope and I was quite hyped for it since I saw that very first teaser.
Thanks, Valve.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Later in the video, they talk at length about the "you can work on whatever you want at Valve" trope of old. This includes a call from Remo about how everyone at Valve is "senior" in their kind of role, and when a particular project is in need of a staffer's senior talent, staffers feel compelled--and rewarded--to jump over and help out.

I'm not sure why that detail stood out to me.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Additionally, hear from Chris Remo himself:

Edit - whoops already posted

Midly interesting: Chris actually worked on Dota Underlords. So yeah I guess they're fine prioritizing other projects other than Valley of Gods. And if there really is a VR Half Life game about to ship I bet most people are working on this, to the point where it probably doesn't make sense to only be defined by Valley in your twitter profile.

FoneBone

Oct 27, 2017
i don't know if it's dead, but i suspect that given valve's structure it's back-burnered for the time being

i hope it resurfaces, but this is pretty much what i worried would happen when the acquisition was announced

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
If you watch that video with Remo in this thread, you can pretty much infer that the reason some people may have removed that from their bio is that that's not the only thing they're working on at Valve. I skipped around a bit, so maybe it's answered directly. but it seems like Remo at least has been doing other things as well, like UI on Underlords. Some of the responses in this thread, I swear. Whenever Valve is uttered the shitpost goblins come out. Even if they stopped working on it entirely, that is by all accounts largely their decision to make within the work structure at Valve.

Last edited:

Deleted member 60295

Banned
Sep 28, 2019
Welp. I was just made aware that this isn't the first time Tyler has tweeted bad news about this game:

EFJCGcN.png

Look at the date. Two and a half weeks ago. Clearly he knew something was up before anyone else did. I want to believe he's wrong, but it's not looking good.

Deleted member 60295

Banned
Sep 28, 2019
It wasn't F2P which is part of why it flopped

That's really understating the problem. There were FOUR different levels of monetization at launch. You had to pay for the game, you had to pay for card packs, you had to pay for event tickets, and finally, you could buy cards on the steam marketplace. And I kid you not, they were planning a fifth, in the form of... what else... cosmetic microtransactions.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Welp. I was just made aware that this isn't the first time Tyler has tweeted bad news about this game:

EFJCGcN.png

Look at the date. Two and a half weeks ago. Clearly he knew something was up before anyone else did. I want to believe he's wrong, but it's not looking good.

Chris Remo walks you through how this can work at Valve, in the video already posted - from yesterday - if people need to ship something else, folks move to it.
If the product being shipped is large enough and people move of that project to the shipping one, in essence, its shelved till the other product is done.

Gamers and their fear complex

Oct 27, 2017
Nah guys, the reality was just that... Artifact was not a good game, nor it had any concrete future plans. I don't know what Valve expected: Heartstone of Steam? CSGO of cards?

The game had 50k concurrent players on launch. That is a great success for all but the biggest games on the planet. People were not happy, so they left. There are plenty of cards games which opened at just a few thousand players, yet retained the community for much much longer.

Plenty of people didn't want it, plenty of people didn't like the business model, but... it was the game itself that could not satisfy the community who bought it.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Yes they released a free to play card game that now tops out at 150 or fewer players a day. Totally seeing a lot of output this decade that's worth a damn.

Jesus Christ, educate yourself. Artifact was not F2P. Maybe you're thinking of the other game they've released in the past year, for PC and mobile?

Nah guys, the reality was just that... Artifact was not a good game, nor it had any concrete future plans. I don't know what Valve expected: Heartstone of Steam? CSGO of cards?

The game had 50k concurrent players on launch. That is a great success for all but the biggest games on the planet. People were not happy, so they left. There are plenty of cards games which opened at just a few thousand players, yet retained the community for much much longer.

Plenty of people didn't want it, plenty of people didn't like the business model, but... it was the game itself that could not satisfy the community who bought it.

YMMV. I've got nearly 600 hours in Artifact, and it's a bloody fantastic game which I play mostly every day. *shrugs* All Valve have to do is reboot it with f2p to get more players in, release an expansion or two (and then have some regularity with events and/or expansions) and fix a couple of mechanics (fucking Lock is broken).

On topic, it wouldn't surprise me if a) Valley was a) nearing completion, and people shifted across to HLVR because they want that out sooner rather than later.

Last edited: