• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Yup, I have Bipolar Disorder and no matter what anyone else says, you have to convince yourself you deserve it. Hell, even when I do I can't shake the depressive episodes. Currently going through some because of the winter season.

I have a friend that has bi polar, and it took her so long to decide to get help, and all I could do is be supportive when she was in her depressive phase. She's on medication, and doing so much better now, and I'm so happy for her.

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Does Spoony even have a fanbase to weaponize anymore? All the really vitriolic and toxic ones already turned on him years ago. Then again, he does seem to have die hards that still give him money, and some of Spoony's tweets make it sound like he has tried to reach out to April since the break up.

I honestly hope she stays away. From an outsiders perspective, they're relationship seemed kind of unhealthy. And one that Spoony really took for granted.

I mean he's been doing nothing for years but having weird Twitter pity parties, his declining Patreon dollars are VERY public, it's not like it could have been a total surprise for her. She was either in denial or had just kind of checked out and rode things out until even the modicum of financial stability they had was gone.

I feel bad for Spoony in some ways, but it's also obvious that the guy was actively indulging his worst tendencies and doing as little as he could to improve his mental state, reinforcing toxic stereotypes that people have about individuals with mental illness and reveling in feeling uniquely unfixable.

Dude needs long-term cognitive behavioral therapy in a meticulously controlled environment if he's to have any chance of normalcy.

Deleted member 57578

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 7, 2019

I somehow made it through the past 2 decades without having ever heard of any of these people, or any of these things (like "angry reviewers" or off-Youtube content series). Super interesting watch from that perspective.

Have most of the other creators in that video done well for themselves? I did recognize "Angry Joe". So is the "Angry" part of his persona from this scene?

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I mean he's been doing nothing for years but having weird Twitter pity parties, his declining Patreon dollars are VERY public, it's not like it could have been a total surprise for her. She was either in denial or had just kind of checked out and rode things out until even the modicum of financial stability they had was gone.
Oh, I'm sure. We're all outside observers, so who knows what really was going on. But the timing of her breaks ng up with him and his house going into foreclosure is probably not a coincidence.
I feel bad for Spoony in some ways, but it's also obvious that the guy was actively indulging his worst tendencies and doing as little as he could to improve his mental state, reinforcing toxic stereotypes that people have about individuals with mental illness and reveling in feeling uniquely unfixable.

Dude needs long-term cognitive behavioral therapy in a meticulously controlled environment if he's to have any chance of normalcy.
He also needs a better diet and exercise, or at least getting off of Twitter, getting sober and going outside.

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Oh, I'm sure. We're all outside observers, so who knows what really was going on. But the timing of her breaks ng up with him and his house going into foreclosure is probably not a coincidence.

He also needs a better diet and exercise, or at least getting off of Twitter, getting sober and going outside.

ACAB, but what he needs is his cop brother to smack some sense into him and check him into a rehab facility of some kind.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Looking at his Twitter right now, he's posting about LotR and Batman vs Superman non-stop. I guess that is the manic side of his bipolar coming out, but it's always weird to see when his situation is so dire at the moment. Dude really has a bad Twitter addiction.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I think if the dude went back to DnD stuff, which is big right now, he'd get a lot of mojo back. If he had done counter monkey today as a podcast or something, that would get a bunch of listens. Thing is, it doesn't seem like all the motivation and everything is still there, he's just not that person anymore. People grow up and change. After so long away, I don't think he'd ever be able to just get back into things.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think if the dude went back to DnD stuff, which is big right now, he'd get a lot of mojo back. If he had done counter monkey today as a podcast or something, that would get a bunch of listens. Thing is, it doesn't seem like all the motivation and everything is still there, he's just not that person anymore. People grow up and change. After so long away, I don't think he'd ever be able to just get back into things.
I mean..... if I had what he had.... I wouldn't have given it up...

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
I legit like the guy and met him before (it was almost 7 years ago) and he was a much more up and at'em kind of guy then. But he then basically became his own worst enemy and mental illness is not as easy or simple as it seems, especially when someone is stubborn like him. I will always go back and watch Spoony videos, but good lord, he was still one of the funnier YouTube reviewers I've ever seen. When he was on and in his element, it memorable, generally for all the good reasons.

When I met him, I gave him a bottle of soju. That probably did not help.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I mean..... if I had what he had.... I wouldn't have given it up...
It can be hard to say. As a personal anecdote, I used to be big into music. I had bands, I was signed to a label, I toured, after that I had a run doing some hip hop stuff, did a couple albums, did shows. Music was always what I wanted to do, I thought it would always be my thing. Once I had kids, I stepped back from it, and now I just work pretty regular jobs I never would have thought I'd be doing. I grew up and my priorities changed, and if you asked me today to go record an album I don't even know if I'd be able to write enough material. I'm definitely not the same dude I used to be.

All I'm saying is things change, you lose passion for things and maybe you find new passions. If you're done with something, even with the threat of financial instability, if you aren't passionate for it the thought of going back to it can be a real soul-sucking thing.

The thing with Spoony is it just seems like he's lost all passion for everything. Except tweeting, I guess. The dude is totally adrift with no shore in sight, and the one lifeboat he might have, he looks at it and maybe would rather drown.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It can be hard to say. As a personal anecdote, I used to be big into music. I had bands, I was signed to a label, I toured, after that I had a run doing some hip hop stuff, did a couple albums, did shows. Music was always what I wanted to do, I thought it would always be my thing. Once I had kids, I stepped back from it, and now I just work pretty regular jobs I never would have thought I'd be doing. I grew up and my priorities changed, and if you asked me today to go record an album I don't even know if I'd be able to write enough material. I'm definitely not the same dude I used to be.

All I'm saying is things change, you lose passion for things and maybe you find new passions. If you're done with something, even with the threat of financial instability, if you aren't passionate for it the thought of going back to it can be a real soul-sucking thing.

The thing with Spoony is it just seems like he's lost all passion for everything. Except tweeting, I guess. The dude is totally adrift with no shore in sight, and the one lifeboat he might have, he looks at it and maybe would rather drown.
Honestly, he should just say he's retiring

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The world has kind of moved on from the "angry critic" style of video content, I would agree. Lindsay Ellis evolved with the times, Spoony wasn't really able to. His mental health issues just meant he fell off the train a lot earlier than everyone else.

I would say its less moved on and more that EVERYONE snarks and shits on films they don't like nowadays. Just look at the threads on this forums, or any random post on twitter/facebook microreview by normal people and even professional critics. Everyone has adopted the same cynical jokey style. 10+ years ago, these guys were unique in what they did. Now everybody does it, so what makes them special?

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
I would say its less moved on and more that EVERYONE snarks and shits on films they don't like nowadays. Just look at the threads on this forums, or any random post on twitter/facebook microreview by normal people and even professional critics. Everyone has adopted the same cynical jokey style. 10+ years ago, these guys were unique in what they did. Now everybody does it, so what makes them special?

Considering how tweets seem to be his main venue right now, not much at all.

It's frustrating to see these and be like, yeah that's pretty much the same stuff (albeit video form) that I was laughing at over a decade ago.

TK-421

Nov 30, 2017
Death Star
This series was my introduction to Spoony.. you could tell how much he loved the Ultima series. I really enjoyed his walkthrough of those classics.

Oct 27, 2017
I somehow made it through the past 2 decades without having ever heard of any of these people, or any of these things (like "angry reviewers" or off-Youtube content series). Super interesting watch from that perspective.

Have most of the other creators in that video done well for themselves? I did recognize "Angry Joe". So is the "Angry" part of his persona from this scene?

Many of those early content creators that have stayed relevant have done so through evolving with the times in some ways. They may still stick to their character schtick but it's often more downplayed; but the big things are they release regular content, have diversified some content, and that keeps old fans and brings new.

Spoony started to struggle with that a long time before he really went under. His content release was always sporadic but it got far worse with time. He always had more to offer beyond the "caustic critic" persona as well, but he seemed to fall back on that more than he needed to.

But for every creator that's still around there's probably 2 that have either ceased production altogether or have a really small but dedicated fan base.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
The sad truth is.... for many of the angry reviewers...

most of them weren't playing characters.
AVGN for instance is obviously just a wacky character, Rolfe in any non-AVGN appearance is calm and not very caustic at all. But there's no line really between Spoony and Antwiler, it's just a different name.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Watching those down the rabbit hole videos, I can't believe DSP and wingsofredemption are still doing videos or streams.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
AVGN for instance is obviously just a wacky character, Rolfe in any non-AVGN appearance is calm and not very caustic at all. But there's no line really between Spoony and Antwiler, it's just a different name.

Yep. It's a lot of how Colbert was able to find success even later in life, since he was only playing a character in his first talk show, when he played as himself in his new one, he became even more popular.

Oct 26, 2017
I used to be a big fan of Spoony back when he was at his peak, and I still do enjoy a lot of his old content. Stuff like the Pumpkinhead review, the Nightmare review and the Ultima retrospectives are great content.

That said, his fall from grace breaks my heart. Whatever demons he has, he can't seem to escape them. While other folks like Darksydephil are still keepin' on, Spoony just fell off. I hope he gets back on his feet, even if he never makes another video again.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I was a big fan of his videos back in my college years (around 12 or 13 years ago now, I think). Watched all of his videos as they came out (even enjoyed his movie rants with his brother and friends). He used to review some really weird shit that I enjoyed a lot.

It's tragic seeing his story unfold like this. I hope he gets the help he needs. He'll still probably go down as my favourite video content creator on YouTube of all time (since he was the first and frankly the best of that era). His Final Fantasy 8 review and Pumpkinhead reviews are still amazing and his Terror Trax audio tapes ones were so underrated.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
My favorite vids of his in retrospect were the weird off-shoots, I still vividly remember laughing a lot at the weird werewolf roleplay tapes

In hindsight though I'm glad I fell off his brand of content, it was a lot of negativity towards something that I grew up loving. It kinda made me self-loath at a certain point. I can't imagine feeling pressured to feel that sort of negativity towards media for the sake of satisfying an audience.

I hope he is able to find another career path or reinvent himself, he definitely has the comedic chops to do much more than rant about RPGs

Pelao

Banned
Jan 7, 2020
Chile
I have fond memories of the good old days of the TGWTG website and the content creators like Spoony (My favorite was Suede, though), a shame what happened to him. I still try to watch what some of the old crew still produces, and I check the NC videos every once in a while.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
Just watched the first 2 episodes of his Ultima review (I don't recall ever watching that one so I wanted to see how his video have aged where I have no nostalgia attached too like the Final Fantasy reviews). He is really good with critique, commentary, and humor directly related to the games but he has some skits that go on way too long. He had a skit about Gandalf having a gun in LOTR that easily could of been 5 seconds but it instead was a long minute and a half. It is no wonder there are so many bootleg videos of his reviews that cut out all the skits.