• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
??
Its an awesome game still being enjoyed
The hardcore BL fanbase got EXACTLY the game they wanted and now they're mostly content.
Hype comes and goes.
Plus MW came out

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Destiny happened and i stopped playing. It was fun while it lasted.
heard they nerfed my character into the ground (why idk it's not a pvp game) and that also made me not bother going.
If they make a new tiny tina's dungeons and dragons thing i would come back.

Grigorig

Oct 30, 2017
At some point I'm sure there will be a game that tips me over the edge and makes me get EGS - but it sure ain't BL3.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a non-exclusive, unremarkable but not mediocre game that hasn't had really any controversy. Not a whole lot to say about it.

Yup it seems like like if it's not an exclusive game then enthusiast forums don't care post launch as they can't be used in list wars lol.

Plenty of people bought and enjoyed BL3. Some are still playing, others moved on to new games. No mystery at all.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't BL3 also have Ultra and True Vault Hunter modes? These are the modes that people still play today in BL2. You basically finish the campaign which is somewhat the easy-mode tutorial and then you start grinding on the real difficulty levels.

What do you mean? It sold more in its first week on EGS than BL2 did in its first week on Steam.
You might want to re-read that PR statement.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Nothings wrong.

I guess we'll see if its still charting on NPD charts next month. Because that's the only other thing I can think of that we can do by.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
You might want to re-read that PR statement.
Their post specifically referred to Steam. I could've pointed out how BL3 is also 2K's fastest selling game of all time, or how it outsold Borderlands 2 dramatically across all platforms in the launch week, but I wanted to specifically point out this moronic non-argument that, because a game isn't out on Steam, it's not performing well.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
My overall impression is that it's exactly what people wanted without too much in the way of controversial decisions, so there's not a ton more to discuss at great length.

My own opinion on the game is that it made just enough meaningful tweaks to the gameplay to make up for the lack of improvement on the game's humor and storytelling. The humor and storytelling isn't any better or worse than previous Borderlands games, IMO (except when perhaps compared to Tales from the Borderlands) -- it's just exactly what I feel like people should expect based on the series past. That said, movement feels more fluid and guns tend to feel both varied and nearly universally effective in meaningful ways over Borderlands 2 and Pre-Sequel, so all-in-all I'm quite pleased with it, but it didn't necessarily do anything that vastly surpass my base expectations.

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.
The girlfriend and I are getting fantastic mileage out of it on our weekends, which is really the only time we can play because of work schedules. We think it's great. The shotguns in particular feel wonderful. Looking forward to starting over with different characters after we clean up with our first runs.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. People have using it in discussion for Avengers and the future of superhero games plus for talk of Spider-Man 2.
Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen people discussing any of those things on twitter.

I think that, in general, if you aren't seeing something discussed on twitter, it says more about who you follow than it does 'the state of the world.' I'm sure there's some active niche of twitter users who are still talking about Borderlands on a daily basis, same as people are apparently still talking about Avengers and superhero games for some reason.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
BL2 came out at a different time. while i'm sure 3 is doing fine and the series will continue to be a cash cow i don't think any of them will ever catch on like that again.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Their post specifically referred to Steam. I could've pointed out how BL3 is also 2K's fastest selling game of all time, or how it outsold Borderlands 2 dramatically across all platforms in the launch week, but I wanted to specifically point out this moronic non-argument that, because a game isn't out on Steam, it's not performing well.
We had a thread about their PR statement and why / how it was incredibly vague. Like "BL3 is also 2K's fastest selling game of all time" is not true. It is 2K's fastest selling *PC title *within-a-period-of-5-days (*also not the most overall sold PC game of 2K). And they never cleared up if they counted the EGS guaranteed-sales as a sale to a customer. It seems like they did that.

There are many exceptions and very specific wordings within that statement but that's what PR is for.

Last edited:

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
gearbox so far has spent more time nerfing fun stuff than actually fixing the performance or adding stuff to do in the endgame lol

this ^. i was enjoying my playtime - playing as a siren, reached max lvl cap and was working on finishing true vault hunter mode, and then all of sudden - on the last mission saying to follow a certain explorer - i could not get past the 'follow this dude' mission objective. no confirmation or movement on NPC's part - he just stood there. googled the problem, discovered that many, many players have had this same issue that literally impedes finishing the game, and gearbox has not done anything to fix it. i thought eff this - on top of all the other performance issues this game has (and no cutscene skip?!?! really?!?! reallllyyyy?!?!). but, hey, at least gearbox is using their time to weapon balance /s

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
We had a thread about their PR statement and why / how it was incredibly vague. Like "BL3 is also 2K's fastest selling game of all time" is not true. It is 2K's fastest selling *PC title *within-a-period-of-5-days (*also not the most overall sold PC game of 2K). And they never cleared up if they counted the EGS guaranteed-sales as a sale to a customer. It seems like they did that.

There are many exceptions and very specific wordings within that statement but that's what PR is for.
And people fall for it. Mission accomplished.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
People don't want to admit that it's a disappointment compared to Borderlands 2.

Borderlands 3 is painfully okay as a Borderlands game, everyone who said they liked it, liked it. That's about as good as it goes.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still playing it. What do you want to be said? It has 4 major DLCs and lots of smaller free content planned over the next year so it will be a mainstay.

VAPORxDYNE

Oct 27, 2017
BL3 has been a fucking blowup in my experience. The developers are so set on nerfing the hell out of anything that is strong. It's a PvE game, just add mayhem 4-10 or something. They keep talking about having a diversity of possible builds while simultaneously nerfing anything that's strong. Then they nerf the next strongest thing after that. Everything is a bug or a mistake with them and they use that as an excuse to nerf your stuff. Like saying ''oh, your build wasn't supposed to work in the first place, so we're not gonna feel bad about gutting it''. A few days ago they shadow nerfed Moze by nerfing some grenades that synergized extremely well with her and they nerfed all the guns that worked well with her a patch ago. Apparently the synergy is too strong, yet they mention adding a Mayhem 4 difficulty for people with strong synergies in their items/skill tree. The fact that they think buffing Mozes' iron bear with 50% more HEALTH does anything tells me that they don't even play their own game on Mayhem 3. Actually, in their streams i think they play M1 or M2. The bear does no damage and doesn't survive past literally 1 second.

One of the guys in a recent dev stream said something along the lines of ''nerfing the best items allows players to re-explore builds with new items they may have looked over'', which is completely ridiculous considering there is not enough storage to keep everything you find. So what happened? Those legendaries you found which were amazing (Flakker) are fucking trash (comparatively) and all the things you left on the floor got buffed. So....go out there and grind through some of the most boring endgame in a borderlands game EVER. Yep, go kill Graveward (only boss without an immunity phase) for dozens of hours again. Slaughtershaft used to be great to farm while not being to monotonous, but after they nerfed the drop-rate on legendaries you don't see nearly as many in the shaft.

Then you hope the 40 hours you spends getting a new build going doesn't end in the devs taking it away. I played it with 2 other friends and it was fun, but I've realized that continuing to play it is a waste of time.

However, the memes about how the devs nerf everything are pretty great. Go check out the BL3 subreddit after a patch if you want to have a laugh.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I expected to hear that it's GOTY worthy and one of the best games in years, etc after all the hype and the long wait.
It's Borderlands 3. It's very fun. Beyond that, eh
The story sucks ass but it's plenty good, as they made the gunplay better than ever. Blands was never "GotY level" as it focused on shit that isn't typically lauded as GotY. The story is fucking horrible, but outside of that, gearbox made an excellent game that many people enjoyed, but at the end of the day it's a short term co-op RPG that hasn't had its first DLC release. What are people supposed to discuss? The latest hotfix that fucks all of the legendaries that people like?

OP
OP

Deleted member 59955

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 14, 2019
It's Borderlands 3. It's very fun. Beyond that, eh
The story sucks ass but it's plenty good, as they made the gunplay better than ever. Blands was never "GotY level" as it focused on shit that isn't typically lauded as GotY. The story is fucking horrible, but outside of that, gearbox made an excellent game that many people enjoyed, but at the end of the day it's a short term co-op RPG that hasn't had its first DLC release. What are people supposed to discuss? The latest hotfix that fucks all of the legendaries that people like?

Usually people discuss the lore, stories, characters, what they like and dislike, what's bad and good, what should be in the next game and what not. People also usually compare a new game to the other games and what's the best game and their favorite but I don't even see people do that with the BL games. The villains of Bl3 haven't even been talked about much beyond "they're terrible".

Why isn't there any indepth discussion with this game? Is it really shallow or something? Is the story that bad? I don't get it.

Last edited:

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
It's fun lol people talk about it, you talk about it. I like the new event thing.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Doesn't help that the calypso twins suck and the only real end game in borderlands is replaying the campaign and

A)i am not replaying the missions on Jakob's Mansion, beautiful destination but the missions are a SLOG

B) The Calypso twins are super annoying and i never want to hear their voice again. Compared to Handsome Jack they are terrible and that's not even hyperbole they really are.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I played it and completed it with friends over a course of a month and we all had a blast. We surely will get back to it when content DLC drops but not every game has to retain a playerbase for months and months on end like a full GaaS type game. I'm actually glad I could finish it, enjoyed it and can come back for more later.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm going to guess that once you beat the game, there is nothing much to discuss. You either start THVM(New game+) to replay the campaign, play another character to try new skills or run around killing bosses or doing arenas for loot. People aren't going to speculate for weeks/months about what will happen after the main campaign's story.

There isn't much to discuss now other than "I got this awesome gun!", "I need more bank space dammit whycantiholdalltheselegendaries.jpg" or "why did they nerf something in that hotfix/patch".
At least there will be something new to talk about when they release events or DLCs.

Last edited:

2b_miner

Mar 7, 2019
I love the game, too bad the social part of it is abysmal, constant DC super bad framerates when i hop onto someone else's game...i just got a ghost call pretty awesome grenade...

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Usually people discuss the lore, stories, characters, what they like and dislike, what's bad and good, what should be in the next game and what not. People also usually compare a new game to the other games and what's the best game and their favorite but I don't even see people do that with the BL games. The villains of Bl3 haven't even been talked about much beyond "they're terrible".

Why isn't there any indepth discussion with this game? Is it really shallow or something? Is the story that bad? I don't get it.

There's a borderlands 3 OT, head on over there to discuss the game.

Not every topic (ex.: Stadia, Game Pass) needs a new topic twice a day.

This is a normal trajectory for a released game and nothing to be concerned about.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still playing and enjoying the game, I think i'm maybe 1/2 way thru the game? All my friends have finished the game and stopped playing.

I think the big difference between BL1/2 and BL3 is that back then there were a lot more reasons to grind in these kind of games and play to get better loot. Nowadays though if you are gonna grind (and even that is up in the air) its better to do it in R6, Fortnite, MOBAs, Call of Duty, Battlefield, APEX, MMOs, Destiny 2, etc as it feels more "rewarding" getting stuff out of those to keep around forever. I don't think essentially single player (co-op) game can really do a loot grind loop anymore that keeps many people playing, its only multiplayer, massive lobby, persistent world games that can do that.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA

Who gives a shit about the lore in borderlands? I'm there to shoot stuff and grab loot. The story is basic and the comedy is lame at best.

BL3 was fine. I shot stuff and grabbed loot and shot more stuff. I beat it. I might play it again down the road.

adumb

Banned
Aug 17, 2019
Era is determined to build this bizarre narrative around Borderlands 3, and it's really sad. Before, during, and now after release there are persistent attempts to drag this critically and commercially successful game. You're seeing things that aren't there. It did fine. People liked it. People are still playing it.

Are people here disappointed that it isn't GaaS shit like The Division?

Last edited:

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Era is determined to build this bizarre narrative around Borderlands 3, and it's really sad. Before, during, and now after release there are persistent attempts to drag this critically and commercially successful game. You're seeing things that aren't there. It did fine. People liked it. People are still playing it.

Are people here disappointed that it isn't GaaS shit like The Division?
Yeah, I'm not sure what the OP was looking for. Even games that had severe issues still sold well, Anthem.

So again, what are we measuring this by OP? Threads, posts, sales, etc? Seems like the OP wants multiple threads about it being GotY, I don't know.

What's wild about your last sentence, Forbes did an article about how Borderlands is...becoming GaaS...

Ppl don't realize Borderlands has always been GaaS, just not an always online one.

And one of the few that did, does MTX good. They had loot chests, but was only for in game currency. Those purple blocks, Eridium.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I was waiting for it to drop on Steam but now, after giving Destiny a second go on Steam, Im looking to invest money in that rather than get BL3. I feel like Destiny embraces its loot run style of gameplay better than BL3 which seems it still cannot stop wasting the player's time with regards to repeat runs and story content.

I know BL3 has the arena but after having played it I think I vastly prefer Destiny's strikes. Slightly more bespoke runs are way better than just a slaughter fest that get boring after a while.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I mostly hear good things about it, people enjoying it a lot.

It's a looter shooter, what's there to talk about?

demi

Oct 27, 2017
- Bought it on launch, played the shit out of it, enjoyed it
- Did some brief endgame grinding while enjoying my FLAK crit build
- Stopped because there was no end boss like Crawmerax
- Recent patch notes basically nerfed all the fun guns and my FLAK crit build to the ground
- They still seem to be doing more nerfs
- Waiting for DLC news before jumping back in

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Personally, I played a few hours and couldn't get into it, let it sit for a few weeks.

Then tried to get back into it with a different character and still couldn't.

I found it boring and perhaps even more unfunny than 2 (which I had a good time despite the awful writing)

And then I realized the reason I hadn't been asking for Borderlands 3 all these years is because I never really wanted Borderlands 3 and I will trade it in for money toward Luigi's Mansion because I'm done with it.