• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if they thought they just wouldn't be doing Madden anymore in 11 years when "Madden 14" came out. That would be strange, considering how much money they make off the series.

I don't imagine anyone will care, and I doubt it would cause any real confusion when talking about games with others.

Maybe they just call it "Madden '25" with a giant apostrophe on the box.
9Mlv2Sc.png

Man. I need a hobby. Another hobby...
What about Madden 64?
"Oh I'm sure we won't have to worry about that when the time comes" ~40 years from now: "Hey boss, we might have a problem here."

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
We joked about this back in 2014, but it was such a long way off we didn't think about it really. It'll be fine. Databases and websites will append a UUID to it, like they do with everything else, or add a -2 to the end of the URL.

By then, they might even put the full "2025" back on it to differentiate internally. Remember, from ~Madden '93 to Madden 99, they used just the two numbers at the end. Then from Madden 2000 to Madden 2005 they used all four numbers. Then with '06 they re-introduced just 2 numbers, and that's carried consistently through the decade.

I think they won't care and nobody will be confused by it. Naming it Madden '25 was a mistake anyway. They did it primarily because of the console transition which pushed Madden's release date back on new consoles, and so rather than confusingly release Madden '14 twice, once in august 2013 and Once very close to 2014 itself, they punted on the name... I think '25 confused more people in the end, and they likely won't try to out-think themselves again.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
From the company that brought you TWO games called Need for Speed Most Wanted on the SAME PLATFORM, I'm fully expecting simply "Madden 25"

Wow, I never realized. I mean, I knew they'd re-used the name, but it never hit me that both were on the Xbox 360 until I looked it up just now, because the first one was on the PS2 era platforms.

OP
OP
EdReedFan20

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I never realized. I mean, I knew they'd re-used the name, but it never hit me that both were on the Xbox 360 until I looked it up just now, because the first one was on the PS2 era platforms.
They put "A Criterion Game" under the title. I guess that was done to avoid confusion.

It'll be called Madden 25, just like Star Wars Battlefront II or Call of Duty Modern Warfare.
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare was a reboot of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. The confusing part is Call of Duty 4's remaster is just called Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered. So, the remaster of the original is the game that shares the name with the reboot!