• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
We might get SMTV in 2023 and see a Persona 6 teaser in 2024, after another spinoff. Persona 6, the actual game though, I don't see that coming until like 2028, at least in the west.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Persona 5 Scramble's localization not being announced yet makes some sense - they presumably want to get Royal out of the way first.

The rest though, yeah, I figure they're still a little too new to HD development

My question is why they don't fill the void with ports and remasters - they ported up Persona 4 Dancing to the PS4 purely as a purchase bonus, they could make so much money remastering Golden

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
The only one I care about in that bunch is 13 Sentinels. Vanillaware deserves to have their work in front of as many people as possible.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Can someone explain to me this fantasy title they are working on? I've heard its by the longtime Persona director. Does this mean that the eventually P6 will have a different director?
Correct. A lot of Persona leads are focused on the fantasy game.
They did that after being sure Persona was in good hands mind you.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There is no ground to be worried about anything. Lack of news means exactly that: there is nothing to say.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
They said we're going to get SMTV news this year.

The next Etrian Odyssey game is probably still a ways off. They have to make bigger changes both in terms of game design and asset creation so it's probably going to take longer than previous gaps between EO games.

13 Sentinels localization is something I'm still really waiting for. Atlus pls.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Persona 5 Scramble's localization not being announced yet makes some sense - they presumably want to get Royal out of the way first.

The rest though, yeah, I figure they're still a little too new to HD development

My question is why they don't fill the void with ports and remasters - they ported up Persona 4 Dancing to the PS4 purely as a purchase bonus, they could make so much money remastering Golden
Every Persona game had a remake/remaster between the release of Persona 4 and Persona 5. There've been so many ports and remasters when it comes to Atlus all the time. The same people who make the new games are the ones who make the ports and remasters. I'd rather them focus on new games than on constantly renewing the old.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
SMT V development started in late 2017 iirc. I expect to see a trailer this year for a Q1 2021 release in Japan.

Etrian Odyssey devs are probably grappling with HD development, probably won't put out a Switch game until near the end of the Switch's life.

I'm not convinced Project Re:Fantasy will ever release. It's clearly in development hell.

Atlus seems to prefer to market one game at a time. I'm not worried about a P5S localization at all, it's a matter of when not if. Hopefully it's around fall 2020.
How well did 13 Sentinels do? Did it bomb so hard they might not bring it over?

The silence is unusual.
13 Sentinels had surprising legs

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
No P5: Scramble localization

this is inevitable, and not really something worth worrying over. Probably gets announced sometime after P5R releases. As for P6 not being teased, well P5R hasn't even been in Japan for a year yet. Games take time to make and if anything Atlus's problem seems to be announcing things too early. I'd rather P6 get announced when it's at least 9-12 months out from release.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Every Persona game had a remake/remaster between the release of Persona 4 and Persona 5. There've been so many ports and remasters when it comes to Atlus all the time. The same people who make the new games are the ones who make the ports and remasters. I'd rather them focus on new games than on constantly renewing the old.

Oh I agree, but I don't see why they can't outsource it or make it a simpler process, like pretty much every other developer/publisher. Just seems real odd.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I agree, but I don't see why they can't outsource it or make it a simpler process, like pretty much every other developer/publisher. Just seems real odd.
Catherine Classic was an interesting case. Maybe the Switch port of Catherine will be further indication of more projects in that vein.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
We already know that P5 Scramble is gonna be localized under the name Persona 5 Strikers, with said localized name even being mentioned in Nintendo's financial briefing. We'll likely hear more about it after P5 Royal comes out in the West.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
If we are getting the Catherine Switch port in the next direct and then Persona 5 Strikers later this year I can totally see them announce a P5 Royal port (Yes, I won't give up, I just don't want to buy P5 again on PS4).
Re:Fantasy and Etrian Odyssey probably still take some time, judging by the struggeles Atlus had with the original Persona 5.

We just got Catherine last year and probably on on Switch this year, so Ican ssee more ports being announced this year.

I really want 13 Sentinels though, veen if it doesn't have Mass appeal, that game looks great.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I figure Persona 6 is five years away or so at this point.

SMT V is the one that stumps me. At this point, I figure we're probably a year and a half away from a Western release.

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's kinda off topic and I sorry if its port begging.

But I really don't understand Atlus wanting SMT be switch exclusive and P5 being PlayStation.

Their parent company (Sega) literally have partners studios that focus on porting their games. So outsourcing it wouldnt take any workforce of Atlus team.

@OP I agree that they are quiet... But it isn't so strange if you follow Atlus for some time, they.... Operates in their own time

I got a warning for Port begging that its really laughable. I mean I don't even have a switch to begin with, it's just mind boggling for the system not to have that title. It basically ticks every boxes : Smash already got Joker, Switch already got P5 scramble and is a great portable system for JRPG.

enigmatic_alex44

GAGA IS A FLOP
Oct 25, 2017
You tried it.
It's really a shame some of their best games; Digital Devil Saga 1 + 2; are stuck on the PS2.

Bump up the res, add widescreen, and toss 'em in a collection on current platforms.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why are you expecting P6 already? I don't expect to see that until RE:Fantasy releases, and even that seems to be at least 4 years away.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
SMTV taking so long is not at all surprising. Both 3DS titles took ~3-4 years to develop. This is a new system, new engine, first HD entry, first time back on a home console in almost 20 years. It's only just be 3 years since it was announced and started development. Though real full production didn't start till spring '18. Given that history and the circumstances around this new entry even in the best of cases a Fall 2020 release is probably quite optimistic.

Nor is the lack of news around it that strange. That is standard Atlus behavior. They announce stuff way in advance, then go largely radio silent. At least here it's not a P5 situation where they give a date and then push it back a bunch of times.

Ghifari77

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Yeah, they're too slow. Atlus needs to learn from Naughty Dog how to do a crunch so they can release their game faster.

Can someone explain to me this fantasy title they are working on? I've heard its by the longtime Persona director. Does this mean that the eventually P6 will have a different director?
Most likely yes

============

P5S are waiting for P5R release

P6 are already tease in development since long time ago in interview

SMTV maybe in the (rumoured to be next week) next direct. If not then well.... RIP
I'm sure atlus just decide to reveal cause Nintendo ask them if they have a game for Switch. They clearly didn't even start the development when they announce it.

Next EO maybe they still haven't figure out what they want to do without dual screen and stylus. Or maybe they decide to make it a bigger and more ambitious game so it's still in development.

Re Fantasy, i didn't counted it as "announced game". They make the trailer for recruitment. All of the thing we see is just to promote their new studios. I just pretend it just a recruitment video and never exist... yet. Until they release the REAL reveal trailer. Heck, it could be very different from the initial concept art lol.

13 sentinels.... Idk. Maybe they don't expect much from it and just shove it to the bottom priority. It'll eventually release like EO5, but when? Who knows....

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
atlus was pushing 13 sentinels at e3 2017. i doubt there's a future with them dropping it for the west. it's just that it takes a long time to do text-heavy games and they've been running yakuzas and personas back-to-back.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
SMT V is good - no need to worry.
The game getting a bigger budget and more dev time is very good news, yet people take this as a sign for doomsday scenario.

Same for Bayo 3 - the devs know that they have a shot of reaching the next level in terms of popularity and commercial success on Switch.

OP
OP
Sumio Mondo

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Why are you expecting P6 already? I don't expect to see that until RE:Fantasy releases, and even that seems to be at least 4 years away.

I'm not expecting P6 "already". P5 was 2016. It's now 2020. RE Fantasy is being done by Hashino's new studio, not P-Studio (who are making Persona games and will make P6, Hashino is done with Persona series). You forgotten P5's marketing "already"? (Announced and took forever to release).

It's also expected for P6 that they will use P5's engine so it shouldn't take as long.

this dude asking for a persona 6 tease 😭

Yes? That's what Atlus normally do at the end of the generation (like, you know...P4 and P5)? 3 and a half years after the last game isn't out of the ordinary for Atlus.

SMTV taking so long is not at all surprising. Both 3DS titles took ~3-4 years to develop. This is a new system, new engine, first HD entry, first time back on a home console in almost 20 years. It's only just be 3 years since it was announced and started development. Though real full production didn't start till spring '18. Given that history and the circumstances around this new entry even in the best of cases a Fall 2020 release is probably quite optimistic.

Nor is the lack of news around it that strange. That is standard Atlus behavior. They announce stuff way in advance, then go largely radio silent. At least here it's not a P5 situation where they give a date and then push it back a bunch of times.

No, it's not. SMT4 was announced May 2012 and then released in Japan a year later (May 2013). Apocalypse was announced October 2015 and was released in Japan Feb 2016. Some history revision going on in here man.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
No, it's not. SMT4 was announced May 2012 and then released in Japan a year later (May 2013). Apocalypse was announced October 2015 and was released in Japan Feb 2016. Some history revision going on in here man.
V was announced way early compared to IV and IVA, yes, but that doesn't change the fact that development times on IV and IVA were still very long as well. We knew from the start with V that they had barely even started development when it was announced, and that was further evident when they stated full production only started in Feb '18, so it's no surprise at all it's not out yet, nor has there been any real info released on it.

OP
OP
Sumio Mondo

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
atlus was pushing 13 sentinels at e3 2017. i doubt there's a future with them dropping it for the west. it's just that it takes a long time to do text-heavy games and they've been running yakuzas and personas back-to-back.

I get that they'll be overloaded with games now they're the main team who do all of SEGA Japan's localizations too, I just wonder when these kind of announcements that were probably lined up for E3 2020 will happen now instead. Not hating on Atlus USA (or meaning for it to come across that way, I love their work on Yakuza and all the Atlus stuff).

V was announced way early compared to IV and IVA, yes, but that doesn't change the fact that development times on IV and IVA were still very long as well. We knew from the start with V that they had barely even started development when it was announced, and that was further evident when they stated full production only started in Feb '18, so it's no surprise at all it's not out yet, nor has there been any real info released on it.

I know the development of those games took time but they were smart enough to not reveal those games until closer to finishing them. I think Atlus announcing SMT5 so early in dev was stupid (and hope they don't do that again) but alas. Just that they said they'd give an update like twice on SMT5 now in the past and not hearing anything since just suggests weird issues. Game dev is hard and takes time.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not expecting P6 "already". P5 was 2016. It's now 2020. RE Fantasy is being done by Hashino's new studio, not P-Studio (who are making Persona games and will make P6, Hashino is done with Persona series). You forgotten P5's marketing "already"? (Announced and took forever to release).

It's also expected for P6 that they will use P5's engine so it shouldn't take as long.
I just amazed you have this much faith in Atlus to adhere to a timely schedule. It was 8 years between P4 and P5, and we got rereleases and spinoffs in that gap. Considering Royal and Scramble just released, and Atlus seems to still want to make P5 Arena, I'm still expecting P6 is at least 4 years off.

Yeah, it shouldn't take P6 long since an engine for it already exists, but SMTV is also on a well known engine, yet has been a no show for 3 years now. I'm not expecting P6 any time soon due to Atlus not being that big of a company, yet already having 2 announced games that have been no shows ever since their announcements.

As someone said, P6 is probably being developed or in the very early planning stages, but I expect more spinoffs for a few more years before we even get an announcement. I would love to be wrong about this though.

Buzzth

Jan 15, 2018
Japan
It's kind of sad when I think about it. Atlus really benefited from Nintendo's introduction of touch screen, IR sensor, and motion controls in the previous gen. Games like Trauma Center/Team, Etrian Odyssey, and the slew of rpgs that took advantage of those technologies just won't be the same on modern traditional consoles.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Welcome to Atlus. They've always been slow

No they haven't. In the PS2 days they released SMT Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga, Digital Devil Saga 2, Persona 3, and Persona 4 on a basically yearly basis. Then on the DS they released Devil Survivor 1, Strange Journey, Radiant Historia, and Devil Survivor 2 one after another. This is completely ignoring stuff like Trauma Center, Etrian Odyssey, Catherine, Devil Summoner, etc.

OP
OP
Sumio Mondo

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Why? 13 Sentinels turned out to be a success for them and they already soft announced their next game. Vanillaware's partnership with Sega (through Atlus) isn't over anytime soon.

It was a success? I'm so happy for them! Never followed how it worked out but happy to hear that.

I just amazed you have this much faith in Atlus to adhere to a timely schedule. It was 8 years between P4 and P5, and we got rereleases and spinoffs in that gap. Considering Royal and Scramble just released, and Atlus seems to still want to make P5 Arena, I'm still expecting P6 is at least 4 years off.

Yeah, it shouldn't take P6 long since an engine for it already exists, but SMTV is also on a well known engine, yet has been a no show for 3 years now. I'm not expecting P6 any time soon due to Atlus not being that big of a company, yet already having 2 announced games that have been no shows ever since their announcements.

As someone said, P6 is probably being developed or in the very early planning stages, but I expect more spinoffs for a few more years before we even get an announcement. I would love to be wrong about this though.

I hear ya. I think the difference between P6 and SMT5 for me is that the Persona team are used to HD development (See: P5 and Catherine) whereas the SMT dev team just aren't (they just made 3DS games up until now and UE4 is new to them) and having the P5 engine in place they could just use a lot of the same assets and most people wouldn't bat an eyelid (like for P3 and P4), so I guess I expect more efficiency from P-Studio than the SMT team.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Doesn't it always take a while to make the HD jump for a franchise? Even if they have some experiencie and could reuse assets from persona 5, I understand that they could be taking their time. I won't be expecting releases to be as close together as during the DS and 3DS days.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
so I guess I expect more efficiency from P-Studio than the SMT team.
Something people keep overlooking is the importance of the fact that Studio Zero was created and that most of the modern Persona Team leads moved there. Creatively, P6 would take a lot more time than a usual sequel, with the team needing to figure out how to keep things fresh and exciting, in addition to completely new leads. Studio head Hiraoka has talked about how they needed more staff to make a P6 that was even bigger than P5, which was part of the hiring push they've been making since December 2016.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Didn't they released like some dancing games, a Persona expansion of sorts and action Persona ?

I mean for how development cycle goes this gen it isn't that bad.