• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Shin Megami Tensei 5 (in development hell probably, Atlus dev takes time I'm sure but the devs said they'd give an update "Winter" and nothing since)
New console Etrian Odyssey (No mention of this since the teases two years ago? Switch?)
Persona 6 (still not even teased yet?)
Project Re: Fantasy (silence for a long time now aside from Soejima saying development is going well last year)
No 13 Sentinels localization
No P5: Scramble localization
SMT ports (Nocturne in particular) tease which never came to fruition

Seems like everything is quiet at Atlus at the moment. All we have confirmed in the West is P5: Royal and that's all. What's going on?
Not moaning just curious more than anything else. And kinda hoping this will cause a reaction from them. :P

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Development pipeline is inspired by viscous product resulting from refining sugarcane or sugar beets into sugar.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
They probably are waiting for P5R to announce anything scramble related in the West.

I was hoping to see SMTV in a Nintendo Direct but that has been MIA.

No clue about 13 Sentinals.

Persona 6 is probably in very early dev.

ReFantasy who knows.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Atlus has always been slow and even their biggest titles have gaps for localization.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
The real problem I see here is that they tell us what they are working on too soon.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Waiting for their games to release in Japan before allowing anyone to start localizing them.
Almost completely ignoring the PC as a platform.
Blocking streamers from playing their games even though its free marketing.

Same as usual I assume.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
Atlus still takes some time with localisation, but with each game they're releasing them a little bit faster. I wouldn't be surprised if Scramble localisation will be released this Fall or Winter. SMT V will probably be at one of Nintedo Directs.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Probably waiting for the fiscal year to end and let P5 The Royal and Scramble get as much of their sales without players being distracted by their own announcements.

MLH

Oct 26, 2017
I was just thinking about the next Etrian Odyssey - I'm starving for a new one. They were quick to put these out on the 3DS - but who knows what's in store for the next one. Obviously have to build from the ground up, new engine, new assets. All takes time.
SMTV was announced WAY before it started development (similar to Persona 5 and TMS#FE). No reason to think there's anything wrong, they'll be ready when they're ready.

Stefarno

I ... survived Sedona
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't Atlus USA basically also the Sega localisation team? Because they've probably been working on all the Yakuza games that have released recently and things like Sakura Wars, etc.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
They rival Square in release speed.

It's so funny how people are saying that they can't wait for all the SMT spin-offs Atlus is going to make once they're done modeling all of the demons for SMTV. Atlus isn't about to make SHIT other than Persona after SMTV, and Persona isn't coming out until at least 5+ years from now.

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
Haven't they announced they are building an in-house engine and are moving some high profile games currently in development to that engine? Iirc, that must take some time.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think any of those are indicators of any issues with the company and it's more a case of them having other games they're working on or teasing/announcing things too early.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
It'd be nice to see them return to a 3DS level of releases but needing to scale up to HD takes time. I imagine we'll hear more about SMTV and maybe the new Etrian Odyssey soon. They're getting to a point where most of their announced projects should be ready to show off unless things went real bad development wise.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't explain why SMTV takes so long. They're using UE for it.
They announced it before starting development and it'll be a big game, so /shrug.

We had a new EO game last year (PQ2) and they'll probably reveal the console entry sometime this year.
It's the usual with Atlus.

They seem to be able to promote only one title at a time for some reason (I think that's dumb in terms of marketing, and shows they're not confident in their releases), but that's nothing new.
The fact that it's taking longer is that they're obviously still not really used to HD development (compare that with their output on PS2 and 3DS).
Nocturne came out in 2003 (over 3 years after PS2 launch) and SMT IV in 2013 (over 2 years after 3DS launch). It's not really that unusual for them to be slow to a console and then stay there forever.

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User Warned: port begging
There's actually no reason not to port P5R for Switch. But this is Altus we're talking about

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
It's the usual with Atlus.

They seem to be able to promote only one title at a time for some reason (I think that's dumb in terms of marketing, and shows they're not confident in their releases), but that's nothing new.
The fact that it's taking longer is that they're obviously still not really used to HD development (compare that with their output on PS2 and 3DS).

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
P6 is most likely only being conceptualized at this point, but don't expect an announcement until the Persona 5 well has run dry. At the moment there's like what, a dancing game and the Musou, meaning there's still plenty of milking to be done for Atlus before they even need to introduce a new set of quirky characters they can monetize.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
SMTV is probably the only thing I'd be concerned about. I don't think it's cancelled but we've heard nothing for years.

Persona 6? lol. we've got a long while yet before we think of that. they aren't done milking P5 yet.

as for Scramble I reckon we'll hear something later in the year. they have P5R out this month in the west. they aren't gonna come out and talk about P5S just yet.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
I wonder how the sales of the Etrian Odyssey saga are.

I bought the first two, then got bored and in the meanwhile lots of other chapters came out (including that bad Mystery Dungeon spinoffs).

Maybe they should diversify a bit?

Also, I really think they should go full-multiplatform.

EDITED: changed "Action-rpg" to Myster Dungeon, my bad.

Last edited:

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
There's actually no reason not to port P5R for Switch. But this is Altus we're talking about
they've never released any mainline persona games to anything other than Playstation so wouldn't expect P5R coming to Switch. you'll get Scramble but that's it. Nintendo gets the spin offs.

OP
OP
Sumio Mondo

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
They just text me and said they're delaying everything another 3 years, I hope you're happy

Thank you Jonathan Ingram! Very happy now.

Whoa slow down there man

P5 was released 3 and a half years ago now. The gap between P3 and P4 was much less. I think it's more of an indication of how much Atlus have been struggling with the HD era of games. Scramble and Royal are meant to offset the wait for Persona fans. It's just I'm used to Atlus announcing a mainline game at the end of the generation that's cross platform (which I'm guessing might still happen, never say never). I just thought P6 would be on the same engine as P5 and they would just reuse all the assets from that game but maybe they're making P6 in UE4? Never know I guess.

They probably are waiting for P5R to announce anything scramble related in the West.

I was hoping to see SMTV in a Nintendo Direct but that has been MIA.

No clue about 13 Sentinals.

Persona 6 is probably in very early dev.

ReFantasy who knows.

Scramble I can understand but the rest as you can see, patience required, I guess.

Haven't they announced they are building an in-house engine and are moving some high profile games currently in development to that engine? Iirc, that must take some time.

They did? I thought Project Re Fantasy, SMT5 and new EO are UE4(?)

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
First time hearing this. You sure you are not mistaking it with Platinum games?
Last I heard SMTV was on UE4 and I don't remember hearing anything about engine change..

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Nocturne came out in 2003 (over 3 years after PS2 launch) and SMT IV in 2013 (over 2 years after 3DS launch). It's not really that unusual for them to be slow to a console and then stay there forever.
Sure, I'm just talking about their current slow time between releases.
Not about their first release on X console, which wasn't even SMTIV on 3DS (SMT DSO released in 2011) or Nocturne on PS2 (they had plenty of games releasing there beforehand).

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i think well hear more smtv soon-ish, and it'll be either a late 2020 release or early 2021.
once that's out, i expect more games to come out at a much faster pace.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It took 8 years between P4 and P5. P5 isn't even 4 full years old yet, they're still pushing out spinoffs.

Slow the breaks, chief.

Arcana Wiz

Oct 26, 2017

It's kinda off topic and I sorry if its port begging.

But I really don't understand Atlus wanting SMT be switch exclusive and P5 being PlayStation.

Their parent company (Sega) literally have partners studios that focus on porting their games. So outsourcing it wouldnt take any workforce of Atlus team.

@OP I agree that they are quiet... But it isn't so strange if you follow Atlus for some time, they.... Operates in their own time

OP
OP
Sumio Mondo

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The real problem I see here is that they tell us what they are working on too soon.

It's the Square-Enix syndrome, it's spreading.

Isn't Atlus USA basically also the Sega localisation team? Because they've probably been working on all the Yakuza games that have released recently and things like Sakura Wars, etc.

Yeah and that's fair, not wanting to knock them or anything, just thought they'd have announced localization for 13 Sentinels by now. Speaking of SEGA, Yakuza 7 doesn't have a Western release date either afaik. I wonder if these kind of localization announcements that would have been through E3 2020 will now just be dropped randomly by SEGA any other time.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda off topic and I sorry if its port begging.

But I really don't understand Atlus wanting SMT be switch exclusive and P5 being PlayStation.

Their parent company (Sega) literally have partners studios that focus on porting their games. So outsourcing it wouldnt take any workforce of Atlus team.

@OP I agree that they are quiet... But it isn't so strange if you follow Atlus for some time, they.... Operates in their own time

It doesn't really make sense in the modern age but Sega is also happy to make exclusives looking at Fist of the North Star, Judgment and Shin Sakura Wars.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
I've been waiting for Persona 3 Remaster/Remake and Persona Q/Q2 rerelease on maybe Switch. Gave up waiting lol