• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
What's been your favourite specific gameplay mechanic this generation? This is a specific mechanic that has been in 1 or multiple games that was created (or just significantly improved from previous) in this generation.

My personal favourite was the settlement mechanics in Fallout 4:

Fallout-4-Supply-Lines-2.jpg

There was a significant amount of issues with it - tons of bugs - but it was the closest I've gotten to the "build your castle" from Suikoden series or "develop your town" from Dark Cloud / Act Raiser / etc within RPGs of previous generation but adding a lot more Minecraft like building capabilities and farming for supplies via main game. And it did it such in a way that it can be enjoyed as a side aspect to the main game or in addition. So if you got tired of a main quest or side quests, you could go build out your settlements for a bit then come back.

I believe I've played Fallout 4 more then 200+ hours due to this mechanic plus Bethesda games in general being extremely long for completionists like me. That's almost getting on MMO territory hours.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Nioh's Ki pulse- active reload for stamina management

Easy to do, completely optional, multiple ways of doing it, but increases gameplay depth if you choose to invest time into it.

Oct 27, 2017
If the Wii U counts as this gen then I think Splatoon's ink mechanic is probably the most creative one I've seen in a long time. It's so simple, you can visually understand everything, and it's allows a large breadth of movement options. You have something that represents your ammo, territory, and allows you to move through at high speeds and even up walls. Hell, the verticality of the game introduced by the ink swimming is unique in itself and allows level designs fairly unique from pretty much any other shooter out there (even those with high mobility)

Mar 10, 2018
latest

Visceral attack from Bloodborne

It especially comes in handy when you have the Blood Rapture rune equipped, so you can restore some HP each time you do it

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Darkest Dungeon's Stress mechanics.

Add an extra layer of management to your characters which gives them more personality, gives you something to balance with health, and calls back to Arkham Horror tabletop board games

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Nemesis system. Playing through Shadow of War right now and I completely forgot how addictive this is.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I'm going to have to second the ki pulse but I'll also include stance mechanics which play into it in Nioh.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Pogoing in Hollow Knight is very satisfying and works really well for combat and platforming since it resets your dash and double jump.

Deleted member 42221

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Bash mechanic in Ori and the Blind Forest
The combat of Undertale
Health rally in bloodborne
TRICO button in The Last Guardian
The chip system in NieR: Automata
The charm system in Hollow Knight
The health system in Hollow Knight
Stasis in Breath of the Wild
CAPturing in Super Mario Odyssey
Axe throwing in God of War

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I think the climbing from grow home for something new.

giphy.webp

And 2B's Dodge for a basics with flair.

19-bsF4br1.gif

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I'm going to have to second the ki pulse but I'll also include stance mechanics which play into it in Nioh.

If you think about it, Nioh's stance switching is an improved version of DMC4's style switching.

Just easier to do and doesn't lock you out of basic moves but rather modified them.

For Honor's stance and combat system. The absolute best.

The only thing I don't like about For Honor's system is that it's not suited for fighting multiple opponents

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
Darkest Dungeon's Stress mechanics.

Add an extra layer of management to your characters which gives them more personality, gives you something to balance with health, and calls back to Arkham Horror tabletop board games
Yeah, DD Stress gets my vote. Adds a lot of depth to that game and helps build a consistent atmosphere of dread and panic as things go from bad to worse.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty easily

1.gif

Literally nothing else like it has been done in gaming before now. True innovation.

Pakesaker

Oct 25, 2017
Omaha, NE
Bash mechanic in Ori and the Blind Forest
The combat of Undertale
Health rally in bloodborne
TRICO button in The Last Guardian
The chip system in NieR: Automata
The charm system in Hollow Knight
The health system in Hollow Knight
Stasis in Breath of the Wild
CAPturing in Super Mario Odyssey
Axe throwing in God of War
These are all really solid picks, and several of them are the first things that came to my mind.

Oct 27, 2017
Nemesis system and no man's sky sense of space exploration are the standout things of this generation where I can look at it and feel like they're things that would be nigh impossible on previous gen consoles.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
The slide dodge in Nier Automata. Feels fucking fluid to control, works great defensively, allows you to quickly and easily move in combat and makes traversal fun.

nicolasacmf

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Posses... capturing, from Odyssey. Anything that BotW does. Ink from Splatoon. 1-Button combat from Kid Icarus Uprising, which changes the type of attack between melee and ranged pretty seamlessly depending on Pit's distance from the enemies. Combos from Xenoblade 2.

Jan 11, 2018
Unite Morph from The Wonderful 101.
Axe recall from God of War
Bouncing of Cappy in Super Mario Odyssey
Horse poop in The Phantom Pain
Painting transformation in A Link Between Worlds

Deleted member 42221

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Pretty easily

1.gif

Literally nothing else like it has been done in gaming before now. True innovation.
Gotta admit, this mechanic is great. It makes dealing with snipers in long open stretches way more interesting. And in 50 v 50, the fortresses people build in the lategame are incredible.

Plus, making a sky fortress and then exploding it with dynamite and getting a Victory Royale is satisfying as hell.