• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
I'm sure most of us have one. A character that is undeniably popular, yet you're not a fan. Maybe they're meant to be endearing or interesting, but they just don't work for you. And please elaborate at least a bit! Else this thread will get modded™.

My big one is Bakugo from My Hero Academia. Dude gets his fair share of hate, but I get the impression that he's one of the more popular characters in the series despite this. Not every character is created to be likeable, but he's so consistently, unredeemably dickish that I can't stand him in any scene. He's obviously being set up for a redemption arc, but it's been a damn slow process. I'm not a fan of how Deku tends to lick his boots despite what he's done, either.

330px-51511137_338047803473633_6797065228031885312_n.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
latest

Dunban from Xenoblade. Kinda boring, honestly. I'm long tired of his cool guy trope that is in every anime. He's cool if you're 15

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
latest

Neferpitou (HxH) What a trash character. She annoys the shit out of me.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
whsMoHw.jpg
'

Not the character, just Michael Ironside. I've had an irrational hatred of the man ever since he ruined seaQuest.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Jim/Pam
Both of them are shit people just like the rest of the cast but that shit gets ignored because people want to be like them/their romance??

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
original God of War Kratos is just an empty vessel of hyper-masculine testosterone and angst. I like what they did with him in the new game tho. And his actor has always been great

Oct 31, 2017
I came in to say Kacchan but at this point; I can't really say I dislike him as much as I dislike his bully bullshit. He's more fleshed out than one note, fortunately. Still, Deku the truth; fuck King explosion murder

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Bakugo. But also Batman. He's an impossibly OP hero even by DC standards, made more obnoxious by the fact that he "has no powers". In a scenario where he has no control over the outcome he comes out of it the victor talking about how he knew from the beginning how it would play out. And he's so damn dark and angry all the time that when someone he cares about dies it's like "hold on let me guess...he's going to just continue being dark and angry". Everything people hate about Superman is what I dislike about Batman.
Jim/Pam
Both of them are shit people just like the rest of the cast but that shit gets ignored because people want to be like them/their romance??
What broke me out of that spell was working with someone who is exactly like Jim. Let me tell you: dudes like that in real life are unfulfilled clowns who are trying very hard to make you think they're not trying at all. They're the least chill people.
d382852c7a77827d1946a7a0d201166cb162c9d5r1-2044-2044v2_00.jpg

I played blue lions and shes like...blatantly the villain.
I played Crimson Flower Route. You were clearly the villain! :P

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Don't just driveby with your responses. We have a rule for low effort list threads. Try and add a bit commentary to your posts. *eyes the lock button*

I'm not a huge fan of Cortana in Halo. I actually quite like her as a quippy AI in CE and even 2. From there I feel the relationship with Chief sort of took her out of the fun AI personality and being given this awful damsel in distress thing situation with some of my least favourite levels just plummeted my opinion of this character.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017

Both of them honestly but the pig guy especially. Actually everyone in this series is pretty uninteresting imo.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017

I'm not sure I even have much of a great explanation for why Ace just inherently bugs me, it's been years since I read or watched the sections of One Piece where he's a significant factor after all
I feel like I was given little reason to care for this character at all outside of "well he's Luffy's coooool bro so you should like him" and that ends up being a notable problem for me when the crux of the Marineford arc is like this massive marines vs pirate war that's centred around this muggins being captive. They throw on the backstory and big plot revelations at this juncture (and after it) but still, nope, not for me.
Though I wouldn't say I fully dislike the character, but going by the thread title this guy always ranks high in those One Piece character popularity polls and I'm like "but why?"

Also Goku, but I find him even boring as a choice for this thread

Both of them honestly but the pig guy especially. Actually everyone in this series is pretty uninteresting imo.
This reminds me, Is Zenitsu popular?
If he is my entire post just changed upon being reminded of his loud and whiny existence

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Deku - an annoying bitch. Bakugo bullying him is cathartic and horikoshi contemplating ending the series with bakugo having AFO gives me hope that deku will die at the end

shinji - an annoying bitch. Im surprised I made it to the end. And what a nonsensical end that was. Him jerking off to the girl in the coma was the last straw though. The camel's back is all fucked up

Deadpool - tryhard humour. Ryan is a snack tho

Tony soprano - racist

CJ - he complains throught the whole game. I get that rockstar's mission structure leads to him being an errend boy anyways but goddamn.

I'm mostly indifferent to characters but I detest this bunch. Throw them in a pit and set that pit on fire

Last edited:

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
If he is my entire post just changed upon being reminded of his loud and whiny existence
Everyone in this boring ass series is popular. I get its the new shonen hotness but its got almost no originality from what I saw of its characters. I bailed quite hard but I see it EVERYWHERE in Japan and I really just don't get it.

sNZZCRzH3YZOdtTL6RrMhRHfUZl_p8E4efM3_d7dTbKZ3HG5GMVMtWbth5ApokKvmp9FzNMzejRerOUDKKb9Zu2xO5g81k31sW7oJvZe6mQ0VKpRhnMYZaLn

Also add this. All of them. Wing is awful. I say that as a hardcore gundam head.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Yeah, OP, the fact the author obviously intends to keep fellating Bakugo (though thanks to Jump's consistently awful fanbase that's probably out of his hands now, anyway) was enough to make me just drop MHA.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
Everyone in this boring ass series is popular. I get its the new shonen hotness but its got almost no originality from what I saw of its characters. I bailed quite hard but I see it EVERYWHERE in Japan and I really just don't get it.

sNZZCRzH3YZOdtTL6RrMhRHfUZl_p8E4efM3_d7dTbKZ3HG5GMVMtWbth5ApokKvmp9FzNMzejRerOUDKKb9Zu2xO5g81k31sW7oJvZe6mQ0VKpRhnMYZaLn

Also add this. All of them. Wing is awful. I say that as a hardcore gundam head.

Wufei is the worst.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Deku and Bakugo are both terrible, terrible characters. Bakugo especially.

Deku is whiney and annoying. Bakugo is a nutcase and the fact that a violent sociopath like him is training to be a hero of all things is absurd.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I guess it's kind of the point, but Saul Goodman. I hate watch the show. I don't like the character at all, he's cowardly in all the worst ways. I don't know why I torture myself.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
Charles Boyle almost single-handedly makes Brooklyn Nine-Nine unwatchable. I will skip rewatching entire episodes if they feature him too heavily.

OP
OP
Grapezard

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Charles Boyle almost single-handedly makes Brooklyn Nine-Nine unwatchable. I will skip rewatching entire episodes if they feature him too heavily.
My people, I thought I was the only one.

The worst for me was Gina, though. I'm so glad she was the one who'd left the main cast.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
My people, I thought I was the only one.

The worst for me was Gina, though. I'm so glad she was the one who'd left the main cast.

I love Gina; she's arrogant and entitled and oblivious but she's funny. There's not a single redeeming quality about Boyle. I'm not sure I've ever laughed at anything he's said or done. He's the human equivalent of nails on a chalkboard.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Bakugo from MHA.

I had to stop watching becuase of him. Everything about the handling of that character is annoying and frustrating as hell.

Thought they were setting him up to be Deku's Arch nemesis and a villain, instead he's a fucking monster and horrifying bully that gets to pretend to be a good guy and abuse Deku both emotionally and physically becuase apparently he's okay with that. They're "friends".

Fuck that.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant

I'm not sure I even have much of a great explanation for why Ace just inherently bugs me, it's been years since I read or watched the sections of One Piece where he's a significant factor after all
I feel like I was given little reason to care for this character at all outside of "well he's Luffy's coooool bro so you should like him" and that ends up being a notable problem for me when the crux of the Marineford arc is like this massive marines vs pirate war that's centred around this muggins being captive. They throw on the backstory and big plot revelations at this juncture (and after it) but still, nope, not for me.
Though I wouldn't say I fully dislike the character, but going by the thread title this guy always ranks high in those One Piece character popularity polls and I'm like "but why?"

Also Goku, but I find him even boring as a choice for this thread

I wouldn't say I rise to the level of disliking Ace, but I agree with not feeling him as "worth fighting a world war over"

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
Tharja in Fire Emblem is a stalker and unrepentantly abusive to her spouse and to her child, to the point where her child seems to have developed a whole separate personality as a self-protection measure, and becomes her mother's apprentice in some endings so she can protect her infant self from the abuse.

Maffis

Oct 29, 2017
Kimetsu%20no%20Yaiba%20-%2011%20-%20Large%2015.jpg

This guy from Demon Slayer. Holy shit is he annoying. The humor is extremely cringe and it ruins the darker atmosphere whenever he is on screen. Also he is attracted to underage girls. What a fucking ass character. His power is cool tho.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Add another vote to Bakugou. Fuck him. Fuck Todoroki too.