• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
What movie was perfect as is and you hope will never be remade or never should have? Doesn't have to be a blockbuster.

OP
OP
Demacabre

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
I am going to go with The Shining. They did remake it in the 90s(?) into a made for tv series and it wasn't needed.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Back to the Future

Zemeckis won't let it happen as long as he lives IIRC, but he can't live forever.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Remake everything. Best case you get a better movie. Worse case they make a bad movie and the original still exist. There are parts of 2019 Aladdin I like more than the original.

This has been a phenomenon that has never bothered me.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Lawrence of Arabia.

It would be extremely difficult to replicate (or even surpass) what made the film such a masterpiece.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
The Disney live action series.
The right answer. The explanation that keeps coming up is "they're introducing this movie to a new audience", but that's bullshit, especially when we're talking about animated movies from the 90s that are basically timeless. Aladdin, The Lion King, etc. Did not really "age" and kids today can definitely appreciate and enjoy the original without feeling like its an "old movie". It's not like we're talking about black and white movies here, and these live action remakes add nothing, and aside from the new jungle book, the CGi in these movies was at best nothing special. It's just lazy.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Dr. Strangelove.
Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid

I'd be willing to let The Sting be remade, with like that modern rat pack group of most of the Oceans 11 type people. But, not Butch Cassidy. Don't fuck with Butch Cassidy because it'll turn into a buddy comedy that will suck.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Verhoeven movies, the remakes of Total Recall and Robocop just missed the point.

We're gonna get a Starship Troopers remake next encouraging people to join the Space Force and actually mean it.

Robocop and Total Recall should never have been rebooted.

dangit, had the thread open for a few and got beaten to it

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Who framed Roger Rabbit?

Thankfully, short of Disney buying time warner, we're never gonna see it rebooted.

Verhoeven movies, the remakes of Total Recall and Robocop just missed the point.

We're gonna get a Starship Troopers remake next encouraging people to join the Space Force and actually mean it.

You mean like how the independence day sequel was literally a recruitment tool?

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
220px-Back_to_the_Future.jpg

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jackie Chan's 80's-90's epics like Police Story, Legend of the Drunken Master, Project A, Wheels on Meals, Rumble in the Bronx, etc.

No one in history has ever, or will ever be able to pull off what he and his stunt team did in those titles.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
12 Angry Men didn't need a remake, and it certainly didn't need a remake with Tony Danza.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Gus Van Sant Psycho remake should have never happened and it remains one of the most shameful endeavors in film history.

It's also one of the few films I've actually walked out of.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering that being remade doesn't automatically delete every copy of the original movie, nothing.

Dont like it? You always have the original. Nerd gatekeeping is lame as fuck.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The right answer. The explanation that keeps coming up is "they're introducing this movie to a new audience", but that's bullshit, especially when we're talking about animated movies from the 90s that are basically timeless. Aladdin, The Lion King, etc. Did not really "age" and kids today can definitely appreciate and enjoy the original without feeling like its an "old movie". It's not like we're talking about black and white movies here, and these live action remakes add nothing, and aside from the new jungle book, the CGi in these movies was at best nothing special. It's just lazy.

Forreal. I was a 90s baby watching The Little Mermaid, Lady and the Tramp, Jungle Book, Cinderella, Snow White and more.

I sorta admire what Disney is doing with these; but it's such a shame the product ends up being totally tawdry in most aspects.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017

dangit, had the thread open for a few and got beaten to it
I mean the novel that Verhoeven took the piss out of already was more or less a positive outlook on libertarian ideals and a military fascist state, so I'm rather shocked it hasn't been redone yet closer to the novel