• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Ads, battle royale and battle pass is the way. Any combination of those 2 are required for any fps mp games these days.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
PS2 sold so many units due to repeat customers replacing their failing systems. Disc Read Error was arguably in line with RR of Death because they both were going to crippled your system guaranteed.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it's a perfect game if you like to slowly push boulders and play the same looking and sounding cave stages ad nauseum.

here is my hill: YI is thoroughly mediocre despite having nice aesthetics and inspired boss designs-- the latter being the first time a Mario game ever had this!
I think we agree on most things but Yoshi's Island is an exception. Aside from a few tedious parts, it's one of my favourite games. I just find almost everything about it so satisfying from the egg launching, the jumping physics, the creative enemy encounters, the puzzle-ish level design, etc. It didn't feel like a retread of past platformers.

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It really doesn't, it is very unique in that respect. I think it's definitely more of a slow-burner than traditional Mario games and it just isn't something that engages my sensibilities like when I play the games in the genre I personally love-- but I can totally see why people like it.
I tend to replay the faster paced games more, too. I haven't played Super Mario 64 in ages, not because I don't love it but because it takes more investment than blasting through SMB3 again.

Pyramid Head

Oct 27, 2017
Bayonetta 2 isn't a patch on the original. It doesn't even belong to the same genre.
Character action games typically reward the stringing together of creative combos and experimentation with weapons and abilities.
Bayonetta 2 actively punishes any player foolish enough to approach the game that way, whilst rewarding mindless button mashing.

Heidelbeere

Jun 8, 2022
Doom Eternal is a top 5 game of all time. It also has the best dual sense implementation outside of Astro Bot.

Last edited:

Jetsun Mila

Apr 7, 2021
The Capcom 2D Zelda games are a lot better than the ones from Nintendo (except Zelda 1).
There are even quite a few fangames, especially on ZeldaClassic, that are better than these.

In general, for Zelda games it's easily 3D > 2D

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I tend to replay the faster paced games more, too. I haven't played Super Mario 64 in ages, not because I don't love it but because it takes more investment than blasting through SMB3 again.

On the same note, I'll do a quick play through SM64 over virtually every other 3D Mario because the game is easier to start without long cinematically or training levels to suffer through

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
PS2 sold so many units due to repeat customers replacing their failing systems. Disc Read Error was arguably in line with RR of Death because they both were going to crippled your system guaranteed.
I had my OG PS2 from the early 2000s till now. Still there at my parents house. PS2s were very reliable. This is the first time I'm hearing of this.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
Naughty Dog Games would be better as movies/TV shows.

1644637735_669_Uncharted-film-failed-to-convince-critics-and-received-a-41.jpeg

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Traditional roguelikes are better than roguelites and unlocking stuff between playthroughs is a waste of time. The sense of progression should come from you getting better at the game.

Jul 12, 2022
really? i think i may remember it being applied to super scaler games but around the time of PS1/Saturn era-- it definitely was shorthand used to describe games like Clockwork Knight, Tomba, Klonoa, R-Type Delta etc.
We probably grew up in very different environments. I have absolutely no clue what any of those games are nor have I ever seen a Saturn.

But in some groups where a lot of the fan engines for Doom-likes were discussed, 2.5D was used sometimes with Doom's whole thing where the maps are described in 2D but displayed as 3D.

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
2.5D as a concept is absurd and the term should be banished - it is (usually) 2D gameplay and 3D graphics. Separate things. Cannot be averaged into 2.5D.

You're right but people don't want to hear the truth. 2.5D is correctly applied to a situation like some Super Mario 3D World stages, where you have a fixed camera, a stage that is laid out mostly like a side-scroller, but the player has some room to move along the z-axis (not much room). A game like Metroid Dread is just a 2D game.

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We probably grew up in very different environments. I have absolutely no clue what any of those games are nor have I ever seen a Saturn.

But in some groups where a lot of the fan engines for Doom-likes were discussed, 2.5D was used sometimes with Doom's whole thing where the maps are described in 2D but displayed as 3D.
Interesting. I played those Saturn/PS1 platformers and PC games like Doom but only the former category was referred to as 2.5d in my experience, side-scrolling games that were mostly 2d in gameplay but sometimes with minor 3d movement to the background or foreground. It was probably Gamefan magazine (or another console-focused one) that coined the term. I don't recall PC magazines using it.

Oct 26, 2017
Mega Man 9 and 10 are better than the actual NES games. It's subtle, but you can feel the 15+ years of level design evolution between 8 and 9.

Smash Bros is a 7/10 gameplay formula largely carried by 10/10 polish.

There's not as much disparity between Classic Sonic and 3D Sonic as a lot of people think, largely because the Classic Sonic formula is overrated, not to mention that basically everything from the early-mid 90s except 2 and 3&K (and Mean Bean Machine, but that's cheating) is mediocre at best including the entire slate of Game Gear Sonics.

Last edited:

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
100h+ rpgs are incredibly rare.
JESUS CHRIST, YES! I don't get the complain about 100h+ RPGs being the norm, I WISH! Virtually there are little to no 100h+ RPGs whenyou are only talking about story/main mission/campaing. If a RPG is 100h+ is usually because there is griding and a lot of side stuff/fetch quest/optional stuff, not because you go breezing throuh the story. Like plenty of people have said that Xenoblade 3 can be finish in 40-50 hours.

If people are complaining about 100h+ RPGs they are basically complaning that they decide to do a lot of griding/side stuff/fetch quest/optional stuff thgat the game is most likely not forcing them to do.

I wish there were way more RPGs with a 100h+ campaing/main story without grind or side stuff.

Not really most JRPG you now have are always behemoths, like DQXI, Persona 5, even Xenoblade reaches similar numbers

I finish the story on DQXI in less than 100 hours and I grinded a lot. I don't get all the "100h to finish the game". maybe to complete it/be a completionist, but the main story? Hell no.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I had my OG PS2 from the early 2000s till now. Still there at my parents house. PS2s were very reliable. This is the first time I'm hearing of this.
Early PS2 were guaranteed to fail period. I had 1 replaced and had to buy two more.

playstation.fandom.com

Disc Read Error

The Disc Read Error is a common error that can occur with PlayStation 2 consoles. Almost every PS2 will have troubles reading a disk at some point in its life, either the early Disk Read Error, or simple delay while the disk grinds under repeated read attempts. Cleaning the laser lens should...
Almost every PS2 will have troubles reading a disk at some point in its life, either the early Disk Read Error, or simple delay while the disk grinds under repeated read attempts.
arstechnica.com

Dealing with PlayStation 2 disc read errors

Ars console guru Rob Nelson has the low-down on how to fix your PS2.
If you're real lucky, your PS2 might last two or even three years; eventually this error will hunt down your PS2 and settle down there.

W17LY

Aug 29, 2018
AC Unity is top 3 game in the franchise, with 2 and Origins. AC3 is the one who follows.

Ninja Gaiden can't compete against Bayonetta. Not to mention DMC, which is the top in the genre.

Halo 4 is the best Halo game.

FFVIII and FFXV are masterpieces.

Watch Dogs 1 is the best WD.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Early PS2 were guaranteed to fail period. I had 1 replaced and had to buy two more.

playstation.fandom.com

Disc Read Error

The Disc Read Error is a common error that can occur with PlayStation 2 consoles. Almost every PS2 will have troubles reading a disk at some point in its life, either the early Disk Read Error, or simple delay while the disk grinds under repeated read attempts. Cleaning the laser lens should...

arstechnica.com

Dealing with PlayStation 2 disc read errors

Ars console guru Rob Nelson has the low-down on how to fix your PS2.
Mine wouldn't read CDs after a year or two. If you put tape around the center of the disc to adjust the distance to the laser so slightly it would work.

Not too many PS2 games were on CDs but the ones that were (ICO) were frustrating to not be able to play for a while.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Mine wouldn't read CDs after a year or two. If you put tape around the center of the disc to adjust the distance to the laser so slightly it would work.

Not too many PS2 games were on CDs but the ones that were (ICO) were frustrating to not be able to play for a while.

i had to buy a new PS2 shortly after Gradius V came out because it stopped reading CDs right when i got it lol

Shifty Capone

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Said before but I'll add to it.

The only reason I loved BoTW as much as I did is because of having my modded switch to have 0 weapon durability. Absolutely loved the game because of not having to deal with that imo terrible mechanic.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017

Got any data to support that? I'm pretty sure my launch PS2 is still working, and I got a later hardware revision only because its the size of a special edition steelbook. My launch Xbox 360 otoh didn't last a year. I know my example is anecdotal, but I was thinking the RRoD was always a when and not if issue. I don't know anyone with an early 360 that didn't get it. I hadn't heard the same for PS2s although I know companies don't widely publicize.

Shadout

Oct 27, 2017
RTwP >>> Turnbased & Action combat in CRPGs.

Souls games would be worse if they had difficulty settings - and many other games could benefit from not having such settings (difficulty settings are not the same as accessibility settings)

FF13 is a good FF game

Weapon degradation was one of the best features of Zelda BotW - however it rarely is a good feature in games

Mass Effect 1 is the best Mass Effect game.

This one for sure