• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's my wife's birthday this week, and I've got her a couple things but I'm also thinking about grabbing some perfume. What kind of recommendations could you guys give? She usually wears CK Eternity but I wanna expand her horizons.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
It's really personal, I think. A set with samples might be nice (here's one example). Like I like citrusy and floral scents, like Fresh Sugar Lychee and this Atelier, but a lot of more popular/mainstream scents all smell the same to me, just sharp/bitter. Those I like really pop, though. But I don't know if I'm typical?

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, don't buy perfume. It's a personal choice of what smells and styles of perfume she likes so unless you know for sure she likes one very specific one that you can buy her then it will come off as a quick cop out gift. It might even come off insulting if you really miss the mark and choose one she hates or in her mind would never wear.

If you're certain you want to buy it then research what key fragrances are in CK Eternity and try to find others that are somewhat similar.

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
Honestly, don't buy perfume. It's a personal choice of what smells and styles of perfume she likes so unless you know for sure she likes one very specific one that you can buy her then it will come off as a quick cop out gift. It might even come off insulting if you really miss the mark and choose one she hates or in her mind would never wear.
Absolutely this.

If you have to get her perfume then you need to get her the one she wears, which has the added benefit of showing that you pay attention to stuff like that

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
It's my wife's birthday this week, and I've got her a couple things but I'm also thinking about grabbing some perfume. What kind of recommendations could you guys give? She usually wears CK Eternity but I wanna expand her horizons.
Buy her what she wears/likes wearing. If you want to "expand her horizons" then take her perfume shopping and let her pick what she wants or get her a gift card.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Dolce & Gabbana "Eau De Toilette" is the only one I know by name and I like it lol

But I agree that is too personal for a gift.

Reeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like deeper scents. Pomegranate Noir by Jo Malone is my favorite

Edit: also love Vetiver by Diptyque

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
Don't buy her a perfume unless it's somewhere with a good return policy. The nicest scent in the world could smell awful when it mixes with her body chemistry.

Anyways, do you know what scent profiles she likes? Or particular notes?

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Depends on the woman, my guy. Does she like citrus scents? Floral scents? Powdery scents? Leather? Oriental? Woody?

Also, what season are you looking for? Some stuff is appropriate for a specific season.

Some off the top of my head, ordered by my preference within each season:

ALL YEAR
Coco Mademoiselle - Chanel (Citrus)
North Bondi - Ouai (Citrus, Floral)
Guilty for Her - Gucci (Floral)
Viva La Juicy - Juicy Couture (Fruity, caramel)

SPRING / SUMMER (this means fresh/cool/light)
Basil & Neroli - Jo Malone (super fresh, basil)
L'Imperatrice 3 - Dolce & Gabbana (fruity, aquatic)
Cheap & Chic I Love Love - Moschino (citrus)
Nina - Nina Ricci (fruity, sweet)

FALL / WINTER (this means warm)
Myrrh & Tonka - Jo Malone (balsamic, strong lavender and myrrh)
Black XS For Her - Paco Rabanne (fruity, vanilla)
La Vie Est Belle - Lancome (vanilla, powdery)
Decadence - Marc Jachobs (woody)
Hypnotic Poison - Dior (fruity, almondy)
Coco EDP - Chanel (Balsamic, powdery)
Black Orchid - Tom Ford (citrusy, floral)

Note: The spring/summer fragrances tend to be fine for all-year (including Fall / Winter) wear if that is a desire or concern. Fall/Winter fragrances tend to be too warm/strong for summer wear. Also my preferences are just what I personally like. Though they are generally very popular, well-reviewed options.

Also: Just about any Jo Malone fragrance will make her happy. Their stuff is fantastic. North Bondi by Ouai is also a very safe and inexpensive blind buy assuming she doesn't hate floral scents. Google to see where you can get Jo Malone locally. North Bondi is available at Sephora.

Recommendations:
  • Post or smell her current collection of scents. Note any patterns that suggest a preference for a kind of scent (floral, powdery, citrus, etc).
  • Try to sample at least some of these locally rather than blind buying. If you have a Sephora near by, take a trip. If you have a Saks near by, even better.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the woman, my guy. Does she like citrus scents? Floral scents? Powdery scents? Leather? Oriental? Woody?

Also, what season are you looking for? Some stuff is appropriate for a specific season.

Some off the top of my head, ordered by my preference within each season:

ALL YEAR
Coco Mademoiselle - Chanel (Citrus)
North Bondi - Ouai (Citrus, Floral)
Guilty for Her - Gucci (Floral)
Viva La Juicy - Juicy Couture (Fruity, caramel)

SPRING / SUMMER (this means fresh/cool/light)
Basil & Neroli - Jo Malone (super fresh, basil)
L'Imperatrice 3 - Dolce & Gabbana (fruity, aquatic)
Cheap & Chic I Love Love - Moschino (citrus)
Nina - Nina Ricci (fruity, sweet)

FALL / WINTER (this means warm)
Myrrh & Tonka - Jo Malone (balsamic, strong lavender and myrrh)
Black XS For Her - Paco Rabanne (fruity, vanilla)
La Vie Est Belle - Lancome (vanilla, powdery)
Decadence - Marc Jachobs (woody)
Hypnotic Poison - Dior (fruity, almondy)
Coco EDP - Chanel (Balsamic, powdery)
Black Orchid - Tom Ford (citrusy, floral)

Note: The spring/summer fragrances tend to be fine for all-year (including Fall / Winter) wear if that is a desire or concern. Fall/Winter fragrances tend to be too warm/strong for summer wear. Also my preferences are just what I personal like.

Also: Just about any Jo Malone fragrance will make her happy. Their stuff is fantastic. North Bondi by Ouai is also a very safe and inexpensive blind buy assuming she doesn't hate floral scents. Google to see where you can get Jo Malone locally. North Bondi is available at Sephora.

Recommendations:
  • Post or smell her current collection of scents. Note any patterns that suggest a preference for a kind of scent (floral, powdery, citrus, etc).
  • Try to sample at least some of these locally rather than blind buying. If you have a Sephora near by, take a trip. If you have a Saks near by, even better.
Just to underscore how personal this stuff can be (shop around! or take her!), about half of these smell like pain to me. I know many of them are very popular and well loved but I could NOT wear them.

(it's a super great and informative list, though!)

Vish

Oct 28, 2017
Alien - Mugler (heavy)
Paris Hilton - electrify (floral)
Alien - angel (heavy)

All those smell amazing.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Just to underscore how personal this stuff can be (shop around! or take her!), about half of these smell like pain to me. I know many of them are very popular and well loved but I could NOT wear them.

(it's a super great and informative list, though!)
Agreed. Like, some of the women in my life I *know* not to buy them anything floral because they hate floral scents. So it's important to at least have some insight into what she likes.

Best option would indeed be to take her...but then it wouldn't be a surprise. For surprises, making yourself very familiar what the kind of scents the other person likes (by noting what they already own or wear regularly) is a great way to not get something she'll hate. :3

In this case, since her birthday is right on the border of the start of Spring, I'd definitely recommend something that is appropriate for Spring/Summer or All Season wear. No reason to get her something that she can only wear for a month or so.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
If she loves Calvin Klein Eternity for women, get something that has similar notes to it.

Green
Citrus
Carnation
Lily

From this forum thread on Fragrantica, it seems Chanel n°19, L'eau d'Issey Pure Issey Miyaki perfume, and Oscar De La Rental Esprit turned up.

Something similar to Calvin Klein Eternity/Chanel 19 EDT question (Page 1) — Perfume Selection Tips for Women — Fragrantica Club

Something similar to Calvin Klein Eternity/Chanel 19 EDT question (Page 1) — Perfume Selection Tips for Women — Fragrantica Club — Perfume Lovers Online Club

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I recently got a sample of solid parfum from Cartier and loved it ("baiser fou").

I guess it means Stolen Kiss, but since basier as a verb also means to fuck... :D

You have to remember that even the same perfume will smell differently depending on the person wearing it. Something about how it reacts with each person.

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
Buy her a large bottle of whatever perfume she usually wears. It's condescending to think you can "expand her horizons" about perfume. I don't think women settle for a scent they don't like.

I love No. 5, but it's (IME) distinctively worn by the 45+ crowd.
My wife wears No. 22, which is really an obscure scent. They barely even make it anymore, and I have to buy a giant bottle of it every year for hundreds of dollars.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Heavy floral, powdery scent which tends to create strong positive and negative reactions. Some women really, really hate powdery floral scents. Definitely not a safe blind buy. Plus, it's designed for a season that is about to end (Fall/Winter).

Wouldn't really recommend any winter fragrances at this point in the year. Good as a Christmas gift if you know someone likes powdery scents.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Heavy floral, powdery scent which tends to create strong positive and negative reactions. Some women really, really hate powdery floral scents. Definitely not a safe blind buy. Plus, it's designed for a season that is about to end (Fall/Winter).

Wouldn't really recommend any winter fragrances at this point in the year. Good as a Christmas gift if you know someone likes powdery scents.
That's actually a fair point... I think I'm just biased because I like it.

singhr1

Oct 28, 2017
Santal 33 and Byredo Slow Dance are my current go to for perfume gifts. Quite unisex.

But like someone mentioned above, scents are best tested in-store. How a scent lingers on a person varies significantly and you should never buy good perfume without wearing it for a bit.