• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Anyone have any ideas what ways someone can make extra income to complement the income you get from your main job? If you're talking about a 2nd job, what are some examples?

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Uber, Doordash.
If you have a creative hobby, you can almost always market that.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Invest in stocks and real estate if you have some disposable income.

Dividends will start pilling up every month/quarter

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
I did Uber for a bit when I was in law school. I also did substitute teaching for years for extra money.

Oct 30, 2017
I've been selling stuff on ebay. Old statuettes and action figures I don't care for anymore. DVD collections, book bundles, old game console. The primary reason is to clear space at my house but I'm surprised that some of this stuff is worth more than I realized. I have a too large pile of boxes in the corner of my room of further things to sell, it's amazing how much junk a person can collect over the years. It's obviously not sustainable but check your storage or evaluate your rooms, see if there's anything you can offload that you truly do not care about.

In storage I found my old Chrono Trigger Players Guide from the SNES days, along with one for Chrono Cross. Literally 2 things I forgot I even had, no attachment whatsoever. That bundle sold for $140. If I cared for it or had attachment, different story. Don't sell anything you'll regret. But for this, decision to sell was no brainer

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I actually really enjoyed the 6 months I did Instacart shopping & delivery last year. It was easy money.

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
I personally work part time at a coffee shop. It's a local place and they're aware that it's my side gig. I work weird times but it's fun to see the locals come through and interact with them.

You can also look for some clerical work on Indeed. I had a friend that made ~$15/hour scanning medical reports into their system and shredding the physical copies.

As others have said, Uber/Doordash is the easiest to get into. No real interview process.

A less lucrative method is Amazon Mturk or similar survey taking sites. I do this occasionally if I need a somewhat quick $20-100. This can also pay horribly if you get the wrong tasks. Check out r/beermoney or r/mturk

Other places that are good second jobs... Landscaping, Flower shops, Pharmacies (delivery).

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
Now isn't the time, but if I needed extra income I'd just work at a local grocery store on nights and weekends.

OP
OP
KAMI-SAMA

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Where are you?
Uber, Dash, blood donation etc.

I live in South Florida. I tried to apply one time to doordash and the app told me there were no open positions in my area. I get the feeling it's going to be the same during the pandemic.

Invest in stocks and real estate if you have some disposable income.

Dividends will start pilling up every month/quarter

What are some sounds investments to make? Also, when you say real estate, you mean buy property right?

The vaguest of questions. More context needed, like what skills do you have?

I work in the healthcare sector doing administrative work. It's decent money but I have some expenses that I would like to have some extra income for.

I actually really enjoyed the 6 months I did Instacart shopping & delivery last year. It was easy money.

What is that exactly? Tell me more.

Jun 10, 2018
As a writer, there are surprisingly a plethora of opportunities to earn tertiary income, including but not limited to small gigs, free lance work, and contests.

I definitely plan to do enter them more often going into next year. Right now however I'm far more focused on completing my WIP 😅

Other than that I did dividend investing, which is simply buying, holding onto, and building positions to maximize my income return. My yield right now is only a little over $270 annually on ~$3800 invested in dividends (the other $400 is in Nokia), but this is more of a long-term revenue building stream than an immediate one.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Making and selling art or becoming a photographer.

Each is fulfilling and, if you get good, fairly lucrative. And once you know what you're doing, they aren't very time consuming. My wife has made thousands of dollars by selling her artwork and photography services since I've known her. And she only does it for about 20-30 hours per year.

OP
OP
KAMI-SAMA

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
There are no men in only fans?

I think men will probably have a sizable gay following if you're into that. But I don't see them getting anywhere close to the same money as women.

Be attractive, have a big dick.

I asked for help, not to insult me like this. :(

Purchasing parking spaces and renting them

How much does that run for or is this a joke? lol

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
Sometimes I toy with the idea of doing people's taxes on the side. I'm an attorney and I understand tax pretty well (I do my own and family members' every year). But I dunno, it would be kind of a pain in the ass and I don't really need the money.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
There's a reason why it's the world's oldest profession. Just a thought.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, I'm not sure what to say or describe my skills as. Like administrative skills? Working on computers all day? Sorry, can you explain more.
Do you draw/paint? Make things? Any hobbies?

If the only skills you have are your full-time job, can you find a part-time gig where you do the same?

OP
OP
KAMI-SAMA

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Do you draw/paint? Make things? Any hobbies?

If the only skills you have are your full-time job, can you find a part-time gig where you do the same?
What creative endeavors do you like to do? That can include anything - art, a craft, athletics, etc.

Oh no it's the first day of school again! Man, I seriously couldn't tell you. I was actually thinking of finding hobbies to do back in 2020 before the pandemic hit... so that was put on the backburner. I like to play videogames(obviously), lift weights, and I gotten into traveling when I can. I know, I'm as interesting as a sack of potatoes.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Be attractive, have a big dick.

The bolded isn't as necessary as you think it is. If you're making solo content you're probably aiming at an audience that cares about other things.

That said, OnlyFans is not a "serious" suggestion as it's a full time job and you're becoming a sex worker, so if you're not prepared with the way society treats SWs unfairly then that's not the goal.

Oh no it's the first day of school again! Man, I seriously couldn't tell you. I was actually thinking of finding hobbies to do back in 2020 before the pandemic hit... so that was put on the backburner. I like to play videogames(obviously), lift weights, and I gotten into traveling when I can. I know, I'm as interesting as a sack of potatoes.

If you were traveling seriously I'd suggest writing a travel blog. Granted, that's a bit harder to do now.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
What is that exactly? Tell me more.
It's like DoorDash but an app for grocery delivery. How it works is that the people who want groceries put up a request with the list of items they want and from what store. I'd choose one of the requests each of which would also have estimates for what I'd end up being paid and distance to the client's home, go to the store and shop for the items, keeping in contact with the client in case something is out and they want a replacement. When I finished shopping & get the items rung up, the client's payment method would be accessible from the app to pay with. Drive to the home of the client, deliver the groceries and get my fee. I would do like 4-5 requests every other day when I used it.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You lift? Why not train other people then on the side then? Don't overthink it. Just help other do what you're already doing for yourself.

Run an outdoor workout class during warm months for example.

Jun 10, 2018
Any good sources?

I feel like everything I find is people bidding each other to the bottom.
Nothing website-based unfortunately. I've been on those sites too and they're exactly as you described - which is why I don't use them anymore.

For contests and small gigs I usually either check social media or local listings. Here's a social media page someone forwarded me that I've been checking out recently:

Login • Instagram

Welcome back to Instagram. Sign in to check out what your friends, family & interests have been capturing & sharing around the world.

There's also an online directory of nation-wide contests you can enter in if you're interested in that. I'll have to find the link.

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
Ever played an online game like WoW or EQ, OP?

You would be surprised how much people pay for items, game money and accounts. I made an easy $700 this way.

Collectibles are also hot atm. Check that closet for old trading cards, sports cards, pokemon, comics etc.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Donate plasma. Can make ~$400-500 a month for about 10-15 hours of your time.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Depending on your proficiency in subjects, pursuing a tutoring gig might be worthwhile.

Also how much extra money are you talking about wanting to make? If you're looking for something relatively simple you can always try to put in to be a school crossing guard at your county if you have the availability.

I did Uber for a bit when I was in law school. I also did substitute teaching for years for extra money.

That's something an old co-worker of mine did as well.