• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Paris. Been there thrice, all for work.

Pocket got picked among things.

Also, the 'romanticism' of Paris is greatly overrated.

Paris is the only city in the world I've ever been to where someone tried to pick my pockets. I noticed it and showered the guy in colorful language tho.
That said, I'd love to go back there, because the food was great and most people I met were nice too.

My personal answer would be Bangkok.
Cockroaches everywhere, dead rats in the gutter, and everyone tries to make a quick buck out of you.

As long as you stick to the coast tho, Thailand itself is great.
People are much nicer in smaller towns, and the food is delicious.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Houston. It was forgettable and freeways seemed more important than people. No thanks.

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
Likely - Tokyo and Seoul.
I've visited both cities, really enjoyed them - but i'm not enough of a Japanophile (and whatever Korean equivalent) to justify (from a carbon footprint perspective) another trip there. Been there, liked it, seen it.

There's many places i actually liked waaaay less but they might be part of a larger vacation (like, i don't really have a desire to visit L.A. again, but might as well stop there when i'm visiting the US West Coast again)

I just wanna chime and say thanks for being environment conscious <3.

For me it's NYC, I like dense walkable cities so I should love it, but it's just so generic to me, I guess maybe over exposure to american culture or something. It just felt so meh.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
New Delhi - I was born and raised there, it was good back in the 90's but now has become an overcrowded polluted hell. Never going back...

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
I wish I could say LA, but I know I'll get dragged back there. Fucking awful city. Worst example of urban sprawl I've ever seen. Hate everything about the place.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Kyoto, Japan. The lack of malls and big stores are so disappointing, it feels like im living in rural village. What should be improved: add malls and branded stores: zara, uniqlo, etc near temples. Also, please provide starbucks more

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Mobile, Alabama.

I lived there for a time as a kid and it was easily the worst place I have ever lived.

Kyoto, Japan. The lack of malls and big stores are so disappointing, it feels like im living in rural village. What should be improved: add malls and branded stores: zara, uniqlo, etc near temples. Also, please provide starbucks more

/s ????????

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Doha, Qatar

Kandahar, Afghanistan

Seoul, South Korea

Gwanju, South Korea

Misawa, Japan

Tokyo, Japan

Great Falls, MT

These are all places I was either stationed at, visited or was deployed to when I was in the Air Force.

I got out in 2017 and don't see myself ever getting a chance to go back to any of them (as much as I would like to).

Cilla

Oct 29, 2017
Queensland, Australia
Manchester. Lived in England for a year and I would never go back. I went to more than Manchester of course but that was where I lived. Just yeah, quality of life was not what I was used to and I couldn't live in those tiny houses long term.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017

Are you trying to piss off the urbanists :p

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Mobile, Alabama.

I lived there for a time as a kid and it was easily the worst place I have ever lived.

/s ????????
Thats not even a sarcasm. Thats a truth. I remember i visited fushimi inari in kyoto, there were so many stairs, i climbed hoping there would at least coffee shop above but there were none

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't say I won't revisit any city because work may take me back. But if there's one place I've been I'd be happy never to visit again it's Vegas.

Unfortunately I'm back there next month.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Lyon or Middlesbrough.

Lyon isn't bad, per se, but it's definitely not a place you go to as a tourist.

Middlesbrough is a dive.

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Thats not even a sarcasm. Thats a truth. I remember i visited fushimi inari in kyoto, there were so many stairs, i climbed hoping there would at least coffee shop above but there were none

Haha, now I know you are trolling. Phew.

Anyone who would replace those amazing Japanese tea houses on the Fushimi Inari climb with starbucks isn't welcome in Kansai as far as I am concerned!

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017

Anyone who would replace those amazing Japanese tea houses on the Fushimi Inari climb with starbucks isn't welcome in Kansai as far as I am concerned!
Japanese tea? But I dont even like japanese tea (the one with the weird taste, im okay with the one with water-like taste), let alone japanese tea houses which i will unlikely visit unless my friends insist.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Athens - it is dirty and gross. One time was enough.

Portland - overhyped, it was nice to see once, but don't see a reason to go back.

There are more, but I don't want to write out a list of places I've been.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017

Also, there is no right for you to accuse me because the title of the thread is the town i will not visit again. So i dont think i want to visit kyoto again for those reasons. You are too deeply engaged in an argument you forgot the source of the notion

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Also, there is no right for you to accuse me because the title of the thread is the town i will not visit again. So i dont think i want to visit kyoto again for those reasons. You are too deeply engaged in an argument you forgot the source of the notion

Okay, well...

There is a Zara store right in Gion Shijo, so probably a 5 min walk from at least one shrine/temple.
There are around 3 or 4 Uniqlo stores in that area as well, and at least one of them is inside an Aeon Mall.
The main shopping street in downtown Kyoto has several department stores and shopping malls just like the above Aeon Mall.

And there are easily a dozen Starbucks in the downtown Kyoto area, a lot of them within range of tourist spots.

Kyoto definitely has a more laid back, less bustling atmosphere than other big cities but it's not some rural village...

Sorry if I offended I guess, but your take was just so out there I honestly pegged it as sarcasm.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Hard to say since I haven't been that many places. Probably Playa Del Carmen. Stayed at a resort near there and went into town a couple times. Nothing too terrible about it but I'm unsure if I'll go back to Mexico and if I do I'd want to go to a different part probably.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I wish I could say LA, but I know I'll get dragged back there. Fucking awful city. Worst example of urban sprawl I've ever seen. Hate everything about the place.

LA is fantastic and anyone who says stuff like this about it doesn't know what the fuck they're talking about.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Been all over, and probably don't need to revisit places like Brisbane, Cuzco, New Delhi, Yangon, or Bahrain again. Not that I'd mind if I needed to whatever reason, but I'm not that eager to go back.

johan

Oct 29, 2017
Split, Croatia. Was all right, nothing special other than the nice weather and good service. Food was eh whatever. More expensive than I expected too.

San Francisco, but I'll probably go back there some time for GDC again. Have to say that only downtown was really fucked though, outside of that it's quite alright. GDC is in downtown so ehhhh

Everyone going to Amsterdam should try to avoid the city center (as pretty as it may be). The areas around it aren't as badly crowded. Also take a train to Utrecht

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
What do you mean by dead city when referring to Oslo

It's fine to visit for a day or two, but spending 5 days there you've already exhausted a lot of the attractions.

Like all of Norway it's super expensive so you can't spend as much compared to other holidays and it just feels too modern for my taste. Weird mixture of a grid layout system with windier areas is a bit jarring. It's also not grimey enough, the city feels too sanitised.

The biggest issue was making an extended holidays out of a weekend city.

Minx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Illinois
Can't say I have ever been to a city I hated. I would return to all of them but I like new places so there are some cities I'll doubt I'll visit again but nothing I'm intentionally avoiding.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
There are no cities I would absolutely want to avoid but Belfast and Bratislava were quite boring. At least, Bratislava was super cheap.

I think the trick to enjoying the more popular European cities is to visit them outside the tourist season. Both hotel and flight prices are way cheaper and everything is less crowded. I had a wonderful time in Rome and Naples last February. Even the weather was quite nice.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Dubai for me. Been there once. During a tour there the guide mostly said "To the left there's a mall. To the right there's also a mall. In front of us there's a mall under construction".
It has no real history or culture, it just tries to portray its obscene wealth.

Dubai would be my first pick, too. Won a trip there on a business incentive. It was... dull. Thankfully it was only a 5-Day trip, but it was just... "Oh hey a Mall, oh hey, construction, oh hey cars". There's absolutely nothing to see there.

The next pick would be Beijing. I liked Bejing okay, but you can cover everything there is to see pretty easily, and even back in 2009 the contrast between poor and rich was gross, including them trying to hide Hutongs behind walls so the tourists coming for the olympic games wouldn't see the slums in the city. With China in the state it is in right now, I'll never go to Beijing. Or Shanghai and Hong Kong for that matter. Which is a shame, because I've been wanting to go to HK forever now.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I don't go by the "my impact is tiny compared to ..." mantra - it's a bit too defeatist for my tastes.

But yeah, it's not like i'm not gonna do long distance flights altogether anymore. I'm just aware of their carbon cost, so they have to be worth it. And for someone who's like ... not into Anime or any Japanese media, and comes from a country with fast trains, nice woods and mountans, the cost simply outweigh the benefit.

I'd rather spend my time, money and CO2 to get to places i haven't seen yet or that impressed me a whole lot more.

Same goes for, like ... Toronto. I'm unsure if i'll ever go there again.

Well, tbf. If you're not into Anime, or Japanese media, and only have been to Tokyo... you ain't seen nothing of the parts of Japan actually culturally worth experiencing. There are a lot of regions worth seeing, Okinawa, the greater Kansai area... A two day hike up on Koyasan, etc.

As for carbon footprint, I get you. I try to space out trips to Japan or the general asian area to every three years, but I also neither own a car, nor drive a lot, and take most of my trips inside my city by foot. I'd say I'm fine when it comes to carbon footprint. XD

Fool

Banned
May 2, 2018
Gdansk. Visited twice within a short period of time last year. It wasn't bad, but I don't feel any incentive to visit ever again.

captaincunk

Dec 29, 2018
Cancun is just a glorified swamp, Playa del Carmen was decent but nothing that you can't experience better somewhere else in the world. The humidity in that place is just outrageous. Skin felt so sticky despite having the A/C on..

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Well, tbf. If you're not into Anime, or Japanese media, and only have been to Tokyo... you ain't seen nothing of the parts of Japan actually culturally worth experiencing. There are a lot of regions worth seeing, Okinawa, the greater Kansai area... A two day hike up on Koyasan, etc.

I was never implying that there's nothing to see in Japan besides Tokyo.
(we actually did hike Mt. Mitsutoge, fwiw, so we did leave the metropolitan area ;) )
It's just that - being from Austria, a country filled with lush forests, beautiful rivers and hikeable mountains, the benefit of doing this in Japan is really not particularly worth it. (Add the fact that i'm not particularly into temples or 'old towns' kind of places).

There's so many places i haven't seen yet, and i certainly only got a glimpse of Japan. I liked it, but i simply wouldn't double dip before i've gone down quite a long list of other destinations.

captaincunk

Dec 29, 2018
Hard to say since I haven't been that many places. Probably Playa Del Carmen. Stayed at a resort near there and went into town a couple times. Nothing too terrible about it but I'm unsure if I'll go back to Mexico and if I do I'd want to go to a different part probably.

You should go to Puerto Vallarta, Guanajuato or San Miguel de Allende. PV is beautiful especially during soursop/jackfruit season.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I was never implying that there's nothing to see in Japan besides Tokyo.
It's just that - being from Austria, a country filled with lush forests, beautiful rivers and hikeable mountains, the benefit of doing this in Japan is really not particularly worth it. (Add the fact that i'm not particularly into temples or 'old towns' kind of places).

There's so many places i haven't seen yet, and i certainly only got a glimpse of Japan. I liked it, but i simply wouldn't double dip before i've gone down quite a long list of other destinations.

Pshh, the mountains in Kansai are so much cooler than our silly middle European mountains!

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
I would always visit a city again, I can not disregard anywhere. Everywhere is beautiful in its own way. Having said that, the New York Metro is probably the dirtiest and most retched place I've ever been in a first world country, some of the scum I saw I will never forget. Some parts of the city just look dilapidated. It's monotonous and grey and pure filthy in most parts and just becomes so boring just walking around blocks over and over again.

The people are so consistently friendly though, which is a surprise for a city of that size. You don't get that in Europe haha.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
LA is fantastic and anyone who says stuff like this about it doesn't know what the fuck they're talking about.

Glad you think so. I hope you enjoy your time there. I hate that place, and I feel comfortable saying that because I've been there many times. It's leaps and bounds ahead of every other city on my "places I never want to be" list.

Possumowner

Oct 27, 2017
Uk
Definitely Paris,highly overrated....also had the pick pocket experience,but also had the experience of a rather violent chef (I know stereotypes)...but he slapped one of the servers,no idea what for...but yeah,not great

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
Oslo, nothing wrong with it (although the lack of traffic in the city centre whilst a good thing, is eerie!), it's just kinda milquetoast.

LA - Permanent rush hour and takes a 40 minute uber ride to get anywhere, it's as if God punched the city and spread everything out.

Blackpool is a place I never want to visit again. It went beyond "not enjoying it" for me; it was like a waking existential horror nightmare the entire time I was there, like the UK's own version of Silent Hill.

They call it a resort town, that is the town of last resort.