• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Just curious, but how small is the space and how close are you sitting to the TV? I have to imagine you could make a 32" screen work at least.
Can't speak for the OP but personally I have a space in my kitchen that won't even fit a 24" comfortably. I'm dreading the day that the current TV there ever dies and wish I bought a spare as a backup since I prefer the physical design of it compared to TVs on the market currently.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
There is probably a minimum price that makes selling the parts of a TV unrelated to size make sense, and if you can get ginormous tvs for 400-500 dollars maybe putting the same parts in something that would then go for 1-200 isn't doable.

Monitors are an option but many don't have the tuners, etc (as much as people prob don't use them)

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My boyfriend bought a 65 inch tv for our living room and it's too fucking big for the size of the room. I hate it and it burns my eyes when I sit on the couch.

I have to watch movies and series from the opposite end of the room, sitting at the dining table.

Watching Ru paul Drag race is like an LSD trip - colors are so vivid and saturated it makes me want to puke and gouge my eyes out.

Lately I watch a 130" TV from 10' away.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My boyfriend bought a 65 inch tv for our living room and it's too fucking big for the size of the room. I hate it and it burns my eyes when I sit on the couch.

I have to watch movies and series from the opposite end of the room, sitting at the dining table.

Watching Ru paul Drag race is like an LSD trip - colors are so vivid and saturated it makes me want to puke and gouge my eyes out.

Is it a 4k or 1080p? 4k tvs have a much shorter optimum viewing distance.

timshundo

CANCEL YOUR AMAZON PRIME
Oct 27, 2017
CA
I would like to see the space a 22in is perfect in 👀

Cuz I'm imagining a broom closet

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
What sort of inhuman conditions are you living in that 22" is an ideal tv size?

You'll need to sit 2 feet or closer to get a good viewing area for that.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Cp7fE6NXYAAo-Pt.jpg

I laughed xD
Jan's face was taken at the perfect time too

MoosetheMark

May 3, 2019
How can you use a monitor as a TV without a remote, though? Sounds like a major pain in the ass and I don't see many monitors with an IR sensor for remotes built in. Monitors also have terrible built-in sound, so you're gonna be needing external speakers too and suddenly your small setup isn't so small anymore.

Small TVs were cool but they do seem dead as a doornail. It's why I use an old-ass 27-inch with a built in DVD player in the bedroom.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
I would like to see the space a 22in is perfect in 👀

Cuz I'm imagining a broom closet
this is what i always imagine too. my pc monitor is 27in and i sit 2 ft away and its fine, even had a 32in at one point. but for a room? no. but i mean if you absolutely MUST have your 19" 720p tv from 2004, Walmart has you covered.

May 15, 2018
Denmark
Make sure you measure the tv size and not just the screen size If you are aiming for fitting it in a cabinet or similar. Bezels on your new tv could be much smaller than on your current one.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
How can you use a monitor as a TV without a remote, though? Sounds like a major pain in the ass and I don't see many monitors with an IR sensor for remotes built in. Monitors also have terrible built-in sound, so you're gonna be needing external speakers too and suddenly your small setup isn't so small anymore.

Small TVs were cool but they do seem dead as a doornail. It's why I use an old-ass 27-inch with a built in DVD player in the bedroom.

The only 'TV' thing my remote does is change the volume (and even that is just pass through to my receiver). My day to day remote is my tivo one and all channel changing etc just drives the set top box.

Sound can be an issue but you can get them with speakers built in - even my ultrawide has (poor) speakers in.

Isn't there still a small market for RVs etc?

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was trying to find one a couple of years ago and I found nothing. You are better off getting a monitor or something at that point but even that isn't perfect as HDR isn't really a thing on most of them. Assuming you are going for a budget price that is.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
My old 22 inch, 720p Philips TV is on the way out I think, so I've recently begun exploring what all my options are. 22 inches is the perfect size for the space, and while I would love a higher resolution, I really don't think I can accommodate something much larger. But judging from review sites, as well as looking at various TV models, it seems like these days 43 inches is what's considered small! That's twice as big! Where's my 22 inch LG CX!

Whatever happened to small TVs? 17-24 inches? Does everyone live in mansions now 🤔
A 43" screen is four times (approximately) the size of a 22" one. Double the diagonal measurement and you quadruple the area.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
So I just measured and my TV is actually 18 1/2 inches diagonally :x

Go to Wal-Mart, they got 20-inch screens for less than a hundred bucks.

Probably cheap crap tho right

Hmm, I will look into these thanks!

at 24in the difference between 1440 and 4k will be negligible.

I remember reading something similar about 1080p vs 720p back in the day, where if the screen is that size then you can't really tell the difference. I think that's why I've been satisfied with 720p all these years and haven't felt super compelled to upgrade.

yeah but its not really worth it since they are as expensive as a good tv

oh :(

Just curious, but how small is the space and how close are you sitting to the TV? I have to imagine you could make a 32" screen work at least.

i don't wanna say now :C I guess I could try to reconfigure things a bit and fit in a 32" but I fear I'd end up like ultramooz

How can you use a monitor as a TV without a remote, though? Sounds like a major pain in the ass and I don't see many monitors with an IR sensor for remotes built in.

Hurm, that's a good point...

So you're telling me you've been watching all this tv in 720 all along?

Ratsky what?

Our own RatskyWatsky, the creator or all the TV threads is watching TV on a 22 incher? 😢

🤣

A 43" screen is four times (approximately) the size of a 22" one. Double the diagonal measurement and you quadruple the area.

Oh 22 x 2 is 44 so I thought it was double

score01

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I would class 17"-24" as small. Now 14" TVs? Whatever happened to those?