• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Best story

• Ocarina of Time

Votes: 74 13.8%
  • Majora's Mask

Votes: 152 28.4%
  • The Wind Waker

Votes: 117 21.8%
  • Twilight Princess

Votes: 53 9.9%
  • Skyward Sword

Votes: 76 14.2%
  • Breath of the Wild

Votes: 35 6.5%
  • Other (specify)

Votes: 29 5.4%

• Total voters

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
My ranking in terms of story:
Majora's Mask > Wind Waker > Link's Awakening > Ocarina of Time > Breath of the Wild > Link Between Worlds > Spirit Tracks > Twilight Princess > everything else

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
I loved Skyward Sword and Wind Wakers story. Twilight Princess was good too and whatever we got of BOTW was enjoyable.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's difficult to choose between MM and OOT. OOT has a simple but great story. The game introduced a lot of Zelda lore we know today, has a great and effective antagonist, story told by environment and 7 years twist where we see the fate of a lot of characters during this time. Never felt so good feeling myself as a hero.
On the other MM puts the protagonism in the hads of the NPCs and tells the story through their routines. Shit is fucking interesting and I still want to see a games doing this better than MM.

I also love how SS story but imo they are too intrusive for a game. Best cutscenes in Zelda series.

Not that fan of Wind Waker, TP and BOTW story. BOTW being the worst offender. All of them have some great moments though.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
A good ending doesn't make the whole narrative good lol name literally any other part of the narrative in Windwaker other than the Ganondorf scenes and pirates.

AmericanKirby

Aug 31, 2018
Inside your house
If were just talking about the main central plotline then Skyward Sword wins by a mile. Which kinda sucks because it's easily the worst 3D Zelda in the gameplay department.

I feel Majora's Mask has the best writing over all though. Definitely has the best written sidequests in the series.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
I'm not sure. I honestly don't think Zelda stories are very good, aside from stuff like atmosphere and world building which is more of a setting thing. MM, LttP and TP probably have the most interesting story concepts to me though, and I think SS has the best written villain (Ghirahim).

Oct 25, 2017
Wind Waker where it had a concrete beginning to end. It wins no contest.

Majora Mask had the best character writing of the series, but it's ultimately a filler story.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
I would say Ocarina has the most cohesive, self-contained story on the whole. Meanwhile, Ocarina + TP and Ocarina + WW both make for interesting sagas.

From a simple "cleanliness" standpoint, though, I really like Breath of the Wild. It's almost a soft reboot of sorts in terms of story.

Skyward Sword's story utterly demystifies Zelda lore and turns it into trashy anime tropes, so I find it extremely heavy-handed and would rather forget it exists.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Majora's Mask is still a legend type story, but it's dark themes and deeper story telling is not something I've really seen matched in the series since. It is a story that fits the idea that everyone in the game is broken, and that you as Link are broken, that you have the courage to go on and to help heal those around you. It's unique, it is also one of the easiest games to overlook when you are a child playing it for the first time. The time mechanics give you freedom but you just feel limited at first, the characters feel alive in their limited 3 day world, and the entire thing has this mystery behind it, who are these people who were forsaken by the Gods.

I hope Nintendo does take the time to fully remaster this and oot, bring them into the modern age, because they are some of the most meaningful experiences the series has to offer.

Iride

Oct 28, 2017
Most of the games have a good story (I'm surprised Link's Awakening isn't in the poll), but Wind Waker absolutely stands out to me. Sure, it does feel like the typical hero's journey seen in the series, but WW also focuses strongly on the idea of clinging to the past, moving on from that, and legacy. Link doesn't immediately start off as the Hero of Time, and only comes into it - as a successor, really - over the course of his adventures when he was just trying to save his sister. There's also that sense of legacy/succession with Medli and Makar too.

Ganondorf's characterization in WW is fantastic, and it ties in quite well to the theme of the past and moving on, especially since King Daphnes acts as his opposite. Both men fixated on Hyrule ages after it was flooded, and both wished to bring it back... but Daphnes realized he had to let go of the past. It's reflected in his wish on the Triforce, even though it'd mean Hyrule would be forever lost under the sea.

The ending is poignant as well, where he admits his similarities to Ganondorf and tells Link and Zelda that the future is theirs ("I want you to live for the future." / "This was the only world that your ancestors were able to leave you. Please, forgive us." / "I have scattered the seeds of the future..."). There's no place for him, or for the past - and it's shown clearly when Link and Zelda try to get him to come with them, only for him to refuse and stay behind as Hyrule is submerged. It's hard to watch, especially since he's accompanied Link throughout the entire game, and yet it's necessary.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
putting BotW instead of Link's Awakening in that poll feels wrong

its Link's Awakening

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna go with Majora's Mask. The worldbuilding of that game is its strongest quality.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i feel like Skyward Sword was the first Zelda to really show its narrative chops. shame it was ruined by horrible pacing and being, well, a mediocre game.

guess it says a lot for the story that i slogged through the whole thing. otherwise i doubt i would have

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
They're all pretty bad even by game standards, but I liked SS's most with how it fleshed out the context for all the other games.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is hard, but I'l go with Wind Waker because of how amazing Ganondorf was.

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
It's Link's Awakening, by far. The twist was unexpected and awesome for such a game, and backed by an incredible piece of cheap tune.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
The Wind Waker. Majora's Mask has amazing characters and atmosphere, but if we are talking about pure storytelling, Wind Waker wins by default.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Honestly Majora's Mask's "story" is mostly judged by the experiences people had with the side-quests. They all relate to the cyclical framework of its narrative but ultimately they don't directly influence the critical path. If you strictly look at the main path it's basically "Kid gets bullied; kid grew apart from friend: Kid reconciles his misdeeds; kid finds a new friend".

It's alright but the execution always leaves me feeling slightly emptier than I feel I should once the game lands on its "The End" screen with that weird Kokiri jingle.

I do actually hold Ocarina of Time above MM in terms of raw storytelling although it's a more generic framework.

Wind Waker is the best one for me closely followed by the N64 games and Link's Awakening. Quite a lot of side-dialogue in Wind Waker reaffirms that Link is being dragged into his "destiny" and on second-playthroughs when you can read the Hylian text, the fish-gods all talk to his boat, the King of Red Lions in a cautious manner. "So, you really want to bring the boy into this?" and such. It all culminates in that fantastic endgame where you see the contrast between the King and Ganon and the game finally reveals that the Zelda mythos and the imposed destinies it brings does more harm than good. In a sense it deconstructs Zelda and ends on a freeing note, that the future for all children belongs to them and not the guardians who grew up in a different time. It's such a universal idea and not something you see as the "main theme" that often in storytelling, at least not in a heroic fantasy. It ends the game on a strong note.

By the Goddess I hope BOTW2 features another complex Ganon
I think when people keep saying this you're understandably thinking of WW Ganondorf but really, in a sense what you're asking for is just another retelling of Wind Waker then. Imagine if Ganondorf appeared 6 times as a complicated villain and each time his motivation is completely different. One time he's a thief who wanted to represent a poor people with might. Another time he's a tragic hero that was denied by gods. Another time he's an old man stuck in an infinite time loop that made him lose all he cared for. etc.

I just don't want Ganondorf to become an "idea-sponge", essentially. I think it's cool if BoTW just goes with the idea that this "Malice" swallowed up Ganondorf's corpse and reanimates it - then the characters of the story suggest the myth behind Ganondorf and his Gerudo roots, but the core of the story revolves around someone else than him. More than anything I would love another Zant but without ruining their agency at the 11th hour through Ganon.

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
a
A good ending doesn't make the whole narrative good lol name literally any other part of the narrative in Windwaker other than the Ganondorf scenes and pirates.

The end was good precisely because of the narrative build up that had happened through the game. For example: The (initially) unknown conversations between KORL and the ancients creating mystery and a sense of uncertainty of what you (as Link) are being asked to do and whose side you're on which played out beautifully in the final scene.

Also:
The bored french mini game guy
Inverting the rich and poor guys and the rich girl turning to crime
Nasty dude running the bomb shop and his comeuppance
Gonzo's unrequited love for Tetra
Love and dedication of Medli
Eskimo looking rapacious shop dude

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like the origin story and active role of Zelda in Skyward Sword.

That said, no Zelda game has had a good story so far. They are often an afterthought, for better or worse.

TanookiTom

Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Majora's Mask definitely seems to have the densest atmosphere of any Zelda game. Also considering the interesting side quests and characters, the interesting antagonist etc.

Ultimately I voted for Skyward Sword because I really love how it characterized Zelda and I thought it made for a very compelling "beginning" story and also using very interesting side characters.

Wind Waker is another hot contender. I think none of the other Zelda games come even close.

Certainly not Breath of the Wild - which is one of my major complaints I had with the game. I hope BOTW 2 will be for BOTW what Majora's Mask has been to Ocarina of Time.

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly Majora's Mask's "story" is mostly judged by the experiences people had with the side-quests. They all relate to the cyclical framework of its narrative but ultimately they don't directly influence the critical path. If you strictly look at the main path it's basically "Kid gets bullied; kid grew apart from friend: Kid reconciles his misdeeds; kid finds a new friend".

It's alright but the execution always leaves me feeling slightly emptier than I feel I should once the game lands on its "The End" screen with that weird Kokiri jingle.

I do actually hold Ocarina of Time above MM in terms of raw storytelling although it's a more generic framework.

Wind Waker is the best one for me closely followed by the N64 games and Link's Awakening. Quite a lot of side-dialogue in Wind Waker reaffirms that Link is being dragged into his "destiny" and on second-playthroughs when you can read the Hylian text, the fish-gods all talk to his boat, the King of Red Lions in a cautious manner. "So, you really want to bring the boy into this?" and such. It all culminates in that fantastic endgame where you see the contrast between the King and Ganon and the game finally reveals that the Zelda mythos and the imposed destinies it brings does more harm than good. In a sense it deconstructs Zelda and ends on a freeing note, that the future for all children belongs to them and not the guardians who grew up in a different time. It's such a universal idea and not something you see as the "main theme" that often in storytelling, at least not in a heroic fantasy. It ends the game on a strong note.

I think when people keep saying this you're understandably thinking of WW Ganondorf but really, in a sense what you're asking for is just another retelling of Wind Waker then. Imagine if Ganondorf appeared 6 times as a complicated villain and each time his motivation is completely different. One time he's a thief who wanted to represent a poor people with might. Another time he's a tragic hero that was denied by gods. Another time he's an old man stuck in an infinite time loop that made him lose all he cared for. etc.

I just don't want Ganondorf to become an "idea-sponge", essentially. I think it's cool if BoTW just goes with the idea that this "Malice" swallowed up Ganondorf's corpse and reanimates it - then the characters of the story suggest the myth behind Ganondorf and his Gerudo roots, but the core of the story revolves around someone else than him. More than anything I would love another Zant but without ruining their agency at the 11th hour through Ganon.

Absolutely.. I'm a believer in the "Legend" part of LOZ... That there's no definitive story and each re-telling is dependent on the perspective of the time (in the game and our world). Disembodied Malice Ganon was exactly right for BOTW's story and gameplay.. As was WW's Ganon.

What I meant about complex I should've expanded to all the main characters. For me WW wasn't just that Ganon had his motivations explained and portrayed in a more human way this time.. It was also that every main character was not in total control of their destiny.. As well as the grey areas in Ganon's personality/story there was also ambiguity on the "good" side... KORL essentially using Link and "my daughter" Zelda for his own plan being the main theme there.

I would also love a new villain (though not like Zant, he was annoying imo) but guessing/hoping we have Ganondorf the man as opposed to the beast Ganon or some other monstrous version coming has me excited enough!

Nov 8, 2017
Twilight Princess story is the most memorable to me, but that probably says more about the fact that it was one of the first games I played after a 7 year break from videogames, thus it probably had more impact by default.

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Wind Waker has the best plot and best versions of the main trio while Majora's Mask has the best overall storytelling and side characters, tackling a greater amount of themes. For me they are 1a and 1b in the series for story, with Link's Awakening coming in third.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Absolutely.. I'm a believer in the "Legend" part of LOZ... That there's no definitive story and each re-telling is dependent on the perspective of the time (in the game and our world). Disembodied Malice Ganon was exactly right for BOTW's story and gameplay.. As was WW's Ganon.
I do see each game as a reboot moreso than I view them as continuous storytelling. That being said I obviously think of BoTW2 as the same canon as before.

I really view the franchise that way. I think of Toon Link games as one canon, but one that strangely tapped into Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask due to those having the same script-writer who was obviously concerned with their own canon. Wind Waker, Majora's Mask and OoT = One canon <=> in the grand scheme: "A myth (so we don't have to go crazy remembering everything that ever happened!)" And that isn't a problem. By doing this Nintendo allows for new blood and new spins on what makes Zelda what it is. But I do view the N64 games and WW as being the same canon. TP also tried to do something similar but it ended up feeling more like references than real canon.

PKthndr

Oct 25, 2017
Including all the side stuff I'd say Majora's Mask, but Wind waker has by far the best and most interesting main plot in the series.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
This is hard. LA, MM, WW and TP all have great stories in my opinion and I can't really choose one over the other, but if I had to probably LA. After those 4 eh who knows, but people voting BoTW is a big ole lol.