• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
akqosj5juhv51.jpg

got it from the super best friends subreddit.

I will admit, I'm only 25 but this does make me feel old...

(Technically FFX will be 20 years old next year but still)

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Nah, I gotta pretty decent grasp on time

Crazy how fast graphics progressed though, it's shocking that those two games are only a decade apart

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
I pictured FFIX in my head, and it turns out that it was actually almost exactly 20 years ago (released Nov 2000 in NA), so would fit better in this image anyways.

Also it's insane to me that FFIX came out just a year before FFX, and yet we're here hoping we get FFXVI by the end of 2021. Crazy how fast development was back in the day and how slow it is nowadays.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
Man, I hate Wakka so much.

Yeah, it's crazy to think how fast time passes by. Whenever I replay an old game this feeling hits me every time.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Well, my mind was pretty close. I imagined FFIX when I thought 20 years ago. X is just a tiny bit startling but it's easy to reconcile when I stop and think about it.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Also it's insane to me that FFIX came out just a year before FFX, and yet we're here hoping we get FFXVI by the end of 2021. Crazy how fast development was back in the day and how slow it is nowadays.

And VIII came out the year before IX. We had VIII in 1999, IX in 2000, X in 2001, and XI in 2002.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
No. No, I actually have a pretty firm grasp on this one for whatever reason. I don't know if it's because I'm way into video games or what. It doesn't hit the same as the movie and music memes.

I know what video games looked like 10, 20, and 30 years ago without much problem. Strange to think about.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
And VIII came out the year before IX. We had VIII in 1999, IX in 2000, X in 2001, and XI in 2002.

Took the Wikipedia article timeline for the releases, I also added FFX-2, FF14 2.0 (ARR), Heavnesward, Stormblood, Shadowbringers, and also FF13-2 and Lightning Returns.

reDjFlX.png

I know some will consider it cheating but if you look at it like this... It really isn't that bad.

Even if XVI doesn't make 2021, Expansion 4 for FFXIV will be there.

Makoto Yuki

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Still my favorite franchise after all these years, I started in 1999.

This and Pokemon games really made my childhood so memorable.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Took me a few seconds to recognize the top. I immediately recognize the bottom from Final Fantasy X. My favorite soundtrack, next to IX and VI. I still need to crack my SNES and play Final Fantasy VI again. Its been years since I played VI - X.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think that really applies to era. Seems like a pretty decent amount of older folks are on here. Personally I'm 40 and remember paying 80-90$ for final fantasy 3 (6) on snes and rushing from work to pick up FF7 at Babbage's on release day...

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
97-01 (or 03) was amazing. The wait for FF12 was the harbinger. If you aren't interested in MMOs or wacky spinoffs each wait is an eternity.

20 years ago the most recent FF for the US was 8. I remember mocking Squall for having two belts. I could not have imagine what the future would bring... in terms of belts and zippers.

Last edited:

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Took the Wikipedia article timeline for the releases, I also added FFX-2, FF14 2.0 (ARR), Heavnesward, Stormblood, Shadowbringers, and also FF13-2 and Lightning Returns.

reDjFlX.png

I know some will consider it cheating but if you look at it like this... It really isn't that bad.

Even if XVI doesn't make 2021, Expansion 4 for FFXIV will be there.

I've been playing FXIV for 10 years already... Huh, that's flown by.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
FFX feels 20 years old primarily because of how much cultural dominance the series has lost since then.

Fingers crossed for XVI though, I love what I've seen so far.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
Is that true though? I guess it's hard cause FF1 (1987) - FFX (2001) were all turnbased, FF11, 12 weren't but then the FF13 trilogy (2009 - 2014) were all turnbased, right?

XIII and XIII-2 are definitely in the weird middle ground between action and turn based, where there's an element of timing and speed but your interaction with the combat is still entirely through menus.

Lightning Returns is 100% an action RPG though.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I played Final Fantasy 1 when it was new 30 years ago! It was my third rpg on the NES, but the one I liked the best because it had the most story and best music (IMO). It eventually got surpassed by Dragon Warrior IV, though...Square should have brought over FF 2 and 3 to the US to give those a chance to defend the Final Fantasy honor!

I'm probably being pedantic, but only FF1-3 and 10 are turn-based. FF4-9, 12, and 13 are all ATB.

There are two action FF games as of 2020, FF15 and FF7R.
Personally I consider ATB turn-based, it's just that the turns can overlap. They aren't action rpgs at all.

Aug 4, 2020
FFX was my first FF and JRPG. Was blown away by the designs and presentation. Gameplay took a while to learn. Forgot to upgrade the speargrid for like 4 hours.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Been playing since I rented FFII US on snes, got in trouble by my parents for the late charges cuz I kept it too long, saved money and bought a copy. I think that was close to 30 years ago.

Oct 28, 2017
In both they are menu based turn based games so I am happy with either.

Give me that gameplay over the FF16 that has strayed so far from that formula I didn't even want to finish the tutorial.

And then GameStop wouldn't take FF16 as a trade in so it was a complete waste of money.

HiroTSK5

One Winged Slayer
Nov 4, 2017
What's funny about this picture is that I played X before I played IV since my first experience with IV was the GBA version.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
nah... i think this may have been true maybe 5 years ago? but we're too far gone now. and i've been playing these shits since renting fucking mystic quest from blockbuster lol. so a long-ass time ago