• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Been thinking a lot lately since I've been depressed and thinking about 2018 makes me feel more optimistic. 2018 was a horrible year , stuck in a job I hated , barely able to pay the rent , had my car repossessed , almost became homeless ,etc , it was rough , sometimes I still can't believe I somehow overcame all that stuff.

iXenon

Sep 22, 2019
2019. Started snorting coke. Wasn't treating my anxiety and depression so I was making self destructive decisions since I thought I was gonna die at any moment (Cocaine side effects didn't help with this). Got a DUI, blew a 0.19. Tried getting sober off alcohol. Failed. Went to rehab. I'm four months sober but this year has felt like five

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
2011. Substance abuse, mental illness, toxic relationships. Ruined/lost my career, my house, everything.

I'm amazed I made it. Everything I owned could fit in a trash bag.

Took a while to dig out, but things got better

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Man, there's so many to choose from. 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2012-2019...

The more recent years are probably worse but I'll go with 2004, since it had the whammy of me being very sick without knowing why (ended up being fibromyalgia), a hospitalization because I wanted to kill myself, a continued crush on a dude who couldn't possibly love me back, most of my friends abandoned me (partly due to college being over and partly due to the illness) and I spent very long, very lonely days by myself in severe pain.

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In 1999 I went through a pretty bad breakup and had my nose broken pretty severely. (For clarification, these were completely unrelated events.)
In 2013 I was unemployed for a good stretch and ended up with shingles.

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
Probably 2017. One of my best friends was into me and more or less wasted months of her life settings things up in a way to try and get me to like her and stalked me for ages the entirety of it once I realized she was literally anime-tier crazy. Wasn't particularly fun. On top of that I realized I have no idea what to do with my life and kinda just went deadpan.

Unlucko.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

My cats died, my grandfather died, my social life is in the gutter, I've gained weight and am constantly tired and depressed.

Before 2019 it was 2018 and 2017 before that.

I expect 2020 to be worse when I turn 30. Adulthood sucks.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This year has been the worst year of my life.

Working a dead end job in Japan from 8am to 9pm with crap pay and 0 career prospects. I can't do anything, I'd buy like a new pair of shoes and for the rest of the month I'm budgeting hard-core.

I'm supposed to have a much better job lined up but I don't know if I really got the job.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
Thats a tough one. No one year really stands out as bad for me. If it's just a 12 mont stretch then I'd go with March 2008 to March 2009. That period I was very overweight (120kgs perhaps?) and got laid off in the economic downturn. From April 2009 is when I moved to Japan though so not all of 2009 was bad.

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
2019 is my worst year so far. Haven't gone back to the therapist and I don't believe I can do so since my depression and mental health issues are gonna stay for the rest of my miserable life. Didn't get a job. I've been isolating myself a lot to my room lately.

Hell, I'll be surprised if I even manage to survive past this year.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Hmmm... Would have to go all the way back to when I was 6 (1991) and my brother was 'kidnapped'.

I put that in quotes because while technically true I later found it was a lot more complicated as our mother lost custody of him to his father (technically he is a half-brother- same mother, different dads)by not showing up in court and his dad just showed up one day and took him. I believe my mother was also in the wrong for moving out of state lines with him as they were supposed to be sharing custody.

However, I was only 6 at the time and he literally went missing after I sent him out to a friend's house to collect toys for a big G.I. Joe battle.
Everything is pretty fuzzy but we were basically in the dark for about a week thinking he was completely missing, when it turns out his father had just taken him back to Kentucky. The entire experience fucked me up something bad and I was stuck in counseling for a couple of years.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

It was so bad that it became my BC/AD year; I judge time in my life based on how far it is to that date.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I say congrats to the ones who managed to overcome their down and for those who haven't , trust me there is something good in the end of that road , if even I could overcome it , you will as well.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
2011 through 2013

i wished i was dead every day and would go between crying, drugs, sitting in my car in the work parking lot screaming and laying in bed hours past when work started

i've never really been that close to suicide though, closest would be a few occasions when i had a ton of benzos in my house and considered taking them all but i had cats by that point so you know

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
2013 probably purely based on the fact that it's the closest I've ever come to actually killing myself, then stopping myself and stewing in depression for a while after the realization that I'm the only one around to stop me should it ever come to that left me feeling pretty isolated.

2018 kinda sucked too but for different reasons that didn't really have to do with depression, more just anxiety symptoms manifesting and wrecking my post-college vacation.

Oct 29, 2017
It's wonderful to see people here who ended up getting right back into the game after such bumps in their life stories. Cheers to all of you!

For me, it's probably the year before I entered high school. 2009, I think? I was a mess, pretty much hanging out with the wrong crowd and doing not very nice things. It's gotten pretty bad later in my life at times, but it's always in the form of "spikes" or short crises, if you will, that I manage to fix in a relatively short amount of time. That year was a complete clusterfuck, though, even though it ended up positively (I'd like to think) shaping me into what I am nowadays.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
2017. I was diagnosed with testicular cancer and I dropped out of college as a result.

Fortunately the cancer has been gone for two years, I got back into college, and I've never felt better.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2014-2015. Graduated college with no job lined up and no plan. I have a history degree, so no logical career paths. Took a dead end data entry job for a natural gas drilling company that I got laid off from after 5 months (company basically shut down). Felt like all my friends from HS and college were beginning to settle into nice careers.

Then I was unemployed for 4 months (I was living with my parents this whole time so far, so at least I didn't have to worry about food, rent, bills, etc.), but I was feeling really aimless, depressed, and worthless. My parents put a ton of pressure on me to find employment. In retrospect, I think they were just worried about my future, but the "tough love" didn't help my mental state at all. After applying to many random jobs and getting rejected from all of them, I took a soul sucking retail job at the local Office Max.

During this time, I decided to go back to school for a masters degree. I applied and got accepted into the program that I wanted, so at least there was light at the end of the tunnel, but in general that period of time really sucked for me.

Last edited:

louie

Oct 29, 2017
It's hard to pick between a year out of 2005 to 2011, which was a period I was suffering most with being mentally unwell.

I've had some less than stellar years since, but even at their worst, nothing close to that period.

chaostrophy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2017 because of December 9 2017. That year was actually good until then. But that day my best friend was killed in an accident. I still think about him all the time. I just have to keep going.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God, I... I'd argue it's probably 2009 and 2010, as the issues kinda ran into the two years. That was the worst height of my anxiety, panic attack disorder, started to literally lose my sanity (was hearing and feeling things that weren't there, and the only thing keeping me from crossing the line is I knew this wasn't real, but god damn did it not feel right to me), and took being in an impatient for about 2-4 weeks at a program (thankfully not a hospital, but other mental health program). Same year, finally got on disability, some more resources, and I've been generally... doing better..ish?

I won't say I'm ever good, as I'm still struggling with figuring out more aspects of my disability, as I recently just got tested for some stuff that's now officially documented, including my inability to process thoughts on a quick scale, jumble up information, memory difficulties, and among other things. Though other things aren't officially documented (though noted at least), such as my spacial recognition and trouble with direction issues, as well as my increasingly developing photo-sensitivity issues. Still, I absolutely say 2009-2010 was the worst two years of my life, ever.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2019 I gave up a job I loved In the gaming and entertainment industry because I was only making $75k a year in LA which was unsustainable and took a job which paid way better but left me personally unfulfilled and just fucking bored. I gained about 50 lbs from pure stress of a long commute and over indulging in high caloric adult beverages.

I quit after nine months because my wife got relocated to SF Bay Area and I now have a job I really love...but the company is doing tons of layoffs; supposedly we're safe since my team is a niche skill set that the organization really needs right now to help trim costs but you never know.

#firstworldproblems

Oct 27, 2017
2019 sucks more than ever for me. So far the future looks very bleak. Not just for me, but for everyone and everything.

Some people think the world ended in 2012, and we're currently in a different timeline, which is a funny theory. But it seems like that was the last year I genuinely felt happy and optimistic. I graduated highschool around that time, discovered the herb, went to a lot of concerts and festivals. It was a great part of my life. I was having so much fun and I didn't care about what came next. I was living in the moment. I was going to the gym, skating and hanging with friends everyday, etc. I even solidified my passion for producing music during this period.

Eventually, I got my "priorities" together, around 2014. I forced myself to quit smoking and focus on school. I finally transferred to a 4-year university, which was an amazing accomplishment, but I lost so much of my identity in the process. Today, I feel like such a jaded version of who I used to be when I was more careless and actually enjoying life. I've been so depressed, anxiety through the roof, barely any friends, nothing to look forward to, etc. I don't even have motivation to lift weights or produce music anymore, because I'm always bogged down with work.

Sounds cliche, but money doesn't buy happiness in the long-term; authentic life experiences do.

It's like you expect your life to improve when you "clean up your act", but you're actually more miserable and insecure after attempting to adjust yourself to meet the expectations of your parents and society. Peer pressure sucks. I don't want to work a boring 9-5 office job for the rest of my life. I want to make music and be the creative individual that I am, but there are so many forces driving me away from my true nature.

Last edited:

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Probably 2015, but things have turned around wonderfully through both perseverance and luck, and 2017, 2018, and 2019 have each been likely the best years of my life respectively.

Oct 28, 2017
2008 or 2009. Got married in Vegas in 08 to my then long time on again off again gf of 10 years.

Probably 2009 though as she ultimately led to me getting fired from my job of 8+ years.

Had to move back in with parents for next 3 years, file bankruptcy, file for divorce, get my old job back, and finally move in with my fiancé in 2013.

Word to the wise. Make SURE you know the person in and out before you get married.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
2014-2015. Graduated college with no job lined up and no plan. I have a history degree, so no logical career paths. Took a dead end data entry job for a natural gas drilling company that I got laid off from after 5 months (company basically shut down). Felt like all my friends from HS and college were beginning to settle into nice careers.

Then I was unemployed for 4 months (I was living with my parents this whole time so far, so at least I didn't have to worry about food, rent, bills, etc.), but I was feeling really aimless, depressed, and worthless. My parents put a ton of pressure on me to find employment. In retrospect, I think they were just worried about my future, but the "tough love" didn't help my mental state at all. After applying to many random jobs and getting rejected from all of them, I took a soul sucking retail job at the local Office Max.

During this time, I decided to go back to school for a masters degree. I applied and got accepted into the program that I wanted, so at least there was light at the end of the tunnel, but in general that period of time really sucked for me.
Wow almost the same as me. But mine is 2015-2018

Melhadf

Dec 25, 2017
2009 is my all time worst year. It's the year my son died. And still something that I'm learning to cope with.

2019 is shaping up a close second, suspected occluding lesions on brain focuses your mind on death and what is actually important in life.

Oct 27, 2017
When I got fired from my first real career job because I was too stressed, couldn't find another job (I have now) and felt like I had no purpose in life.

Oct 27, 2017
2003-2004,jobless,homeless and sleeping in my car for 8 months and through the midwest winter. Fucking sucked. Survived it tho and vowed to never end up in that position again,great lessons learned.

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
2007 was the year I was most suicidal as a child. In college my suicidality peaked around 2014 when I started having intrusive thoughts of suicide. I've dealt with suicidality before and after but that shit was kinda scary. NOT being able to stop thinking about eating a gun was a new experience for me. My physical self-harm peaked at around 2015.

2019's been no fuckin' picnic-- nothing after 2014 has-- but in retrospect it's not as bad as it's been. It's just... rough. Real fuckin' rough.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
2007 when my sister died, 2 friends killed themselves and one of my best friends shot my brothers best friend and another close friend tried to kill me.

Or 2016. I spent the rest of that time since the trying to clean my life up and made a new life with someone. Life was good for once then just to lose it all and then fall into a pit of despair and almost drank myself to death before getting suckerpunched and clapped my head off the curb a month later and was in a coma for a few days and was fucked up for about 6 months after that. Haven't quite felt the same since then.

The former was scary, sad and stressful. The latter was more depressing and internalized. Both times were about equally as bad.

Things are pretty good at the moment though

Last edited:

Raskol

Sep 5, 2018
This year. Debilitating GI issues that have made it impossible to work or do much of anything recently. Having a colonoscopy soon and hoping it isn't bad news. My mom had a heart attack a couple months ago as well, so I've been thinking about mine and my loved ones' mortality quite a lot lately. But suffering is the norm in life, not the exception, so what can you do but accept it?

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
at the end of 2017 my girlfriend/best friend/person i planned my entire future around left me suddenly after 3 years and basically ghosted me. 1 week after that I was run over in the street by a drunk driver while on the way to see Blade Runner 2049 and take my mind off of my heartbreak for a few hours. 1 month later I woke up in the hospital from a medically induced coma. My legs and right hip were shattered, my skull was fractured and my brain was damaged, there was a hole cut into my throat and a tube shoved down it. I didn't know what happened or where I was. I couldn't talk or even write messages to my family. I also forgot my girlfriend broke up with me so I had to go through that again.

I was in the hospital for 2 months. when I got out in 2018, that was the start of the lowest point of my life. I basically needed to rebuild myself from the ground up both physically and emotionally. There was a lot embarrassing myself related to my ex. lots of pain in physical therapy (took 6 months to walk again, 8 to walk unassisted) and the worst depression i've experienced.

if it weren't for my new girlfriend and best friend who was there with me the whole time, I wouldn't have made it through.
trying, failing to write. it was just scribbles lol.
79BE921AF8CD4C02AE0C367A65FA7365_1516767407550_4852017_ver1.0_640_360.jpg