• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's the Most You Would Pay for a Disc-Based Playstation (1, 2, & 3) Emulator on PS5 (in USD)?

• $15 - $25

Votes: 46 6.6%
  • $25 - $40

Votes: 37 5.3%
  • $40 - $60

Votes: 83 11.8%
  • $60 - $100

Votes: 124 17.7%
  • $100 - $200

Votes: 69 9.8%
  • $200+... Hey you'd pay that for a good old console these days!

Votes: 64 9.1%
  • Pay for an emulator? I'll emulate for free on my PC, thanks.

Votes: 279 39.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
So people like myself got their hopes up about backwards compatibility on PS5 and Sony hasn't said boo about it. It's looking at this point like it was all rumor and scuttlebutt. Either that, or a shared psychic fever dream, distributed from the future by the nascent, as-yet-hidden, sentient AI to be developed in secret by Ken Kutaragi.

source.gif

I can't stop seeing the over-matte on his neck there...

Anyway... it's no surprise that long-time Playstation gamers were never going to get what they want anyway: the ability to play their already-purchased libraries by just popping them in. After all, not even XBox gamers, with all that platform's progress and efforts towards backwards compatibility this generation, got that: probably a bit more than half of my 360 games will play on my XBox One, and just a smattering of my OG Xbox library came over. If it didn't have "Star Wars" on the box, it didn't have much of a chance.

ExaltedSeparateBabirusa-size_restricted.gif

Oh no, of course not! Never any love for Galleon, eh?

This is of course all because of licensing, and all the renegotiations necessary to allow MS to be able to offer these games over their digital storefronts for purchase, providing some revenue that can justify all the efforts made. And of course the number of purchases of Galleon will not rival those of something with Star Wars in the name. Arguably, this generation, backwards compatibility became an effort for Microsoft more so because it was a feature lacking in Sony's offering, than for the staggering revenue they made selling 360 and OG Xbox games. Just speculating on that tho.

The knock-on effect of this is that collectors and long-time fans of a platform don't really get what they want: the ability to play their current library legally on current hardware. Also, when it comes to software availability and preservation, nothing obscure or weird (i.e. something that won't guaranteed sell again) gets pulled forward into compatibility. There are some exceptions. You can play Batman: Arkham Origins on an Xbox One through backwards compatibility even though you can't buy the game through the XBox Store digitally: only the disc will work for you. (Anyone know any more of these?)

But, largely, if the game can't be relicensed for sale on current digital storefronts, you won't be able to play said game on current platform hardware, legally. So, retro platform fans roll to PC emulators, to really enjoy their old libraries. And somehow the number of people who prefer and use this solution... doesn't seem like a lost opportunity to platform holders? Isn't money left on the table?

mysigh9z0g941.jpg

How much revenue could you move by actually giving collectors and long-time fans what they want? Why not sell us an officially-supported emulator, through the digital storefront, that is title-independent, runs our disc libraries, and is just a product on its own for us to buy? If it takes a certain amount of revenue to cover the cost of just such an effort, isn't it a conceivable business strategy to place this niche-software at a price-point that covers those costs?

This must, on some level, at least be conceivably legal from a licensing level because we've seen Sony do it before with software emulation of PS2 software in mid-generation PS3's like the 80GB, as well as Nintendo supporting original DS games on 3DS, GBA games on DS, etc. I'm aware of some laser and licensing issue with media, CDs on PS1 and DVDs on PS2, etc. Yet, I'm convinced the only reason it isn't offered flat-rate is that all companies are under directive to turn software into subscription-based revenue streams, and they must offer a library to get consumers to go for that, and that takes them back to all the software relicensing.

They can still do that, and still offer a straight-up emulator package those of us with libraries could buy. If they did, what would you pay for it?

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The possibility all depends on if there is even a lens in the PS5 to support reading CDs, which isnt a sure thing.

Spudstercool

Jul 14, 2019
There isn't a price you could put on it for me. It's why I'm getting the Analogue Pocket. I want to see my old PS3 games run at a higher framerate or resolution.

Performing hardware emulation of the PS3 on the Analogue Pocket is very unlikely to be honest with you. There's viability for emulating most 2D consoles, as well as perhaps the early generation of 3D consoles however.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
If it legit would play all disc based PS1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 titles without compatability issues, I'd buy one for 800€

The og american PS3 is a really cool machine because of full BC but sadly it's also one of those consoles that won't last very long.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I can't imagine a scenario where I would pay money for an emulator like that, but it would be a major factor tipping me towards PS5 rather than Xbox Series X. Right now, Microsoft's backward compatibility effort is one of their strongest advantages, and I would love to see Sony attempt to match or even surpass the excellent jobs Microsoft have done.

Quite a few delisted games are BC on Xbox One btw, there's the older Forza Horizon games, Driver: San Francisco. There's even Hitman Sniper, the preorder bonus from Hitman Absolution, which is a standalone game available via BC, but has never to the best of my knowledge been sold as a standalone game. Arkham Origins is different because it has never (I think) been sold digitally. Which I think Pure and Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy also fall under.

Deleted member 420

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd pay a lot if it ran everything as flawless as the Xbox BC stuff, even without the resolution and other enhancements.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd prefer it just be built in, but if it was a good emulator with high accuracy I'd be willing to throw down $30-40 for it. I'd be especially happy it if could run games at higher resolution like Xbox games on One X.

I'd also like all the digital classics I've already got to just work without having to pay for it.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
If Sony won't do it, I'll just wait for a FPGA core for my MiSTer.

It's PS2 that I really want.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Listen, as someone who isn't an especially computer savvy geek the whole concept of emulation on PC is extremely confusing. I'm a console gamer, I just wanna be able to shove my disc in and go. I'm also extremely attached to my old games and don't always like the changes that are made to remasters and remakes. If they made a PS5 where I could do that with my old PS2 & 3 games, I would be willing to pay p much anything they want as long as I could afford it.

Kyry

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be willing to pay different amounts for different variations of quality and convince.

I'd pay nothing at all for downloading a new executable the way the Xbox One does today for free.

For something like a PS1 Classic (Done right) with a one size fits all emulator repurposed for BC, I'd pay up to 100 dollars.

For something on par with an Analog product, i'll pay 200+.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I bought these PSClassic games on PSN before, I expect to be able to play the games that I buy. I shouldn't have to pay.

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would only pay for it if it allowed for some of these games to run MP servers again somehow. Otherwise, no. It should be included.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
We talking about full-fat, full feature enhanced emulation of all discs from all existing Playstations like OG PS3 fat? Memory card/save file compatibility via download or USB? Improved loading and enhanced graphics? I'd pay a good price for that.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
I have those consoles and a PC if I wanted emulation. I'd like hardware BC for convenience but I'm not going to buy it.

Deleted member 6263

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So people like myself got their hopes up about backwards compatibility on PS5 and Sony hasn't said boo about it. It's looking at this point like it was all rumor and scuttlebutt.
I'm confused. Because Sony hasn't talked about it much, it's just a rumor? Didn't Cerny already say hundreds of PS4 games would be BC? Or is this thread just focusing on PS1-3?

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I bought these PSClassic games on PSN before, I expect to be able to play the games that I buy. I shouldn't have to pay.

If I can throw my old OG Xbox games into my Series X and play them why would I pay for the same privilege on my PS5?

Also BC should just be a base function at this point but the fact that Sony has completely neglected it on PS4 gives me zero hope for it on PS5.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
If it ran everything and had the ability to improve games... I would pay a lot. It would add hundreds and hundreds of excellent games to the library on day one.

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not willing to pay Sony for the ability to play games I already paid them for and own. I'll emulate on PC if they didn't make it free.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
My PS3 died and I'd like a chance to revisit some of those games, yeah. Not sure I'd go over $40 or $60, though.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
... I am unclear as to what you mean by pay. Like, in addition to the console?

Which, if so, is bonkers. Just... include it in the console. Software, hardware, whatever, that should be standard in the console.

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Which, if so, is bonkers. Just... include it in the console. Software, hardware, whatever, that should be standard in the console.

yeah, I'd really like OP to explain the reasoning behind the assumption that this would have to be a paid feature in 2020 but not 2006.

dom

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
yeah, I'd really like OP to explain the reasoning behind the assumption that this would have to be a paid feature in 2020 but not 2006.
Because a full suite BC solution would be hardware based. OP wants all his games to work, not select games like Microsoft's solution.

OP
OP
imbarkus

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017

why would you even present the idea of charging for backwards compatibility? it should be free. why wouldn't it be?

Like, I'm not sure I could have mentioned the point any more than I did about how this whole effort needs to be underwritten by some source of revenue. Software and services cost money if you want them not to function like open source emulator software where, like it or not, you are compelled to be part of the vast, live QA team, at the very least.

Backwards compatibility may have proven to be a console-decision-making feature set in the past, but that's pretty much broken with both PS4 and Switch eschewing it to huge success. I've posited that Microsoft embracing it for brand loyalty and the amount of digital purchases of 360 and OG XBox games to be insufficient to the effort, if it involves renegotiating licenses for fresh digital sale.

But these companies would still need revenue to justify the effort. And if the feature is oft-requested but rarely-used, and not useful to move hardware, then the expense of packing it in makes no sense.

So, sell it separately. What's so crazy about BC as a software add-on? I'm basically asking for a software equivalent of this thing:

genesis_acc1.jpg

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
I would definitely pay for it. I'm hoping we actually get confirmation on this soon. It would be nice to at least know for sure that there is no hope so that I can move on lol.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
BC of actual generation is enough for me. Don't spend money on that and make new games please and thank you

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
Would pay a lot to have it all in one unit, still frustrated my fat full bc PS3 died a few years back.

Status
Not open for further replies.