• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
It's the near future. The claims of a galactic federation turned out to be true, and the ruling council said fuck it and decided to introduce themselves to humanity openly while extending an invitation to join. You have been given the honor of working in an interstellar supermarket at one of their bases. Of particular importance to your job is developing the planogram for the "Earth" section in the interstellar aisle of the store. The store is mainly comprised of goods from the founding worlds of the federation, of which Earth would not be one. This aisle is reminiscent of the international aisle in any Earthbound grocery store. In the USA, you might find most of the Asian and European goods in such an aisle.

More amusingly, international stores often have an American section that is chock full of junk food.

LftJnYc.jpg

Aside from their main purpose of providing variety to local shoppers who want to try something new, these sections also serve as a sort of comfort zone for visitors and expatriates.

Despite being a federation of space-faring species, they use essentially the same retail fixtures as on Earth. You get one side of this. There is no magic compact refrigeration tech, so you can only choose relatively shelf stable foods.

Gondola-Shelving-Lozier-Island-Two-Sections.jpg

As the retail representative of all humanity, what food goods would you stock?

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Rice and a few different flavoured sauces basically feels like a necessity.

Whiskey is a good pick as well.

And I'd throw some small chocolate bars in there.

Oh, and peanut butter!

Oct 27, 2017
Marshmallow fluff.

i don't know anyone who buys it, but it is apparently in every US section of grocery stores in other countries. Let's keep the confusion going on a galactic level!

OP
OP
DarthWoo

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
Marshmallow fluff.

i don't know anyone who buys it, but it is apparently in every US section of grocery stores in other countries. Let's keep the confusion going on a galactic level!
Apparently it sells like hotcakes over the holidays, so it must be involved in some sorts of baking. Also with yams or something, but I'm not into those.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
We need some fucking potato representation, so I guess I'll go with those canned, peeled ones, just for the sake of the shelf life. Never actually tried canned potatoes, though.

EDIT: Do canned potatoes even last longer than the regular kind? Should I just go with ordinary potatoes in a bag? Maybe I should read up on what I propagate.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Rice is probably the most reflective answer.

The correct answer though is cheese. We do a good job of cheese, I feel.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Cheeses.
Breads.
Smoked meats.
Bacon.
Berries of all kinds.
Bananas.
Apples
Oranges.
Eggs.
Rice.
Milk Teas
Coffees.
Pizza
Taco/Burrito stuff
Colas

These are the foods that I just see being used the most by our species or would be the most appealing things we sell that are unlikely to be the same anywhere and figure would go over quite well.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Freedom.
Jello.
Clapping.
Whisky.
Guns.
That Parmesan powdered stuff that smells like sick.
Oreos.
Kit-Kats.
Printer Ink.

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
Annie's Mac & Cheese (Parmesan)
Takis (Hot Chili Pepper Lime)
White Claw (Variety Pack)
Peanut Butter M&Ms
S'mores Pop Tarts
BBQ Lays Chips
Some sort of at home Coffee Blend. I get Starbucks typically but there are definitely better options, I guess it depends on the Aliens' budgets.

Do we get a frozen section as well?

In that case:

Ore Ida Tater Tots
DiGiornos thin crust
Uncrustables Original
Ben & Jerry's Phish Food

That's probably a solid representation of Earth (American bias yes)

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Worldwide staples, I suppose. Nothing specific, but certainly rice, soy, some kind of meat, maybe. Cheese, milk, etc.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of those El Paso taco kits for that real Earth experience of taking something from one culture and transporting it to another by making it inferior -but still pretty good. Also, it's tacos.

barit

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Is Era becoming more and more a test ground for the full disclosur?

J/k everyone know Pringles would be the galactical besteller

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Rice
Onions
Garlic
A selection of bottled sauces
Bread
Salami
Oranges
Bananas
Strawberries