• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What is your favorite?

• Horizon Zero Dawn

Votes: 148 32.2%
  • Infamous Second Son

Votes: 8 1.7%
  • Death Stranding

Votes: 65 14.1%
  • Days Gone

Votes: 21 4.6%
  • Ghost of Tsushima

Votes: 93 20.2%
  • Spiderman

Votes: 125 27.2%

• Total voters

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Haven't played Ghosts yet but will. For me Horizon became my favorite new IP and Forbidden West my most anticipated game behind next God of War. Just an utterly delightful experience.

special props to Days Gone which I didn't experience until PS5 and was just great. Really hope we get that Bend sequel!

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
I've played all of them, and loved all of them too.

I really did not expect to like Days Gone or Death Stranding, but ended up loving them.
Especially Death Stranding - wow. I was addicted to building roads and zip networks.

Oct 27, 2017
I loved Days Gone, Death Stranding, Gravity Rush 2, Ghost of Tsushima and Spider Man.

Will choose Days Gone cause it is the underdog. All the games had good things so it is hard to pick one or the other. Though I gotta say, Death Stranding was very cool, it made walking around in an empty world so damn fun to explore.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Death Stranding is the best game of the generation.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Since Gravity Rush 2 was as forgotten in the choices presented here as it was by Sony themselves, Horizon.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played Days Gone or Ghost but of the rest, Death Stranding blew right past 'em.

It had something to offer that felt fresh for a genre that I already found tired heading into the gen let alone after they clogged it up.
The world itself is meaningful in DS, how you approach it presents interesting planning, thought for how you'll get across it and a host of systems working with each other to make that otherwise filler act of going from point a to point b in most open world maps meaningful in itself. Definitely has a number of issues and underexplored concepts, but it really surprised me after I expected something I'd dislike.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly I'm one of the few that voted for Infamous Second Son just because I had so much fun with the core gameplay in that game. I love the visuals and the fact that it's essentially a third person shooter with some pretty crazy movement options. I really enjoyed it.

My favourite is God of War though. I guess the interpretation of what defines an open world game is fairly subjective, but for me God of War is most definitely an open world game. It's environment isn't as open as some of the others, and it does feature more linear gameplay segments, but you're able to back track freely in the game. It's just not an open world with a checklist of random garbage for you to do, everything felt purposeful.

Ibuki

Feb 6, 2021
I had to look at the poll for a minute, but I was able to confirm that I liked Death Stranding more than Spidey so that got my vote. I haven't played Ghost of Tsushima yet, and I thought Days Gone was fine. Horizon was also good but definitely wasn't my favorite considering I dropped it a couple times before finally finishing it.

Aimi

self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 16, 2021
Death Stranding - Because I still remember so many details about that world: the topography; safehouse locations; where a river was shallow enough to traverse with or without tools; safe routes up and down mountains; even the player-placed bridges and the like became landmarks by which I could orient myself. The Balance mechanic while walking forced me to look at the world in detail, and as a result I came to remember and appreciate it for its beauty to an incredible extent.

Followed by Days Gone probably, because I really loved how it took the tried and true AAA open world design of camps and side quests and tying them, more often than not, to storylines and characters. To give it a piece of story, some relevance. I felt more compelled to complete everything in DG than I have in an open world game for years because it managed to make it seem like the people around me truly needed my help. It's one of the few open world games where I did take my time to listen to conversations going on in the camp.

3rd would be Tsushima because I was quite a fan of how its open world was full of random events, especially on the roads. Mongol patrols, supply caravans, hostage situations... felt very lively. Having the wind be what guides you felt really cool too. No waypoints also meant a great opportunity to get lost and find some unintentional hijinx and conflict along the way. There is some repetition, but the locations you discover are quite varied. There are bandit camps, but there are also little shrines to meditate at, cool platforming challenges, some beautifully quiet moments in the open world.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Horizon stands above the rest for me. Hard to believe that was Guerilla's first take on an open world game.

My expectations are through the roof for the sequel.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Horizon had the worst open world of all of those options...

Death Stranding was my favourite of those games.

Mana Latte

Banned
Jul 6, 2019
Days gone. I was pretty excited going into it even with the initial average reviews but I genuinely loved it. Not the best story by any means but i
Liked how it was laid out. Each area almost felt like a tv season to me. Plus the gameplay was fun and it had great scenery

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Went with Horizon.
I actually liked Infamous: Second Son a lot more than most people, though.
I didn't play Spider-Man because of a design choice that's one of my firm deal-breakers, but I forget which one it was.

RainerDrix

Oct 25, 2017
Long Island, NY
Death Stranding - Because I still remember so many details about that world: the topography; safehouse locations; where a river was shallow enough to traverse with or without tools; safe routes up and down mountains; even the player-placed bridges and the like became landmarks by which I could orient myself. The Balance mechanic while walking forced me to look at the world in detail, and as a result I came to remember and appreciate it for its beauty to an incredible extent.
100% agree, this is why Death Stranding is my pick. One of my most favorite games of all time too.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Horizon. It has a great lore to it and interesting gameplay, plus Aloy is great.

Worst is Death Stranding. I don't like the moment to moment gameplay, nor did I find the story or world worth it either.

Nov 4, 2017
Definitely Death Stranding for me. Then HZD, Tsushima and Spidey.

I feel like the general consensus on HZD has improved over time. Sure, there are a lot of legitimately bad parts such as human enemies and melee combat, but it seemed to cop a lot of flak at launch for just not being BotW. Now that it has had time to breathe, there seems to be more discussion about the strengths of the game. Personally I loved it, and can't wait for a sequel.

Death Stranding is my second favourite PS4 game after Bloodborne. I hope they make a PS5 patch for it.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Death Stranding. Because its the only game on that list that I've played.

I have Horizon, but I haven't played it yet. I probably should sometime.

Aladan

Dec 23, 2019
God of War is my number 1 and missing here.

Spider-Man, Days Gone, Horizon Zero Dawn, Ghost of Tsushima, The Last of Us 2, Uncharted 4 and Bloodborne are all equal for me.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
Days Gone is the only one that was too boring for me to finish so that's at the bottom of the list.

Spider-Man > Ghost of Tsushima > Death Stranding > Horizon >Infamous > Days Gone

Feb 9, 2018
Spider-Man.

Even though it starts to fall into the same "repetitive objectives checklist" style that defines so many open-world games (esp. Ubisoft ones), the pacing and traversal are great and the core gameplay/combat is so immensely satisfying. It's perhaps the most fun I've had with an open-world game since Crackdown way back in 2007. Also, I've only played the PS5 version, and that remaster was an amazing, spectacular game graphically as well.

Jul 1, 2020
Infamous: Second Son. It came out at the right time and I played it through twice and got the platinum. I was done with Horizon after the credits rolled as I had played it after the Frozen Wilds had released so I did all of that as well.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
All of them are fun and visually impressive, but also shallow and repetitive which is why those that overstay their welcome by being way too long and filled with low-quality bloat (ie: Ghost of Tsushima) aren't as good as they could have been

zolee

Oct 2, 2020
Spider-Man > inFamous > Horizon, played and platinumed all 3 of these, didn't play the other 3 yet

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
It's interesting how I loved the combat in almost all of those games (except for Day's Gone and Death Stranding). Normally I tend to find combat in open world games quite meh (Witcher 3, AC games... etc) but Ghost and Horizon in particular were a blast to play. And Spidey has the best traversal in a game since InFamous 2

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
1. Ghost of Tsushima. I just really liked it from visual perspective and loved the combat and storyline (for the most part).
2. Spider-Man. Miles' NYC narrowly inches out OG Spider-Man.
3. Horizon, but Open World itself, didn't dig the combat.
4. Second Son and First Light.
5. Days Gone. Wasn't a huge fan.
6. Death Standing - Didn't play it. Hence why I put it last.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Spider-Man was the most fun to traverse but Horizon had the best story and combat of them all. Focusing on archery and fighting big ass enemies is a breath of fresh air in open world games.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Horizon for sure, it has my favorite ranged combat ever, it's super fun.

It's also a extremely good looking game, it's honestly insane (especially while in combat with all the effects, even more at night time). The story got me hooked too, more than usual.

Runner up would be Spider-Man, it probably has my favorite traversal ever. The combat is fun and it does its job, I was surprised by how good the story/characters were.

inFamous SS/FL were a good time overall.

Haven't played the rest, not interested in DG but I'll play GOT and DS when I can.

darthkarki

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
Horizon Zero Dawn and it's not even close, that's now my favorite game of all time. :) One of the best original sci-fi universes ever, incredible story, excellent characters, and addicting gameplay. Still can't get over how good it feels to play - the controls are just so smooth and responsive and the animations are almost unbelievable.

Ghost of Tsushima and Spider-Man are both excellent also.

Wasn't very taken with Second Son. Felt it was a bit of a letdown after Infamous 1 & 2.

It's been a good gen.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Loved almost every single one of these games (really liked Days Gone, and mostly liked Infamous), but it's pretty easily Horizon to me. That game feels particularly special to me, and the sequel is easily in my top 3 most anticipated games of anything announced at this time (right after Halo Infinite and BOTW2).

I think I'd rank them like this:

Horizon > Death Stranding > Spider-Man > Ghost of Tsushima > Days Gone > Infamous Second Son

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Death Stranding easily. I don't really like Sonys open world stuff all that much.