• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Had lunch with a co-worker recently, and she disclosed that she inherited $130,000 (in a savings account) when she was 19 years old (grandparent passed away and left that amount to her and each of her siblings). This came up in a discussion about estate taxes, so it was quite relevant.

Think back to when you were 19 years old (or, if younger, imagine what your life could be like when you're 19). What would you do with this money? It seems like the kind of money that if invested properly could ensure your easy retirement without ever contributing anything else ever again. It also seems like the kind of money that'd buy you a nice car or make a significant down-payment on a home. You could also spend it on college tuition, or blow it on beer and video games.

So, seriously, what do you think you would do with it if you were 19? Feel free to also answer what you'd do with it at whatever age you are now, but I'm particularly curious to see if my co-worker handled the money in a method that is common among people that respond here, or if she handled it significantly worse / better.

EDIT: Imagine you're 19, at that time, with the knowledge you had as a 19 year old at that time.

Last edited:

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I would have wasted every penny like an idiot, but might have gotten lucky and bought a house.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
You could go to college and get out with not too much debt. Is this one of those "$100k is rich" threads? Depending on where you live in America, 130k really isn't that much. You definitely wouldn't be set for life.

Oct 27, 2017
OKC
i would've absolutely done some dumb shit like spend $50k on a car, buy a ton of music equipment, and then try to live off the rest until I ran out

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
Help out my parents

In my country that sum is huge, I would be in for a comfortable life if I invest that properly.

OP
OP
Soda

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
You could go to college and get out with not too much debt. Is this one of those "$100k is rich" threads? Depending on where you live in America, 130k really isn't that much

No, it's mostly because I think my co-worker handled it surprisingly well for a teenager, and I'm curious to see what others feel they'd do.

Me? I'd probably have invested most of it, but kept some to help cover cost of living while in college.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I knew a guy who got a large-ish inheritance when he was about that old.

Blew it all on video games, cars, parties, etc

RSTEIN

Nov 13, 2017
I would donate it all to fighting climate change. Any other option is IMMORAL and you seriously need to reevaluate your life if you choose to spend it on anything else.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
At the time I would have spent it like an idiot.

If I had my current sensibilities, I would probably keep like 10k to spend and save/invest the rest.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
You could go to college and get out with not too much debt. Is this one of those "$100k is rich" threads? Depending on where you live in America, 130k really isn't that much. You definitely wouldn't be set for life.
100k saves at 19 is significantly different then a 100k salary while paying expenses. 100k is a fuck ton. That's a massive boost to start ones life.

I would have purchased a house with it as a down payment.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine at the time, would have used it for college, a car, and might have moved out into apartment.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Had lunch with a co-worker recently, and she disclosed that she inherited $130,000 (in a savings account) when she was 19 years old (grandparent passed away and left that amount to her and her siblings). This came up in a discussion about estate taxes, so it was quite relevant.

Think back to when you were 19 years old (or, if younger, imagine what your life could be like when you're 19). What would you do with this money? It seems like the kind of money that if invested properly could ensure your easy retirement without ever contributing anything else ever again. It also seems like the kind of money that'd buy you a nice car or make a significant down-payment on a home. You could also spend it on college tuition, or blow it on beer and video games.

So, seriously, what do you think you would do with it if you were 19? Feel free to also answer what you'd do with it at whatever age you are now, but I'm particularly curious to see if my co-worker handled the money in a method that is common among people that respond here, or if she handled it significantly worse / better.
I'd probably invest it immediately into something that can get me a safety net so long term us bonds (5-20 years)/g7 investment, and use the rest for just living life, and or maybe school? I would not have bought a car nor a house as you'd literally not be able to get a job at that age to pay for mortgage when it comes around nor will it be any easy lol.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
100k saves at 19 is significantly different then a 100k salary while paying expenses. 100k is a fuck ton. That's a massive boost to start ones life.

I would have purchased a house with it as a down payment.

I mean, in Bay Area that much money would last you maybe a decade tops, probably less if you're not living frugally. You couldn't buy a house and it's not even a very solid chunk towards a down payment. It all depends on where you live.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
At 19?

I would have saved it for the future

Was kind in a situation like that though not 19 but more mid 20s (not anymore of course) since I used it to buy a home ;p

Small Red Boy

â–˛ Legend â–˛
May 9, 2019
I was thinking what kind of person I was when I was 19, until I relize that... I am 19 lmao. Probably I'd buy a house and pay for University. And invest in something I guess

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
When I was 19? Fuck, done some stupid shit but also would have put at least half into something smart. My parents were really great about teaching me about finances early on.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea. Probably bought some stupid shit and blown it all by the time I got done with college.

with the wisdom I have now, I would invest it all in retirement.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
$130,000 wouldn't have changed my plans that much. That's not "spend on frivolous stuff" money. That's "pay for college" money.

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on if my parents knew about it, if they did they'd prob force me to use it smartly
If they didn't I'd prob fuck it up

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Probably would have kept a bit for myself and the rest would have paid for college and gone into investments.

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017
Would have been a mix. Would have invested some, saved some in CDs, probably moved out and found a place with too high rent and spent it on school, games and smoking/drinking.

Was more skeptical of the stock market, so might not have put too much into it (this would have been 2000, so right around .com crash).

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
Probably would had paid into my college and realized years later that I should had thrown it into an index fund to use for retirement or a down payment. 40+ years of growth in an index fund with a starting point of 130k? You probably wouldn't have to put much of your own salary into a 401k if anything at all.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Honestly I wouldve just saved it. I dont like to spend money and even when I was 19 was pretty frugal. Probably wouldve given some to my mom though.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
At the time I would've spent part of it on a vacation home and/or trips and saved a portion, maybe invest.

Now, I would probably save a bigger portion and also give some to my parents... and buy a smaller vacation house and take a simpler trip lol.

I've always been careful with money so I don't think teenage me would've spent it too irresponsibly.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
19, huh? I would've bought a house with it to get away from my psychopathic older brother, with whom I still lived at home at that time.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

130k out of nowhere on top of your income is different than 130k in income that's mostly spent on expenses.