• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What does the next Xbox need to do to get your money?

• Give me the prettiest graphics!

Votes: 128 8.0%
  • As long as its cheaper than PS5...

Votes: 32 2.0%
  • Software is king.

Votes: 1,446 90.0%

• Total voters

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
I'm gonna buy every console, no matter what. Really though, my main console will always be the one my friends are on.
Pretty much this, although games and friends lists would keep Xbox in the fold regardless. My "main", if such thing exists, will still likely be Xbox as long as their multiple system profile syncing continues to work as it does today.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I figured you'd be the last person who would want to see Microsoft acquire Sony.

LMAO

My point is, exclusives that panders to my tastes :)

I can see me buying a NextBox if they really start pumping out stuff like the Horizon-esque new Fable by PlayGround (assuming we are talking about an Action RPG).

Also, if they buy CD Projekt RED I will have no choice so there is that

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Lost odyssey 2
after star wars license expires from EA have obsidian do another KOTOR

just give me all those good RPGs again!!!!!!

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft has to do one thing for me to buy their next console:

Release a new Fable and don't bring it to pc. But in all likelyhood if they bring out a new one they'll bring it for pc, so I'll just play it there.

Oct 25, 2017
Primarily games, though power is nice. I'm looking forward to seeing how MS's new acquisitions play out, but I think we'll be waiting a few more years before those really bear fruit.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm already fairly on board with them. It's my console of choice in terms of feature set, and the exclusives it has also tends to click with me far more than Sony's style. I'll likely end up playing most of my multiplatforms on whichever console is the strongest though, so the next Xbox being the most powerful would probably be the most important for me to primarily game on it.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
LMAO

My point is, exclusives that panders to my tastes :)

I can see me buying a NextBox if they really start pumping out stuff like the Horizon-esque new Fable by PlayGround (assuming we are talking about an Action RPG).

Also, if they buy CD Projekt RED I will have no choice so there is that

With how Poland cherishes that developer I don't see that happening. CD PJ RED has helped put Poland on the map for un-tapped talent.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Lack of exclusive games I want to play is the main reason I've barely touched my XB1 this gen except as a Blu-ray/streaming box.
Even with their exclusives coming to PC now, I don't think I've played any of them there.

Lost interest in Halo, haven't been into Gears since 2, and was never a fan of the Forza games which doesn't leave me with much.

I mainly keep my XB1S in case I ever want to play a backward compatible game (the few that aren't on PC like Crackdown 1 or Fable 2) and for the Rare Replay Collection and MCC (God I wish they'd bring both of those to PC).

Only Microsoft exclusives I still have a little interest in playing are Recore, Halo Wars 2, and Crackdown 3.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is nothing Microsoft can do to win me back at this point. I used to game on pc and 360. My 360 red-ringed 3 times and then they told me that I would have to pay to get it repaired. I also had a bunch of games on GFWL, and that was a complete fiasco. Now I own a ps4 and Switch, and I wouldn't buy a pc game from Microsoft's app store if my life depended on it. Horrible company honestly.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Needs to have games I actually give a shit about and that I can't just get on PC.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Game Pass is fucking incredible. I've always been a Sony boy (for obvious reasons) I finally got a BoneX and was blown away by gamepass, it's so satisfying to have a full swath of games right out the gate.

If Sony does this with PS5, it's probably game over.

squilliedee

Jan 4, 2019
Im already onboard regardless, I've been a part of their ecosystem for a long time and I have a great digital collection. Plus I'm loving the direction they are going with Game Pass

Dr. Mario

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Those poll results, lol. Probably not super indicative of the bigger market, but I think we can consider ourselves influencers, so MS should know what's up.

I moved over from 360 to PS4, not because of teh graphix or the price or the Kinect (though all of them made it easier), but well before the next gen consoles were even announced, because of the exclusives.

Microsoft starts releasing big budget singleplayer exclusives, I'm right back.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
If they put out high quality single player games without any microtransactions and whatnot over a period of several years I might consider a box, however it's a very hard sale for me considering the shit they pulled off in the 2000s regarding paid FUD against linux and balmer calling it for cancer. When you have a company that toxic I tend to stay away from it if possible.

Now if they made xbox it's own separate company completely outside of microsoft it would be much more palpable.

But yeah, software is always king when it comes to games, all the other stuff is just fluff.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Software is king, couldn't put it better myself.

I bought the Xbox One for Halo MCC and Halo 5. Both were how I felt about the Xbox One.

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
As many have noted, it's all about AAA quality games, especially those of the narrative driven type. Enough with the half baked GaaS model. *coughs* Sea of Thieves....

Xbox is still my main system I play on

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want the most powerful machine, period. I can afford a PS5 just for the exclusives for that system

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess software? Outside of being invested in the eco-system, Halo and Forza Horizon are the big hooks for me.

But I'm already "won over", if I wasn't already, I would probably just go with the cheapest hardware assuming the power gap wasn't astronomical.

Adam802

Banned
Feb 12, 2018
They already have me, just build good hardware and make good use of the new studios theyve recently aquired.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Considering my favourite type of games are jrpgs, platformers and narrative driven single player games I've made peace at this stage that Microsoft are never likely to have enough for my tastes.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Not require a stable 24/7 internet connection. I can accept having to check in online occasionally but if they boot me out of games because my connection was lost briefly then I can live without Xbox. Big fan of the Xbox ecosystem so they just need to make sure they don't do a monumental fuck-up like that.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Games. I bought a PS4 because I needed a PS4 to play the incredible game Sony have been producing recently, simple as. Microsoft can win me over by doing exactly the same thing.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
There's not much reason *for me* to invest in one of their consoles since all of their first party titles are getting PC versions. I sold my XB1X a month ago which I bought last summer and probably turned it on 5 times.

They're getting my money one way or another.

TheZodiacAge

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
When it comes to their Console i will never buy one from them ever again.

They have technically a PC Store now and if it were a good one i could play the few games that are worth to own on there.

Playstation will always have their library full of 3rd Party (Japanese) games that will never make it onto other platforms and some maybe make it not even onto PC without a longer wait.
It also has a huge library of AAA Exclusives and provide them usually over a whole Gen.
Playstation will also always have the bigger Multiplayer Base for certain games focuses more on Europe or aren't shooters in general and for them i would play on PC anyway too.

You basically need the Playstation to experience a certain set of games especially from different Genres.
You don't need a Xbox anymore because you can simply get their couple games a Gen on PC and there even with cheap Keys saving a lot of money.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Not enough choices there. All consoles have plenty of content. My #1 platform is based on the best controller since I'm using the controller in 100% of games I'm playing.

Kris1977

Nov 25, 2017
The problem now for me is the amount of money I have invested digitally in the ps4. So if Sony offers backwards compatibility there is zero point in moving over even if there is a power difference in favour of Microsoft.

If Sony don't offer backwards compatibility and Microsoft do however, then that's a different ball game.