• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Are you kidding? It would be awesome! I'd be the first in line for The Mario Kart Experience. Throwing fruit and turtle shells at people has been my life long dream of mine.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
It would trigger in me a reconsideration of my relationship with fiction. Investment in fictional worlds is becoming futile and Disney is making it clear that engaging with media as a "universe" or iconographic entity is unhealthy. We are at the whim of corporations, themselves at the whim of the lowest common denominator.

Foxashel

Banned
Jul 18, 2019
Scorsese would dunk on Nintendo, accusing them of not being real cinema because they were never real video games. And he would be right.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Why would I want Disney, an all-consuming conglomerate not guaranteed to treat its purchased properties right, to buy one of the longest lasting modern companies, relatively small and independent compared to others in their market?

I'd panic for them, honestly.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Disney wouldn't buy Nintendo. Not after they shut down their video game division and made it clear they would stick to other video game companies to adapt their IP.

That said if they did buy Nintendo expect layoffs and closures of studios. Just like what happened when they bought 20th Century Fox.

Last edited:

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Its incredible how obsessed people on this forum are with Disney vacuuming up every company and property ever. When the Spiderman issue happened with Sony there were tons of people saying shit like "put Sony out of their misery, their film studio is trash and Disney can make use of their IPs". Then you had the thread about iger wanting to buy bond and people talking about how Disney could do it right. Disney is one of the scariest corporations given how successful they've been at making people cheer on their overwhelming growth as they continue to absorb every ip ever.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
for sake of humoring the idea (not saying it'd be a good/bad/possible thing)... let's say if it were to happen, disney's so large at this point and nintendo is so much it's own sovereign entity, i'm not sure a whole lot would change. though 10-20 years later as dedicated hardware is a harder sell Disney would "gobble it up" probably

Last edited:

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Jesus Christ, the amount of our popular culture that Disney owns already is disgusting enough as it is. Like them or not, Nintendo is a good example of a large, global company that still has some decent creative integrity left in them. So let's not.

Jan 18, 2018
Jesus Christ, the amount of our popular culture that Disney owns already is disgusting enough as it is. Like them or not, Nintendo is a good example of a large, global company that still has some decent creative integrity left in them. So let's not.
Yeah, I don't want to see them get any closer to a monopoly than they already are.

Oct 27, 2017
Nah.

If anything, I would love for Disney to buy Capcom. Megaman would be propped up as a kid friendly entity in all sorts of media (like how Nick does for TMNT) and Marvel vs Capcom would be preserved for all time. Just imagine a Capcom film universe where it leads to a MVC film...

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Their corporate culture is completely different and it would ruin everything special about Nintendo.

Marufuku

Feb 27, 2018
Nintendo doesn't own Pokémon. The Pokémon Company does. They are separate.

https://swordshield.pokemon.com/en-us/

v2hPpeE.jpg

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/events/101029/05.html

iQTloMp.jpg

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/en/outline/index.html

ynVBEil.jpg

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
apart from how they won't allow it, disney still seems to think video games are just a passing fad

Marufuku

Feb 27, 2018

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
They'd shut Nintendo down like they do whenever they try to make games.

Netflix should buy Sony though.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
for sake of humoring the idea (not saying it'd be a good/bad/possible thing)... let's say if it were to happen, disney's so large at this point and nintendo is so much it's own sovereign entity, i'm not sure a whole lot would change. though 10-20 years later as dedicated hardware is a harder sell they would "gobble it up" probably

That's kind of my thought, I mean you don't have to be worried about non-family friendly content from Nintendo. And due to the fact that Disney, does not do video games, I'd hope they will let it run a bit independently.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Universal would be pissed. Their unintentional tradition of building/planning theme park lands only for them to become Disney properties would continue.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Its incredible how obsessed people on this forum are with Disney vacuuming up every company and property ever. When the Spiderman issue happened with Sony there were tons of people saying shit like "put Sony out of their misery, their film studio is trash and Disney can make use of their IPs". Then you had the thread about iger wanting to buy bond and people talking about how Disney could do it right. Disney is one of the scariest corporations given how successful they've been at making people cheer on their overwhelming growth as they continue to absorb every ip ever.

...if they have more people like Feige around that know and care about the franchises then i don't see how it's so negative like you put it. The way they handled Marvel and star wars (until solo happened) was great.

For all this doom talk let's not forget what kind of output disney releases yearly, be it animation studios, pixar, etc. They are the kings for a reason, with probably the best legacy ever.

Deleted member 2085

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
...if they have more people like Feige around that know and care about the franchises then i don't see how it's so negative like you put it. The way they handled Marvel and star wars (until solo happened) was great.

For all this doom talk let's not forget what kind of output disney releases yearly, be it animation studios, pixar, etc. They are the kings for a reason, with probably the best legacy ever.
Not with video games though.

And if they did have a positive turn out like some people in this thread want to imagine they would with Disney buying Nintendo, that still doesn't take away from the fact that it's Disney buying another company. They don't need that kind of growth, they're beyond fine as it is.

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
I would like to believe Nintendo have the integrity to not sell out like that. At least I believe Iwata would never do something like that.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I don't think Nintendo is for sale sheerly under pride. Personally Disney has purchased enough right now. Plus I'd not trust them regarding remaining in the hardware business.

But if there's anyone that can keep Nintendo's vision regards family entertainment it's Disney.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i don't think it'd be bad.

will never happen though.

Deleted member 41502

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 28, 2018
This would be truly awful.

Thankfully I don't think the Japanese government would allow it. It's too ingrained as a cultural pride point for them. Mario is basically the face of the upcoming Tokyo Olympics.
Heh. Yeah when you land in Kyoto there's a huge Mario display to greet you.

Disney has already driven their own video game divisions into the ground a few times. I don't see them in a hurry to do it again.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I assume theme parks would be fast tracked more than anything

The video game division would probably be left to essentially self-operate with minor oversight, like Marvel Comics. At least for a few years. Disney doesn't really have any reason to interfere when they have limited, poor experience with the space.

We'd get Nintendo-made Marvel and Star Wars games, maybe even an Avatar thing from Monolith Soft because why not

The first movies and shows would probably be Disney+ exclusive and focus mainly on the smaller properties. Things like the Pikmin shorts Miyamoto directed.

A Mario movie would be inevitable but I figure it'd take a few years - longer than The Force Awakens took. Zelda might also be pretty early because Disney doesn't really have a live-action fantasy property, even as much as I'd prefer it to be animated by the Tangled team.