• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I wasn't as pissed about Rogue displacing Kitty's role in the first movie, mostly because I was a 90s (cartoon) kid and expected Jubilee. I was more upset at Rogue's portrayal. A scared, joyless, sad-sack. And she never snapped out of it!

As for my ideas for the competent team, I've expressed them in previous threads along these lines, but I can't help but feel that my desire for a competent team is now reinforced by my disappointment in the Doom Patrol show, now on HBO Max (and I've read and loved Morrison's run, but no show can live up to that, so that's not the issue). I'm only 3-4 episodes in, but I can't shake the feeling of "been there, done that", from which no amount of Alan Tudyk snark can rescue it. Depressed, insecure, traumatized misfits can't hold it together long enough to get shit done until they bond as a (dysfunctional) family and then sort of get it done. There've already been so many examples in this century in TV and film, even outside the realm of superheroes. The new X-Men doesn't have to follow suit, and I will be profoundly disappointed if it does.

Rogue was a piss poor replacement. Her powers make no sense in this context. Also, I was hot that the one Jewish character(that's I related to!) was replaced by the Southern Belle character, and then to compensate they removed the Southern Belle part. Fuck off with all of that.

To your point, it wasn't even a good Rogue, so Rogue fans lost too. Everyone lost as there is a generation that thinks this crap is what the X-Men are supposed to be!

It doesn't have to be 1 to 1 with the comics, there is always adaptation, but you have to at least get the premise and tone of the characters right. You have to give a shit about these characters.

So the answer to what I want is someone in charge who gives a shit. The rest will flow from there. In Feige I have trust.

MoosetheMark

May 3, 2019
While the original X-Men films were coded as a metaphor for LGBTQ rights, I think given the current cultural moment it could return to being allegory for the civil rights movement. I think Professor X and Magneto should be Black with a more thorough exploration of the MLK/Malcom dynamic.

Basically I just really want Lance Reddick as Professor X.

And way more Cyclops obviously.

Mar 30, 2019
I just want an actual Rogue and Gambit flirt fest for once. Some Morlock arc with Storm too. Just something more street-level and without the world saving. I hope this doesn't bite me in the ass with a CW tier tv series instead.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
WW2 is not a good starting point for Magneto anymore unless you want him to be a legacy character, which would be a waste.

I know how /important/ it is, but the message doesn't resonate with the new generation. Hell, some of them are nazis themselves.

Magneto needs a new backstory and that's too difficult to pull off, if even possible.

From that point of view, any new Xmen feature is gonna have to work with the other stories and characters. Which is exciting from a storytelling perspective, but a bit melancholic in that we'll be losing a really strong part of what makes the personal conflict so engaging.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Can't really suggest and arcs or storylines but I'd say lineup would be the animated series lineup with Iceman. They'd really need to have Cyclops be a great leader. Can't have it be the Prof X show or Wolverine show and leave him and everyone else in the dust.

It's insane that the 2 leaders of the X-Men have gotten what feels like no time to lead. Storm in the last movie was having a tough time with dreadlock guy for Christ's sake lol.

Oh and no cameos but maybe hints or Easter eggs so we know some other big names are out there. Maybe reference Prof X's half bro or Cyclops dead bros or Rogue's mom.

Oct 27, 2017
WW2 is not a good starting point for Magneto anymore unless you want him to be a legacy character, which would be a waste.

I know how /important/ it is, but the message doesn't resonate with the new generation. Hell, some of them are nazis themselves.

Magneto needs a new backstory and that's too difficult to pull off, if even possible.

From that point of view, any new Xmen feature is gonna have to work with the other stories and characters. Which is exciting from a storytelling perspective, but a bit melancholic in that we'll be losing a really strong part of what makes the personal conflict so engaging.

I'd say Magneto travelling around and killing Nazis is even more timely than it was back then. Hell you could pretty easily construct a story where todays right wingers are the enemies of the mutants.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
I want a lot more Cyclops than we've previously had. Also don't erase Magneto's Jewish background please.

SilentSoldier

Oct 27, 2017
Well with X-Men in the MCU, they can have Rogue get her powers from Ms Marvel. Allows for some cross promotion or whatever.

Either way, I still think that X2, First Class, DOFP, and Logan were great films

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017

I'm not seeing how Magneto's backstory is invalidated just because hateful ideology still exists. Hell to me it makes it more relevant

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Previous versions of this post have killed threads, let's see if it's still cursed.

Keep it simple; Xavier is a young mutant recruited by SHIELD to help track and understand the emergence of mutants in the 80's and early 90's. The taskforce works from an underground base in Westchester, NY, where devices such as Cerebro are built to enhance Xavier's abilities. During his time there, Xavier not only discovers that SHIELD is partially responsible for mutation, but that the world is about to radically change. SHIELD buries the entire project, but Xavier uses his powers to keep the facility for his own purposes; to find, recruit and train mutants for the fight to come.

The first film would be set in the late 2000s; teenage Cyclops, Jean, Ice Man, Beast, and Angel, all in their mid-to-late teens. That's it, keep it simple and don't rush to introduce too many characters at once. Save your big fan favorites for later movies when they can have the most impact and we're past the "origin story" phase, when they can slide naturally into the group dynamic.

Xavier is in his late 30s / early 40s, Magneto is only shown in flashbacks if at all and isn't a presence yet; the movie is solely focused on building the first team. Really emphasize the group's differences; Scott the cocky punk, Jean the introvert, Bobby the awkward youngster, Hank the know-it-all, Warren the rich kid. Show the team struggling and slowly starting to come together so that the Obligatory Third Act Battle is the full team working in perfect harmony. Drama can revolve around the love triangle between Scott, Jean and Warren, with hints towards Bobby's homosexuality (being set in the early 00s it would still be something he would hide) and Hank feeling like a shut-in because he's the least "normal looking" of the bunch (for the sake of simplicity he should probably start off blue and shaggy). Xavier is also kind of a relentless dick and pushes his team harder than he should, which creates more friction.

The third act ties everything together nicely; Xavier has been pushing his team so hard because he starts to see signs of things escalating; the arrival of Iron Man, Hulk, etc. The surprise is that the third act runs directly parallel with the first Avengers, where the X-Men are present "just off camera" at the Battle of New York, helping from the sidelines to contain the threat.

Subsequent movies run parallel as well; Magneto's re-emergence would be triggered by the events of Age of Ultron, for example and Civil War would convince the (obviously anti-registration) Mutants to remain hidden, but it's only a matter of time before they're exposed. To deal with the time difference, Magneto's past is changed from the Holocaust to ethnic cleansing in a Sokovian civil war.

I'd like to see Xavier be a bit more fanatical and less benevolent and grandfatherly than the Fox movies; later comic arcs show how reckless he can be and how it splits the team apart. Both he and Magneto are very "ends justify the means"- types but Magneto is fire and violence whereas Xavier is more cold and calculating, but both are willing to use their powers to manipulate the situation, which can eventually backfire and feed into the anti-mutant hysteria the series is known for (having them emerge right at the same time all of these alien threats are appearing would make people suspicious).

Oct 28, 2017
DOFP wasnt perfect but it is damn sure a good xmen movie.

If we're talking MCU integration, start in the future with Hope Summers and have her story be one of the branching timelines from ENDGAME.

A friend at work had a storyline about Storm and Global Warming. How the worse the world the more out of control her powers got. If was pretty good.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Previous versions of this post have killed threads, let's see if it's still cursed.

Keep it simple; Xavier is a young mutant recruited by SHIELD to help track and understand the emergence of mutants in the 80's and early 90's. The taskforce works from an underground base in Westchester, NY, where devices such as Cerebro are built to enhance Xavier's abilities. During his time there, Xavier not only discovers that SHIELD is partially responsible for mutation, but that the world is about to radically change. SHIELD buries the entire project, but Xavier uses his powers to keep the facility for his own purposes; to find, recruit and train mutants for the fight to come.

The first film would be set in the late 2000s; teenage Cyclops, Jean, Ice Man, Beast, and Angel, all in their mid-to-late teens. That's it, keep it simple and don't rush to introduce too many characters at once. Save your big fan favorites for later movies when they can have the most impact and we're past the "origin story" phase, when they can slide naturally into the group dynamic.

Xavier is in his late 30s / early 40s, Magneto is only shown in flashbacks if at all and isn't a presence yet; the movie is solely focused on building the first team. Really emphasize the group's differences; Scott the cocky punk, Jean the introvert, Bobby the awkward youngster, Hank the know-it-all, Warren the rich kid. Show the team struggling and slowly starting to come together so that the Obligatory Third Act Battle is the full team working in perfect harmony. Drama can revolve around the love triangle between Scott, Jean and Warren, with hints towards Bobby's homosexuality (being set in the early 00s it would still be something he would hide) and Hank feeling like a shut-in because he's the least "normal looking" of the bunch (for the sake of simplicity he should probably start off blue and shaggy). Xavier is also kind of a relentless dick and pushes his team harder than he should, which creates more friction.

The third act ties everything together nicely; Xavier has been pushing his team so hard because he starts to see signs of things escalating; the arrival of Iron Man, Hulk, etc. The surprise is that the third act runs directly parallel with the first Avengers, where the X-Men are present "just off camera" at the Battle of New York, helping from the sidelines to contain the threat.

Subsequent movies run parallel as well; Magneto's re-emergence would be triggered by the events of Age of Ultron, for example and Civil War would convince the (obviously anti-registration) Mutants to remain hidden, but it's only a matter of time before they're exposed. To deal with the time difference, Magneto's past is changed from the Holocaust to ethnic cleansing in a Sokovian civil war.

I'd like to see Xavier be a bit more fanatical and less benevolent and grandfatherly than the Fox movies; later comic arcs show how reckless he can be and how it splits the team apart. Both he and Magneto are very "ends justify the means"- types but Magneto is fire and violence whereas Xavier is more cold and calculating, but both are willing to use their powers to manipulate the situation, which can eventually backfire and feed into the anti-mutant hysteria the series is known for (having them emerge right at the same time all of these alien threats are appearing would make people suspicious).
This is the same sort of shared universe streamlining that the Ultimate Universe did with the X-Men, and personally I never liked it as it takes these allegories for racial and sexual minorities and turns them into unnatural aberrations just like the bigots in universe have always said.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I'd like a focus on one or more of the younger Xman characters. No Hugh Jackman pls

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Outback era X-Men with Donald Pierce and the Reavers as the main villains. The team would be Storm, Dazzler, Longshot, Colossus, Havok, Psylocke (the original British version not Jim Lee's ninja), Rogue, and Wolverine. Gateway would be there to teleport them as well.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
51PTE4YFFGL.jpg

91WSlSO22iL._SL1500_.jpg

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the same sort of shared universe streamlining that the Ultimate Universe did with the X-Men, and personally I never liked it as it takes these allegories for racial and sexual minorities and turns them into unnatural aberrations just like the bigots in universe have always said.

Which is absolutely fair, and the context of that initial post was "how do you integrate X-men into the MCU" so... that was the goal, and it's very likely Disney will attempt to do the same. It's going to be hard to square the circle of mutants existing for so long without being discovered or even stepping up when obvious end-of-the-world events occur. I feel like mutations could have been something that was happening already (see older mutants like Wolverine, Apocalypse, etc.) but Endgame time-travel shenanigans accelerated, so that by the time the X-Films have caught up to the rest of the MCU, you have Xavier in his 50s, most of the first class in their 30s, but most importantly a whole new generation of mutants starting to be discovered all over the world. I feel like it's important that mutants are introduced over a long span instead of all at once, and in staggered ages so you can have young members like Kitty Pride join up at a young age and there's already a group of older mutants on the team.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
I know like half the X-Men movies suck, but I feel like at their best they cover stories and emotions that the MCU would never touch. Hopefully MCU starts to branch out a little more in terms of tone and content as we move into the next couple of phases and X-Men are introduced.

sven

Oct 31, 2017
It would look like a really high budget TV show. I'm not convinced they can be done properly in movie form.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
MCU right? Wouldn't mind a disney+ series for the mutant introduction and schooling, then movies.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Something Sinister This Way Comes
1)Mr Sinister experimenting on mutants. Stealing them and basically being a horror/thriller with the Xmen trying to figure out what's going on lead by Cyclops, Storm, Beast. Thinking something like Se7en.
latest

Messiah Complex
2)Sinister experiments on himself to become as he looks in the comics, and foils the teams attempts to defend against him. Captures a few members of the Xmen to create some guards for himself, maybe put the 4 horsemen in there or make some new re-engineered characters. Something like Terminator, just a relentless pursuit by a villain they can't really understand (yet).
latest
latest

Ultimate Xmen
3)The team struggles to overcome Sinister but does. In the struggle, they had to kill the transformed members to achieve victory, but in a bittersweet end they gain some new mutants he was experimenting on (make Cable a genetic manipulation project without the clone Jean and stuff) who join their school and have potential. A Logan ending.
large-DCD321689.jpg

A trilogy to build a good, nuanced villain and stakes (and I'm a fan of darker storylines with real losses)

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Easy, have the actual X-men be the focus of the fucking movies and not be an afterthought.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Give me Hickman's X-Men.

I want these baller ass mofos to shit all over everyone that's not a mutant.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017

Basically, these are the two good ones, with a few others being ok to solid.

Being a good movie does not equate to being a good comic book adaptation, that's not how movies are judged and never should be. That goes for any comic property or novel.

That being said, a more comic accurate X-Men is a solid route to go from this point on. We don't need another X2, Logan, or Days of Future Past. Same for Batman, as we've seen many types onscreen thus far, but something close to the animated series would be nice.

junk

Nov 1, 2017
first movie will be either a streamlined adaption of Jim Lee's initial 3-4 issues on Xmen ( not uncanny ) against Magneto & the Acolytes or the original 80's cartoon pilot on Asteroid M vs the Brotherhood. That'd be the way to go.

I wouldn't be opposed to an adaption of Astonishing Xmen either, because that read like a tribute and a true sequel to the classic status quo of the 80s and early 90s Xmen.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
X-Men would be better served as a serial TV show than a movie franchise IMO. Fans are asking too much to have so many characters fleshed out in 2 hour chunks.

Also I find it hilariously sad that there hasn't been an actual large scale Magneto vs the X-Men fight before lol.

Mat-triX

Oct 27, 2017
It's a school full of weirdos, and sometimes they put on spandex to fight weirdo delinquents. Just do that and don't have the world end for once.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
The question Kevin Feige asks himself wvery morning when he's brushing his teeth.

Mutants are in hiding or have been eradicated so when a new generation are popping powers thanks to two massive power surges and being beaten and locked up and taken by men in unmarked vans, the X-men are fucking pisssd and come out of hiding.

and so does Magneto and he's even more pissed.

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
I've disliked pretty much every X-men movie so far with the exception being Logan.

I have a soft spot for the 90s X-Men so I would love to see a film include those costumes. You would think if Disney is going to do their own thing and reboot than Magneto should be the primary villain. I think Mr Sinister could be a really cool option also but he should be held for a sequel.

Since Jackman won't be coming back as far as we know I think Richard Armitage would be a good option for a new Wolverine.

_75997045_richardarmitage.jpg

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
That could be an interesting way to explain why the mutants weren't showing up at all in the MCU before Infinity Wars/Endgame.

Yeah, I can't take credit for the idea, but it would be a very elegant way of introducing them without contradicting anything. However, it would be difficult to keep Magneto's Holocaust origin story intact in a 2019 timeframe, which I feel is essential to the character.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I can't take credit for the idea, but it would be a very elegant way of introducing them without contradicting anything. However, it would be difficult to keep Magneto's Holocaust origin story intact in a 2019 timeframe, which I feel is essential to the character.
I could possibly see them changing Magneto's origin since it's been 80 years since the 1940s and would require Magento to be pretty old for him to have been alive during the Holocaust.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
The MCU X-Men always existed, they were wiped from the timeline when Wanda was with Hydra.

So they come back and are fucking pissed with everyone, especially Wanda